Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH)

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH) 2014/15.

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:28 pm

:-BD yep.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 176 times

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:24 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
Ye Olde Place Kick wrote:Thanks for that FH and Saintal for adding too.
Forgot about Williamstown, know in footy they and Lyndoch amalgamated to form Barossa Dist but see Lyndoch still play cricket under their own in the Barossa league.
Had memories of Springton winning but couldn't tell you the year's but the 80's wouldn't surprise me.
Pity about Mt Pleasant oval, can remember it built back in the mid 70's based on the same size as Footy Pk with the 1 metre slope from the centre to the boundary and costing apparently $250,000. Can any one tell where the old oval they used prior to that one was? Went looking for it a couple of years ago but couldn't find any evidence of it. Vaguely remember it having the clubrooms down one end near the goals and a slight slope heading away to the other end and it being down a side road.
How many teams did Mannum normally have?
Know Palmer had a footy team up til 1973/74 and Pleasant Valley footy club being called that because Mt Pleasant amalgamated with Eden Valley.
Can remember Lenswood playing in the Hills League in the 80's and having a strong club with I think 3 teams at one point.
Did Woodside Army ever put a team in like they did in footy? May be well before your time.
Lastly why do Woodside ( 4 or 5 teams over the years ) and to a lesser degree Lobethal have so many teams especially with Woodside not having a footy team and competition from Onkaparinga as well?
Again many thanks for the info.

Can't recall the exact year Springton won, but Wayne Prior played for them that year.

Don't know where the old Mt Pleasant Oval was, but behind the far-end pub and up near the hospital is a road called Showgrounds Road. May still be sales yards there and primary school nearby, so maybe it was there somewhere. Is a pity about Mt Pleasant Oval, because it was a great oval in it's day with nearly all the GF's played there, and have fond memories as a kid of all grades presentations in the club rooms afterwards. Seemed to recall a story about the bloke who maintained it having a falling out with the Barossa Council when Councils merged?

Mannum seemed to have a 3 or 4 teams most years, and may even have two A2's teams at one stage. Woodside and Paracombe had a couple of b-grade teams some years.

I can't recall playing against Lenswood in the late 80's, so perhaps they were in the Hills league. Paracombe joined/rejoined TV in the mid-70's after playing in an association that ran across the front of the hills, and perhaps Lenswood may have played there too? In the TV early 90's they certainly had an aura of a dynasty team about them with Plummer and Kuiper etc, though they did miss the finals in 94/95. Did they win flags afterwards saintal?

Lobey probably had the population advantage of other teams, whilst Woodside always seemed to have a very good cricket program throughout their club.

Which Brownlow Medallist played for Gumeracha in the early 90's?

Know for a fact Lenswood were in the Hills during the mid 80's. Just found this, didn't know they played in Mt Barker assoc.
http://historylfr.wordpress.com/sport/#ckt
Re Paracombe Think they were part of the old East Torrens Cricket Assoc at one stage with the likes of Uraidla and Ashton. Know Uraidla moved into the Hills approx 78-9. Uncertain if Lenswood were part of it.
Yes now you mention it can remember Prior playing in the TV.
How did Buckley come to play with Gums?
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 42 times

Postby saintal » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:13 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
Ye Olde Place Kick wrote:I can't recall playing against Lenswood in the late 80's, so perhaps they were in the Hills league. Paracombe joined/rejoined TV in the mid-70's after playing in an association that ran across the front of the hills, and perhaps Lenswood may have played there too? In the TV early 90's they certainly had an aura of a dynasty team about them with Plummer and Kuiper etc, though they did miss the finals in 94/95. Did they win flags afterwards saintal?

Lenswood Ranges were in Hills for a while during the 80s, not sure of exact details. A few of the older guys have a few stories from that era, particularly stoushes with Aldgate. No love lost there. Not sure if Lenswood ever played in the East Torrens comp, but the old Forest Range club (speaking of shocking ovals..) did for a period. Used to play against Magill, Hectorville etc.

Won a few more flags after 94/95 FH, the last being the 97/98 A2 Flag. Might have been an A grade flag around 96 or 97 also. A heap of players retired around that time, and it took 11 years until the next flag arrived.

Speaking of "Fang" Prior, he donned the whites in Springton's B grade win against Lenswood on Saturday.
Last edited by saintal on Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby saintal » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:18 pm

Opening round of the TVCA

Palmer 4/232 def Paracombe 8/197. Rathjen with 114* after a lean 13/14 by his standards.
Gumeracha 204 def Birdwood 8/93. C. Sumner with 131. This bloke will only get even better with age. Kav with 5/13.
Eden Valley 7/193 def Mt Torrens 8/140. Fairly even spread of contributors for the Valleys.
Lenswood 143 def Mt Pleasant/Springton 118. Drought breaking win in a topsy turvy match. Green with another 5 wicket bag.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Postby Stinga » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:51 pm

saintal wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:
Ye Olde Place Kick wrote:I can't recall playing against Lenswood in the late 80's, so perhaps they were in the Hills league. Paracombe joined/rejoined TV in the mid-70's after playing in an association that ran across the front of the hills, and perhaps Lenswood may have played there too? In the TV early 90's they certainly had an aura of a dynasty team about them with Plummer and Kuiper etc, though they did miss the finals in 94/95. Did they win flags afterwards saintal?

Speaking of "Fang" Prior, he donned the whites in Springton's B grade win against Lenswood on Saturday.

So does the old Fang still "shoulder" a few down with some heat?
Stinga
Mini-League

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby saintal » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:13 pm

Stinga wrote:
saintal wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:

So does the old Fang still "shoulder" a few down with some heat?

Batted at 11 and got a duck. Didn't bowl. I'm sure a few of our B grade would have liked to say they had faced him though, even in his 60s.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Postby Stinga » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:19 pm

I see he was out LBW.... never was big on footwork!

I had the "pleasure" of facing him 20 odd years ago... he had slowed down a fair bit by then, but could still hoop them down!
Stinga
Mini-League

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:29 pm

saintal wrote:Opening round of the TVCA

Palmer 4/232 def Paracombe 8/197. Rathjen with 114* after a lean 13/14 by his standards.
Gumeracha 204 def Birdwood 8/93. C. Sumner with 131. This bloke will only get even better with age. Kav with 5/13.
Eden Valley 7/193 def Mt Torrens 8/140. Fairly even spread of contributors for the Valleys.
Lenswood 143 def Mt Pleasant/Springton 118. Drought breaking win in a topsy turvy match. Green with another 5 wicket bag.

Played an unregistered player who still owes his previous club $300 for subs the last two years
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 1663 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Ramrod » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:00 am

Well 2 out of 3 Aint bad, Strath Defintely wouldn't be happy at all losing that game to Lobey. This weeks tips are
Strath V Ashbourne. I'm backing strath to win comfortably maybe an outright result could be on the cards. Wouldn't expect the Abbott's to combine for only 1 wicket this week, and with Matt Hein and Simpson Ashbourne no hope.
Nairne V Wistow. Well Nairne will be $1.01 Favourites for this, Wistow at about $90. Mitch hein will have extra motivation going against his old Side and may cause carnage. with harden & Walters as well expect a spanking. I hope Nairne bat first, thats the only way it wont be over by the 1st day.
Woodside V Lobey. No results from the woodside game but beating langhorne is no challenge so i have no form for woodside. Lobey suprising winners from last week, i feel there bowling will strugle however they do have quality batsmen in Weeks, Matthews and hacket. Woodside to win.
Dont Hate me cause you Aint me.
Ramrod
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:09 am

Well tipped Ramrod with 2 first up.

I think the Woodside Lobey game will be a very close match, both coming off wins and both with considerable competitive history. Lobethal are probably the favourites based on the performances of both teams last week however Woodside would be expected to play better than they showed against Creeks. My tip is for a Woodside to win at home in a close one

Strath may be hoping for an outright against Ashbourne but I doubt they will get one with a few key players coming back into the Ashbourne line up. Straths batting looked fragile beyond the opening pair last week especially against a bowling attack that struggles (Ramrod) and the bowling had obvious troubles penetrating the Lobethal attack with an even contribution from the Lobey batsmen. You would expect Strath to improve this week. Ashbourne played well through 2/3rds of their match against Nairne and had them troubled on a couple of occasions but then fell away at crucial times, something that you just can't do against a side the calibre of Nairne, Strath to win at home in a close one.

Several Nairne players had average games by their lofty standards and will be looking to get back to premium form and make a solid contribution to the team. Wistow in their first match of the round will be absolutely sh$tting themselves coming up against such a formidable foe with a much depleted line up this season. Nairne to win comfortably
"cricket is the most important activity in men's lives, the most important thread in the fabric of the cosmos"
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 34 times
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby Ramrod » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:08 pm

Roxy the Rat Girl wrote:Well tipped Ramrod with 2 first up.

I think the Woodside Lobey game will be a very close match, both coming off wins and both with considerable competitive history. Lobethal are probably the favourites based on the performances of both teams last week however Woodside would be expected to play better than they showed against Creeks. My tip is for a Woodside to win at home in a close one

Strath may be hoping for an outright against Ashbourne but I doubt they will get one with a few key players coming back into the Ashbourne line up. Straths batting looked fragile beyond the opening pair last week especially against a bowling attack that struggles (Ramrod) and the bowling had obvious troubles penetrating the Lobethal attack with an even contribution from the Lobey batsmen. You would expect Strath to improve this week. Ashbourne played well through 2/3rds of their match against Nairne and had them troubled on a couple of occasions but then fell away at crucial times, something that you just can't do against a side the calibre of Nairne, Strath to win at home in a close one.

Several Nairne players had average games by their lofty standards and will be looking to get back to premium form and make a solid contribution to the team. Wistow in their first match of the round will be absolutely sh$tting themselves coming up against such a formidable foe with a much depleted line up this season. Nairne to win comfortably

Yeah RTRG when i saw the results, and saw that Weeks and Matthews took 4 wickets between them, i can only imagine Strath were trying to hit them over the tennis courts, and as they say SHIT GETS WICKETS. they are a Poor excuse for spin bowlers!!
Ramrod
Rookie

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:06 pm

perhaps the Strath boys can't play spin?
"cricket is the most important activity in men's lives, the most important thread in the fabric of the cosmos"
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Postby Ramrod » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:28 pm

Roxy the Rat Girl wrote:perhaps the Strath boys can't play spin?

Perhaps, will be interesting to look at the scores after they face fowlston, handy bowler
Ramrod
Rookie

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:54 pm

Fowlston is pretty handy, will be interesting to see how he and his counterparts go against Strath.
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Postby kickittome » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:35 pm

Yes I think strath would be pretty disappointed losing to lobey after beating them inside one day in the finals last year. 1/111 after 18 overs & getting all out for 188 is poor. Ben cousins & Newham were severely missed with both bat & ball & hopefully will be back in the lineup soon. Looking at nairnes team they only had 6 last year premiership players playing & with Jarred tait not bowling yet you would be wanting to come up against them early.
Did I hear right that Leon maxwell has requested a clearance to Finniss? With Handorf dropping down to the a2s (soft) he is moving to another a2 team not an a grade?
kickittome
Under 16s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Postby The Phoenix » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:46 pm

I heard the same rumour kickittome.....must have some connection out there to make the move!
Interesting set of results first round. Not surprised about Lobey - they're gonna be round the mark this year and wouldn't be surprised if they knock a few of the top contenders off!
One week into the season and nothing to indicate the top four won't be the same as last season! The bottom three clubs will struggle to keep up unless Wistow or Ashbournes overseas recruits turn in some good performances!
Have to say it's disappointing to see only 7 clubs putting in A grade teams this year....not sure the Association would be happy if it came to next year and there were only 5 or 6 nominations......
The Phoenix
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:40 am

kickittome wrote:With Handorf dropping down to the a2s (soft)

soft PUSSIES
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Postby Ramrod » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:44 am

The Phoenix wrote:I heard the same rumour kickittome.....must have some connection out there to make the move!
Interesting set of results first round. Not surprised about Lobey - they're gonna be round the mark this year and wouldn't be surprised if they knock a few of the top contenders off!
One week into the season and nothing to indicate the top four won't be the same as last season! The bottom three clubs will struggle to keep up unless Wistow or Ashbournes overseas recruits turn in some good performances!
Have to say it's disappointing to see only 7 clubs putting in A grade teams this year....not sure the Association would be happy if it came to next year and there were only 5 or 6 nominations......

Well last i heard Wistow's overseas recruits fell through, so they have not picked up anyone. From what i heard they ended up losing 7 players from last years side, got to hand it to them they are still fronting up with an A grade, however i have very little doubt they will end up batting twice a game. If that is this case no doubt they will consider dropping Down a grade, which would make it a 6 Team comp next year.
Ramrod
Rookie

Postby Corona Man » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:05 pm

kickittome wrote:Did I hear right that Leon maxwell has requested a clearance to Finniss? With Handorf dropping down to the a2s (soft) he is moving to another a2 team not an a grade?

New playing shirts required at Hahndorf this season if that's the case!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1281 times
Been liked: 3494 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby PPLions » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:29 pm

How did Buckley come to play with Gums?

Was mates with Jon Morley from Gum
PPLions
Under 18s

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: West Augusta

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps