Purely Amateur: Evolution

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

Postby Q. » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:41 pm

by SAFooty's Quichey

Ask any of the stalwarts propped up at your local footy club’s bar and they will tell you how amateur football has changed greatly from their adolescent days. Just make sure you ask them while they’re on their first or second stubby so that you get the unembellished version.

Sure, the game is faster and the skills are better, they’ll say, but it isn’t as rough now as it was back then. Whaddya mean, you ask. And you are regaled with tales pinch hitters coming off the bench to administer king hits and violent all-in brawls with spectators spilling into the action. They’ll tell you of the bloody repercussions for getting mouthy with the fella that must have been on day release and the psychopaths that you just plain steered clear of. Yep, those were the days, rough as guts.

So what has changed? Have the new generations been mollycoddled by their mothers into a bunch of pack-skirting nancy-boys afraid of a bit of biff in fear it will knock their fringes out of place? The answer to that is no (those types generally steer toward playing soccer). The physical element is very much alive, but you won’t see it too often in a roundhouse haymaker, rather, you’ll be gifted with the scene of a young lad running fifty metres back with the flight of the ball to make a contest on the outer wing. The heavy bump still frequents the game, but with the elbow tucked in, and you’re bound to see a wrestle or two, but it usually dissipates back into playing the ball. It’s cleaner, but it’s still the hard game we all grew up with and wish we could still watch on the television.

The responsibility for the change cannot lie with a single entity. I’m sure league administrators would love to lay claim with their introduction of harsher penalties. No doubt that this kind of deterrence plays a role, but I think it runs deeper than that. Clubs are a little more business-like these days and stake a degree of importance in image and what naturally follows is that most coaches then expect a reasonable level of discipline on the field. No club wants to be labelled with the thuggery tag and no coach wants to put the umpires off side before the first bounce because of such a tag. The thugs are being weeded out from all angles.

Currently, it is at the amateur level that I believe we can find the perfect balance between hardness and personal safety. It is a full contact sport and injuries are part of the game, but at this level we still allow for the heavy, but fair, contact that makes the raw game unique and great to watch. And gone are the days where you spent half a match looking over your shoulder.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Re: Purely Amateur: Evolution

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:26 pm

Yep Quichey, gone are the days of travelling to Wingfield Royals with your own safety the main concern (not from the players I might add, more the spectators). Gone are the police patrols to Norwood Union's ground (Brookway Oval) but that was more for fear of incidents on field unfortunately. I remember a story from a club nearby me in the same grade at the time where a CHB was put in the boot of his car and whisked away at 3/4 time for fear of retribution for an incident on ground. Whether or not anything would've happened, we obviously don't know.

This is only from the early 90's as well. Not that long ago! Many may say the same about the club I played for in the early 90's, I'm not sure.

I really think the major player in making the game more 'safe' is the amateur league itself. I remember several times during the early 90's where Wingfield and Norwood Union were told, amongst other clubs, to tidy their acts up or be kicked out of the competition. I know of one instance where one of our players, during a C grade game brought a foreign object on field with him and was instantly banned for ever by the club. Whether the club would've taken that stance if not for the amateur league, I don't know. So yeh, clubs might like to think they are harsher, but they may fear retribution from above if they don't adhere. Also, like the club I was involved in, I tried to make it clear in my latter years that allowing that type of element in the club brings in other like minded souls. Ridding yourself of that element also makes for a more family orientated club and breeds familiarity and stability which every club these days seems to be after.

I distinctly remember standing a bloke at West Lakes who walked up to me in one of my first games, stood there for a moment, then took a big swing and connected with my jaw. He was known to test the younger guys out in the opposition teams. I think those days are gone thankfully!

Just a footnote, I played till the early 00's and was involved with clubs till the mid 00's and can attest that the game was totally different to the one I started playing. Much quicker, much more skilled and MUCH more running.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Qu

Postby JK » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:05 pm

Good posts lads, something I've thought about quite a bit over the years.

I think Amateur League is a classic example of improved methods filtering down from the top.

For some time now there have been courses available for coaching accreditation which either didnt exist or were much rarer back in the early 90's (and obviously before hand).

Of course all of this flows through to not only senior footy but also junior development.

This has increased the fitness, speed and style of footy - Almost as if you compared 1970's SANFL with the 2010 model)

Sure you still get your blues in the Ammos, but I've not heard of any instances in recent memory that mirror the stories that you've been told Quichey (and make no mistake, those situations did occur).

I think you make an excellent point about Amateur (and I would guess country) League providing that great combination of football use and physicality.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Big Phil » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:09 am

gadj1976 wrote:I distinctly remember standing a bloke at West Lakes who walked up to me in one of my first games, stood there for a moment, then took a big swing and connected with my jaw. He was known to test the younger guys out in the opposition teams. I think those days are gone thankfully!

I had a very similiar experience in one of my first senior games, playing for Eastern Park. I was only 18 or 19, we played Wingfield Royals at home. I was thrown to CHB to stand the big tatooed thug for the Royals who had kicked 3 or 4 goals in the opening half.

My coach instructed me to play a close checking role and to always 'feel' my opponent and to 'punch from behind'. Little did I know that the best punch was going to come from my opponent !!

The ball was down Eatern Park's end after I had just run of my guy, who was too big and lazy to chase me. With our side having a shot for goal, I took the opportunity to walk over to our water boy and grab a drink.

We had kicked the goal thanks to me running off my guy and hitting our full forward on the chest so I had a few team-mates come up to me and give me a pat on the backside. Upon returning to my opponent, standing next to him 'feeling' him with a half outstretched arm I watched our side win the next centre clearance and take the ball into our forward line again.

Next thing I know I'm down at the Elizabeth medical clinic with a slight concussion and a gash under my chin requiring a dozen stitches. The bloody thug had given me an uppercut when I wasn't looking and with no provocation or reason just whacked me !!

Needless to say, I agree that as a whole, those days have gone from local footy, but after that day, always hated playing Wingfield Royals !!!
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 274 times

Postby beef » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:35 pm

Big Phil wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:I distinctly remember standing a bloke at West Lakes who walked up to me in one of my first games, stood there for a moment, then took a big swing and connected with my jaw. He was known to test the younger guys out in the opposition teams. I think those days are gone thankfully!

I had a very similiar experience in one of my first senior games, playing for Eastern Park. I was only 18 or 19, we played Wingfield Royals at home. I was thrown to CHB to stand the big tatooed thug for the Royals who had kicked 3 or 4 goals in the opening half.

My coach instructed me to play a close checking role and to always 'feel' my opponent and to 'punch from behind'. Little did I know that the best punch was going to come from my opponent !!

The ball was down Eatern Park's end after I had just run of my guy, who was too big and lazy to chase me. With our side having a shot for goal, I took the opportunity to walk over to our water boy and grab a drink.

We had kicked the goal thanks to me running off my guy and hitting our full forward on the chest so I had a few team-mates come up to me and give me a pat on the backside. Upon returning to my opponent, standing next to him 'feeling' him with a half outstretched arm I watched our side win the next centre clearance and take the ball into our forward line again.

Next thing I know I'm down at the Elizabeth medical clinic with a slight concussion and a gash under my chin requiring a dozen stitches. The bloody thug had given me an uppercut when I wasn't looking and with no provocation or reason just whacked me !!

Needless to say, I agree that as a whole, those days have gone from local footy, but after that day, always hated playing Wingfield Royals !!!

havent things changed now big phil
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 257 times

Postby Big Phil » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:41 am

beef wrote:
Big Phil wrote:

havent things changed now big phil

Yeah, you're right Beef :lol:

Let's tell all the forumites how you got the nickname 'Beef' ;)

P.S - Beef and Big Phil know each other personally and are just having a dig :D
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 274 times

Postby FattyLumpkin » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:40 pm

Great post & for some perverse reason, brings a nostalgic smile as I recall also being on the receiving end of a behind the play "special".

My first A grade game & the ball just followed me in the first 15 mins or so. Couldn't do a thing wrong as was thinking to myself "how easy is the A grade caper". On bagging my second goal, the runner came out to my opponent, with what I thought was the "closer checking" message. Nup - at the bounce I was on the deck with a nose all over my face. Our "experienced" full foward was there in seconds to even the score & the "all in" erupted.

Now having recounted that story - I must state it was the only time I ever experienced such blatant behind the play thuggery in about 15 years of Ammos. Sure some niggling, the odd fight, but no out & out thuggery. My recollections of my Ammo playing days were the humurous moments, the chat on the field with opponents & the regular beer after the game, whether playing at Riverside, Rosies, Broadview, Greenacres, Gepps Cross, Uni or St Peters.

But I agree, the game has cleaned up, sped up, players much fitter with far greater skills than my day. Why?

2 umps, plus umps who are prepared to report the dirty player. Often in lower grades the ump seemed to see the infringement, but he too wanted to get out alive, so ignored it. The grounds are better, not the bogs of yesteryear which allows a faster game. 20 stone tatooed thugs are now a liability. One ball per game which quickly turned into a medicine ball ensured a huge pack, with none of the silky skills of someone running flat chat & nailing the full forward lace out. As a society we are also far more aware of our rights & responsibilities. What did I do back then - nothing - it was just part of footy & a "learning experience". What would I do nowadays? I think legal action appropriate. My observations was that many did take legal action from the mid-80's onwards. Many thugs learnt via a hit to the hip pocket. Fitness a huge improvement which has sped up the game. Gone is the 4 week pre-season (2 weeks for the old-timers). Skills gone the same way - back then ones left foot was for standing on when kicking - nowadays virtually everyone has 2 sides - Auskick???

Cheers
With your hands on your head, or the trigger of your gun
FattyLumpkin
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Sojourner » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:34 am

These days if you go and pop someone on the field you can expect to be in front of a magistrate in the Civil Court. If found guilty it usually starts at 5k compensation. I suspect this is more the reason why things have quietened down somewhat!
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Drop Bear » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:52 am

Sojourner wrote:These days if you go and pop someone on the field you can expect to be in front of a magistrate in the Civil Court. If found guilty it usually starts at 5k compensation. I suspect this is more the reason why things have quietened down somewhat!

And for good reason as well. I've got no time for thuggery.
1. M Hayden.
Drop Bear
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues