Who is the seond best Full forward in SANFL history?

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Postby rd » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:43 pm

Jack Owens for me - look at the era he played in and then read Pride of the Bay to realise how bad Glenelg were for most of that era and you can then appreciate his ability. As a Sturt fan, I wish Davies had made the move to full fwd earlier as he might have challenged Farmer, but then he was the best ruckman outside of the VFL throughout the 70s so obviously Sturt used him in the best role for the team.
rd
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 29 times

Postby onkas-valleysvirgin » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:24 pm

Interesting discussion this one. It was a fair point Ecky made about the 70's and 80's however you still have to finish off the good work from upfield..and does acknowledging that it was harder in the days of 'position play' footy just make the records of Farmer,Daly,Owens etc even more remarkable?
Having been fortunate to have seen many of those on the list, and accepting Farmer is undisputably No.1. I'll go for:
2. Evans (Had an imposing swaggering arrogance that crowds love/hate)
3. Hodges (Had physical presence on the field.One of those players you were always periferally aware of even when you were not looking at him. A big game player)
4. Phillis (People forget he also was selected at state level as a centreman,centre half back, and ruckman. Used to be physically sick before big games)
5. Davies (Who wouldn't have had him in their team?...other than Merv Keane of course.Marvelous player)
6. Whelan (Sensational player with probably the worst ever kicking action ever in League football)
7. Roberts (One of the few players who could literally change the course of a game. Tremendous courage)
8. Blight (How'd he get forgotten? 35 years of age, 126 goals,state captain.Saw him kick 14 at Richmond on one leg)
9. Owens (His record speaks for itself in a side that generally got flogged most weeks.Pre-match involved a few pints at the Holdfast Hotel)
10. Dietrich (How scary would he have been if he were fit and motivated?What a waste of enormous talent)
Tiger to Viking to Bulldog to drinking cans and smoking darts in the outer again. That's footy.....
onkas-valleysvirgin
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Punk Rooster » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:35 pm

Going by stats provided, Bruce Schultz.
Grenville let himself down- moreso in the area of games played. When he was on the park, he was fantastic, but his career wasn't as long as it should've been. Give Hodges the nod over the G-Train, as he maximised his career. Take Blight & Evans too, to round out my top 5.

1. Ken Farmer
2. Bruce Schultz
3. Scott Hodges
4. Malcolm Blight
5. Tim Evans
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby Macca19 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:42 pm

Not knowing what many of the other 'candidates' have done in similar matches, Id say Hodges simply for his performances in big games.
Macca19
League - Best 21

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:38 pm

onkas-valleysvirgin wrote:Interesting discussion this one. It was a fair point Ecky made about the 70's and 80's however you still have to finish off the good work from upfield..and does acknowledging that it was harder in the days of 'position play' footy just make the records of Farmer,Daly,Owens etc even more remarkable?
Having been fortunate to have seen many of those on the list, and accepting Farmer is undisputably No.1. I'll go for:
3. Hodges (Had physical presence on the field.One of those players you were always periferally aware of even when you were not looking at him. A big game player)
4. Phillis (People forget he also was selected at state level as a centreman,centre half back, and ruckman. Used to be physically sick before big games)
5. Davies (Who wouldn't have had him in their team?...other than Merv Keane of course.Marvelous player)
6. Whelan (Sensational player with probably the worst ever kicking action ever in League football)
7. Roberts (One of the few players who could literally change the course of a game. Tremendous courage)
8. Blight (How'd he get forgotten? 35 years of age, 126 goals,state captain.Saw him kick 14 at Richmond on one leg)
9. Owens (His record speaks for itself in a side that generally got flogged most weeks.Pre-match involved a few pints at the Holdfast Hotel)
10. Dietrich (How scary would he have been if he were fit and motivated?What a waste of enormous talent)

That's amazing. You've named 10, and no Bruce Schultz. :o
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Postby McAlmanac » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:40 pm

Over the years, I've always thought it boiled down to Schultz, Churchett, Phillis and Evans. Having perused the stats, Schultz would seem to have beeen significantly more prolific than the others, so I'll go for him.
Blighty Teasdale - SuperCoach former World No. 1
McAlmanac
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby McAlmanac » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:46 pm

mal wrote:GWW

You didnt get a bite for Trevor Pierson.

But I agree with you he kicked a 100 goals
for Woodville and from memory they finished
bottom that particular year....SENSATIONAL...

1982 - one win for the last year of the Peckers. Piero kicked his hundredth at Elizabeth Oval and a whole 25-odd Pecker faithful "stormed" the field to congratulate him (me included!).

Blighty's 126 in 1985 was also in a bottom side.
McAlmanac
League - Best 21

Postby McAlmanac » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:49 pm

Macca19 wrote:The Ginevera is about to begin!

Great signature! (Hopefully it will never come true :wink: )
McAlmanac
League - Best 21

Postby onkas-valleysvirgin » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:15 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:
onkas-valleysvirgin wrote:Interesting discussion this one. It was a fair point Ecky made about the 70's and 80's however you still have to finish off the good work from upfield..and does acknowledging that it was harder in the days of 'position play' footy just make the records of Farmer,Daly,Owens etc even more remarkable?

That's amazing. You've named 10, and no Bruce Schultz. :o

Lol fair point Hawk. I may have got a trifle carried away doing that list. On relection, and with the solid arguments presented here, I'll put in Bruce Schultz and take out Whelan (for Shultz) and Dietrich. Sound fair?

Hey, it's your opinion and I'm fine with that, I was just a little surprised to see a list of the 10 best full forwards and Schultz wasn't included :) Cheers.
Tiger to Viking to Bulldog to drinking cans and smoking darts in the outer again. That's footy.....
onkas-valleysvirgin
Mini-League

Postby Leaping Lindner » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:15 pm

My first thought was Bruce Schutlz (even before reading the stats from Hawk), and I'll stick with that. Others that deserve a mention IMO are...
Bos Daly (23 goals in one game in an era when leading goalkickers didn't get 1/2 that for a whole year! - amongst other things)
Jack Owens (as RD mentions the era he played for Glenelg makes his achievements all the better)
Scott Hodges (for consistency and bags in big games)
Malcolm Blight (in his 2nd stint at Woodville kicked goals that should never have been kicked)
Churchett, Phillis and Evans are also worthy of a mention.
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby Kevin » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:29 pm

I'm surprsied no one has mentioned Bo Morton

561 goals in 138 games - cop that.

10 goals in a game 6 times
The early bird catches the worm
But the second mouse gets the cheese.
Kevin
Rookie

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:05 pm

Kevin wrote:I'm surprsied no one has mentioned Bo Morton

There was a plethora of great forwards in the 1930s and early 1940s (Farmer, Schultz, Morton, Owens, Munro, etc), it must have been a full back's nightmare.

I had the pleasure of meeting Bo Morton. His daughter taught me in grade 4 and he came along on a school excursion to Hallett Cove. I was impressed he kicked 100 goals in a season for Sturt, and the other kids were impressed he was on television :) He was a very nice man was Bo.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Postby Leaping Lindner » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:55 am

All I have to say is..... :oops: #-o
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby McAlmanac » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:16 am

I had thought about him, but had the perception that his hundred goals was a one (or two) off.

Great panellist on the Channel 9 Football Show and Football Inquest.
McAlmanac
League - Best 21

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum