SA Hall of Fame Inductees

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

SA Hall of Fame Inductees

Postby Leaping Lindner » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:40 pm

A grateful state says thanks
MICHELANGELO RUCCI
August 16, 2006 12:15am

CRAIG Bradley left the SANFL in 1986 with the hope, if not expectation, he would one day return to his home at Alberton.

First, there was the incentive to play another two SANFL league games to reach his century with Port Adelaide and, by tradition, get his name on a Magpie locker.
Second, there was always hope among the Port faithful that Bradley could be lured away from Carlton to be part of their AFL adventure.

Bradley last night returned to Adelaide for a far greater honour - induction to the SA Football Hall of Fame.

He was among the eight inductions that gives the Hall, inaugurated in 2002, 150 members.

Bradley, Adelaide premiership heroes Shaun Rehn and Darren Jarman, Woodville centreman Bob Simunsen, West Adelaide's All-Australian wingman Jack Lynch, grand final umpire Rick Kinnear, Norwood and West Torrens goalkicking phenomenon Neville Roberts and North Adelaide administrator John Forrester make up the Class of 2006.

Bradley's induction - when the bulk of his football career was in the VFL-AFL at Carlton - recognises his outstanding career that changed the way South Australians were perceived in Victoria's big league.

Bradley, whose loyalty to SA football was repeatedly shown by his commitment to Origin teams, last night expressed equal pride in his induction to the SA Football Hall of Fame months after being ushered into the Australian Football Hall of Fame in Melbourne.

"It is funny to say that," said Bradley, "but I am a South Australian boy, I was brought up here, so my emotions are more than being happy to be recognised at home - I am proud, really proud."

By his performances at Carlton and in the SA Origin teams that repeatedly beat the VFL, Bradley changed decades of Victorian prejudice against South Australian footballers.

This - along with Bradley's outstanding achievements across 501 games for Port, Carlton, SA and Australia - made the former state cricketer an instant selection as soon as he became eligible for the Hall.

Bradley reflected on the challenge he, long-time friend Peter Motley, Kernahan and Platten faced in moving to the VFL in the 1980s.

"As a group," said Bradley, who played golf with Motley in Adelaide yesterday, "we knew we were swimming in the deep. We were close as a group and wanted to do our best, not only for ourselves but for our state.

"Our good record in state football shone through. And as SA boys, we knew our state got a kick out of us doing well over there (in Victoria).

"That responsibility of doing our best not only for ourselves but SA sat well with us."

In line with Bradley's contribution to SA football on a national scale, the Hall last night also recognised Rehn and Jarman - in part - for their roles in securing Adelaide's premiership double in 1997 and 1998.

North Adelaide administrator, the late John Forrester's induction continued the theme of South Australians who boldly carried the SANFL's flame on the national stage, at the Australian National Football Council.

Woodville centreman Bob Simunsen's loyalty to the old Woodpeckers as they waited for league entry in 1964 - and his record of winning an SA state team jumper before becoming a league player - promoted his induction.

FOOTNOTE: Bradley's wish to have his name recorded on a Magpie locker has been fulfilled in recognition of his place in the club's greatest team from 1870-2000.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hard to argue against any of these choices. Even "my old mate" Rick Kinnear. After the crap I saw dished up last saturday as an alledged umpiring display I long for the days when Rick blew the whistle. I was particulary pleased to see Bob Simunsen get a gig (very underrated in footy history IMO).
Just one thing. Does anyone remember who Rehn and Jarman played for prior to playing at Adelaide? The article (or author) doesn't mention it. :roll:
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:25 pm

Rocky Roberts has had a full week :)

As usual, all very deserving members of the Hall of Fame.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: SA Hall of Fame Inductees

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:27 pm

Leaping Lindner wrote:Just one thing. Does anyone remember who Jarman played for prior to playing at Adelaide?

Hawthorn :D

Only joking LL :)
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:38 pm

Dont recall Rehn playing at any vfl/afl club before adelaide but came from westies

Jarman stiffed the crows to play for hawthorn and obviously North Adelaide prior to that
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1753 times
Been liked: 2173 times

Postby Magpiespower » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:19 pm

Braddles, was and will always be, my favourite Port player, as my duffle coat will testify.

Robbed himself of the the 1983 Magarey Medal by touring England with the Australian U19s cricket team (reakon he might have been vice-captain?)

Well done, Braddles!
Magpiespower
Coach

Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby spell_check » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:43 pm

Bradley could have played those two games for Port in 2003, he was still a very serviceable player even at 38. A once in a lifetime player. Bradley played first class cricket as well.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 184 times

Postby blueandwhite » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:05 pm

congratulations to Jack Lynch.The man is a gentleman and must have been agreat player in his day.. I had the pleasure of being coached by himwhen I was a junior.
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 219 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby MightyEagles » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:18 am

D 'Fud' Jarman looks fat in the face and a bit of a tool in the photo. 8)
WOOOOO, Premiers 1993, 2006 and 2011!
Eagles - P 528 W 320 L 205 D 3 W% 60.89
WFC - P 575 W 160 L 411 D 4 W% 28.17
WTFC - P 1568 W 702 L 841 D 25 W% 45.56
Total - P 2671 W 1183 L 1457 D 32 W% 44.88
3 Flags - 1 Club
MightyEagles
Coach

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: United Eagles

Postby Leaping Lindner » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:09 pm

MightyEagles wrote:D 'Fud' Jarman looks fat in the face and a bit of a tool in the photo. 8)

Thanks for your usual insightful and interesting thoughts. I can say it's up to your usual standard.
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:23 pm

Leaping Lindner wrote:
MightyEagles wrote:D 'Fud' Jarman looks fat in the face and a bit of a tool in the photo. 8)

Thanks for your usual insightful and interesting thoughts. I can say it's up to your usual standard.

ROFLMAO, actually I thought it was one of his better ones because he used a conjuction and as a result was able to combine two phrases (please excuse the tautology).
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 1919 times

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum