Your clubs team in 1990 if the VFL/AFL hadn't poached them

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Your clubs team in 1990 if the VFL/AFL hadn't poached them

Postby am Bays » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:00 am

One thing that stuck in my claw as we were being raped and pillaged in the 1980s was that you couldn't go down to your home ground and watch the best of your club take on the best of another club.

E.g I would have loved to have seen S Kernahan up against G Phillips in the 1990 GF, or see McGuinness lock horns with Tony Francis or John Platten at Elizabeth or the Parade.

I'm biased but can not think of a better home grown half forward line in Australia, in 1990, than R Jameson, S Kernahan T Hall. FWIW I can not think of a better home grown centre line of B Abernethy C Bradley G Wanganeen (I know he also played on the ball and half forward but R Smith was handy too!!)

So in 1990 if we hadn't been plundered by the VFL/AFL sharks I believe our GF side would have been:

M Liptak J Fidge N Chigwidden
R Jameson, S Kernahan T Hall
L Bow D Marshall T Symonds
D Kernahan J Seebohm R Thompson
R Gibbs C Duthy J West
C Melican C McDermott T McGuinness
Int A Bartlett S Salisbury (Bartlett only in as ruck relief)

Players in AFL circa 1990

Apologies to D Mansell, P Maynard, P Rouvray, M Murphy, C Budarick and M Donovan last two crippled in their prime by ACL injuries
Couldn't select G Christie and C Lamb form our 1990 side as they would have been playing for South and West respectively.

I'd be interested to see other people think their best side would be if they hadn't been plundered by the VFL/AFL.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 1846 times

Re: Your clubs team in 1990 if the VFL/AFL hadn't poached th

Postby Punk Rooster » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:02 am

1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:One thing that stuck in my claw as we were being raped and pillaged in the 1980s was that you couldn't go down to your home ground and watch the best of your club take on the best of another club.
lol, I think you mean "craw"!
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:21 am

Let's be really fair about this and not include players we "poached" from other clubs and interstate. One of the things that has annoyed me over the years was SA media complaining about the VFL recruiting our players and yet we could see nothing wrong with recruiting players from WA, Tasmania, VFA, etc. The Glenelg team is a good one, but to be consistent, players like Fidge, Gibbs and Maynard shouldn't be included if it's the home grown product you are looking for.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Magpiespower » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:23 am

F: M. Williams, Hodges, Ginever
HF: D. Smith, Russell, Wanganeen
C: Tregenza, Bradley, Anderson
HB: Leslie, Phillips, Abernethy
B: Fiacchi, Delaney, Hughes
R: Hynes, Obst, S. Williams
Int: Johnston, Brown
Last edited by Magpiespower on Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magpiespower
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby am Bays » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:27 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:Let's be really fair about this and not include players we "poached" from other clubs and interstate. One of the things that has annoyed me over the years was SA media complaining about the VFL recruiting our players and yet we could see nothing wrong with recruiting players from WA, Tasmania, VFA, etc. The Glenelg team is a good one, but to be consistent, players like Fidge, Gibbs and Maynard shouldn't be included if it's the home grown product you are looking for.

Yeah point taken, particularly with respect to Gibbs. Your honour if I could approach the bench I susppose my rationale behind Fidge and Maynard is that they were VFL rejects - surplus to requirement so to speak but under my criteria of home grown I take your point.

Chuck in Budarick (FF) and Donovan or Mansell (Int) for the WAFL and VFL recruits. Mind you based on 1990 form I should have had Mansell in there from the start or maybe B Deane who had his best year in 1990. In 1990 Maynard ended up playing reserves and didn't play in our GF side
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 1846 times

Postby Leaping Lindner » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:09 pm

At first thought.....

F: A.Antrobus, Burton, Parsons
HF: D.Robertson, Bennett, Craig
C: B.Phillips , D.Jarman, Sanders
HB: Perkins, Clisby, M.Campbell
B: Ryan, Tasker, Trenorden
R: Redden, Klomp, D.Hart
Int: Lehmann, Saliba

That going on the who was in form late in 1990 and who was playing AFL at the time.
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Punk Rooster » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:34 pm

F: A Antrobus, P Bennett, M Parsons
HF: D Robertson, W Carey, N Craig
C: B Phillips , D Jarman, M Campbell
HB: T Perkins, S Wellman, T Clisby
B: B Ryan, S Tasker, B Hart
R: M Redden, K Klomp, D Hart
Int: T Lehmann, D Sanders

I've used a bit of "license" as, Wellman & Hart were 1 year off, & Carey was starting to dominate in the AFL

PS Leaping Lindner's side was used, with some minor twists, for mine.
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum