Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH)

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH)

Postby caleb777 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:28 pm

Keefy wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Good discussion, you wonder if the SACA would support it as it could possibly take away players from the lower grade comps. However it a new structure may also appeal to clubs in the Coro/Blackwood/Foothills area making it even stronger. Some say about the travel factor, but thats happening in Hills footy already so no great difference. The crazy thing is there are numerous towns/clubs 5 minutes apart that are in different associations, so in some scenarios there might be less travel overall. Off the top of my head -

Woodside/Onka's
Meadows/Echunga
Echunga/Mylor
Meadows/Maccy
Uraidla/Woodside
Bridgewater/Hahndorf
Basket Range/Lenswood
Ashbourne/Meadows

Wouldn't see the likes of Coro Ramblers, Coromandel and Belair leaving ASCA

Cant speak for Coromandel or Belair but at the Ramblers we are very happy with being in the ASCA. Even with a bit of added travel with Port Noarlunga and Morphett Vale coming into our comp after the SCA folded. Hopefully North Haven will go back to playing in the comp out that way one day which will cut down our travel.
caleb777
Under 16s

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 19 times

Postby Newkid » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:11 pm

Meadows are at it again in this years gf bowling out lofty for 14!!!! Reid with 6/0 & Dawe 4/6. In reply meadows are 2/101 & they have to play on tomorrow!!! Hmmm I think you have been embarrassed enough lofty...
Newkid
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:01 pm

Newkid wrote:Meadows are at it again in this years gf bowling out lofty for 14!!!! Reid with 6/0 & Dawe 4/6. In reply meadows are 2/101 & they have to play on tomorrow!!! Hmmm I think you have been embarrassed enough lofty...

14 :shock:
"cricket is the most important activity in men's lives, the most important thread in the fabric of the cosmos"
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 34 times
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:27 pm

saintal wrote:Yeah, my allocation was just a quick 10 min effort based on this year’s ladders without considering travel/logistics. I like the north/south idea, to save on travel and to retain some of those local rivalries. 10 teams in each of the lower divisions would work well, playing each team in a couple of one dayers to make up an 18 week season.

Correct about Lenswood, I believe we were very well travelled for a period. Have heard a few stories about grudge matches against Aldgate in particular. Believe we used to play in a comp (eastern suburbs/hills?) involving teams from Magill/Hectorville/Campbelltown area also.

Yes it was called the The East Torrens Association with hills clubs Ashton, Uraidla, Basket Range, Lenswood, Paracombe were some I can recall. They played against the likes of Hectorville, Norwood Union, Burnside Footballers, Magill Royals, Gaza, Athelstone and others. I it may of folded in the late 70's or certainly by that time the Hills clubs had moved into the HCA.
Regards Lenswood/Aldgate I know Lenswood were in the Hills Cricket Assoc in the 80's and would of played against each other.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 42 times

Postby Cougar » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:59 am

Newkid wrote:Meadows are at it again in this years gf bowling out lofty for 14!!!! Reid with 6/0 & Dawe 4/6. In reply meadows are 2/101 & they have to play on tomorrow!!! Hmmm I think you have been embarrassed enough lofty...

WTF? I know the ovals are large and can be particularly slow in the Hills, but that would have to be some sort of record? And if they playing on that is madness :shock:
Cougar
League - Best 21

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby saintal » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:18 pm

That HCA score is rather unbelievable..any comments Dutchy?!

In the AEHCA, Woodside defeated Strathalbyn. The Warriors were precariously positioned at 8/134 and then 9/147 but managed a defendable 171. The Stallions reached stumps at 0/27, and sat in the box seat at 3/110. The run-out of L. Cousins (71) appeared to turn the game Woodside's way, as the visitors crumbled to lose 7/28.

Woodside's first A Grade flag since 94/95. My guess is that they would have lost 6 or 7 GFs since then, generally by large margins, and have been regular semi finalists as well. A hoodoo was certainly smashed today.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby Dutchy » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:37 pm

Couldn't get there yesterday so can't comment much, other than Lofty were 1/10, all out 14.

Went out there today and was proud of the way they handled it and restored some pride by rolling Meadows for 146 before it was called off. Important for them to play today so they have something in the bank for the winter period and I believe it was the right decision and part of the growth curve this young team is on.

Not a good weekend but I know this is only a bump on the way to greater things.

Meadows, yet again, way too good and congrats to them.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby rainbow warrior » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:06 am

Stirling Eagles A2 premiers too in a good match against Bridgewater. Stirling won toss batted first which always helps, bowled out for 122 but then wrecked through Bridgey for 50. Was a beautiful day and good for the Eagles to get an elusive flag, first in 22 years for us I believe.
rainbow warrior
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:16 am

Dutchy wrote:Couldn't get there yesterday so can't comment much, other than Lofty were 1/10, all out 14.

That's not a typo, mate??
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:51 am

I prefer to say it was a 130 run loss.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:53 am

rainbow warrior wrote:Stirling Eagles A2 premiers too in a good match against Bridgewater. Stirling won toss batted first which always helps, bowled out for 122 but then wrecked through Bridgey for 50. Was a beautiful day and good for the Eagles to get an elusive flag, first in 22 years for us I believe.

Straight back up to A1 then?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby rainbow warrior » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:24 am

Dutchy wrote:
rainbow warrior wrote:Stirling Eagles A2 premiers too in a good match against Bridgewater. Stirling won toss batted first which always helps, bowled out for 122 but then wrecked through Bridgey for 50. Was a beautiful day and good for the Eagles to get an elusive flag, first in 22 years for us I believe.

Straight back up to A1 then?

Hopefully.
rainbow warrior
Rookie

Been liked: 4 times

Postby batmanbegins » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:01 pm

Congratulations to Meadows on 7 in a row. One hell of a side and Just know where to bowl in the big games.

On a lighter note thanks to lofty for making our score of 37 last year look alright :D

But in all seriousness commiserations to lofty i remember how bad our boys felt last year. However, with the young guys they have coming through they will be better for the experience in the long run and no doubt success will be even sweeter.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Been liked: 187 times

Postby Corona Man » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:11 am

jackpot jim wrote:I'd be very surprised if 2 day cricket was banished altogether from A&EHCA.
Nairne pushed hard for all 1 day cricket for A grade a few years ago now and it was surprisingly decisively defeated.
They did make some very valid points in their proposal.
I think as long as the program remains a 50/50 mix of 2 and 1 dayers, most are happy.
Agree that without a huge influx of talent that Maccy, Echunga, Finniss and Cally are a long way off returning to A Grade.
Hahndorf i cant see coming back up whilst they only have the 1 Senior team and i think they would rather the 1 day format of A2s
Mt Barker have indicated they are working on returning to A Grade and i guess thats possible. Would need a few recruits i guess but
if theyre really dinkum about it thats surely not too hard to do?
FWIW i think the A Grade will eventually down the track be all 1 dayers, dont think it will be next season tho.

And there we have it.... Strath will be putting forward a motion at the A&EH Association AGM that all A grade games be 50 over 1 day matches for the coming season.

Discuss....
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:09 pm

50 overs makes for a very long day - 11am until 6pm. Would think 45 overs from 12noon or 40 overs from 1pm would be better.

Are two dayers currently 80 overs? 40 over games would give the same amount of playing time.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Corona Man » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:16 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:50 overs makes for a very long day - 11am until 6pm. Would think 45 overs from 12noon or 40 overs from 1pm would be better.

Are two dayers currently 80 overs? 40 over games would give the same amount of playing time.

In the A&EH - both A2 & B grade comps are 40 over per side one day games (80 overs for the day), start at 1.00pm finish can be as late as 6.45pm IIRC. So to get 100 overs in, in a day, they would need to be starting by 12 noon you would think. Problem being junior games are only wrapping up around 11 - 11.15am. Doesn't give any A grader who is involved in juniors much time to get from one ground to another.... I see it as inevitable (and I support the move) that games will be 1 day fixtures across the board. I think A grade should be more than 40 overs, so it does stand out as the "premium" product. The association would not want to feel responsible if say, in the worst case scenario, there was an accident involving a player speeding to get to a ground on time.... This is of course a worst case view, but it needs to be considered IMO.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby jackpot jim » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:15 am

Corona Man wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:50 overs makes for a very long day - 11am until 6pm. Would think 45 overs from 12noon or 40 overs from 1pm would be better.

In the A&EH - both A2 & B grade comps are 40 over per side one day games (80 overs for the day), start at 1.00pm finish can be as late as 6.45pm IIRC. So to get 100 overs in, in a day, they would need to be starting by 12 noon you would think. Problem being junior games are only wrapping up around 11 - 11.15am. Doesn't give any A grader who is involved in juniors much time to get from one ground to another.... I see it as inevitable (and I support the move) that games will be 1 day fixtures across the board. I think A grade should be more than 40 overs, so it does stand out as the "premium" product. The association would not want to feel responsible if say, in the worst case scenario, there was an accident involving a player speeding to get to a ground on time.... This is of course a worst case view, but it needs to be considered IMO.

Straths proposal is for the A Grade to go to ALL 50 over games starting at 12.30pm.
Games would CEASE as soon as a result has been achieved

Thats the Guts of it

Theyve included other proposals such as bowler and fielding limitations, changes to finals format and a few other minor things.

They also included a VERY detailed report into the FORs and AGAINSTs the move.

Tho i think this report is biased towards their argument, they do make some very good points, mostly reiterating Nairnes points from a few years ago.

All one day cricket certainly would benefit the Association by making programming a lot easier as well as Clubs with an A Grade would welcome it in regards to doing away with the selection nightmares that 2 day cricket brings in regards to player unavailability for 2 weeks and sourcing replacement players along with the BYE rule in regards to player qualification that no one it seems has ever understood. Lol

With only 7 A Grade teams currently from the 13 clubs, as i discussed in an earlier post, It's very unlikely a team would come up to A Grade whilst it stays as 2 day cricket but if it goes to 1 day cricket, i think clubs would find it a more attractive proposition to come up and have a go.

In regards to Juniors that might be playing A Grade, u/16 games usually finish anywhere around 11.20 - 11.40
I guess with the longest travelling distance being Lobethal to Lang Creek being about 45 - 50 mins ? The few kids in this situation should be able to be at A Grade on time to start.

A potential 100 overs does make for a potentially VERY long day as most A grade teams require players to be at ground up to 1 hour b4 the game so players in some cases would be leaving home at 11.00am, match if goes the full duration wouldnt finish til at least 6.30pm MINIMUM and up to 7.00pm is very possible. Have a social drink or 2 after the game and drive home and its 8.00 pm b4 you know it. A 9 hour day. I know thats not gonna happen too many times but if it did happen a few times i think it could test a few players enthusiasm.
Theres also the case where a team gets bowled out for 50 (or 14 in Mt Loftys' case) and the team batting 2nd knocks them off quickly and the game is over by 3pm. Not ideal as that scenario generally leaves a lot of players not doing much for the day.
I guess the above examples are the 2 extremes and as long as they are few and far between it may work ok?

The fact is there are problems with the current programme and there will be problems with a new all 1 day game format as well but it's certainly worth a look at.

Straths proposal talks about having things like only 2 fielders outside of 15 metre circles for the 1st 15 overs and only 5 thereafter.
I can only assume they meant 30 YARD circles which is the norm for all T20 and ODI matches etc.

Personally certainly NOT a fan of this proposal at all.

Those playing conditions were bought into International cricket many moons ago to increase action in the early stages of a match to appease the spectators and increase the viewers appeal which in turn made it a lot more marketable product for TV.
I dont think we need to be applying rules of this nature to a local comp which is about the players, not the spectators as it is at International level.
A&EHCA has it's developing T20 comp for players to play a modified game.

IMO it's too big a change to go from 2 day cricket where there were NO restrictions at all in regards to bowler and field limitations to a 1 day format where inevitably bowling restrictions will apply (10 overs / bowler suggested by Strath) as well as the suggestion that fielding limitations should apply as well.

I'm surprised Strath didnt propose the "Leg side wide" rule to be bought in ?

One other Proposal is there to be a "Double Chance" for the top 2 teams in the finals.
For EVER there has been a Top 4 with 2 Semi Finals 1 v 4 & 2 v 3 with the winners playing off in the GF
Their proposal is for 1 v 2 & 3 v 4 with the loser of 1 v 2 playing the winner of 3 v 4 to play the winner of 1v 2 in the GF
Certainly dont see any need for the current Finals format to change. I dont see how the same 2 teams ( 1 & 2 ) playing off in the GF the week after clashing in the SF (This will happen im guessing 70% of the time) enhances the Finals series at all?

If it's NOT broke DONT fix it !

I agree the current Minor round format needs readjusting and rejuvenating to stimulate the declining trend of clubs wanting to play at the top level but lets not go overboard just for the sake of it.

Straths proposal will ensure an interesting AGM in July
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 02, 2016 12:56 pm

I don't see the sense of fielding restrictions either, how often would you have more than 2 players in the deep in the first 10 over anyway? vary rarely.

You wonder if some players may look to play elsewhere with no 2 day cricket, have they considered that as a potential issue?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby daysofourlives » Mon May 02, 2016 1:05 pm

Dutchy wrote:I don't see the sense of fielding restrictions either, how often would you have more than 2 players in the deep in the first 10 over anyway? vary rarely.

You wonder if some players may look to play elsewhere with no 2 day cricket, have they considered that as a potential issue?

We have had fielding restrictions for at least 10 years, its not the first block of overs where its important, its the last few where they have to have 4 inside the circle that is most important. We also have leg side wides, basically to save all issues of controversy every ball that passes behind the batsman legs and doesnt hit the stumps is a wide, everyone knows this and accepts it
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Corona Man » Mon May 02, 2016 4:06 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

Straths proposal is for the A Grade to go to ALL 50 over games starting at 12.30pm.
Games would CEASE as soon as a result has been achieved

Thats the Guts of it

Theyve included other proposals such as bowler and fielding limitations, changes to finals format and a few other minor things.

They also included a VERY detailed report into the FORs and AGAINSTs the move.

Tho i think this report is biased towards their argument, they do make some very good points, mostly reiterating Nairnes points from a few years ago.

All one day cricket certainly would benefit the Association by making programming a lot easier as well as Clubs with an A Grade would welcome it in regards to doing away with the selection nightmares that 2 day cricket brings in regards to player unavailability for 2 weeks and sourcing replacement players along with the BYE rule in regards to player qualification that no one it seems has ever understood. Lol

With only 7 A Grade teams currently from the 13 clubs, as i discussed in an earlier post, It's very unlikely a team would come up to A Grade whilst it stays as 2 day cricket but if it goes to 1 day cricket, i think clubs would find it a more attractive proposition to come up and have a go.

In regards to Juniors that might be playing A Grade, u/16 games usually finish anywhere around 11.20 - 11.40
I guess with the longest travelling distance being Lobethal to Lang Creek being about 45 - 50 mins ? The few kids in this situation should be able to be at A Grade on time to start.

A potential 100 overs does make for a potentially VERY long day as most A grade teams require players to be at ground up to 1 hour b4 the game so players in some cases would be leaving home at 11.00am, match if goes the full duration wouldnt finish til at least 6.30pm MINIMUM and up to 7.00pm is very possible. Have a social drink or 2 after the game and drive home and its 8.00 pm b4 you know it. A 9 hour day. I know thats not gonna happen too many times but if it did happen a few times i think it could test a few players enthusiasm.
Theres also the case where a team gets bowled out for 50 (or 14 in Mt Loftys' case) and the team batting 2nd knocks them off quickly and the game is over by 3pm. Not ideal as that scenario generally leaves a lot of players not doing much for the day.
I guess the above examples are the 2 extremes and as long as they are few and far between it may work ok?

The fact is there are problems with the current programme and there will be problems with a new all 1 day game format as well but it's certainly worth a look at.

Straths proposal talks about having things like only 2 fielders outside of 15 metre circles for the 1st 15 overs and only 5 thereafter.
I can only assume they meant 30 YARD circles which is the norm for all T20 and ODI matches etc.

Personally certainly NOT a fan of this proposal at all.

Those playing conditions were bought into International cricket many moons ago to increase action in the early stages of a match to appease the spectators and increase the viewers appeal which in turn made it a lot more marketable product for TV.
I dont think we need to be applying rules of this nature to a local comp which is about the players, not the spectators as it is at International level.
A&EHCA has it's developing T20 comp for players to play a modified game.

IMO it's too big a change to go from 2 day cricket where there were NO restrictions at all in regards to bowler and field limitations to a 1 day format where inevitably bowling restrictions will apply (10 overs / bowler suggested by Strath) as well as the suggestion that fielding limitations should apply as well.

I'm surprised Strath didnt propose the "Leg side wide" rule to be bought in ?

One other Proposal is there to be a "Double Chance" for the top 2 teams in the finals.
For EVER there has been a Top 4 with 2 Semi Finals 1 v 4 & 2 v 3 with the winners playing off in the GF
Their proposal is for 1 v 2 & 3 v 4 with the loser of 1 v 2 playing the winner of 3 v 4 to play the winner of 1v 2 in the GF
Certainly dont see any need for the current Finals format to change. I dont see how the same 2 teams ( 1 & 2 ) playing off in the GF the week after clashing in the SF (This will happen im guessing 70% of the time) enhances the Finals series at all?

If it's NOT broke DONT fix it !

I agree the current Minor round format needs readjusting and rejuvenating to stimulate the declining trend of clubs wanting to play at the top level but lets not go overboard just for the sake of it.

Straths proposal will ensure an interesting AGM in July

Cheers for providing the in depth version of this proposal JJ.
My comment regarding travelling to ground etc... wasn't just about the odd junior who also plays A grade, but any A grade players who coach at that level, or have kids playing in the mornings. Not sure how extensive that problem may, or may not be.

If Strath are putting up the proposal, it makes sense that they would provide a more positive spin on the benefits.

The fielding restrictions part is intriguing, I don't see how that is particularly beneficial to the comp.

In terms of finals, I agree with you - that certainly is not broken, and doesn't need fixing in my view.

Interesting AGM in July coming up....
Corona Man
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps