Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:50 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
Computer Crashed wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:I wonder about a lot of those kids going to Gullies and Kensi - is that about opportunity and better coaching or is there a social status to having your kids at these clubs? I also see lots of kids bypassing northern suburbs clubs for Sunday footy so they can play at Gullies or Golden Grove.

All of the above I would suggest.
Throw in the fact that successful clubs do their homework far better and target the good ens.
Been there done that,you can get the best cricketers if you put some time into it.

I think what happens sometimes is that someone at an Adelaide Turf or Barossa or country club will have a negative experience at a grade club.

Eg their kid comes out to trials and doesn't get picked.

The parent gets the shits. If that parent is a coach or helps run the junior cricket locally they will tell everyone how poorly run the grade club is, how the selectors have no idea and would encourage them to go anywhere else

That is sort of true, but if that kid that doesnt get selected and is genuinely shit the local people are not stupid and will take it with a pinch of salt.
Just having a look at the Jets senior sides there would be at least half a team of Barossa U16's scattered through the 4 grades. So i guess U16 performances are not the be all and end all
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 1664 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Eagles2014 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
heater31 wrote:Forecast 44 tomorrow and SACA have pulled the pin on all Grades :shock:

I know I have played in hotter but **** me it was hard work

Could they have played Sunday? Going to be quite a bit cooler. Difficult to organise at late notice I guess. Assume the games will be replayed.

If they re programmed the only date available is Sunday Jan 17. The QF's of the one day comp are on Sun 24th. Or they play this round on Jan 24th and put the QF's back to Jan 31.

They would only replay the 1st Grade matches if they do, other games just be draws. They did replay the round last year when it was cancelled for Philip Hughes death (ironically the same matches that have been affected this week!).

We played a round two years ago in February in A's only when it was 45 degrees. Was not a good toss to lose and spend the day in the field! Being a one day game starting at 9am, don't know what the difference is between 43 and 44 for SACA to change their minds, reckon they may have had some pressure put on them to cancel all matches.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 528 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:39 pm

I remember a hot one day game at Henley and the opposition team wore shorts because it was so hot. They got fined by SACA
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:06 am

Tony Clifton wrote:
Computer Crashed wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:I wonder about a lot of those kids going to Gullies and Kensi - is that about opportunity and better coaching or is there a social status to having your kids at these clubs? I also see lots of kids bypassing northern suburbs clubs for Sunday footy so they can play at Gullies or Golden Grove.

All of the above I would suggest.
Throw in the fact that successful clubs do their homework far better and target the good ens.
Been there done that,you can get the best cricketers if you put some time into it.

I think what happens sometimes is that someone at an Adelaide Turf or Barossa or country club will have a negative experience at a grade club.

Eg their kid comes out to trials and doesn't get picked.

The parent gets the shits. If that parent is a coach or helps run the junior cricket locally they will tell everyone how poorly run the grade club is, how the selectors have no idea and would encourage them to go anywhere else

Quite often the case, in my case I think there was not enough screening, having two 80 minute indoor net sessions to trim 60 kids down to 20 probably wasn't ideal, I did tell my son not to expect to make it into the side and given the timing of the statewide carnival I was bloody glad he didn't.
It was a kick in the guts for him though as he was assured a spot in two other clubs squad.
I actually don't mind my kids missing out on representative sides, it gives them the opportunity to look at themselves and bring them down to earth a little.
I just say to my son "Don't worry mate, you got the chance to bowl to and face the better kids going around, be grateful for the experience".

I'm awaiting the backlash from the SAMCA Cup team that we just selected, I have a kid that plays in the club team that I coach that thought he'd be a shoe-in and another lad from our club that also thought he was a certainty but neither of them made it.
I emphasised at training that I was looking for the best 6 bowlers that could bowl constantly outside off, the best 6 batsmen and the best keeper, but more importantly I was looking for the best 13 attitudes at try-outs.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:30 pm

Always a nightmare picking junior teams. The kids are always so enthusiastic and desperate to play. Crushes them to miss out! Can't pick them all though.

I always found that there were usually 7-8 standouts that just pick themselves but with the last few spots you could throw a blanket over a dozen others. Gets very subjective. Picking those last few spots on good character/attitude is spot on. You rarely regret it. So important in a team game like cricket when you spend hours together.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:22 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Always a nightmare picking junior teams. The kids are always so enthusiastic and desperate to play. Crushes them to miss out! Can't pick them all though.

I always found that there were usually 7-8 standouts that just pick themselves but with the last few spots you could throw a blanket over a dozen others. Gets very subjective. Picking those last few spots on good character/attitude is spot on. You rarely regret it. So important in a team game like cricket when you spend hours together.

Yeah, that was about the sum of it, 7 certain starters, 7 or 8 that were definitely not getting a gig and then about a dozen for the last 6 spots.

One kid I didn't pick because he was being a pain in the arse at training and thought he was an automatic starter, I picked the best 12 last season and I had enough about one hour into an week long tournament, it was under 11's and I had 2 swearers, one parent left their other kid with our group and he kept fighting with his brother and there were a couple of others that were plain obnoxious.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Keefy » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:54 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Always a nightmare picking junior teams. The kids are always so enthusiastic and desperate to play. Crushes them to miss out! Can't pick them all though.

Yeah, that was about the sum of it, 7 certain starters, 7 or 8 that were definitely not getting a gig and then about a dozen for the last 6 spots.

One kid I didn't pick because he was being a pain in the arse at training and thought he was an automatic starter, I picked the best 12 last season and I had enough about one hour into an week long tournament, it was under 11's and I had 2 swearers, one parent left their other kid with our group and he kept fighting with his brother and there were a couple of others that were plain obnoxious.

What age level you doing this year. Fair chance i met you in January this year in the SAMCA.

I'm doing the SCJCA 11's again and totally agree with you in regards to standouts. Then there is those who's attitude stinks and they sulk in the field and then there are those who you know won't make it but at least they listen
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 182 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:59 am

Keefy wrote:
What age level you doing this year. Fair chance i met you in January this year in the SAMCA.

I'm doing the SCJCA 11's again and totally agree with you in regards to standouts. Then there is those who's attitude stinks and they sulk in the field and then there are those who you know won't make it but at least they listen

Yeah mate, I'm doing the 11's for the second year running, I'll introduce myself when we meet, I reckon we're up against you guys on day 3 at Mitchell Park.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Footy Smart » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:22 pm

Any word around re possible mergers between the named clubs?
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby heater31 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:25 pm

Footy Smart wrote:Any word around re possible mergers between the named clubs?

Doubt we will hear much until the February Committee meeting when SACA will probably ask for an update.

In the meantime SACA to meet with all remaining clubs 1 on 1 to assist moving forward.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:55 pm

Who is the bright spark that thought the schedule reshuffle was a good idea? First and second grades front up for their 2nd Sat/Sun fixture in as many weeks then again the following week with 2 50 over matches for First Grade if on the Saturday night you are the top 8 ranked sides.....
heater31

Postby C Horse » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:42 pm

Game should never have been cancelled in the first place.
C Horse
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:39 pm

Are the C's and D's getting replayed as well or just A's and B's?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby heater31 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:46 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Are the C's and D's getting replayed as well or just A's and B's?

Nup they stay as programmed 2 day match over 2 weekends
heater31

Postby The Hound » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:58 am

Interesting to see some WT kids looking for clearances after receving some communication from the clubs power brokers regarding their selection for sides who have first dibs on them.
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:15 am

The Hound wrote:Interesting to see some WT kids looking for clearances after receving some communication from the clubs power brokers regarding their selection for sides who have first dibs on them.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good story Hound! Only one kid has asked for clearance, and that has been denied. Lots more to it than that letter, they are using that as reason. Cites lack of opportunity, this kid has had more opportunities than anyone could possibly be given,played A's at 15, played the last A Grade game, yet to take wicket in few games he has played. Another pushy Country parent that demands the world because they travel, how about taking some wickets or making some runs to actually earn it!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby heater31 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:36 am

Eagles2014 wrote:
The Hound wrote:Interesting to see some WT kids looking for clearances after receving some communication from the clubs power brokers regarding their selection for sides who have first dibs on them.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good story Hound! Only one kid has asked for clearance, and that has been denied. Lots more to it than that letter, they are using that as reason. Cites lack of opportunity, this kid has had more opportunities than anyone could possibly be given,played A's at 15, played the last A Grade game, yet to take wicket in few games he has played. Another pushy Country parent that demands the world because they travel, how about taking some wickets or making some runs to actually earn it!

Could do worse.....steal off another club's country zone offering petrol money as incentives. Zoned club stands its ground as it's entitled to do and the tribunal grants clearance anyway citing a 'precedent' that the Zone club fought on the behalf of another kid because his 'Zone' club can't run a chook raffle!
heater31

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:50 pm

Heard about that Heater, Prospect were the Club I believe. Sometimes clubs need to make a stand, then if the Tribunal over rule it, then there is not much you can do about it. That one was a crazy ruling, but you would expect nothing else from SACA.

The kid in our case is captaining the Country Red team in Bank SA, they had a team get together at Strikers match last Tuesday, guess who was the only player not to go? You guessed it, the captain! He was down at Glenelg training getting presented with his new Cap and all the gear. Seeing he has not been cleared yet was a bit odd!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby heater31 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:14 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:Heard about that Heater, Prospect were the Club I believe. Sometimes clubs need to make a stand, then if the Tribunal over rule it, then there is not much you can do about it. That one was a crazy ruling, but you would expect nothing else from SACA.

The kid in our case is captaining the Country Red team in Bank SA, they had a team get together at Strikers match last Tuesday, guess who was the only player not to go? You guessed it, the captain! He was down at Glenelg training getting presented with his new Cap and all the gear. Seeing he has not been cleared yet was a bit odd!

Glenelg have form announcing new players before they are actually cleared.....Cameron Valente says hello ;)
heater31

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:46 pm

Speaking of Cam, had a good couple of days down in Tassie, lazy 11 wickets for the match!!
Eagles2014
Veteran

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps