Barossa & Light Cricket 2013/14.

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Barossa & Light Cricket 2013/14.

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:12 pm

Red Rocket wrote:
happyhawk wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
Slowey wrote:Coming into the last game of the season thought i might try and pick a team of the year mine would be as follows.

+ R Barker
M Norman
B Parish
A King ( Capt )
C McLean
R Hannun
J Vanderleur
R Johnson
C Roberts
B Montgomery
B Burgess

Doesnt look too bad, think i would leave one of the spinners out and include Joey Brown.
I also reckon only Barker, Norman and King pick themselves, the rest are very even with some other guys that you havnt selected.
Others around the mark would be Hogan, Ben Burgess, Gardham, Matt Ryan, Mullins, Fracowski, R Montgomery, Lade,

Mclean also picks himself, absolute gun. Ben Burgess and Gardham also deserve to be in the 11. If sandy can somehow sneak into the four i reckon they could do some real damage. its going to be an interesting month of cricket. Also King to win the mosey by a mile. Barker second, Ben Burgess third

Id say the chances of Sandy sneaking into the four are almost zero.
South wont roll over and lose outright, id think they have desires of winning and staying up in Div 1 next year aswell.
The 4 teams who will play finals has been decided, just jostling for ladder positions incase of bad weather now.
Has the GF venue been decided yet?

Was going to be Kapunda but their win last week put a stop to that ;)
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 1664 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby bennymacca » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:19 am

beeroclock wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Weeks off happen in every other sport, I don't think that is the major reason

Ever tried doing a draw for the season?
It's not as simple as saying let's have an extra week in the finals.
Easter,school holidays,oval availabilities,football and then throw in the uncontrollable THE WEATHER.
Tennis is tennis and cricket is cricket.

It wouldn't be any different as the draws aren't even as it is. Would mean 1 less full round of matches which would be the main detriment
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby beeroclock » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:07 am

bennymacca wrote:
beeroclock wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Weeks off happen in every other sport, I don't think that is the major reason

Easter,school holidays,oval availabilities,football and then throw in the uncontrollable THE WEATHER.

It wouldn't be any different as the draws aren't even as it is. Would mean 1 less full round of matches which would be the main detriment

Whatever.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:13 am

beeroclock wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
beeroclock wrote:

Whatever.

Thanks for your insightful input
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Useless » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:28 am

Tennis is tennis and cricket is cricket.[/quote]

It wouldn't be any different as the draws aren't even as it is. Would mean 1 less full round of matches which would be the main detriment[/quote]
Whatever.[/quote]

Thanks for your insightful input[/quote]

I agree with everyone here, the cricket season is long enough and the obvious constraints on the draw would be hard to overcome.

Fair enough there isn't the double chance, but if you not good enough on the day you gotta cop that probably don't deserve the flag if you cant turn it on when you have to.

I guess the only advantage is if the game is called off.
Useless

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:48 am

bennymacca wrote:
beeroclock wrote:

The draws are perfectly even Mr Knowledge.
All except the A5 draw
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby beeroclock » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:34 am

I'm guessing Bennymacca is a young buck.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Postby beeroclock » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:36 am

Benny, my insightful input was in my original post.
Did you bother to read.
Self explanatory really.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Postby bennymacca » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:09 pm

You told me the difficulties in doing a draw, nothing about why you couldn't have an extra week of finals.

Not saying it's good or bad just asked the question as to why it was the case.

So maybe stop being a douche and we will all get along fine
bennymacca
Coach

Postby TimmiesChin » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:22 pm

I reckon crickets a different cat. The season already runs a long time... vintage hits some clubs hard.

But more importantly, sides finishing higher on the ladder already have a massive advantage as they progress in the case of a tie/draw.

So if it rains they have a leg up. How often dont the best two sides get through I wonder.
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:24 pm

It's an interesting question. And yes, weather affects it a lot
bennymacca
Coach

Postby beeroclock » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:39 am

bennymacca wrote:You told me the difficulties in doing a draw, nothing about why you couldn't have an extra week of finals.

Not saying it's good or bad just asked the question as to why it was the case.

So maybe stop being a douche and we will all get along fine

An extra week is also part of the years draw Benny.
Get on a executive committee one day and bring it up at a meeting.
Watch the blank faces that look back at ya.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Postby bennymacca » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:46 am

seriously wtf.

all i did was bring up the question about why there was only 2 weeks of finals instead of 3, as most other sports have 3 weeks of finals, as i genuinely wanted to know the reason, and all you have done is just assume i am saying you are doing a horrible job or something. insecure much?

jesus christ.

a simple "because thats how it has always been" is probably the correct answer
bennymacca
Coach

Postby beeroclock » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:19 pm

bennymacca wrote:seriously wtf.

all i did was bring up the question about why there was only 2 weeks of finals instead of 3, as most other sports have 3 weeks of finals, as i genuinely wanted to know the reason, and all you have done is just assume i am saying you are doing a horrible job or something. insecure much?

jesus christ.

a simple "because thats how it has always been" is probably the correct answer

Bye Benny.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Postby THE POPE » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:22 am

I noticed kingy notched up another ton. He's on fire this year!!!
PRAISE THE LORD!!!
THE POPE
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby cokadonkeytoo » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:55 am

The association needs to change the rules on qualifications for finals. Its an absolute joke that two young lads from our club were refused permits to play in our b grade finals because one had played 10 days of a grade and 9 days of b grade whilst the other had played 10 a grade and 8 b grade. Both were dropped on form at xmas time and have played b grade ever since. They have both played more b grade games than a grade. Plus we had the weather affected games which took days of cricket off them. So now we have two young lads that I think undeservedly miss out on playing in the finals. Not sure how many other clubs this has happened to but there needs to be a change in the rule or at least some leniency in giving permits for such cases
Get that corn outta my face!!
cokadonkeytoo
Under 18s

Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby TimmiesChin » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:24 am

cokadonkeytoo wrote:The association needs to change the rules on qualifications for finals. Its an absolute joke that two young lads from our club were refused permits to play in our b grade finals because one had played 10 days of a grade and 9 days of b grade whilst the other had played 10 a grade and 8 b grade. Both were dropped on form at xmas time and have played b grade ever since. They have both played more b grade games than a grade. Plus we had the weather affected games which took days of cricket off them. So now we have two young lads that I think undeservedly miss out on playing in the finals. Not sure how many other clubs this has happened to but there needs to be a change in the rule or at least some leniency in giving permits for such cases

We've lost one or two as well but I dont blame the rules.... rules were in place at start of season and we need to work within them. The more leniency you give clubs the more they will take advantage.
Perhaps the only thing id do is rework the case where no play is possible for an entire game so that sides are still nominated and games count for qualification. .. but players nominated in each side named cannot have played in a higher grade the round before to prevent sides stacking lower grades for heat affected games.

Id also probably look at rules to handle byes in higher grades and the wholesale stacking of lower sides but that would be slightly harder.
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby cokadonkeytoo » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:34 am

TimmiesChin wrote:
cokadonkeytoo wrote:The association needs to change the rules on qualifications for finals. Its an absolute joke that two young lads from our club were refused permits to play in our b grade finals because one had played 10 days of a grade and 9 days of b grade whilst the other had played 10 a grade and 8 b grade. Both were dropped on form at xmas time and have played b grade ever since. They have both played more b grade games than a grade. Plus we had the weather affected games which took days of cricket off them. So now we have two young lads that I think undeservedly miss out on playing in the finals. Not sure how many other clubs this has happened to but there needs to be a change in the rule or at least some leniency in giving permits for such cases

We've lost one or two as well but I dont blame the rules.... rules were in place at start of season and we need to work within them. The more leniency you give clubs the more they will take advantage.
Perhaps the only thing id do is rework the case where no play is possible for an entire game so that sides are still nominated and games count for qualification. .. but players nominated in each side named cannot have played in a higher grade the round before to prevent sides stacking lower grades for heat affected games.

Id also probably look at rules to handle byes in higher grades and the wholesale stacking of lower sides but that would be slightly harder.

Yeah I agree with all of that, if the weather affected games had been counted then they both would have been eligible to play so yeah maybe thats something that can be reworked before the start of next season. Its just a damn shame that they miss out on technicalities. I mean a little research will tell you that one was averaging 2 and the other 3 at the point in which they were dropped. Its certainly not a case of stacking a side
Get that corn outta my face!!
cokadonkeytoo
Under 18s

Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:35 am

One will finish 10A and 8B, the other is currently 10A and 5B, think he played A Grade yesterday to make him 12A and 5B. Try and keep it to facts when supporting your position. (Note; when you look at the stats the cross over games appear twice and will distort the amount of games played)

Just answer this one question mate, did the association only bring in these qualification rules in the last couple weeks or have the clubs known these rules all year?

Not an issue for any other club.
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:39 am

cokadonkeytoo wrote:
TimmiesChin wrote:

Yeah I agree with all of that, if the weather affected games had been counted then they both would have been eligible to play so yeah maybe thats something that can be reworked before the start of next season. Its just a damn shame that they miss out on technicalities. I mean a little research will tell you that one was averaging 2 and the other 3 at the point in which they were dropped. Its certainly not a case of stacking a side

It would be a damn shame if they played finals on a technicality of having weather effected games count towards qualification and be the only 2 players in the comp qualify that way whilst every other club has worked within the qualification rules that are ste out at the start of the season.
daysofourlives
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps