Most Players to kick 100+ in a season

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Most Players to kick 100+ in a season

Postby JK » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:40 am

Possibly a question for Spelly, and apologies if it's been done before ... But one of McAlmanac's posts referred to Trevor Pierson who kicked a ton for Woodville I think back in 82, a truly remarkable performance in a side which apparently won only the 1 game for the season, but what also came to mind is that I think both Tim Evans and Greg Edwards both managed the feat that same season (and iirc both Rick Davies and Rocky Roberts kicked 80-odd), a virtual plethora of goals for one season!

So my question is, does anyone know the highest tally of 100 goal scorers in the one season??
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby am Bays » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:05 am

Cue SpellCheck.......
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Re: Most Players to kick 100+ in a season

Postby Leaping Lindner » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:10 am

Constance_Perm wrote:Possibly a question for Spelly, and apologies if it's been done before ... But one of McAlmanac's posts referred to Trevor Pierson who kicked a ton for Woodville I think back in 82, a truly remarkable performance in a side which apparently won only the 1 game for the season, but what also came to mind is that I think both Tim Evans and Greg Edwards both managed the feat that same season (and iirc both Rick Davies and Rocky Roberts kicked 80-odd), a virtual plethora of goals for one season!

So my question is, does anyone know the highest tally of 100 goal scorers in the one season??

IIRC 1982 was the record (Evans, Edwards and Pierson) until 1983 when Davies, Roberts, Dietrich and Luders all topped the ton.
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby JK » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:15 am

Cheers LL, I'd forgotten about 83' ... A far cry from what we see these days huh, they were some crazy times back in the 80's!!
JK
Coach

Postby Leaping Lindner » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:23 am

Constance_Perm wrote:Cheers LL, I'd forgotten about 83' ... A far cry from what we see these days huh, they were some crazy times back in the 80's!!

A goalkicker's paradise no doubt. IIRC there was a photo in the paper (I think the News)in 82 of Evans, Edwards, Pierson, Davies and Roberts all lined up doing a kick. The article was something along the lines of what a goalkicking bonaza that was going on at the time. I seem to remember that Davies and Roberts didn't fall much short of the 100 that year. Also Roberts would have been the only one of those guys who wasn't playing "true" full forward IIRC. I seem to remember him as a Half Forward Flanker.
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby JK » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:56 am

Yeah he was back then mate, and was a very team oriented player and dished off many a time when he could have scored himself, Norwood back in the early 80's had a pretty regular penchant for playing the old resting ruckman near the square method, worked quite well though with a bloke like Rocky nearby... Gonna have to head down the vid store now and grab copies of the TWIW 82 and 83 just to relive the memories!! :)
JK
Coach

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum