Community Cricket Structure

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Community Cricket Structure

Postby Barkeroo » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:34 pm

Cricket Blast costs exactly the same as Auskick I just think alot of people don't know about it.
Auskick is pretty well known whereas when I mention to people that Cricket Blast exists and alot haven't even heard of it.
Barkeroo
Rookie

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby The Bedge » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:48 pm

Cricket Blast is great value, and a great introduction.. unfortunately they’ve scraped the Master Blasters format so there is no program between entry level Blast and U10’s.

Participation numbers from SACA and CA are skewed coz they count kids they engage with in school programs, they couldn’t give a stuff about community cricket.

A shake up is needed, but at the moment T20 comps and tennis ball cricket is taking over.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4003 times

Postby Barkeroo » Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:29 pm

Yeah Blast is great value especially if you use that school sports voucher. I was told they scrapped the Master Blasters because they felt there wasn't a need for something between Blast and Under 10s and as a parent of kids in both Blast and Under 10s I kind of agree with that to be honest. Maybe it works in metro areas with more kids but I don't think many clubs up here in the Hills at least ever ran a Master Blasters.
Barkeroo
Rookie

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby The Bedge » Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:16 am

I was told it was scrapped because there was too much confusion between Junior Blasters and Master Blasters.

Perhaps it’s just our club, but I get a lot of kids 4/5/6 sign up to Blast cricket - and I’ve seen some roll into U10 but the gap in ability is massive - half the kids can’t even bowl or bat yet.

I can’t keep making these kids do Blast until they’re ready though they get bored.

Anyway, could be worse
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whitepointers » Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:57 pm

We find kids finish with junior blasters and want to jump straight into Under 10 club cricket rather than play master blasters.
whitepointers
Rookie

Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Port Noarlunga

Postby The Bedge » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:49 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:I wouldn’t mind seeing a knockout cup like you have suggested instead of just the T20
SAMCA Cup thingy

Would be good really.. allocated a few Saturdays during the year for an FA Cup Knockout style competition.. play the final at Karen Rolton or something. Cash prize.

Don't set it up as KO inter-association first though, just stick everyone in a pool and draw opponents - would be a little exciting if 1st round you're drawn somewhere completely foreign. Each club one side only - whether your one side is in the lowest division of the poorest competition or the highest division of the best competition.

Make it 40 over game instead of T20 so there is a modicum of cricket and team ability required, not just one bloke having a day out off his 30 balls.

Hard wicket clubs only, stuff the ATCA snobs.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:54 am

The Bedge wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I wouldn’t mind seeing a knockout cup like you have suggested instead of just the T20
SAMCA Cup thingy

Would be good really.. allocated a few Saturdays during the year for an FA Cup Knockout style competition.. play the final at Karen Rolton or something. Cash prize.

Don't set it up as KO inter-association first though, just stick everyone in a pool and draw opponents - would be a little exciting if 1st round you're drawn somewhere completely foreign. Each club one side only - whether your one side is in the lowest division of the poorest competition or the highest division of the best competition.

Make it 40 over game instead of T20 so there is a modicum of cricket and team ability required, not just one bloke having a day out off his 30 balls.

Love the idea but you would need a few Saturdays hey????

If you had 32 teams in a knockout you're already talking 5 weekends and I'm sure there would be far more than 32 teams, unless you just did winners/top 2 from all the different comps around
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:49 am

The Bedge wrote:
SAMCA Cup thingy

40 overs is the magic number IMO.

Imagine Smithfield drawing Sutton Derby :lol:
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby The Bedge » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:50 am

whufc wrote:unless you just did winners/top 2 from all the different comps around

Shit idea you stuck up elitist :P
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:16 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:unless you just did winners/top 2 from all the different comps around

Shit idea you stuck up elitist :P

You could do what they do in european soccer with the Champions League, Europa, Europa Conference.

Top 2/3 or whatever of each comp go into one knockout tournament. All the 4/5/6 teams go into like a div 2 knockout tournament etc etc. :lol:

Unless you can find 10 weekends to fit the 150 a grade one day sides that would want to play in it.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:10 pm

Cap at 128 sides - that's potentially 7 matches / weeks required.

Be creative with the scheduling - associations provide two free Saturdays to allow, utilise public holiday / long weekends.. maybe the odd Sunday game or Friday night under lights.

Or leave 7x weeks free in associations through out the year, and when teams are knocked out, they play another eliminated side.. take seedings for the following season.

Means for a 3rd of the year you play some random side haha :D

Ah who knows, it's all too hard, but interesting chat.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:17 pm

Like it

Would add a lot of fun into the season.

Played a lot of soccer in my time and ‘cup games’ and ‘cup runs’ were often the highlight of a season
whufc
Coach

Postby Hector » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:21 pm

The Bedge wrote:Cap at 128 sides - that's potentially 7 matches / weeks required.

Be creative with the scheduling - associations provide two free Saturdays to allow, utilise public holiday / long weekends.. maybe the odd Sunday game or Friday night under lights.

Or leave 7x weeks free in associations through out the year, and when teams are knocked out, they play another eliminated side.. take seedings for the following season.

Means for a 3rd of the year you play some random side haha :D

Ah who knows, it's all too hard, but interesting chat.

I like the idea. Would be fun to play "new" teams. And the novelty of the hard wicket/turf ovals. But it would have to be a Sunday competition. I can't see associations giving up Saturdays. Especially as we already lose some to rain/heat every season anyway.
Hector
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 33 times

Previous

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps