Jarman and the redlegs

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Jarman and the redlegs

Postby Jimmy » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:38 am

When did Andrew Jarman begin playing for the legs and why?

Was it in 97 after his crows axing or before? And why didnt he go back to North?
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Magpiespower » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:25 am

Big story at the time.
Magpiespower
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Wedgie » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:34 am

I still look back on my DVDs of the highlights of 1990 games against Norwood with lots of joy.
Especially the first game when Norwood were red hot favs, we had to play twice at Norwood that year and won both with Darren carving Andrew up on occasions.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2065 times
Been liked: 3925 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Ian » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:37 am

After '89 GF loss, long story, had a fair bit to do with the coach.
If you feel like going through pages of the Roost, I know it was discussed not long after Jars was given the coaches job.
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby Jimmy » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:42 am

cheers guys...wouldnt mind a short and sharp spiel from one of you north fans on here tho, cant be fk'd going thru any sites for more info...

i was only 9 in 90 so cant remember much, esp about other clubs
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby drebin » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:03 am

Combination of a small fallout with Nunan after 89 GF debacle (stand up arguement and push and shove) coupled with a huge "poaching" offer from Norwood along with a very good employment package. I think he needed a change and it helped Darren get out of Andrew's shadow.
drebin

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:42 am

I still remember the headline on the front page of "The News" that day.... "Jarman the Redleg"
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1747 times
Been liked: 2155 times

Postby Leaping Lindner » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:43 am

drebin wrote:Combination of a small fallout with Nunan after 89 GF debacle (stand up arguement and push and shove) coupled with a huge "poaching" offer from Norwood along with a very good employment package. I think he needed a change and it helped Darren get out of Andrew's shadow.

You forgot to mention the main reason that North finally let Jars go was that Norwood agreed to take Doug "notso" Smart off our hands as part of the deal. That offer was too good to refuse.
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby JK » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:09 am

Pretty sure we got the points against the Roosters at Prossie that year, with "Notso" been one of the main reasons, as part of an 8+ game winning streak that also included wins over Port and the Bays iirc
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby topsywaldron » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:50 am

Given Jarman's history at Norwood I wonder why he's got such a chip on his shoulder about us then? You don't go out of your way to sledge another club as much as he does unless there's some underlying problem.
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby BigRed42 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:20 am

I suspect you are trolling again topsywaldren. The only person with a gigantic chip on their shoulder regarding either Norwood or North appears to be you.
BigRed42

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Kilburn

Postby JK » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:26 am

Bit rich Red, being your 3rd post and all ... Let's just recap the thread for a minute, we have ...

- Norths two victories over Norwood at the Parade In Jars first year there
- Norwood's "Huge Poaching" effort to lure him
- The deal included taking Doug "Notso" Smart of your hands

All North slanted comments and naturally so being from Roosters supporters, don't have a problem with them, but think it's unreasonable to then begrudge a Redleg man for having his say...
JK
Coach

Postby BigRed42 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:46 am

I fail to see what the amount of posts has anything to do with my comment, however, I do log on everyday to this site and read all the posts without taking an active part in them. Maybe I should but I usually find that my opinions or thoughts have been put forward by other posters such as yourself. I enjoy reading the friendly banter and I meant no disparaging remarks against any teams supporters especially the Redleg fans as other members of my family are died in the wool Norwood supprters but I obviously misinterpreted topywaldrens post given his remarks on other threads.
BigRed42

Postby topsywaldron » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:09 am

Jarman loudly abused a Norwood player from the coaches box for a perceived "lack of courage" in the opening game of 2005 and after Norwood had beaten them in the last round of last year went on record as saying that "Norwood can enjoy their Mad Monday now, we've got finals footy to prepare for." Two weeks later North enjoyed their own Mad Monday not having won the flag. His comment was designed to draw attention away from the fact that North had, for the second year running, fallen over at the last hurdle. It's a shame that he has to sledge another club to do this.
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby BigRed42 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:25 am

I take your point topsywaldron and I must admit I did not think his comments at the time were waranted and still don't. That is the persona of Andrew Jarman whether you like it or not and as a Roosters supporter I cringe at some of the comments that he makes public and not so public.
BigRed42

Postby JK » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:33 am

I must admit I never really read too much into them, a coaches resposibility is ONLY to the team he is entrusted with leading imho and in Jars case that was North .. Besides, he still seemed to mention a soft spot for Norwood in his Tiser articles and often when he was on the air ...

BigRed, I appreciate your position and didn't mean to offend, just thought it fair for all to have their equal expression of opinion or comment!

Cheers,
CP
JK
Coach

Postby drebin » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:40 pm

Don't worry topsy - plenty of North supporters (led by myself) were very vocal and scathing of our choking efforts last year which the coach used to motivate the players in the Elim Final I might add. Go read "The Roost" after the Nwd loss in Rd 23 to see what I aam on about.
drebin

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:53 pm

As if I need another reason to hate the Silvertail Cows. The Legs get Jars and then BANG in 91 he's off to Adelaide. He played the odd game here and there for the Legs towards the end of his AFL career until becoming a regular Norwood player in our last premiership year. A fair midfield we had that season. Premiership player and a Magarey medallist to boot..I don't think too many Norwood fans would bag Jars all that much.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1705 times
Been liked: 1823 times

Postby Dog_ger » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:55 pm

I don't think too many genuine football supporters would have bad words for A Jarman. You do what you must to motivate your players. In an elimination final you have one crack at it..! There's no tomorrow. Don't regret the next day, "I should have said this or that". It's too late..! I'm a fan..!
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Been liked: 19 times

Jarman

Postby sus » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:25 pm

I liked Jarman as a footballer (although at times he seemed a little lazy and selfish), and I love Jarman as an entertainer - his gift of the gab is an asset to him in the mass media. And in general I get the feeling he'd be a good allround bloke and family man.

But as a coach I think the jury is still out. I lost a lot of respect for him as a coach/leader when I saw first hand the way he 'trash talked" young Luke Peel at Woodville Oval from the sidelines soon after leaving. In fact I think it may have even been Peel's first game for the Eagles after transfering. The load-mouthed abuse from Jarman sitting on the sidelines was totally unprofessional from a senior SANFL coach. I mean what was he trying to achieve other than drawing attention to himself or playing-the-fool? :roll:

I also think he lack's the general intelligence (not football nouse) needed to coach successfully at the professional level required these days.

When it comes down to it - if you talk-the-talk you have to walk-the-walk or you lose people. He has the first bit covered but hasnt proved he is capable of the achieving the second bit yet. But time will tell.
sus
Rookie

Been liked: 0 time

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum