SANFL videos

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Re: SANFL videos

Postby JK » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:23 pm

Slots It Through wrote:
Constance_Perm wrote:
Slots It Through wrote:I have the 1990 SANFL Prelim Port v North where Hodges kicks 13. He is brilliant in this game, kicks them from everywhere.

I'd always thought he kicked 11 that day, is that right - 13?? :shock:

Nah he got 13 mate. 7 the week before in the semi, and i think another 7 in the grand final. This was when he was at his absolute best.

I used to go to a lot of Port games back in those days because all my mates were Port fans, and to be able to watch their team of that era quite regularly as an unbiased supporter was actually quite enjoyable due to the quality that was on display.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby mrjbeam1981 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:32 pm

i'd love to get a copy of the 78 grand final if that can be arranged.
mrjbeam1981
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby LPH » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:58 pm

Please, Please, Please...

1988 GF Port v Bays, anyone????

My old man umpired that game - he died in '94 & I have VERY FEW momentos. :(

I bought a copy of the Budget - from 'toss of the coin' on Unley Road, about 4 yrs ago.

But I would LOVE a copy of the entire game - to show to MY son.

If anybody can help??? :D
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby CK » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:50 pm

mrjbeam1981 wrote:i'd love to get a copy of the 78 grand final if that can be arranged.

It's well worth watching. For fans of SANFL, the atmosphere is quite amazing throughout and that's without getting into John Wynne popping into the Sturt coaches box to say g'day to Jack Oatey; Brian Adamson's five goals after a very frustrating year relating to his clearance from West Perth, and then concluding with a decision that is still difficult to work out exactly what it is for, even today.

My apologies to all Sturt fans reading this :)

The 1984 Grand Final is also very entertaining viewing. Sat and watched it from start to finish a while ago, having not seen it since I was there at the time (did watch it on replay twice a couple of weeks after, on TV). To assess the game again through different eyes is a fascinating study. While Keith Thomas was a very worthy winner, I thought at the time - and still do - that Glen Vardanega could still have been a very fair winner also. Would be interested to hear the thoughts of other posters like Adelaide Hawk, Rogernumber10 etc on this one.
Can you guess where I'm calling from, the Las Vegas Hilton...
CK
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Mr66 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:34 pm

CK wrote:
mrjbeam1981 wrote:My apologies to all Sturt fans reading this :)

The 1984 Grand Final is also very entertaining viewing.

No offense taken CK. ;) Every club has a 'one that got away' in its closet
I recently watched it again and the game was a shocker until the last 1/4.
A lot of GFs are judged by their final quarters and therefore (rightly or wrongly) achieve their legendary status. The '78 GF falls into the 'wrongly' category. Ordinary game but a great last stanza
1984 is the opposite.
From start to finish this game did not let up one iota.
Still my favourite sporting match , not just football game,of all time.

BTW MrJB1981, Norwood sells DVDs of its GF victories for about $26 each.
If one person does it, it's insanity. If millions do it, it's religion.

http://www.beyondblue.org.au
Mr66
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby rogernumber10 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:35 am

As a norwood and geelong person, I put 1984 and 1982 with 2009 and 2007 respectively.

In 82 and 07, on each occasion you knew by early in the second quarter that we just weren't going to lose and you could just enjoy the day. Funnily enough, because both games were comfortable wins, I don't have huge memories of either one.

As for 84 and 09, they were so tense all day and the memories from 84 always coming rushing back when someone mentions the game. I assume that the Cats' win from last year will be the same, simply because it was such a tough slog to get the prize.

From 1984, the things that always stand out to me are;
- Keith Thomas' mark. Just never gets enough credit for how good a mark it was.
- Michael Aish's run. To find the energy at that stage from somewhere to take the ball 140 metres yourself is a massive result.
- Roberts' attempted leap in the pocket, miss of the mark, quick re-gather and snap that put the margin beyond doubt and had Balme and the bench doing fist pumps before composing themselves.
Roger Woodcock -- 602 goals from a forward flank makes you a legend.
rogernumber10
League - Best 21

Been liked: 0 time

Postby JK » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:46 am

rogernumber10 wrote:From 1984, the things that always stand out to me are;
- Keith Thomas' mark. Just never gets enough credit for how good a mark it was.
- Michael Aish's run. To find the energy at that stage from somewhere to take the ball 140 metres yourself is a massive result.
- Roberts' attempted leap in the pocket, miss of the mark, quick re-gather and snap that put the margin beyond doubt and had Balme and the bench doing fist pumps before composing themselves.

Geez, now you've brought those feelings back to me mate .. Other highlights:

- National Anthem scuffle
- Stoush about 10 seconds into the game, free to Aish, 1st goal of the game.
- Lester Ross' performance
- Keith Thomas' final quarter goal (after Aishy's run)
- Justin Scanlon's 2 big marks in the final 5 minutes when Port were pressing for a way back
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:30 pm

Constance_Perm wrote:- Keith Thomas' final quarter goal (after Aishy's run)

Keith Thomas did two of the most sensational things I've seen in 45 years of Grand Finals, that mark, and the running goal of which you speak. Sensational game from KT who was pumped and in the zone that day. With the number of talented players at the club in that era, sometimes you forget just how sublimely skilled KT was.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:55 am

Adelaide Hawk wrote:
Constance_Perm wrote:- Keith Thomas' final quarter goal (after Aishy's run)

Keith Thomas did two of the most sensational things I've seen in 45 years of Grand Finals, that mark, and the running goal of which you speak. Sensational game from KT who was pumped and in the zone that day. With the number of talented players at the club in that era, sometimes you forget just how sublimely skilled KT was.

Agree completely, KT was probably my first real favourite player .. I have footage of the after match from that GF and Rocky Roberts rightly put KT up on a pedestal for "resurrecting" us in that final quarter.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby am Bays » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:12 am

can you Norwood blokes go find a room.....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby JK » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:39 am

No worries AB

(you're still hurt that Roger Woodcock was better than Stephen Copping aren't ya? :lol: )
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:39 pm

Blame CK ... he asked what we thought :)
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Postby CK » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:22 pm

Fair call, and I'll take heed on that point and make it fair to all fans in this one.

am Bays - your thoughts on the 1982 GF please? :)
Can you guess where I'm calling from, the Las Vegas Hilton...
CK
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:26 pm

CK wrote:Fair call, and I'll take heed on that point and make it fair to all fans in this one.

am Bays - your thoughts on the 1982 GF please? :)

Gefugged!!!

My memories of the 1982 GF are coming off from playing a soccer game - we got thrashed - in the back blokes of Arnhem Land to the news we got touched up by 8 goals. Never seen the game nor any highlights and I don't want to...

The beauty of living up bush in the NT in teh early 80s is that my memories of 81-82 GFs are limited to less than a minute of highlights on The Tigers of Old DVD of the 81 GF. No radio of teh game. They are a distant memory over the horizon of my mind, Thank Cornesy....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Benchwarmer » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:58 pm

Crashes & Clashes video on eBay for $55 (may have even been an ex-rental copy). Just a bit too much for my liking if it is :(

I am going to pick up a copy of the 1984 GF from Norwood when I am over next week ... I remember the stoush during the anthem when the game was on live into Melbourne (that day was the first time I ever heard the word 'stoush'!)
Last edited by Benchwarmer on Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benchwarmer
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Callington

Postby Benchwarmer » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:07 pm

What years were covered by 'That Was the Year'?

I got 1981 and 1990 through At The Toss of A Coin. Does anyone know if he has other years?

What GFs from the late 1970s and the 1980s are available from clubs and other places? I am in Adelaide late next week and have been saving my pennies for a bit of a buy-up on DVDs and SA footy stuff.
Benchwarmer
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Callington

Postby JK » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:33 pm

Benchwarmer wrote:What years were covered by 'That Was the Year'?

I got 1981 and 1990 through At The Toss of A Coin. Does anyone know if he has other years?

I reckon 81-90 were the years covered mate ... Have seen 81-84 myself and one other (but can't remember which year).

I have copies of 82 and 84 somewhere I would need to dig up, but happy to pass them on if you want them.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Leaping Lindner » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:37 pm

Yep 81-90 is the Year that was. There is/was a video which is a combination of footage of champions from each club....Robran, Bagshaw, Ebert, Tyrell, Baynes (?) etc - cant remember them all - and features a lot of 70s footage. Toss of the Coin has a copy but it's Beta!
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby nickname » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:27 pm

Leaping Lindner wrote:Yep 81-90 is the Year that was. There is/was a video which is a combination of footage of champions from each club....Robran, Bagshaw, Ebert, Tyrell, Baynes (?) etc - cant remember them all - and features a lot of 70s footage. Toss of the Coin has a copy but it's Beta!

Portrait of Champions it's called. I have a VHS copy, which I bought mainly for the Luders stuff. That segment is great value though many, if not most, of his greatest marks were never captured on tape, being in non-televised games. There's also a segment of violent clashes which is compelling, including some great footage of the famous dust-up in the Essendon v West Adelaide trial match in the 70s when our runner, Dick Michalcyk, started a blue.
nickname
League Bench Warmer

Postby smithy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:28 am

Does anyone know the musician that wrote the song for those videos and is there a link?
The intro where you can see amongst other footage, a heap of central cheer squad flags, micheal graham, john halbert as bays coach , mcavaney in the comms box etc.

It ends, the footy, you just can't beat being there.
smithy

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum