"Laying" a bet

Best Bets? Talking Odds? This is the place.

"Laying" a bet

Postby valleys07 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:05 pm

Hey punters,

As a novice im trying to understand the benefit of "laying" a bet. I think i understand how it works mathematically but can't understand the benefit to a punter....or maybe im completely misunderstanding it!

In other words, what betting scenarios are best to use a "lay bet" and how can it be used to your advantage?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1174 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Re: "Laying" a bet

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:17 pm

go to betfair!

u can lay a selection to lock in a profit.

basically you become the bookie
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 12007 times
Been liked: 3667 times

Postby valleys07 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:33 pm

Ive had a look at betfair and found the option to lay a bet.

What im more so after is what situations should i be looking to lay bets, ie. AFL.....if two teams are locked at $1.91 each or if there is a raging favourite?
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:40 pm

it all depends on what you wish your liability to be.

i would keep all your options open.

with BETFAIR, you will find you can back a team and then lay it, or the other way around and make a profit no matter what
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 12007 times
Been liked: 3667 times

Postby valleys07 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:19 pm

Ok no worries.

Thanks for that MT.

valleys07
Coach

Postby G » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:35 pm

There's not much difference in head to head markets when laying a loser or backing the winner as the profit works out about the same.
Where the lay in Footy comes in handy is when you have taken say a 4 leg multi @ $3.50 and are alive coming into the last game and needing the $1.30 favourite to win, you can guarantee a profit or at least cover your bet by laying that team at $1.31 or whatever price is needed.

Obviously the LAY is a great option in Horse racing etc as you have the rest of the field working in your favour and likewise in a Golf tournament before they te off - Tiger might be $2.50 to win and you think hes a risk so you lay him and have the other 100 odd players working for you.
G
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby valleys07 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:11 pm

Thanks for the explanation G.

valleys07
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:43 pm

G wrote:There's not much difference in head to head markets when laying a loser or backing the winner as the profit works out about the same.
Where the lay in Footy comes in handy is when you have taken say a 4 leg multi @ $3.50 and are alive coming into the last game and needing the $1.30 favourite to win, you can guarantee a profit or at least cover your bet by laying that team at $1.31 or whatever price is needed.

Obviously the LAY is a great option in Horse racing etc as you have the rest of the field working in your favour and likewise in a Golf tournament before they te off - Tiger might be $2.50 to win and you think hes a risk so you lay him and have the other 100 odd players working for you.

Is it correct that the backers odds have to be matched by another punter?

valleys07
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:18 pm

valleys07 wrote:
G wrote:There's not much difference in head to head markets when laying a loser or backing the winner as the profit works out about the same.

Is it correct that the backers odds have to be matched by another punter?

Yep that's right
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby overloaded » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:37 pm

Im confused :?
therealROSSCO wrote:Now listen to this loud and clear.....

I have not been approached to coach at the WFC this year, next year or any year. I have not approached the WFC to coach this year, next year or any year. This is an unconditional statement.
overloaded
2009 Punting Comp Winner

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby mal » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:26 pm

Ive waited years for you to make an intelligent post !!!
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1184 times
Been liked: 933 times

Board index   General Talk  The Gambling Room