Insignificant stat

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Re: Insignificant stat

Postby Aerie » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:27 am

If "Big" is based on crowd numbers when a team is going well, leaving Port out, it would go:

Norwood
----
Sturt
----
Glenelg
Central
----
North
----
Eagles
----
West
South

Would be interesting to see where Port and Crows fit in there. Port, even since the Power came in, would still sit with Norwood at the top I reckon. Now they are purely a Reserves team it will be interesting to see the change (plus or minus) in support.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 552 times

Postby Leaping Lindner » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:55 pm

therisingblues wrote:I think in the 5 seasons between 1974 and 1978, the top four positions were always filled with a combination of Sturt, Norwood, Port and Glenelg. With the extended run of high finishes by those four sides in the years surrounding 74 to 78 we had a big 4.

Take out Sturt and Norwood in 77. West and South finished top 4.
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby Panther Pack » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:39 am

Aerie wrote:If "Big" is based on crowd numbers when a team is going well, leaving Port out, it would go:

Norwood
----
Sturt
----
Glenelg
Central
----
North
----
Eagles
----
West
South

Would be interesting to see where Port and Crows fit in there. Port, even since the Power came in, would still sit with Norwood at the top I reckon. Now they are purely a Reserves team it will be interesting to see the change (plus or minus) in support.

Not sure Centrals attract more than North when both teams up and about.

Also you can't really include South as they have not had a period of going well in so long it's pretty much impossible to determine what types of Crowds they would attract!!!
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 145 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:49 pm

Aerie wrote:If "Big" is based on crowd numbers when a team is going well, leaving Port out, it would go:

Norwood
----
Sturt
----
Glenelg
Central
----
North
----
Eagles
----
West
South

Well given Glenelg and Sturt went equaly "well" in 2007-2010 and we consitently exceeded their crowds in terms of both home and away I reckon we've got them covered in terms of crowd support when a team is going well. http://www.sanfl.com.au/files/_system/File/PDFs/2013/SANFL_AR2013.pdf

Also agree with others that North would have a bigger supprtor base than Centrals when both teams up and going well.
Last edited by am Bays on Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 1919 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:50 pm

Leaping Lindner wrote:
therisingblues wrote:I think in the 5 seasons between 1974 and 1978, the top four positions were always filled with a combination of Sturt, Norwood, Port and Glenelg. With the extended run of high finishes by those four sides in the years surrounding 74 to 78 we had a big 4.

Take out Sturt and Norwood in 77. West and South finished top 4.

but add 80 and 82
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 1919 times

Postby therisingblues » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:25 pm

am Bays wrote:

Norwood
----
Sturt
----
Glenelg
Central
----
North
----
Eagles
----
West
South

Well given Glenelg and Sturt went equaly "well" in 2007-2010 and we consitently exceeded their crowds in terms of both home and away I reckon we've got them covered in terms of crowd support when a team is going well. http://www.sanfl.com.au/files/_system/File/PDFs/2013/SANFL_AR2013.pdf

Also agree with others that North would have a bigger supprtor base than Centrals when both teams up and going well.

I'd have to agree that Glenelg has had greater support from 2007 onward. I'd thought our support was down before lpoking at the link you supplied.
But to be fair, we are comparing a period where Glenelg did well after a very long time in the bottom four, and Sturt were experiencing regular finals appearances since about 1997. In other words the Glenelg bandwagon was in full swing and Glenelg being more than competitive was still a novelty for many. (Actually looking back it remains a novelty)
Also it's interesting tonite Sturt's crowds barely dropped off even after finishing bottom more than once, suggesting a solid core group.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby stampy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:55 pm

The AO after olsens name stands for arse'ole surely
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 345 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:43 pm

Screw the big four. There is a big one. Norwood. You know it's true.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1728 times
Been liked: 1837 times

Postby Pseudo » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:19 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Current day big four - Norwood, Eagles, Centrals, ?

and Centrals again. They get to be there twice.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1604 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:12 am

Pseudo wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Current day big four - Norwood, Eagles, Centrals, ?

and Centrals again. They get to be there twice.

Current day or 10 years ago?
Current day Big 4 is clearly Norwood, North, Adelaide and the Power. ;)
Armchair expert wrote:Such a great club are Geelong
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2151 times
Been liked: 4090 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum