Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Re: Quiz: When was this photo taken?

Postby Harry the Horse » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:56 am

grant j wrote:
Harry the Horse wrote:
grant j wrote:1st Sept 1979
Round 22.
Prospect Oval

We have a winner. How did you recognise it?

Cause I'm smart :lol: :lol: :lol:

no not really. Searched the scores on spreadsheet

I was presented the photo by a mate who had no idea when it was taken and asked for help. The A B scoreline stood out for me because I remembered the game. Of course the three scores below it are all only three quarter time scores so pretty hard to remember them.
Harry the Horse
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby Harry the Horse » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:31 am

A few more footnotes from this photo and round which was part of what I believe to be the closest and most unpredictable SANFL season ever.
(I know there is a thread on this elsewhere in the forum)

The Sunday Mail reported after the South-Central game: "... is anyone of this season's five contenders good enough to be or deserving of the title premier?
There is a theory doing the rounds that this premiership will be won by default and it will be the "softest" steal of all time."
Amazing how the closeness of the competition at the time was seen as a weakness rather than a strength. Only 8 years later, the VFL set up the draft and salary cap to achieve exactly that outcome.

- Peter Woite kicked 4 goals for Glenelg against his old side as the Tigers finished their first season outside the finals since 1972 with three straight wins including one over the eventual premier.
- Brian Adamson kicked 8 goals against Sturt at the Parade (think that was his best individual haul)
- 10,514 people watched South beat minor premier Central at Elizabeth.
- Wayne Stringer booted 4.3 of North's 23.16 while David Wildy booted 8 in the reserves.
- West Adelaide's reserves team included future premiership players Dirk De Jong, Peter Winter, Tony Burgess and Bruce Lindner as well as Mark Mickan.
- The Wolves had two players boot more than 50 goals (Roger Luders 59 and Trevor Pierson 58) finishing third and fourth on the goalkicking ladder in a season where Glynn Hewitt's haul of 80 saw him finish top. They were also the third highest scoring team for the season yet finished with the wooden spoon.
- Sturt had three players kick more than 40 goals (Phil Heinrich 46, Paul Bagshaw 42 and Ken Whelan 41), finishing 6th, 8th and 9th on the goalkicking list yet they dropped from sixth to ninth after the final minor round, their lowest ever finish.
- Woodville reached their first ever finals series on the back of their fourth straight loss to Sturt (9th), South (3rd), West (10th) and Torrens (8th).
Harry the Horse
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby MagareyLegend » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:16 pm

I played for North in this game and Mark Williams did for West.
"Cousins, runs away from Carr ... not the first time we've seen that this season." - Dennis Commetti
MagareyLegend
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby dedja » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:19 pm

Well faark me, why didn't you provide the answer to the quiz then!
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Postby am Bays » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:40 am

MagareyLegend wrote:I played for North in this game and Mark Williams did for West.

Not sure that that is possible as wasn't Chocco was at Footy park that weekend playing the Bays? Following their father's resignation from West in 1978 I'm usure all the Williams siblings (sans) Jenny transferred to Port.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 1833 times

Postby Magpiespower » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:30 pm

am Bays wrote:
MagareyLegend wrote:I played for North in this game and Mark Williams did for West.

Not sure that that is possible as wasn't Chocco was at Footy park that weekend playing the Bays? Following their father's resignation from West in 1978 I'm usure all the Williams siblings (sans) Jenny transferred to Port.

Williams boys first played for Port in '79...
Everyone can eat s#!t! A big bag of s#!t! I'm the greatest man in the world!
Magpiespower
Coach

Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby robranisgod » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:41 am

And did you get your pseudonym from the previous league game at Prospect played three weeks earlier when North beat the Bays?
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 231 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby RM » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:30 am

And the crowds please.
RM
Under 16s

Location: Near Grand North, The Northern Tavern and Prospect Oval. All belong to the Mighty NAFC.
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Lincoln South

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum