Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Lame Choice » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:14 am

Good luck to the U17 today and tomorrow v NT.
It'll be a long day in the field today if they don't knock them over early. NT currently 1/32.
"As long as I live, I will deny taking performance enhancing drugs" Lance Armstrong 2010
Lame Choice
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 30 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:40 am

Shorter day today I believe. Only playing two sessions.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:42 am

Footy Smart wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Not sure about that.

U/16's on Saturdays is a lower standard. Lose the better kids to senior cricket, school cricket and most of the country kids aren't there.

U19's would be picked more from seniors, not this carnival.

Agreed a few are missed to Seniors, certain clubs would lose kids to scholl but not all. Country kids are dependant on the club, I know we have 3 that play each and every game in the U16s and one cant due to boarding at Sacred Heart.

How many of the U17 squad are playing U16s this year? doubt any of them ar, most probably playing A/B grade

How many of them played U16's last year probably more relevant.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Willo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:02 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Shorter day today I believe. Only playing two sessions.

Cant believe they are playing today, even though reduced to two sessions (64 overs)!!

Then tomorrow they play 4 sessions, so potentially 128 overs!

I reckon they should have played a 1 day game on Friday instead, hoping for the cool change to set in. At least 40 degrees after two days rest is better than 46 degrees!
Willo
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times

Postby beeroclock » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:43 am

heater31 wrote:

U/16's on Saturdays is a lower standard. Lose the better kids to senior cricket, school cricket and most of the country kids aren't there.

Would still be used as a tracking tool of potentials. But yes performances in seniors would do the bulk of the selection process.

That's what I was eluding too.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby Footy Smart » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:47 am

beeroclock wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Would still be used as a tracking tool of potentials. But yes performances in seniors would do the bulk of the selection process.

That's what I was eluding too.

SACA did meet with most if not all Junior coaches to talk through current squad (after the first cut) members and the possible role at state level etc and go through what they thought he grade club could do to help the players. They also asked for players the club thought SACA had missed at trials and they noted them and do track their performance.

Squad selections always have contensious decisions and everyone reckons little johnny should be in there, but at the end of the day they would get pretty right IMO.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby oldeagle » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:00 pm

2005 12 years & Under SCHOOL SPORT AUSTRALIA _ SOUTH AUSTRALIAN TEAM
13 Selected 5 Private School 6 Public School 2 Country Reps

FROM THAT INITIAL SQUAD-DROP OFF RATES STATE SELECTION
5 played Under 15s
3 played Under 17s
2 played Under 19s

WHERE ARE THEY NOW?
None of the Private School lads play Grade Cricket. (1 is playing AFL, 1 plays Adelaide Turf, other 3 unknown)
1 of the country boys plays in the Country the other plays hockey
3 of the public school boys play Grade Cricket (all in A grade) 2 have played Futures League. Of the others, 1 plays Adelaide Turf, 1 plays country, 1 plays golf.
oldeagle
Rookie

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Footy Smart » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:26 pm

oldeagle wrote:2005 12 years & Under SCHOOL SPORT AUSTRALIA _ SOUTH AUSTRALIAN TEAM
13 Selected 5 Private School 6 Public School 2 Country Reps

FROM THAT INITIAL SQUAD-DROP OFF RATES STATE SELECTION
5 played Under 15s
3 played Under 17s
2 played Under 19s

WHERE ARE THEY NOW?
None of the Private School lads play Grade Cricket. (1 is playing AFL, 1 plays Adelaide Turf, other 3 unknown)
1 of the country boys plays in the Country the other plays hockey
3 of the public school boys play Grade Cricket (all in A grade) 2 have played Futures League. Of the others, 1 plays Adelaide Turf, 1 plays country, 1 plays golf.

Good breakdown OE, selection/Talent ID isnt an exact science..... doesnt matter the sport.

What needs to happen is quality HP development of these kids, clear pathways for these kids and hopefully they as individuals stay on track. I think the pathway is clearer now, rightly or wrongly with PL and some bad/stale eggs who were in at SACA have been moved on..... The average age of grade cricket would probably be lower from when I first started, long gone are the 8x30+ year olds playing and kids missing out on games or being involved at Grade clubs. Some clubs do the right thing some clubs dont, which has and always will be the same.
Footy Smart
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:21 pm

Would be interesting to see how that stacks up against other states.

U13's is pretty speculative. So much would rely on physical maturity which would differ enormously at that age,

I thought one of the criticisms was the same players stay in the system year after year? This seems to indicate that actually plenty of players who missed at that age group have earned their way in. Is that good or bad?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Lame Choice » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:43 pm

9 of 13 of this years u12 team came from private college with 5 from St. Peter's.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with junior talent emerging from these groups. I do have a problem with how wide the net is cast.
'Talking to the coaches' of the top 30 odd is simply not enough for u 17 this year. I could do that in an afternoon. There are good players going missing due to the narrow selection and poor critique of what we have. SACA need to seriously revisit who and how we scout, track and develop.

They need
1. More money
2. Performance management on how to meet requirements - not just the same old cricketers recycled
"As long as I live, I will deny taking performance enhancing drugs" Lance Armstrong 2010
Lame Choice
Under 16s

Been liked: 30 times

Postby oldeagle » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:14 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Would be interesting to see how that stacks up against other states.

U13's is pretty speculative. So much would rely on physical maturity which would differ enormously at that age,

I thought one of the criticisms was the same players stay in the system year after year? This seems to indicate that actually plenty of players who missed at that age group have earned their way in. Is that good or bad?

Only 1 boy represented the State at all age group levels. All the others dropped out and in other the years. Non selection can be pretty devestating but as long as positive support is provided to the lad rather than dwelling on criticism of the selectors, they seem to come out the other end ok.
oldeagle
Rookie

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:48 pm

Lame Choice wrote:9 of 13 of this years u12 team came from private college with 5 from St. Peter's.

That seems a lot. How did they go?

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with junior talent emerging from these groups. I do have a problem with how wide the net is cast.
'Talking to the coaches' of the top 30 odd is simply not enough for u 17 this year. I could do that in an afternoon. There are good players going missing due to the narrow selection and poor critique of what we have. SACA need to seriously revisit who and how we scout, track and develop.

Who are some missed ones?

Any standouts from this season's U17's?

They need
1. More money
2. Performance management on how to meet requirements - not just the same old cricketers recycled

Surely they've got enough money. No excuses for this area to be neglected. Less population than most other states, surely they have to do this stuff better in order to punch above their weight.

I remember hearing a bloke from Tassie (who played for my club for a season) say that their small population was almost an advantage, because it was easier to identify the standout players and invest time and money into those handful of players. They've got a pretty good record of producing internationals lately compared to SA.

It sickens me how many interstate recruits have represented SA over the last decade or so. T
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:50 pm

oldeagle wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Would be interesting to see how that stacks up against other states.

Only 1 boy represented the State at all age group levels. All the others dropped out and in other the years. Non selection can be pretty devestating but as long as positive support is provided to the lad rather than dwelling on criticism of the selectors, they seem to come out the other end ok.

Good post.

You'd hope that the doors at all levels are open for late bloomers. Heater's comments about Sam Raphael are heartening.

Is U/13 too young to be picking state teams? Should they have state teams for that age group?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby heater31 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:23 am

Hey @Footy Smart where the feck is Memorial Oval???
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Trader » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:25 am

heater31 wrote:Hey @Footy Smart where the feck is Memorial Oval???

This one?
http://kensington_browns.sa.cricket.com ... 70&popup=1
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:28 am

Trader wrote:

This one?

nope its a TTG ground. I think I have found it on google maps and just want to make sure....
heater31

Postby Trader » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:29 am

heater31 wrote:
Trader wrote:

This one?

nope its a TTG ground. I think I have found it on google maps and just want to make sure....

This one then.

Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Footy Smart » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:38 am

Its off North East road, turn right at the war memorial (the street has an Arch over it) and keep driving about 150 metres and the oval is on your right. the street is about 500 metres before you hit the TTG Hotel.
Footy Smart
Coach

Postby heater31 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:44 am

Footy Smart wrote:

Its off North East road, turn right at the war memorial (the street has an Arch over it) and keep driving about 150 metres and the oval is on your right. the street is about 500 metres before you hit the TTG Hotel.

Yep I have the right oval then, next right after the turn off to the Pertaringa. Looks like no change rooms and BYO chair?
heater31

Postby Footy Smart » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:09 am

heater31 wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:

Yep I have the right oval then, next right after the turn off to the Pertaringa. Looks like no change rooms and BYO chair?

yeah thats it. there is a small changeroom which both teams share i think and there should be chairs mate.
Footy Smart
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps