Barossa & Light Cricket 2014/15.

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Barossa & Light Cricket 2014/15.

Postby Extractor » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:32 am

daysofourlives wrote:
bennymacca wrote:It's a bit harder with stick down nets and sand runups like Gawler centrals have

Thats true, too lazy to roll it up each week

Occupational Health and Safety...too many blokes off on Workcover for rolling mats up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Extractor
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Red Rocket » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:27 am

May be a silly question but why dont hard wicket clubs use covers, especially ones with stickdown matting?
Most of the grounds in the B&LCA have good drainage and the Dog Track probably the best drainage of them all. Covers on and they play yesterday, fairly basic id think or am I missing something?
Red Rocket
Under 18s

Been liked: 72 times
Grassroots Team: Kapunda

Postby bennymacca » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:58 am

Red Rocket wrote:May be a silly question but why dont hard wicket clubs use covers, especially ones with stickdown matting?
Most of the grounds in the B&LCA have good drainage and the Dog Track probably the best drainage of them all. Covers on and they play yesterday, fairly basic id think or am I missing something?

Very good point. Would need to be long enough to cover the runups but other than that, we would have played yesterday if it was covered
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Extractor » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:25 am

bennymacca wrote:
Red Rocket wrote:May be a silly question but why dont hard wicket clubs use covers, especially ones with stickdown matting?

Very good point. Would need to be long enough to cover the runups but other than that, we would have played yesterday if it was covered

There were some serious puddles next to the dog track pitch yesterday. The covers would have to be about 2 pitches wide to stop them forming....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Extractor
Under 16s

Postby bennymacca » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:29 am

Yep I know :) but other than that the oval looked pretty good. It's really only the fact that the pitch is lower than the surrounding grass that you have issues, the same thing happens at Freeling (though our drainage is also bad)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Red Rocket » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:25 pm

Extractor wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

There were some serious puddles next to the dog track pitch yesterday. The covers would have to be about 2 pitches wide to stop them forming....

Why cant clubs purchase wider/longer covers similar to what the turf clubs have that cover the center wicket area?
As Days said I think plenty of clubs dont try hard enough to get games going and that goes for turf aswell. There will always be exceptions where grounds dont drain or get more rain than other areas but a little bit of effort can get the job done, seems plenty would rather be at the pub.
On that question do turf clubs use covers or not?, the rain was forecast and it seems bizarre to hear of games being called off by 10am, does the opposition club bother to go and look or just take the home sides word for it?
Red Rocket
Under 18s

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:49 pm

I for one as a captain would always go and have a look at the ground before calling it off, unless it suited us to be washed out. Ie 1st day of a 2 day game and maybe having 3 or 4 players available the 2nd week that wernt available the 1st.

The covers the clubs have are really only adequate enough for the odd shower and a couple mm of rain, not like yestys downpoor.
Either Stcokwell missed the rain yesty or they did a good job to get a full day in
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2430 times
Been liked: 1668 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby norm11 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:04 pm

Was there much play at sandy yesterday??
Back to the creek it is.
norm11
League - Top 5

Has liked: 470 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:12 pm

norm11 wrote:Was there much play at sandy yesterday??

Only an internal Norm.
Ground was in good nick and the pitch was in really good shape apart from a couple of spots where water got under the covers. Run ups were a bit damp also.
The one last heavy shower at about 1:00 probably killed the chance of playing
A few of the A1's were there and ended up having a scratchie in pairs
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3567 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby TimmiesChin » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:41 pm

daysofourlives wrote:I for one as a captain would always go and have a look at the ground before calling it off, unless it suited us to be washed out. Ie 1st day of a 2 day game and maybe having 3 or 4 players available the 2nd week that wernt available the 1st.

The covers the clubs have are really only adequate enough for the odd shower and a couple mm of rain, not like yestys downpoor.
Either Stcokwell missed the rain yesty or they did a good job to get a full day in

No idea re stocky and weather but they purchased covers that cover the full square.
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:56 pm

TimmiesChin wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:I for one as a captain would always go and have a look at the ground before calling it off, unless it suited us to be washed out. Ie 1st day of a 2 day game and maybe having 3 or 4 players available the 2nd week that wernt available the 1st.

No idea re stocky and weather but they purchased covers that cover the full square.

How much did covers for the whole square cost?
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby cokadonkeytoo » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:10 pm

Our groundsmen do a great job in trying to get play at Sandy when its wet. They put time and effort in on Weds/Thurs morning and covered it before the rain came Thursday arvo. Then covered it again on Friday night but as Days said we had a serious downpour in the morning and therefore struggled to get the pitch up for the game. We have two sets of covers, one that does the pitch only and then we have a big one that does the whole square but it is extremely heavy and tough to get out when there isn't much help around.

Nuri must've missed the forecast for Saturday, no covers on Friday night and very wet pitch Saturday morning. I would've thought they would be itching to knock us over and pick up a win
Get that corn outta my face!!
cokadonkeytoo
Under 18s

Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby TimmiesChin » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:13 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
TimmiesChin wrote:

How much did covers for the whole square cost?

I couldn't tell you to be honest, but they aint cheap.

Actually in thinking they may have been a set that covers 4 pitches so not quite the whole square.
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Slowey » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:16 pm

The Nuriootpa, Sandy Creek and Kapunda teams are disadvantaged in a big way when it comes to rain affected days.
With the rain around on Friday and Saturday turf teams were never going to get up. Lucky it only effected the one game. Hard wicket teams have a huge advantage being able to have play when other teams cannot.
I realise there is nothing the competition can do but maybe they could look at points being equal to a first innings win for both teams that miss out on a result. That way it keeps the fairness equal.
What’s peoples thoughts?
Slowey

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby bennymacca » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:19 pm

Slowey wrote:The Nuriootpa, Sandy Creek and Kapunda teams are disadvantaged in a big way when it comes to rain affected days.
With the rain around on Friday and Saturday turf teams were never going to get up. Lucky it only effected the one game. Hard wicket teams have a huge advantage being able to have play when other teams cannot.
I realise there is nothing the competition can do but maybe they could look at points being equal to a first innings win for both teams that miss out on a result. That way it keeps the fairness equal.
What’s peoples thoughts?

What if you need to win to make finals? Water that oval :)

I just think it is one of the quirks of the comp, can't do anything about it
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Slowey » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:36 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Slowey wrote:The Nuriootpa, Sandy Creek and Kapunda teams are disadvantaged in a big way when it comes to rain affected days.
What’s peoples thoughts?

What if you need to win to make finals? Water that oval :)

I just think it is one of the quirks of the comp, can't do anything about it

What it does do is make it very difficult for the lower teams to make up groud on shared points. I guess that's what makes winning games early in the year so important.
Slowey

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby james07 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:43 pm

What’s peoples thoughts?

Had the same conversation with another player, not sure the answer but your solution was one that came up.
james07
Under 16s

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Extractor » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:54 pm

What’s peoples thoughts?

What do we give for a forfeit? Is it the highest winning points for the round or a flat amount?

Something like that would be good but does it disadvantage the loser on a hard wicket match if they do get away. There could be 7 teams moving up by 10 points and one staying still. Normally you will have 3 other sides getting only performance points. Obviously the answer to that is to not lose...
Extractor
Under 16s

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:47 pm

Non Issue. Suck it up, cant do anything about it.

Stockwell got their pitch up. As TC said they have covers for nearly the whole square.
As CockandDonkey said Nuri didnt cover their's so you want to give them points for being lazy ****
Sandy Creek would have had the most rain and nearly got their's up.

The competition is spread far and wide geographically that some hard wicket games played some didnt, you want points for those games as well?
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Red Rocket » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:49 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Non Issue. Suck it up, cant do anything about it.

Stockwell got their pitch up. As TC said they have covers for nearly the whole square.
As CockandDonkey said Nuri didnt cover their's so you want to give them points for being lazy ****
Sandy Creek would have had the most rain and nearly got their's up.

The competition is spread far and wide geographically that some hard wicket games played some didnt, you want points for those games as well?

You make some sense there Days.
The best solution of course would be for clubs to pull their finger out and follow Angaston's footsteps and put in turf.
Does seem bizarre that Nuri didnt put the effort in though, if I was in charge of a side who had the top side in the comp at 8 for under 100 id be personally out there putting on the covers each night and try anything I could to get the game up and going. Wonder if those lost points come back to haunt them later in the season
Red Rocket
Under 18s

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps