Good old years - the best, the worst and the characters

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Re: Good old years - the best, the worst and the characters

Postby FattyLumpkin » Sun May 17, 2009 8:53 pm

John Wynne - great character. A man you loved to hate as an opposition supporter, but always appreciated his style!
With your hands on your head, or the trigger of your gun
FattyLumpkin
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby dedja » Mon May 18, 2009 12:00 am

FattyLumpkin wrote:John Wynne - great character. A man you loved to hate as an opposition supporter, but always appreciated his style!

Ah ... Two Eight ... I always though the guy was crazy and it was absolutely confirmed when I met him.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

This post has not been approved by Dave from Alberton.
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 254 times
Been liked: 1067 times

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Mon May 18, 2009 6:52 am

I'll tell you something about John Wynne. He was the heart and soul of the Norwood Football Club during a very successful era, and his love of the club and desire to succeed was unequalled. If you were a Norwood person, John Wynne would look after you.

A lot of people never knew he has been a non-smoker and teetotaller all his life. One Saturday night at the end of the evening there was an RBT just outside the club, and 2-8 went out first, putting on an act as if he had one too many. The police grabbed him and got him to breath in the bag. In the meantime, the rest of us just wandered off to our cars. I'll never forget Wynney with that cheeky grin waving good night to us, and the poor old police not realising what was happening.

When he was a promising junior at West Perth, they had an exercise where the players were dropped off miles from the club and told to "make their own way back to the club". The other players started to run back, but not John. He looked around for a couple of soft drink bottles, cashed them in at a shop, rang his mum and asked her to pick him up. You can imagine the looks on the West Perth people when a car drives up and out hops Wynney.

That gives you an idea of the resources and cunning that made Wynne such a success as a player. Wynne was crazy alright ... crazy as a fox.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Postby am Bays » Mon May 18, 2009 7:00 am

Adelaide Hawk wrote:I'll tell you something about John Wynne. He was the heart and soul of the Norwood Football Club during a very successful era, and his love of the club and desire to succeed was unequalled. If you were a Norwood person, John Wynne would look after you.

A lot of people never knew he has been a non-smoker and teetotaller all his life. One Saturday night at the end of the evening there was an RBT just outside the club, and 2-8 went out first, putting on an act as if he had one too many. The police grabbed him and got him to breath in the bag. In the meantime, the rest of us just wandered off to our cars. I'll never forget Wynney with that cheeky grin waving good night to us, and the poor old police not realising what was happening.

When he was a promising junior at West Perth, they had an exercise where the players were dropped off miles from the club and told to "make their own way back to the club". The other players started to run back, but not John. He looked around for a couple of soft drink bottles, cashed them in at a shop, rang his mum and asked her to pick him up. You can imagine the looks on the West Perth people when a car drives up and out hops Wynney.

That gives you an idea of the resources and cunning that made Wynne such a success as a player. Wynne was crazy alright ... crazy as a fox.

AH

I'd believe that story if they had container deposit recycling in WA in the 60s/early 70s. Given we were the first state to introduce it in 1975...

Despite all that he was a very good player
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 1846 times

Postby dedja » Mon May 18, 2009 11:37 am

Adelaide Hawk wrote:I'll tell you something about John Wynne. He was the heart and soul of the Norwood Football Club during a very successful era, and his love of the club and desire to succeed was unequalled. If you were a Norwood person, John Wynne would look after you.

A lot of people never knew he has been a non-smoker and teetotaller all his life.

Yep, that's the bloke I remember, I met him when I played juniors at Norwood. Man, he had some out there ideas, but you're absolutely right about his loyalty to the club.

Teetotaller? ... hang on, didn't he end up running a pub in Tennant Creek?

dedja
Coach

Postby heater31 » Mon May 18, 2009 12:05 pm

am Bays wrote:

AH

I'd believe that story if they had container deposit recycling in WA in the 60s/early 70s. Given we were the first state to introduce it in 1975...

Could be true as back then I think that the soft drink bottles would have been glass and could be re-filled. find a couple return them to a shop hey presto some cash for a public phone
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Dog_ger » Mon May 18, 2009 6:42 pm

Peter Carey - Glenelg

Gave his everything.

I think he should be in the Champions..??? ;)
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Been liked: 19 times

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Mon May 18, 2009 8:31 pm

dedja wrote:
Worst Coach
Graham Campbell - scratched due to popular demand, Don Scott, Russell Ebert, Rick Davies, Kevin Higgins [courtesy therisingblues]

Was Don Scott really that bad a coach or was what he did away from the football field a concern for the players/board?
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon May 18, 2009 9:34 pm

heater31 wrote:
am Bays wrote:

AH

Could be true as back then I think that the soft drink bottles would have been glass and could be re-filled. find a couple return them to a shop hey presto some cash for a public phone

IIRC I have heard Kim Hughes talking about doing this to collect money for his first cricket bat, so there must have been some sort of scheme. Completely relevant to the topic at hand....
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 176 times

Postby dedja » Mon May 18, 2009 9:42 pm

Dog_ger wrote:Peter Carey - Glenelg

Gave his everything.

I think he should be in the Champions..??? ;)

Super was the heart and soul of the club for years ... there is some talk of him being admitted to the AFL Hall of Fame this year.

I'd agree but I didn't want to be seen as too baised!

The other omission in the champions category is Rick Davies ... his effort in the '76 GF stands out as one of the all time best games. From memory, 16 kicks, 16 marks, 16 handballs.
Last edited by dedja on Mon May 18, 2009 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dedja
Coach

Postby am Bays » Mon May 18, 2009 9:44 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
heater31 wrote:

IIRC I have heard Kim Hughes talking about doing this to collect money for his first cricket bat, so there must have been some sort of scheme. Completely relevant to the topic at hand....

Okay i'll stand corrected...
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 1846 times

Postby Leaping Lindner » Mon May 18, 2009 10:59 pm

You use to be able to take glass bottles (1 litre and 750ml) back to the deli and get 20c for the empty. Pretty sure this applied in all states. That was how I mainly funded my early love affair with Marlboro Reds...:-$
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Tue May 19, 2009 6:56 am

Leaping Lindner wrote:You use to be able to take glass bottles (1 litre and 750ml) back to the deli and get 20c for the empty. Pretty sure this applied in all states. That was how I mainly funded my early love affair with Marlboro Reds...:-$

Yep, it was good pocket money if you were at the footy and collected some bottles at half time. A lot of people couldn't be bothered returning one bottle so they were happy to give them up to a kid with hungry eyes :)

I did that a lot. If some people weren't aware of the refund bottle deposit system, they may also be unaware of the great coca-cola bottle caps back in the mid 60s with the player faces under the lids. They were magic.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Postby mal » Tue May 19, 2009 9:36 am

I remember talking to Greg Turbill one Saturday night when he was sober
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1184 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby dedja » Tue May 19, 2009 9:38 am

mal wrote:I remember talking to Greg Turbill one Saturday night when he was sober

:shock:

dedja
Coach

Postby Psyber » Tue May 19, 2009 9:50 am

heater31 wrote: ...Could be true as back then I think that the soft drink bottles would have been glass and could be re-filled. find a couple return them to a shop hey presto some cash for a public phone
Here in SA kids in the 1950s collected glass bottles as they could be redeemed for cash.
I don't recall when deposits were introduced at the point of sale in shops, but glass bottles could be sold to independent recyclers just as scrap metal could.
The introduction of disposable plastic bottles and cans forced the introduction of a formal deposit system much later.

Yes, glass bottles were washed and refilled - I remember touring the Coca-Cola bottling site and seeing the semi-automated process.
Glass milk bottles were washed and re-used too.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby dedja » Tue May 19, 2009 9:55 am

so apparently the most exiting thing about the great SANFL players of the past is the drink container deposit system of the '70s???

:-t

dedja
Coach

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Tue May 19, 2009 6:33 pm

dedja wrote:so apparently the most exiting thing about the great SANFL players of the past is the drink container deposit system of the '70s???

:-t

No, but this is what happens when people don't believe what you tell them. From that moment, detours will always occur.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Postby dedja » Tue May 19, 2009 6:53 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:No, but this is what happens when people don't believe what you tell them. From that moment, detours will always occur.

I totally understand, the 4 women I live with do the same thing.

;)

dedja
Coach

Postby JK » Tue May 19, 2009 9:13 pm

dedja wrote:
mal wrote:I remember talking to Greg Turbill one Saturday night when he was sober

:shock:

:lol: :lol:
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum