Where Players Were Recruited From - AFC Series (1979-86)

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Where Players Were Recruited From - AFC Series (1979-86)

Postby Benchwarmer » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:58 pm

I am in the latter stages of writing a book about the old AFC Night Series from 1979-1986 and need some assistance with some missing records for the section which will include an A-Z list of players who played in the competition.

Can anyone assist with the local club that the following SANFL players were recruited from:

CD
Max George 1981 (Which Geraldton NFL club?)

PA
Russell Edwards 1985

ST
Graeme Hyde 1984
Damian Kitschke 1984

WA
Michael Rennie 1984

WOOD
Malcolm Blight
Benchwarmer
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Callington

Re: Where Players Were Recruited From - AFC Series (1979-86)

Postby robranisgod » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:53 pm

Damian Kitschke was from the mid North. He may have been from BSR or one of its forerunners.
I think that Graeme Hyde was from Edwardstown
Russell Edwards was from Central District, I think that he is Greg Edwards brother.
Michael Rennie was from Glenelg
Malcolm Blight was from Woodville South
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 230 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby robranisgod » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:09 pm

robranisgod wrote:Damian Kitschke was from the mid North. He may have been from BSR or one of its forerunners.
Russell Edwards was from Central District, I think that he is Greg Edwards brother.

Graeme Hyde played for Edwardstown after his Sturt stint. He came to Edwardstown from Blackwood, but I don't know whether he played for Blackwood before going to stint.
The following is from the Edwardstone Football Club History :

"We might have won that year and so we had a lot to prove to ourselves in 1987. However, we really bonded and guys played above themselves. Neil Pearson and Tim Hoile had come from Norwood and began to feel ownership in the club. Hoile was a key forward, we had two good ruckmen, Graham Hyde from Blackwood"
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 230 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby DoublebluTiger » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:57 pm

robranisgod wrote:
robranisgod wrote:Damian Kitschke was from the mid North. He may have been from BSR or one of its forerunners.

Graeme Hyde played for Edwardstown after his Sturt stint. He came to Edwardstown from Blackwood, but I don't know whether he played for Blackwood before going to stint.

"We might have won that year and so we had a lot to prove to ourselves in 1987. However, we really bonded and guys played above themselves. Neil Pearson and Tim Hoile had come from Norwood and began to feel ownership in the club. Hoile was a key forward, we had two good ruckmen, Graham Hyde from Blackwood"

Correct on the mid north link. According to the great Sturt book 'The Old Double Blues' by Angel Fernandez that Kitschke has contributed to, Kitschke said he played his junior footy at Gulnare-Redhill
Success is in trying
DoublebluTiger
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 50 times

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:40 am

Yeah most of the kitschke's play for BSR, there is a side of the family who played for Jamestown. But they all came from Gulnare.

I can find out the exact answer for you tonight at footy training as we have a couple of Kitschkes who still play for us.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5592 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:44 am

DoublebluTiger wrote:
robranisgod wrote:

Correct on the mid north link. According to the great Sturt book 'The Old Double Blues' by Angel Fernandez that Kitschke has contributed to, Kitschke said he played his junior footy at Gulnare-Redhill

Yep that would be 100% correct. Gulnare-Redhill is one of the many forms that the modern day BSR (Brinkworth, Spalding, Redhill) has taken. At one point in time they have had G's in their name for Gulnare and were also direclty merged with the Yacka Football Club.

The mixed clubs have a very proud history of players making it at SANFL league level, off the top of my head i can think of....

-Stringers x 2
-Kitschke
-Dennis Weckert
-Adam 'Buckets' MacKenzie
-Todd Slade
-Jack Hayes
-Nick Hayes
-Joe Heinjus
-Lachie Wilsdon
-Patrick Weckert (no direct relation to Dennis)

No doubt there is a few old timers im missing.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5592 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum