Females in Football

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

Re: Females in Football

Postby Mythical Creature » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:48 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Hey KLAG up to what age can girls play junior footy with the boys?

I coach Under 10's and have a girl that goes pretty well, and towels up a heap of the boys :lol: but wondering what her options are in the near future if she wants to stay in the game.

Under 14's is the cut-off. After that they have to play girls or womens.

Correct, but I think they are allowed to play 1 year above their age group (at least in the APFL they definately can). Last year I had 2 girls play in my U/14 side that turned 15 during the season but the league gives automatic permits for girls if they are 1 year out of the age group.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby Footy Smart » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:46 pm

Hey KLAG

Just want to say that the Port Adelaide support staff and parents were nothing short of a disgrace on the weekend. They seemed to think Football was netball and abused the umpires non stop at every tackle. At QTR time the umpires were surrounded by their parents that were continuing to abuse the umpires.... They were accusing our girls of targeting one of their good players which I can 100% deny this players name even being mentioned let alone a message from the coaches to target a player. Lucky they had a thick skin and umpired the game pretty well, although a little rattled and as the umpire said the worst bump/tackle of the game was a port player on a MFC player :oops: .

Our girls are learning the game and have far more to worry about than targeting the opposition players. Well thats my rant over but thought it should be said, because it was one of the more average displays of 'supporting' / 'officialling' I have seen in Football.

A blight on what is a fantastic competition

keep up your good work.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:43 pm

Footy Smart wrote:Hey KLAG

Just want to say that the Port Adelaide support staff and parents were nothing short of a disgrace on the weekend. They seemed to think Football was netball and abused the umpires non stop at every tackle. At QTR time the umpires were surrounded by their parents that were continuing to abuse the umpires.... They were accusing our girls of targeting one of their good players which I can 100% deny this players name even being mentioned let alone a message from the coaches to target a player. Lucky they had a thick skin and umpired the game pretty well, although a little rattled and as the umpire said the worst bump/tackle of the game was a port player on a MFC player :oops: .

Our girls are learning the game and have far more to worry about than targeting the opposition players. Well thats my rant over but thought it should be said, because it was one of the more average displays of 'supporting' / 'officialling' I have seen in Football.

keep up your good work.

Juniors or seniors?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7945 times

Postby Footy Smart » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:46 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:Hey KLAG

keep up your good work.

Juniors or seniors?

Seniors mate
Footy Smart
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:52 pm

Footy Smart wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Juniors or seniors?

Seniors mate

Seen your girls play and that perception couldn't be further from the truth, the are intimidated more than intimidating.
I'd expect better from the maggies given who is involved out there, poor form.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby kicks.like.a.girl » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:08 pm

Sorry for the lack of reply Footy Smart & LM... looks like i've missed a bit of action whilst on my travels

All clubs in the SAWFL have girls enter their teams each year with no knowledge of football. With alot of new 16, 17 & 18 year olds playing it is always going to be a learning curve for those new younger players AND the new parents to the game too.

I'm sorry that you both feel that way. I hope one game hasn't put you off supporting the SAWFL, or more so Modbury for you Footy Smart.

Will either of you be at the Centrals vs Modbury game on Saturday night? I'll give you each a pink footy as my way of saying sorry... i realise a pink footy isn't going to fix much, but i think they're pretty cool :d lol
www.facebook.com/sa.femalefootball ...

www.facebook.com/sfcwomens ...

GET AROUND IT!!!
kicks.like.a.girl
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:12 pm

kicks.like.a.girl wrote:Sorry for the lack of reply Footy Smart & LM... looks like i've missed a bit of action whilst on my travels

All clubs in the SAWFL have girls enter their teams each year with no knowledge of football. With alot of new 16, 17 & 18 year olds playing it is always going to be a learning curve for those new younger players AND the new parents to the game too.

I'm sorry that you both feel that way. I hope one game hasn't put you off supporting the SAWFL, or more so Modbury for you Footy Smart.

Will either of you be at the Centrals vs Modbury game on Saturday night? I'll give you each a pink footy as my way of saying sorry... i realise a pink footy isn't going to fix much, but i think they're pretty cool :d lol

Dont worry KLAG I will still attend (missus makes me ;) ) and have had no issue and previously mentioned i think that womens footy is a great thing and adds alot to the club in general. More clubs should look at doing it!

BUT the way these people acted cannot be defended IMO and these people from all reports know the sport well. The Match day official was one of the worst offenders and PORT should take action against them. I know MFC would take action if ours acted that way and thats in both mens and womens case.

I may be at the game saturday night depending what time we finish up in the A grade etc
Footy Smart
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:45 pm

kicks.like.a.girl wrote:Sorry for the lack of reply Footy Smart & LM... looks like i've missed a bit of action whilst on my travels

The pink footy's are cool, I might be there if I get away in time from my game.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby kicks.like.a.girl » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:23 am

GET AROUND IT!!!
kicks.like.a.girl
Under 16s

Postby kicks.like.a.girl » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:50 am

The SAWFL hosted the Inaugural U18 Youth Girls Medal Count on Wednesday Night at West Adelaide FC. The Best & Fairest Medal is named the 'Narelle Smith Medal'. Rell has been a vital lifeline in the development of Female Football since the mid 90's.

Congratulations to the two award winners;

Leading Goal Kicker- Kimberly Hunter from Morphettville Park WFC (kicked 24 goals in 9 Rounds)

Best & Fairest- Jessica Walker-Smith from Port Adelaide WFC

The U18 Youth Girls comp had four teams in its inaugural year. We see this growing rapidly over the next few years. Getting a team up and running is so unbelievably easy for those who have one or two volunteers that are willing to help. Not only does it add an extra team, and dimension to your footy club... it brings more people in to spend money.

I am willing to help ANY club that puts there hand up for a team. If you can find 5 or so girls aged between 14 & 18 years old, you already have a solid foundation to move forward.

Julie Wells & Jamie Thomas from Modbury FC have taken on the role of leading the 2013 working group. We know for sure the U18 is in great hands. If your club might be interested in looking into having an U18 Youth Girls Team there is a perfect opportunity for you to be involved. The working group will have their first meeting in the coming weeks;

When: Wednesday 27th July
Where: West Adelaide FC (Westonian Room)
Time: 7pm

The Working Group will commence the first meeting with lessons learnt from Season 2012, how to increase the competition, how to make it better, commencement dates for 2013, provision of umpires, how many teams for 2013 and where the competition will be played – just to name a few

For more info please PM me, or email me at emmag@sanfl.com.au. If you wish to attend the meeting please email Julie Wells at julie@modburyhawks.org.au

Girls Footy... Get around it! :d

GET AROUND IT!!!
kicks.like.a.girl
Under 16s

Postby Big Phil » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:51 pm

Good luck to the girls that play in the AFL curtain raiser - will be a great opportunity for them...

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/1799/
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 274 times

Postby kicks.like.a.girl » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:46 pm

AFL Women's Round this week :D

With the top 6 of the AFL ladder within one game of each other, this will prove to be a huge week for AFL football with the Crows vs West Coast game sure to bring the crowds.... If that doesn't bring you to AAMI, i know what will ;) haha

Curtain Raiser-
U16 SA State School Girls vs NEMJFA U16 Girls, 12pm start. This is the final game for the U16 State Team before they charge into the start of the National Championships on Sunday at Norwood Oval.

Half time-
Hope Valley FC down one end... AND Port Adelaide All Girls Auskick down the other. The Inaugural U12 Female Football Academy will play a game down one of the wings for the Little League.

GET AROUND IT!!!
kicks.like.a.girl
Under 16s

Postby kicks.like.a.girl » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:34 pm

GET AROUND IT!!!
kicks.like.a.girl
Under 16s

Postby kicks.like.a.girl » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:05 pm

GET AROUND IT!!!
kicks.like.a.girl
Under 16s

Postby kicks.like.a.girl » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:01 pm

I'm getting in early with this one...

CDWFC could possibly make the finals for the first time ever... but it all comes down to the final game of the season

Get around the Centrals vs Port... ladies game :d

GET AROUND IT!!!
kicks.like.a.girl
Under 16s

Postby Gozu » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:44 pm

Well done Port Adelaide:

THE Port's AFL team might be enduring some tough times, but its junior football program is breaking new ground.

The Port Adelaide Women's Football Club has become the first club in SA to hold an all-girls Auskick program.

The program, which finished this month, ran across 10 weeks, attracting about 20 primary school-aged girls.

They were introduced to the rules of AFL football, ran on to AAMI Stadium with Power players and played at half-time during a Crows game.

Senior women's player Bronwyn Davey, whose brothers Aaron and Alwyn play in the AFL, said her daughters Kelliah, 8, and Shontaya, 6, enjoyed the Auskick program.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6458957806
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 660 times

Postby kicks.like.a.girl » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:54 pm

Gozu wrote:
The Port Adelaide Women's Football Club has become the first club in SA to hold an all-girls Auskick program.

I love a good ol' exaggeration... I've only been running an All Girls Auskick for the past three years now ;) :lol:

This stroy is great promotion for Female Footy. The Magpies have been working tirelessly to improve their Junior Pathway, and thankfully they are being rewarded for it. The whole Port Adelaide community should be congratulated :D

GET AROUND IT!!!
kicks.like.a.girl
Under 16s

Postby fisho mcspaz » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:09 pm

I can't get over how rapidly women's footy has taken off over the last year or so! It's great to see. You've done a fantastic job KLAG. :D
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Footy Smart » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:10 pm

kicks.like.a.girl wrote:
Gozu wrote:

I love a good ol' exaggeration... I've only been running an All Girls Auskick for the past three years now ;) :lol:

This stroy is great promotion for Female Footy. The Magpies have been working tirelessly to improve their Junior Pathway, and thankfully they are being rewarded for it. The whole Port Adelaide community should be congratulated :D

Yeah also Modbury has U16s, 8s and Seniors hence providing a pathway. I know alot of other clubs also have younger sides.... dont let the truth get in the way of a good story :oops:
Footy Smart
Coach

Postby Footy Smart » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:11 pm

fisho mcspaz wrote:I can't get over how rapidly women's footy has taken off over the last year or so! It's great to see. You've done a fantastic job KLAG. :D

Just need Ken Down to stop umpiring and so many bye rounds dragging the season out and its a perfect comp!
Footy Smart
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues