The SANFL's most infamous incident?

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Re: The SANFL's most infamous incident?

Postby Magellan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:28 am

beef wrote:Port picking Max James in 84 GF

Wasn't that something to do with James not being fit?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:33 am

The Port supporter hitting Delaney with a rock at Prospect.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2063 times
Been liked: 3920 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:56 am

Dogwatcher wrote:1997 prelim final - McIntosh whacking a kid and missing the GF the following week. Which was followed by him receiving a premiership medal.
Just another example of an NFC disgrace being offset by the SANFL's favouritism.

Not going to get me arguing that...
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7532 times
Been liked: 10840 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:02 pm

Booney wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:1997 prelim final - McIntosh whacking a kid and missing the GF the following week. Which was followed by him receiving a premiership medal.
Just another example of an NFC disgrace being offset by the SANFL's favouritism.

Wan't it Rob Popplestone who took it upon himself to make the decision during the presentation?
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 451 times
Been liked: 1226 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby JK » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:36 pm

Won us a flag, which is the sole priority. He was as embarressed by the medal as anyone, think it was the ABC that orchestrated it. Pretty sure Robbie West received one the year before despite not playing, as Colville would later. All wrong, but not the players doing.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby JK » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:37 pm

Booney wrote:

Don't think you're in a position to judge favoritism toward a ckub mate ;)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby RB » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:40 pm

JK wrote:

Won us a flag, which is the sole priority. He was as embarressed by the medal as anyone, think it was the ABC that orchestrated it. Pretty sure Robbie West received one the year before despite not playing, as Colville would later. All wrong, but not the players doing.

I don't think Colville receiving a medal can be compared with Gary McIntosh.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 773 times
Been liked: 1085 times

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:41 pm

RB wrote:
JK wrote:

Or the circumstances which led to Robbie West receiving one. McIntosh was suspended.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:42 pm

JK wrote:
Booney wrote:

Been going out of their way to destroy us for years. 8)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:42 pm

As a kid growing up, the incidents' I thought made most waves, in order were:

- Granger in 82' Prelim
- Twiggy Caldwell injury in 81' GF
- Wynne/Coaches box and Foster/Imaginary Free kick in 78' GF
- Salisbury v Anderson in 86'

Before my time, but Kerley v Nygaard is/was certainly notorious.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby JK » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:43 pm

Booney wrote:
RB wrote:
JK wrote:

Or the circumstances which led to Robbie West receiving one. McIntosh was suspended.

Oh, so there are circumstances where you don't play in the GF but it's OK to receive a players medal? Hmmmkay ... :shock:
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby JK » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:45 pm

RB wrote:
JK wrote:

When talking footballers Colville should never be compared with Macca, you're right, my bad ;)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:45 pm

Nope, don't agree with any of them, but circumstances can and should be viewed in different light.

Being suspended would be, in any measure, the least likely of circumstances in which you should be awarded one.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:48 pm

Booney wrote:Nope, don't agree with any of them, but circumstances can and should be viewed in different light.

Being suspended would be, in any measure, the least likely of circumstances in which you should be awarded one.

Not worth the debate I don't think mate. I think most would agree no medal unless you play. Irrelevant then as to why the players missed.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:51 pm

JK wrote:
Booney wrote:

Yeah, I know. All those years in the wilderness when we were the SANFL's love child ;)
Then all those flags, produced by brilliant coaching, recruiting and structure. Definitely the result of the SANFL's love for us.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:52 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
JK wrote:
Booney wrote:

Yeah, I know. All those years in the wilderness when we were the SANFL's love child ;)
Then all those flags, produced by brilliant coaching, recruiting and structure. Definitely the result of the SANFL's love for us.

Come on mate, you know the youngest child always gets the lightest treatment.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby RB » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:55 pm

JK wrote:
Booney wrote:Nope, don't agree with any of them, but circumstances can and should be viewed in different light.

Not worth the debate I don't think mate. I think most would agree no medal unless you play. Irrelevant then as to why the players missed.

I agree that they shouldn't get them, but there's a difference between being an injured veteran who had played for 12 seasons (and almost all games in 2006) and a guy who was suspended and already had a couple of medals anyway.

As I said, I don't believe they should be awarded to players who didn't play, but I agree with Boonie that it's important to note the circumstances.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 773 times
Been liked: 1085 times

Postby JK » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:03 pm

RB wrote:
JK wrote:

I agree that they shouldn't get them, but there's a difference between being an injured veteran who had played for 12 seasons (and almost all games in 2006) and a guy who was suspended and already had a couple of medals anyway.

As I said, I don't believe they should be awarded to players who didn't play, but I agree with Boonie that it's important to note the circumstances.

I don't see that as important - Sure the circumstances for West were unfortunate, and Colville too, although players missing a Grand Final due to injury would have been fairly common over the years you'd think. Still don't see any reason for the discussion though, it changes nothing that we all agree on - Don't play, don't receive a medal.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:05 pm

Booney wrote: Come on mate, you know the youngest child always gets the lightest treatment.

The Eagles?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby JK » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:05 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
JK wrote:
Booney wrote:

Having trouble working out whos talking to to who with this new quoting system mate? :lol:
FUSC
JK
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum