1976 GF: Sturt vs Port

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Postby firstblood » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:52 am

funny thing happened that day...as i was not at the game, i was moving into a flat
on tapley's hill rd that day and the traffic was banked up all the way back to
henley beach rd....as i was trying to manover furniture in and out the streets
i noticed a ford falcon with the one and only rick davies trying desperately hard
to get to footy park via side streets..... well i geuss he got there on time as he
played the game of his life and destroyed port.....
firstblood
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Jimmy » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:29 pm

firstblood wrote:funny thing happened that day...as i was not at the game, i was moving into a flat
i noticed a ford falcon with the one and only rick davies trying desperately hard
to get to footy park via side streets..... well i geuss he got there on time as he

apparantly, him and another player had to get out and run to the ground to avoid being late....one of their wives/gf's stayed in the car to park it. lol :lol:
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Leaping Lindner » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:43 pm

Jimmy wrote:
firstblood wrote:funny thing happened that day...as i was not at the game, i was moving into a flat

apparantly, him and another player had to get out and run to the ground to avoid being late....one of their wives/gf's stayed in the car to park it. lol :lol:

IIRC it was Mick Nunan. Which would make it 2/3 of the first ruck.
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Ebert, Evans & Me » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:09 pm

I was 5 and the 1976 Grand Final was my first football memory. My father went to the match and left my brothers and me with my grandparents in Largs North. I remember my grandmother getting increasingly frustrated while listening to the match on the radio until she began swearing at the "wireless". By early in the last quarter my grandfather realised that a) Port were done for and that b) it was only a matter of time before my grandmother turned her frustration onto him and bolted for the Largs Pier Pub.
I also remember the eerieness of the deserted streets of Largs North. At some point during the match I wandered outside to Lady Gowrie Drive and noticed no cars, people or anything on the roads.

My father later said that it was the only time he ever cried as an adult. At least Port made it up to us over the next 20 or so years.
Ebert, Evans & Me
Mini-League

Postby Jimmy » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:29 am

Ebert, Evans & Me wrote:I was 5 and the 1976 Grand Final was my first football memory. My father went to the match and left my brothers and me with my grandparents in Largs North. I remember my grandmother getting increasingly frustrated while listening to the match on the radio until she began swearing at the "wireless". By early in the last quarter my grandfather realised that a) Port were done for and that b) it was only a matter of time before my grandmother turned her frustration onto him and bolted for the Largs Pier Pub.
I also remember the eerieness of the deserted streets of Largs North. At some point during the match I wandered outside to Lady Gowrie Drive and noticed no cars, people or anything on the roads.

My father later said that it was the only time he ever cried as an adult. At least Port made it up to us over the next 20 or so years.

great story mate...:D
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby leftlegger » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:11 am

I had the opportunity to go, but refused.
I was a young passionate bay kid and was so devastated by the preliminary final loss to Sturt that I'd had a gut full of footy and elected not to go with my mum (we used to go to every GF regardless who was playing).
I remember the preliminary final was a very close exciting match.
Memories from the final quarter, were Glenelg getting a rough deal from the umpire Des Foster. Peter Carey took a mark on the wing and motioned to give the ball to Rick Davies (in a frustrated gesture). I also remember an irate supporter actually jumping the fence at one point.
Glenelg had more shots at goal but still lost. A very bitter day but, unlike some of the Port supporters (that have posted) we only had a couple of opportunities to make up for it over the years.

Port were raging favourites, and it was a suprise that Sturt won so easily. Given the tough final series that they had to get there.
Certainly a special moment for Sturt supporters.
leftlegger
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: PHOS Camden

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum