Re: 2023 AFL GF

Postby Trader » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:05 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Trader wrote:
MW wrote:Crowd 100,023

Close.
There were 100,024 in attendance.

There were more than that at the end
They opened the gates at the start of the last quarter.
The aisles were full around us

Normally this is people coming down from the top tiers to be near the fence come the lap of honour.
I don't think they open the gates up at 3/4 time like they used to.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:28 pm

Trader wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:
Trader wrote:

Close.

There were more than that at the end
They opened the gates at the start of the last quarter.
The aisles were full around us

Normally this is people coming down from the top tiers to be near the fence come the lap of honour.
I don't think they open the gates up at 3/4 time like they used to.

We were talking with two of them
They were watching outside and word got around it was open at 3/4 time
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Booney » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:30 pm

I'd be astounded in the modern world that they opened the gates up particularly with the demand from the Victorian public for tickets, the potential for disaster was far too high, surely.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:37 pm

2 AFL problems came out of that GF for me

Human nature is that we make mistakes - cut the umpires back to 3. 4 adds nothing

The AFL has to do something about ducking
Brisbane got a high free from it and Daicos' 1st goal was 50/50 (50/50 because he's so good at milking it it doesnt look like he's doing it)
But they stopped paying frees after 1/4 time. That also happened in another couple of games. Almost as if the umpires coach told them not to pay them

All day players were dropping their knees, or leaning towards the tackler with their head (when about to be) tackled.
Its a blight on the game and someone is going to get badly hurt
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:41 pm

Trader wrote:

Close.

Na, one bloke left before the start.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby Booney » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:44 pm

Frampton.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:43 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:2 AFL problems came out of that GF for me

Human nature is that we make mistakes - cut the umpires back to 3. 4 adds nothing

Brisbane got a high free from it and Daicos' 1st goal was 50/50 (50/50 because he's so good at milking it it doesnt look like he's doing it)
But they stopped paying frees after 1/4 time. That also happened in another couple of games. Almost as if the umpires coach told them not to pay them

All day players were dropping their knees, or leaning towards the tackler with their head (when about to be) tackled.

My guess is this is one of the biggest problems with the umpiring in regards to inconsistency. The umpires should have no contact with anyone else during a game. I bet in a minor round game the emergency umpire or an observer offers feedback at the breaks and this influences decision making for the rest of the game creating inconsistency. In finals im sure there is even more influential people offering advice.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:55 pm

daysofourlives wrote:

My guess is this is one of the biggest problems with the umpiring in regards to inconsistency. The umpires should have no contact with anyone else during a game. I bet in a minor round game the emergency umpire or an observer offers feedback at the breaks and this influences decision making for the rest of the game creating inconsistency. In finals im sure there is even more influential people offering advice.

They should be told not to pay ducking frees from the start

Its difficult because players have become experts at it but they have to start somewhere.
In the old days you got your block knocked off and off the ground star gazing
These days not only do you milk a free kick, the tackler gets a few games holiday as well
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:18 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:They should be told not to pay ducking frees from the start

Its difficult because players have become experts at it but they have to start somewhere.
These days not only do you milk a free kick, the tackler gets a few games holiday as well

Very difficult to police while umpiring, everyone calls for it every time you pay a high free kick.

Opposition players seem to think the ball getter can collect the ball from the ground in an upright position, a player must lower their shoulders and waist to pick the bail up, something that tacklers choose not to take into account when being pinged.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:33 pm

daysofourlives wrote:

There were no field emergencies appointed throughout the season only in the finals.

I noticed a lot of smart tacklers actually getting lower in the both the AFL and SANFL finals to avoid high contact and it actually helped them to roll the tackler to prevent the ball release.

There were some good non decision paid on Saturday where players through heads back but the umpires came in laughing saying "My ball please"

My point smart defenders are adjusting to adapt the scourge of knee drops and head leans.

How ever my basic premise as an umpire is to reward the bloke whose first to the footy (which is the aim of the game) and if that means they get the odd 50:50 high tackle so be it.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:40 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:They should be told not to pay ducking frees from the start

Very difficult to police while umpiring, everyone calls for it every time you pay a high free kick.

Opposition players seem to think the ball getter can collect the ball from the ground in an upright position, a player must lower their shoulders and waist to pick the bail up, something that tacklers choose not to take into account when being pinged.

Exactly, there's a difference between ducking (once a player has possession) as opposed to going lower and harder for the LBG or HBG. Coming up with it and then ducking the head that is automatically prior opportunity there fore all bets are off if you get tacked - your gone son. However in the process of getting the footy that is at worst no prior and a ball up or if tacked illegally - high/dangerous contact law 20.2.2 etc....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:44 pm

I think the one that’s get fans is when the player picks the ball up in the low position and the continues to move forward in that low position instigating the high contact. There was a couple of these in the gf where standing still tacklers throw an ‘arm out’ that made high contact.

As said though players move at fast speeds these days, and they cant go from a ball collecting position to upright immediately it’s going to take some forward movement and a few steps

I can’t imagine trying to be an umpire deciphering between a player staying low to induce high contact and a player who is still in that motion of getting back to an upright position

F**k being an umpire these days.
Last edited by whufc on Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby am Bays » Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:03 pm

whufc wrote:I think the one that’s get fans is when the player picks the ball up in the low position and the continues to move forward in that low position instigating the high contact. There was a couple of these in the gf where standing still tacklers out an ‘arm out’ that made high contact.

As said though players move at fast speeds these days, and they can go from a ball collecting position to upright immediately it’s going to take some forward movement and a few steps

I can’t imagine trying to be an umpire deciphering between a playing staying low to induce high contact and a player who is still in that motion of getting back to an upright position

Thats the crux of it it's a split second decision that needs t be made and as a sh!t umpire I go back to the preamble of the laws the players who is making the ball his objective shall be given every opportunity to do so

So if I'm going to make a mistake I'm going to make it on the side of the bloke who's first to the pill as opposed to the sheepdog who sweating off it.. ;)
am Bays
Coach

Postby mots02 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:06 pm

Booney wrote:Frampton.

He had the best seat in the house.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 881 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:22 pm

am Bays wrote:
whufc wrote:I think the one that’s get fans is when the player picks the ball up in the low position and the continues to move forward in that low position instigating the high contact. There was a couple of these in the gf where standing still tacklers out an ‘arm out’ that made high contact.

As said though players move at fast speeds these days, and they can go from a ball collecting position to upright immediately it’s going to take some forward movement and a few steps

I can’t imagine trying to be an umpire deciphering between a playing staying low to induce high contact and a player who is still in that motion of getting back to an upright position

Thats the crux of it it's a split second decision that needs t be made and as a sh!t umpire I go back to the preamble of the laws the players who is making the ball his objective shall be given every opportunity to do so

So if I'm going to make a mistake I'm going to make it on the side of the bloke who's first to the pill as opposed to the sheepdog who sweating off it.. ;)

I'm not talking about the player bending over to pick up the ball and continuing (within reason) bent over.
The defender has to learn to tackle them differently.

I'm talking specifically about the flop and/or dropping the head into the oncoming tackler.
Some are so blatant they deserve to have their head knocked off. Its what they are trying to achieve.

The player who has learnt how to lift the arms to push the tackle high is a more difficult one to judge.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:33 pm

Checkers tackle on Coleman was a great example of what everyone is saying.
The onus is on the tackler to not hit them high.
Checkers did it perfectly.
Then you have Mitchell and McInerney/ Gardner tackle, can't remember which Mitchell milked and got it.
Rather than an arm colliding with a neck/head it's now neck/head colliding with the arm. Players look for it at every opportunity.
If the person being tackled initiates high contact then play on.
Back in the day blokes were taught to duck the high tackles cause sometimes the opponent had every intention of hitting you high.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby RB » Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:45 pm

am Bays wrote:How ever my basic premise as an umpire is to reward the bloke whose first to the footy (which is the aim of the game) and if that means they get the odd 50:50 high tackle so be it.

This.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:50 pm

RB wrote:
am Bays wrote:How ever my basic premise as an umpire is to reward the bloke whose first to the footy (which is the aim of the game) and if that means they get the odd 50:50 high tackle so be it.

This.

I'm OK with that as well but what I am tlking about is:

Player takes the ball standing up
Defender runs in from the front or side
Player flops down 12 - 24 inches a split second before he is tackled or dives diagonally to headbutt his arm

**** that - play on
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:26 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
RB wrote:

This.

Player flops down 12 - 24 inches a split second before he is tackled or dives diagonally to headbutt his arm

**** that - play on

#&#&$ that - HTB :lol:
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11853 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:26 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:
RB wrote:

This.

**** that - play on

#&#&$ that - HTB :lol:

About the only way we’re going to purge this pestilence :twisted:
Jimmy_041
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL