Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH)

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH)

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:10 pm

Could they experiment with half a season of one dayers and half a season of two dayers? Let people play them in a block and compare which part of the season works better
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby inside word » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:43 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Could they experiment with half a season of one dayers and half a season of two dayers? Let people play them in a block and compare which part of the season works better

Well i think that is a very sensible idea. Clearly this comp has half and half already, but maybe playing them in blocks is a good decision for now.
inside word
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Bridgewater

Postby Corona Man » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:30 pm

inside word wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Could they experiment with half a season of one dayers and half a season of two dayers? Let people play them in a block and compare which part of the season works better

Well i think that is a very sensible idea. Clearly this comp has half and half already, but maybe playing them in blocks is a good decision for now.

Sorry but isn't that the current structure in A&EH anyway? Pretty sure the 1st game of the season is a 1 dayer. Then the last game before the xmas break is also a 1 day round. 1st game back after the break & then up until Jan long weekend (in preparation for Meyer shield) all 1 dayers. Then back to 2 day games leading to season end. So it's already played in blocks.......
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1281 times
Been liked: 3494 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby inside word » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:39 pm

Corona Man wrote:
inside word wrote:

Sorry but isn't that the current structure in A&EH anyway? Pretty sure the 1st game of the season is a 1 dayer. Then the last game before the xmas break is also a 1 day round. 1st game back after the break & then up until Jan long weekend (in preparation for Meyer shield) all 1 dayers. Then back to 2 day games leading to season end. So it's already played in blocks.......

That is correct. I think the major issue with this comp isn't the 2 day cricket, it's the bye which then can cause batsmen waiting long periods to have another hit. I dont feel the need to change the comp for that reason!
inside word
Rookie

Postby Corona Man » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:41 pm

inside word wrote:
Corona Man wrote:
inside word wrote:

That is correct. I think the major issue with this comp isn't the 2 day cricket, it's the bye which then can cause batsmen waiting long periods to have another hit. I dont feel the need to change the comp for that reason!

Of course an 8 team comp would be a lot better than what we currently have. Not sure who will put their hand up, to come into the top flight though.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby inside word » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:46 pm

Well at this stage No one will. However i have heard a rumour that certain people pushing this proposal believe we will now have quite a few clubs putting there hands up to play A grade. This is the biggest load of rubbish i've heard! This association will regret this decision if it's voted in due to the fact some of the quality players in this comp will not be playing (From all reports)
inside word
Rookie

Postby Corona Man » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:47 pm

inside word wrote:Well at this stage No one will. However i have heard a rumour that certain people pushing this proposal believe we will now have quite a few clubs putting there hands up to play A grade. This is the biggest load of rubbish i've heard! This association will regret this decision if it's voted in due to the fact some of the quality players in this comp will not be playing (From all reports)

Sounds like you better jump on the exec committee then & fix it.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby inside word » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:54 pm

Corona Man wrote:
inside word wrote:Well at this stage No one will. However i have heard a rumour that certain people pushing this proposal believe we will now have quite a few clubs putting there hands up to play A grade. This is the biggest load of rubbish i've heard! This association will regret this decision if it's voted in due to the fact some of the quality players in this comp will not be playing (From all reports)

More than happy to do that, Some people may not like my views. Some guys are pretty precious when you challenge them :)
inside word
Rookie

Postby Corona Man » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:56 pm

Fair enough IW.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby jackpot jim » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:45 am

Corona Man wrote:

I think there's more chance of a club coming up to A Grade if it goes to all one dayers but i agree that i would be very surprised for any club currently without an A Grade to put their hand up.
Currently there will be up to 22 votes to decide on Straths motion.
13 clubs plus 9 on the Executive committee. If the umpires coordinator wasnt already on the Executive committee, there would be a maximum of 23 votes.
A motion requires a 2/3rds majority to succeed so if all 22 vote, 15 votes will need to be in favour.
Will be interesting.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 452 times

Postby inside word » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:36 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

I think there's more chance of a club coming up to A Grade if it goes to all one dayers but i agree that i would be very surprised for any club currently without an A Grade to put their hand up.
Currently there will be up to 22 votes to decide on Straths motion.
13 clubs plus 9 on the Executive committee. If the umpires coordinator wasnt already on the Executive committee, there would be a maximum of 23 votes.
A motion requires a 2/3rds majority to succeed so if all 22 vote, 15 votes will need to be in favour.
Will be interesting.

When it comes down to the vote, I believe this proposal will be thrown out and the comp will remain Half and Half. Which for the sake of cricket I hope is the case! It might upset a few batsmen who are near the end of their careers who want to get more hits before they are done, which would be detrimental to the comp and selfish of these few people. Keep the strongest Comp in the hills the same. I don't play anymore but I understand what this will do to the young guys!
inside word
Rookie

Postby Luigianna » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:13 pm

"I don't play anymore but I understand what this will do to the young guys!"..... you are very much out of touch Inside word, and it is best if people such as you yourself that claim that you no longer play the game don't have any say.

If you did still play and you were involved in team selection, you would understand that young blokes would much prefer to be involved every Saturday than "enjoy having a week off bowling to talk rubbish" and this is showing with the average age of each A grade team and the fact that there is only 7 A grade teams out of a 13 team competition. There is big gaps in the year due to two day byes and lots of dead cricket and the concept of two day cricket is a dated concept and not as appealing as it used to be and as Jackpot said in an earlier post, things need to keep evolving to keep people interested.

You're comment about Murray Towns is also disrespectful and you should show their competition some respect - Murray Towns was in decline prior to going to one day cricket due to dwindling player numbers, and this format has helped cricket remain relevant in that region.

There is no evidence by the way that one day cricket will 'deteriorate' the standard and you are really grasping at straws by suggesting it will. From my understanding, ALL cricket in the UK below their first class competition is one day format ranging from 40 to 50 over per innings. It must be some kind of miracle that they can still produce first class and Test cricketers from one day competitions based on your assessment of the one day format.

You are correct that batsmen will get more opportunity, but you fail to bring up so will bowlers. You said it yourself that 'in weak teams, they will use only 3 bowlers to be competitive'. This is ok for the three bowlers... what about the rest of the team? I gather that you are/were a bowler that bowled or wanted to bowl long spells? Once again, years ago this was ok but these days people want to remain involved.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but players who are still playing opinions are far more relevant than retired players.

I am surprised that there is a two thirds vote required to pass this concept, i would have thought this would be decided by a majority vote of the clubs. I also wonder if there will be a push from some clubs for less than 50 overs? my guess is this will be the biggest argument as 100 overs is potentially a very long day. I would prefer this to two day cricket and the current one dayers, but i think that 45 overs might be a better fit in country cricket.

Jackpot so you know if clubs able to vote for less overs in this proposal at the AGM? Also, are the other things in Strath's proposal going to be voted on separately or is it all in one proposal? I would like to think that the clubs would have some say in things like bowling restrictions for example.
Luigianna
Mini-League

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time

Postby inside word » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:27 pm

Ah luigianna you my friend shouldn't be commenting on this based on its quite clear you have either written this proposal or are heavily involved in this some way or another? The reason there are only 7 clubs in A grade is due to the fact the rest of the teams simply don't have enough talented players to compete, so they choose the lower level you delusional fool! in regards to the English comp being outstanding, it's quite clear that The bottom teams are quite strong as well, the fact is in the comp as it is there are 3 teams who quite frankly suck and the gap will be even bigger if it goes to one day cricket! In terms of giving everyone ago, ship off champ, it's adult sport, don't be pathetic, which by reading your post you quite frankly sound pathetic! Murray town cricket is shit, simple as that! you my friend have an answer for everything which means you are completely blind to the other opinion which means you are a ignorant person!
inside word
Rookie

Postby jackpot jim » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:09 am

Luigianna wrote:"

I am surprised that there is a two thirds vote required to pass this concept, i would have thought this would be decided by a majority vote of the clubs. I also wonder if there will be a push from some clubs for less than 50 overs? my guess is this will be the biggest argument as 100 overs is potentially a very long day. I would prefer this to two day cricket and the current one dayers, but i think that 45 overs might be a better fit in country cricket.

Jackpot so you know if clubs able to vote for less overs in this proposal at the AGM? Also, are the other things in Strath's proposal going to be voted on separately or is it all in one proposal? I would like to think that the clubs would have some say in things like bowling restrictions for example.

Straths motion is very specific that A Grade is to be completely ONE DAY matches of 50 overs each team.
If that is passed then there is NO room to move in regards to the number of overs played as 50 overs shall be in the Constitution.
If the motion is defeated, the status quo shall remain where at least 50% of A Grade Minor round matches shall be played as 2 day games.
The duration of one day games, currently 40 overs each, can be changed at any delegates meeting as it's a By Law
Straths 50 over one day motion comes under 'Competition Structure' in the Constitution and as such can only be adopted at the AGM or a Special General meeting on the provision that 28 days notice of the motion is given to the clubs.

Strath have suggested many other changes to the match conditions if their motion is accepted but have stated that they would be happy for the Executive committee of the Association in consultation with the clubs to make a recommendation on any changes they deem necessary.
These would include things like revised starting times, tea break durations, bowler limitations, fielding limitations, changes to Finals structure, Points systems etc etc etc. These would all come under Match Conditions in the By Laws so if any club didn't like something, it's pretty easy to get changed with greater than 50% support.
Constitutional changes require 2/3rds majority whilst By Law changes only require a greater than 50% majority as i understand it.

Personally i think that maybe if the motion was just for One day cricket rather than for 50 over cricket, it would have more chance of succeeding but Strath are adamant that it's 50 overs or remain the same as is.
I agree that whilst some clubs may well be in favour of all one day cricket, they may have reservations about 50 overs per side that can potentially make for a very long day along with the inconvenience of earlier start times etc.
I tend to agree that 45 would be a better starting point than 50 and if it worked out ok and teams thought it necessary to increase to 50, they could do it the following year tho im not sure why you would want to ?
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 452 times

Postby inside word » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:33 pm

Well from what I've heard in regards to this vote from people still closely associated with this comp, I Believe this proposal wont be voted in, with the main reason being the 50 overs each side. I for one can see that is quite a smart decision by the clubs who wont vote for it, as that is a massive day. and to be honest country cricketers want to be finished by no later than 5.30, so they can either get to events, or stick around and have some beers with the opposition and teammates. Strath would've had far more chance of getting this through if they didn't specify an overs amount. So In my educated opinion this proposal doesn't stand a chance....
inside word
Rookie

Postby inside word » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:06 am

Well now the one day cricket motion has been voted in, cue a few people I know who will be weighing up whether they continue playing in this Comp as they hate this...
inside word
Rookie

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:11 am

inside word wrote:Well now the one day cricket motion has been voted in, cue a few people I know who will be weighing up whether they continue playing in this Comp as they hate this...

50 overs?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3566 times

Postby Corona Man » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:15 am

No 45 so i am told. Vote was pretty clear cut as well.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby inside word » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:16 am

Dutchy wrote:
inside word wrote:Well now the one day cricket motion has been voted in, cue a few people I know who will be weighing up whether they continue playing in this Comp as they hate this...

50 overs?

45.... This vote is turning out to be a bit of a joke considering no teams indicated they want to come up into A grade which is one reason they wanted one day cricket..... Also they are talking several bowlers will be able to bowl 12 and others 6 or something like that! Would hate to be on the committee right now considering this will wreck the standard of cricket.
inside word
Rookie

Postby rainbow warrior » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:07 pm

I hope the HCA never goes down this path, bad enough in B grade last year having that all one day games. Agree it totally wrecks the standard of cricket.
rainbow warrior
Rookie

Been liked: 4 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps