Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby backoftheroom » Fri May 05, 2017 2:19 pm

Team #7 East Torrens

Finished 6th, 3rd, 2nd and 6th in senior cricket. Juniors finished 8th and 9th in the 16's and 3rd & 4th 14's.

Need
To start performing for a full season. As touched on previously the Reds love a good start but also have the longest 2 Day Premiership drought. They also need to curtail the attitude issue that was also touched on, guys like Michael Cranmer have carried on like pork chops for far too long now (but that may not be their concern, plenty of rumours that he may leave the club for Kensington or TTG). From a playing standpoint they desperately need some runs, they brought in Trent Keep last season who had a pretty lean year but was still second on their run tally. A top 3 bat is a must, maybe a spinner as well. They have the best quick bowling stocks of any club IMO and that's the only thing propping them up over the past few seasons across all four senior grades. Another thing worth mentioning is the talent they have under 17 years old, one good looking quick and a couple good bats in Joel Size, Ryan King and Cooper Luke who have all played in the State 15's side over the past few years, they look to all be good young cricketers through the underage Premier League games I saw (stats don;t really back that up sometimes) and they will need to hold on to them.

Have Spoken/Should Speak To
There hasn't been been much around what ET are after so far. The odd whisper about Jacob Dick and a few guys interstate but I don't think those were much more than floating ideas of guys who are 'on the market'. They should be speaking to any young batter they can get the ear of, but there aren't too many of those in the North East. Perhaps if Kensington hadn't played all their young kids in the A's then some of them would be a chance, I've said it about a number of clubs now but a Bullard type would be very helpful, looks like slim pickings for ET at this stage though given how quiet they have been. Obviously they also need a 'keeper moving forward and after missing out on Drennan, Kerr and by the sounds of it maybe even Ludeman post-contract, Mark Eichler is only a handful dismissals off the club record as I understand it so you'd expect he stays on next season, no one else there is good enough to take his spot right now anyway. They may be backing the young guys I mentioned before as well as Alex Anderson and Lewis Evans to do the job, they haven't been the biggest recruiters in recent times.

Key Next Season
Performing. Wayne Bradbrook has been at the helm for a fair space of time now so the team they have has to start winning. Need to see performances from the likes of Robins x 2 and Keep, all had very quiet seasons last time out. It's pretty cut and dry for East Torrens I think, make some runs and they should be okay. Can't see the core of their squad changing too much.
backoftheroom

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Fri May 05, 2017 3:31 pm

backoftheroom wrote:Team #7 East Torrens

Finished 6th, 3rd, 2nd and 6th in senior cricket. Juniors finished 8th and 9th in the 16's and 3rd & 4th 14's.

Need
To start performing for a full season. As touched on previously the Reds love a good start but also have the longest 2 Day Premiership drought. They also need to curtail the attitude issue that was also touched on, guys like Michael Cranmer have carried on like pork chops for far too long now (but that may not be their concern, plenty of rumours that he may leave the club for Kensington or TTG). From a playing standpoint they desperately need some runs, they brought in Trent Keep last season who had a pretty lean year but was still second on their run tally. A top 3 bat is a must, maybe a spinner as well. They have the best quick bowling stocks of any club IMO and that's the only thing propping them up over the past few seasons across all four senior grades. Another thing worth mentioning is the talent they have under 17 years old, one good looking quick and a couple good bats in Joel Size, Ryan King and Cooper Luke who have all played in the State 15's side over the past few years, they look to all be good young cricketers through the underage Premier League games I saw (stats don;t really back that up sometimes) and they will need to hold on to them.

There hasn't been been much around what ET are after so far. The odd whisper about Jacob Dick and a few guys interstate but I don't think those were much more than floating ideas of guys who are 'on the market'. They should be speaking to any young batter they can get the ear of, but there aren't too many of those in the North East. Perhaps if Kensington hadn't played all their young kids in the A's then some of them would be a chance, I've said it about a number of clubs now but a Bullard type would be very helpful, looks like slim pickings for ET at this stage though given how quiet they have been. Obviously they also need a 'keeper moving forward and after missing out on Drennan, Kerr and by the sounds of it maybe even Ludeman post-contract, Mark Eichler is only a handful dismissals off the club record as I understand it so you'd expect he stays on next season, no one else there is good enough to take his spot right now anyway. They may be backing the young guys I mentioned before as well as Alex Anderson and Lewis Evans to do the job, they haven't been the biggest recruiters in recent times.

Key Next Season
Performing. Wayne Bradbrook has been at the helm for a fair space of time now so the team they have has to start winning. Need to see performances from the likes of Robins x 2 and Keep, all had very quiet seasons last time out. It's pretty cut and dry for East Torrens I think, make some runs and they should be okay. Can't see the core of their squad changing too much.

Good summary. Would strongly dispute though they have the best pace bowling attack in comp, I know I am biased, but speaking to many people from other Clubs and they all agree West Torrens clearly leads the way here. The fact teams struggled to score over 200 against us all season proves that.

Luke Robins had good year last season, but was disappointing in 2016/17. He thinks he is pretty good though, just ask him. His brother Tate had disappointing year too, mostly in B's. Rees has been solid, but again mostly B's last year and ok in A's this year, but just battler. Their best bowler by far was Atkinson, don't know much about him, assume he is Pom, so who knows if he comes back, but can't build team around him if so.

Best fast bowling we played against was Port Adelaide by a mile, followed by Kensington next. Will give you East Torrens as 4th on list at best!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 545 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri May 05, 2017 4:18 pm

East Torrens' pace bowling depth is pretty good. T Robins, Leigh and Sumner as a B Grade attack is pretty damn strong. Better than some A Grade attacks!

Agree West Torrens have the best A Grade attack though. Adelaide could come close if they have Valente, Neate, Cormack plus that Yorkshire guy for the whole season.

East Torrens seemed to lose a bit of belief after they lost that grand final to Glenelg when they had them on the ropes, Knocked their confidence around a bit I think.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1465 times
Been liked: 245 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Eagles2014 » Fri May 05, 2017 4:25 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:East Torrens' pace bowling depth is pretty good. T Robins, Leigh and Sumner as a B Grade attack is pretty damn strong. Better than some A Grade attacks!

Agree West Torrens have the best A Grade attack though. Adelaide could come close if they have Valente, Neate, Cormack plus that Yorkshire guy for the whole season.

East Torrens seemed to lose a bit of belief after they lost that grand final to Glenelg when they had them on the ropes, Knocked their confidence around a bit I think.

Forgot about Adelaide, agree, they are very strong. That Fisher kid from England was pretty quick for a teenager, big boy too. Been playing top level back home this season, so doubt he will be back here next season, but if he does come will be massive get.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby backoftheroom » Fri May 05, 2017 4:25 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:

Need

Key Next Season

Good summary. Would strongly dispute though they have the best pace bowling attack in comp, I know I am biased, but speaking to many people from other Clubs and they all agree West Torrens clearly leads the way here. The fact teams struggled to score over 200 against us all season proves that.

Luke Robins had good year last season, but was disappointing in 2016/17. He thinks he is pretty good though, just ask him. His brother Tate had disappointing year too, mostly in B's. Rees has been solid, but again mostly B's last year and ok in A's this year, but just battler. Their best bowler by far was Atkinson, don't know much about him, assume he is Pom, so who knows if he comes back, but can't build team around him if so.

Best fast bowling we played against was Port Adelaide by a mile, followed by Kensington next. Will give you East Torrens as 4th on list at best!

Yeah I'm not doubting the top end of WT and Kensi, by stocks I mean as a club through the grades. ET have the best fast bowling stocks from that perspective, an example would be the bowling attack in the B Grade GF. Interesting you say that about Luke though, I've not had an issue there, especially when compared with a few others he plays with. Atkinson was a DLCA guy so I'd imagine he won't be back for them, rare to see guys come back for a second stint.
backoftheroom

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Fri May 05, 2017 5:18 pm

backoftheroom wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:

Need

Key Next Season

Yeah I'm not doubting the top end of WT and Kensi, by stocks I mean as a club through the grades. ET have the best fast bowling stocks from that perspective, an example would be the bowling attack in the B Grade GF. Interesting you say that about Luke though, I've not had an issue there, especially when compared with a few others he plays with. Atkinson was a DLCA guy so I'd imagine he won't be back for them, rare to see guys come back for a second stint.

Yeh, fair call. I like Luke too, just when we played them earlier in year he was talking about winning the Bradman Medal and stuff like that, how he would be playing Futures Games, then higher next year, etc. Think he has a degree of over confidence and arrogance, but as you say, more in a nice innocent way than the Eichler and Cramners of this world.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby daysofourlives » Sun May 07, 2017 1:33 am

Joe Gatting appointed coach of the Jets
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2457 times
Been liked: 1683 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Eagles2014 » Sun May 07, 2017 11:56 am

daysofourlives wrote:Joe Gatting appointed coach of the Jets

Hope the umpires keep an eye on him!! He left the Country two years ago in disgrace, having been caught red handed ball tampering. They had been keeping an eye on Northerns and he was busted in the last game against Sturt. Cant remember what penalty he got at tribunal.

Saw photo of the ball the umpires took, was disgraceful. Had some sharp object in his pocket which he was using. When we played them that year, Gatting had the ball swinging that much, he was bowling slow mediums and was unplayable.

Really worrying appointment if he is going to behave like this!!!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby daysofourlives » Sun May 07, 2017 2:12 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:

Hope the umpires keep an eye on him!! He left the Country two years ago in disgrace, having been caught red handed ball tampering. They had been keeping an eye on Northerns and he was busted in the last game against Sturt. Cant remember what penalty he got at tribunal.

Saw photo of the ball the umpires took, was disgraceful. Had some sharp object in his pocket which he was using. When we played them that year, Gatting had the ball swinging that much, he was bowling slow mediums and was unplayable.

Let it go, they need all the help they can get ;)
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2457 times
Been liked: 1683 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Aeropti » Sun May 07, 2017 5:40 pm

Pretty good appointment I reckon.

Assuming Cosgrove also goes round again that is some serious batting to build around, easing the pressure on the younger players whilst giving them 2 first class cricketers to learn off.
Aeropti

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby heater31 » Sun May 07, 2017 5:48 pm

Aeropti wrote:Pretty good appointment I reckon.

Assuming Cosgrove also goes round again that is some serious batting to build around, easing the pressure on the younger players whilst giving them 2 first class cricketers to learn off.

Cant say I agree.....

Gatting hasn't played First Class or List A cricket since 2015 after Hampshire let him go, I assume since then he has played for the highest bidder, in 2013 he played for a well known moneybags club that would put Pooraka to shame not sure if he is still there or not.

Also can't see how this is going to work either bringing in an Overseas coach. Adelaide showed the door to one such coach recently because of overseas commitments and how would Northern District's lower grade players going to feel about this arrangement? The club coach won't be seen until late September at best.
heater31

Has liked: 526 times
Been liked: 1273 times

Postby Port Pirie Power » Sun May 07, 2017 10:46 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:

Last edited by Port Pirie Power on Mon May 08, 2017 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby heater31 » Sun May 07, 2017 11:33 pm

Port Pirie Power wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:

I respect most of the things you say in here mate but accusing someone of pretty much being a cheat is ordinary behaviour!!

Umm he was reported and suspended for ball tampering.....
heater31

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:20 am

heater31 wrote:
Port Pirie Power wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:

I respect most of the things you say in here mate but accusing someone of pretty much being a cheat is ordinary behaviour!!

Umm he was reported and suspended for ball tampering.....

That's fair enough Portpiriepower, you have to be very careful what is said on here and stick to facts. But as Heater said, the last game he ever played in Australia he was reported and suspended for ball tampering, that is cheating. He knew what he was doing, he even had the sharp tool in his pants, and his captain should not have got off lightly either as he knew what Gatting was doing.

Think everyone involved in SACA thought he would never be seen again, but after a season away he will now be back as playing Coach. I would be watching him like a hawk next year, constantly getting the umpires to check the ball as he can't be trusted.

If you saw how much he was swinging the ball and being unplayable at 110 km/hr you would understand why he ended up getting caught, just took 12 games for the umps to actually catch him!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon May 08, 2017 1:00 am

Dickman to Woodville?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:04 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Dickman to Woodville?

How may more Clubs Dickman linked too??

Prospect be happy he gone, don't think team mates and him got on, always fighting.

Few Clubs bit wary, can obviously play, but team culture just as important.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby The Hound » Mon May 08, 2017 3:37 pm

Hearing draft program is out for consultation with all Saturday junior games aligning with the seniors. Be interesting to see how many 16 whites teams get up this season!
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby Trader » Mon May 08, 2017 4:30 pm

The Hound wrote:Hearing draft program is out for consultation with all Saturday junior games aligning with the seniors. Be interesting to see how many 16 whites teams get up this season!

How does that work with Uni not having juniors?
Whoever is playing uni in the seniors just gets a bye in the juniors?
To go with another bye when the seniors are playing the u19s?
Or would their pair those two games up - meaning you'd play some teams more than others.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 811 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon May 08, 2017 7:09 pm

I think aligning just means the dates of competition? Not necessarily the opponents being exactly the same every week.

Hopefully that's true. Is crap for clubs when senior grades and junior grades are out of synch. Makes it difficult to have decent full club presentations.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby heater31 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:36 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:I think aligning just means the dates of competition? Not necessarily the opponents being exactly the same every week.

Hopefully that's true. Is crap for clubs when senior grades and junior grades are out of synch. Makes it difficult to have decent full club presentations.

Difficult thing to balance when Seniors play Sat/Sun rounds and usually start before the juniors in round 1 and the round back after xmas :?
heater31

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps