Almost Coached

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Re: Almost Coached

Postby Slots It Through » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:18 pm

on the rails wrote:
Slots It Through wrote: I dont know Luke Norman, but given the way he finished with Sturt I am assuming he wouldnt have been an appealing option. I am aware of the range they were looking to pay for the role, and it doesnt compare with what Godden or Francou are probably getting but it really isnt that bad. Its a big commitment coaching an SANFL league side, but you dont just do it for the money.

Re Norman - I would have been surprised if he would have been under seriuous consideration HAD he applied for the PAFC job however who would have picked McGregor and the mail is that he was the only one willing to take the paltry $$$ on offer along with a 1 year deal due to the AFL Reserves issue looming. He might get another year yet! :D

Ken McGregor signed a 2 year deal. There were other options Stephen Williams was bitterly disappointed when he missed out on the job. The money wasnt fantastic, but if you were serious about coaching in the SANFL it wouldnt have stopped you applying or taking the gig.
Slots It Through
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby am Bays » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:24 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:IIRC reading a newspaper article, John Cahill said he received a letter of approach during the 1981 season from the Glenelg board. He said he would have loved to coach the team they had and he would have taken it up, except the Bays were top at the time, and if they were willing to go behind their current coach's back while they were top, how could he ever trust them or be safe in his job.

1982 it was. Three games clear on top going into August in 1981 everything was Tickety Boo at the Bay we weren't looking elsewhere.

In The Pride of the Bay book it states Halbert knew of approaches to Jack in 1982 and Jack was signed to coach us in '83 until Collingwood stepped in. 1982 we struggled to an extent in the minor round and only finished fourth, made the GF by winning the three finals including that Prelim. So halfway through his fourth year and the side struggling to an extent the club started to look around
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:08 pm

Mal Brown on his way back to WA after the 1974 season with Richmond with whom he was on loan to from East Perth stopped off in Adelaide and interviewed for the West Adelaide job. Upon his returned to WA he left East Perth and was appointed Captain Coach of Claremont. Not happy with the problems that East Perth caused with his loan to Richmond he decided to play elsewhere. Same story with Graham Farmer when he left East Perth for Geelong. The Royals caused problems and hassles with the transfer so when he returned to WA after the 1967 VFL season he took over as Captain/Coach of West Perth leading them to premierships in 1969 & 71
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:27 pm

on the rails wrote:
Slots It Through wrote:
on the rails wrote:McGregor the only one to take the job at the pittance it was paying and on a one year deal only?

How much was it paying?

Surely it would be more than the reserves job at Norwood?

You would think but a former Sturt coach who is now an assistant at another club used to complain about how much he was not paid at Sturt as Senior Coach until he made enquiries re the Port job and hung up once he was told the $$$.

I'll have to go back to the drawing board as I was under the impression he was at the upper end of coaching salaries and that may have been partly what cost him the job. Am personally on record on here as saying I would have been happy for him to go on as Sturt coach.

Scott Lee at Glenelg but Cornesy and the panel thought he lived too far away.
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby Hazydog » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:50 pm

Pretty sure that Mick Malthouse got down to the final shortlist of 2 to coach Centrals, (around 1984 from memory), but was overlooked for Cowboy Neale who was awarded the job. (The Dynasty could have been fastracked by 15 years :lol: )
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby on the rails » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:12 pm

ORDoubleBlues wrote: Scott Lee at Glenelg but Cornesy and the panel thought he lived too far away.

Surely you jest? If that was a criteria for selecting a potentially successful coach then no wonder Glenelg are where they are presently at! So much for a professional / expert panel.
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby gossipgirl » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:00 am

on the rails wrote:
ORDoubleBlues wrote: Scott Lee at Glenelg but Cornesy and the panel thought he lived too far away.

Surely you jest? If that was a criteria for selecting a potentially successful coach then no wonder Glenelg are where they are presently at! So much for a professional / expert panel.

didnt you know that this site is only ever full of facts ;)
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1433 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby gossipgirl » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:01 am

Hazydog wrote:Pretty sure that Mick Malthouse got down to the final shortlist of 2 to coach Centrals, (around 1984 from memory), but was overlooked for Cowboy Neale who was awarded the job. (The Dynasty could have been fastracked by 15 years :lol: )

Linda Evans and Joan Collins say hello 8)
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1433 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Punk Rooster » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:58 pm

Hazydog wrote:Pretty sure that Mick Malthouse got down to the final shortlist of 2 to coach Centrals, (around 1984 from memory), but was overlooked for Cowboy Neale who was awarded the job. (The Dynasty could have been fastracked by 15 years :lol: )

I don't recall Footscray having a Dynasty...
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:56 pm

I may have misinterpreted gossipgirl but I know it's right because Cornesy admitted it on radio
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum