SA Churches and Community Cricket Association 2011/2012

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: SA Churches and Community Cricket Association 2011/2012

Postby Oxygen Thief » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:02 pm

too right auto, agree with you whole-heartedly.

there's a common theme in what a few people have written here. We like the association and the comp, we all want to see it grow, we all want to see it thrive. the only thing missing is drive from the exec. Now i know they will see this as yet another swipe from Cuz but the fact of the matter is that if our current exec. hadn't been around then chances are we would be extinct now- so please dont take it that way.

There's plenty of people willing to put their hand up to do these things but at the end of the day its really up to the exec. to instigate a seperate committee to look at the future of SA Churches and Comm.

if you want to help and be involved in change, put your hand up and get on the ass.exec. and push the changes needed.
Oxygen Thief
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Morgan-Cadell

Postby grave digger » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:38 pm

Spot on o2 burglar and typo you are also on the money keep your own clubs thriving and growing new heads on the exec new ideas to help those already on the board .I run a bussiness employ staff have three kids but find time to help in any way i can its all possible positive thinking make it happen.Auto i understand between rome,paris and london fashion shows you are a very busy man but try a big cup of cement ;)
grave digger

Grassroots Team: Moonta

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:17 pm

I think your competition needs a strong selling point, needs an attraction, and im sorry but as wonderful as it is im just not sure the National Carnival is it.

You need something to attract people/teams to your competition, and as Auto i think it was said, there needs to be some sort of long term plan.

Auto is right in the sense, it's great if people WANT to help out and want to see the comp grow, but in all honesty, to what capacity can they help? The best way they can help is to nurture and grow their own clubs.

Clubs could offer suggestions they believe might benefit the comp, and the exec needs to take action on those suggestions - that's the only way there can be anything achieved.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby bara-stick » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:54 am

Some people need to better appreciate how much work has to go into running a competition its not as easy as it may seem. i agree we need a better plan for the future and also more clubs hopefully things work out and we can have a successful assocition into the future.
1. Moses 2. Smasha 3. powerport 4. Carey 5. open for nominations
bara-stick
Under 16s

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:03 pm

bara-stick wrote:Some people need to better appreciate how much work has to go into running a competition its not as easy as it may seem. i agree we need a better plan for the future and also more clubs hopefully things work out and we can have a successful assocition into the future.

I understand the work required to run an association / competition, but with out measures & plans in place, its work for nothing, like pushing mud up hill because you lack any sort of vision, goals or KPI's.
Don't mean to offend anyone but seriously at the moment the work going into the association is to keep it a float not to see if flourish and grow.

Perhaps the executive need to be better directed themselves so they are working smarter not harder?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby auto » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:41 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
bara-stick wrote:Some people need to better appreciate how much work has to go into running a competition its not as easy as it may seem. i agree we need a better plan for the future and also more clubs hopefully things work out and we can have a successful assocition into the future.

I understand the work required to run an association / competition, but with out measures & plans in place, its work for nothing, like pushing mud up hill because you lack any sort of vision, goals or KPI's.
Don't mean to offend anyone but seriously at the moment the work going into the association is to keep it a float not to see if flourish and grow.

Perhaps the executive need to be better directed themselves so they are working smarter not harder?

Here Here
auto
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby Goat Herder » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:20 pm

It needs to be put to the Clubs what they want to get out of their Association. The member Clubs are effectively the ones who drive the direction that the Association heads. Pointless taking steps to do this & that if the direction is not what the Clubs want.

I'd suggest a regimented think-tank facilitated by a chairperson to map out some short & long term goals by persons who are committed to striving for an improved Association. Then it's a matter of drafting a plan and appointing motivated, reliable individuals to make it happen.

Personally, I don't know what we can offer to attract players. Yes, we've got the National Championships, but in reality it has attracted NIL players from other comps, despite the p!$$ & wind sprouted by some over the years. :roll:

I have grave concerns about SAMCA's push to involve more clubs in the inter-association 20/20 comp and the effects that more cricket will have on a social comp that is comprised of the vast majority of players who are happy to play each Saturday, and a handful who want to challenge themselves against better players from other Associations. :?

IF SAMCA are going to go ahead with their proposal to include 8 Clubs from each Association in the 20/20 comp, by my calculations if one of our teams gets through to the GF, they'll have played 5x 20/20 matches - or in other words, 5x Sundays that are wiped out of the social or family time. What chances do you reckon OB & myself will have mustering up players to commit more Sundays of their spare time for the 40 over SAMCA comp?? :?

The answer is NOT more cricket!! :evil:
Goat Herder
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:35 pm

Goat Herder wrote:It needs to be put to the Clubs what they want to get out of their Association. The member Clubs are effectively the ones who drive the direction that the Association heads. Pointless taking steps to do this & that if the direction is not what the Clubs want.

I'd suggest a regimented think-tank facilitated by a chairperson to map out some short & long term goals by persons who are committed to striving for an improved Association. Then it's a matter of drafting a plan and appointing motivated, reliable individuals to make it happen.

Personally, I don't know what we can offer to attract players. Yes, we've got the National Championships, but in reality it has attracted NIL players from other comps, despite the p!$$ & wind sprouted by some over the years. :roll:

I have grave concerns about SAMCA's push to involve more clubs in the inter-association 20/20 comp and the effects that more cricket will have on a social comp that is comprised of the vast majority of players who are happy to play each Saturday, and a handful who want to challenge themselves against better players from other Associations. :?

IF SAMCA are going to go ahead with their proposal to include 8 Clubs from each Association in the 20/20 comp, by my calculations if one of our teams gets through to the GF, they'll have played 5x 20/20 matches - or in other words, 5x Sundays that are wiped out of the social or family time. What chances do you reckon OB & myself will have mustering up players to commit more Sundays of their spare time for the 40 over SAMCA comp?? :?

I like that idea, 20/20 is all over and done with inside 3 hours, making the GF is a big "IF", if you aren't interested, forfeit an early round match. Unfortunately it's taking over the cricket world yet the community comps aren't that interested in it full-time, a knock-out comp isn't that draining though.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7936 times

Postby Goat Herder » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:52 pm

IMO, it has the potential to be as big a yawn-fest as the Foxtel Cup. ;) We don't even have 8 teams in Div 1. :roll: :lol:

As someone who battles their a$$ off to put competitive C&CCA sides on the park year in year out, the new 20/20 proposal promises to be a massive headache in achieving that. If 20/20 is going to be 'the' format being pushed hard by SAMCA, I'd be all in favour of canning the 40 over stuff. A significant number of players play in the SAMCA Associations because they can't dedicate the time to play Grade cricket, whether it's C&CCA, PDCA, ASCA or ATCA. The vast majority don't want to play more cricket. But yet we have our 'cricketing body' jamming more & more cricket into the social cricketing schedule?? :? Doesn't make sense from where I sit.
Goat Herder
League - Best 21

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:18 pm

We ran an independant T20 competition for a couple of years and it had overwhelming success, it involved 4 clubs, 3 rounds of double-headers and a finals day. It was stressed that all supporters not bring their own alcohol and the clubs would sell it at a decent price, each club made around $1000 profit when they hosted it. We had several clubs wanting in.
Put it out there and they'll come, T20 is popular to play and watch.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Goat Herder » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:55 pm

Yep, we did a pre-season 20/20 comp for a few concurrent years a few years back, where it was played in the format you speak of at Adelaide Lutheran's 2 grounds. We attempted to recreate the same format last year by making a day of it, but there was opposition to the idea (by memory I think it was because some guys worked on Saturday mornings and wouldn't be putting up their strongest sides) and the 20/20 comp was drawn out and nobody benefitted from it being played like that. It was also proposed that it be swapped between certain clubs who could utilise their clubrooms & liquor licences, but due to greed, that never occurred either.

What the Association should do is SET the program for it (similar to the draw you mentioned) when they do the regular season draw and Clubs & players have plenty of time to plan for it. If they can't muster up their best side when the time comes, stiff you-know-what! :evil: Deal with it - just like they do during the regular season. ;)

Therein lies the main problem in our Association - too many people & Clubs who want to take from it and give next to nothing back. :twisted:
Goat Herder
League - Best 21

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:01 pm

The PDCA tried to introduce a T20 format which was on a fortnightly basis n a Wednesday night, it ended up being a bit of an overkill and when you have Sandy Creek and Para Teachers in the same comp it made commuting mid-week pretty difficult.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:57 pm

Goat Herder wrote:We attempted to recreate the same format last year by making a day of it, but there was opposition to the idea (by memory I think it was because some guys worked on Saturday mornings and wouldn't be putting up their strongest sides)

Unfortunately (and it's in every sport) you will never appease everyone, nor should you try to.

People will always whinge and complain, there will always be the knockers who are happy to join the chorus in pointing out the faults but never willing to be part of the solution.

The assoc just needs to be firm, set in place what they want to do - whether it's a T20 comp or whatever, and frankly the clubs need to deal with it. The End.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:58 pm

In terms of competition development, what ever happened to Peter Sifkus? Wasn't he a cricket development officer for the comp? Do they still have one? If not why?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Goat Herder » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:42 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Goat Herder wrote:We attempted to recreate the same format last year by making a day of it, but there was opposition to the idea (by memory I think it was because some guys worked on Saturday mornings and wouldn't be putting up their strongest sides)

Unfortunately (and it's in every sport) you will never appease everyone, nor should you try to.

People will always whinge and complain, there will always be the knockers who are happy to join the chorus in pointing out the faults but never willing to be part of the solution.

The assoc just needs to be firm, set in place what they want to do - whether it's a T20 comp or whatever, and frankly the clubs need to deal with it. The End.

Couldn't have put it any better myself mate. ;)

Unfortunately, the Association tries to appease the whinging minority, usually having to factor into the equation threats of Clubs leaving to going to other Associations if they don't get everything that they ask (should read 'demand'.. :roll: ) for. That is utter garbage! :evil:
Goat Herder
League - Best 21

Postby bara-stick » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:06 pm

Exactly right
1. Moses 2. Smasha 3. powerport 4. Carey 5. open for nominations
bara-stick
Under 16s

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:14 pm

Goat Herder wrote:I have grave concerns about SAMCA's push to involve more clubs in the inter-association 20/20 comp and the effects that more cricket will have on a social comp that is comprised of the vast majority of players who are happy to play each Saturday, and a handful who want to challenge themselves against better players from other Associations. :?

It's two games in a day isn't it?

So six teams only play one Sunday, the two winners play two Sundays. Three if they're lucky enough to win through to the GF.

That's what it is in the country one anyway.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby auto » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:11 am

Good news goatie...Matty Sandford will be opening the batting this year. He'll also be batting at three, four, five, seven and nine. He'll open the bowling, come on first change and thro some tweakers in also.
auto
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby Goat Herder » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:04 am

auto wrote:Good news goatie...Matty Sandford will be opening the batting this year. He'll also be batting at three, four, five, seven and nine. He'll open the bowling, come on first change and thro some tweakers in also.

Hahaha! :lol: Good to see our cloning program starting to bear fruit... ;) :lol:
Goat Herder
League - Best 21

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:32 pm

Goat Herder wrote:
auto wrote:Good news goatie...Matty Sandford will be opening the batting this year. He'll also be batting at three, four, five, seven and nine. He'll open the bowling, come on first change and thro some tweakers in also.

Hahaha! :lol: Good to see our cloning program starting to bear fruit... ;) :lol:

Or maybe everyone at Fitzroy is just on a "Seafood" diet? :lol:
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps