Port Adelaide 2020

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2020

Postby MW » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:46 am

They had to go one more on Dixon really...the gap between 2 years and 4 he would be getting offered elsewhere is too great as a 30 year old to pass up.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:23 am

MW wrote:They had to go one more on Dixon really...the gap between 2 years and 4 he would be getting offered elsewhere is too great as a 30 year old to pass up.

Probably, but you're assuming Ricciuto knows what he's talking about and there's a body of work suggesting he doesn't. :D
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10782 times

Postby MW » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:28 am

I didn't say Brisbanes 4 year offer :lol: but no doubt someone would have given it to him
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:36 am

KANE CORNES: I would take Jared Polec back at Port Adelaide. If you could get North Melbourne to pay some of his wage. Port never wanted to lose him but the deal was too good for him to leave.

=))
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:36 am

PORT ADELAIDE midfielder Sam Powell-Pepper has agreed to terms on a contract extension which will see him remain at the club until the end of 2023.

Powell-Pepper has played all 14 games for the club in 2020, taking his career tally to 71.

Taken at pick 18 in the 2016 AFL National Draft, the 22-year-old is averaging 15 disposals, four tackles and three clearances this season, sharing his time between the midfield and forward line.

The East Perth product has agreed to terms on a three-year extension.

“It’s really exciting to be able to be part of the Port Adelaide Football Club and stay with this exciting group we’ve got,” Powell-Pepper said.

“The club has always supported me since I walked in the door in 2016 and I could not be happier to stay for at least another three years.

“The people here are like family and it feels like home. I can’t wait to see what we can achieve together this year and in the future.”

General Manager – Football, Chris Davies said the club was pleased to have Powell-Pepper recommit to the club.

“Sam has developed his consistency throughout this season and his hunt and pressure on the ball has become a real feature of his game,” he said.

“We have seen him mature both as a player and a person in recent years. Because he came straight into the team when he was drafted, we forget he is still just 22 years-old.

“We look forward to his continued growth over the next three seasons.”
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Spargo » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:31 am

Booney wrote:KANE CORNES: I would take Jared Polec back at Port Adelaide. If you could get North Melbourne to pay some of his wage. Port never wanted to lose him but the deal was too good for him to leave.

=))

Never say never. Remember Port had 3 years on the table for him before he chose to leave...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5126 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:41 am

Spargo wrote:
Booney wrote:KANE CORNES: I would take Jared Polec back at Port Adelaide. If you could get North Melbourne to pay some of his wage. Port never wanted to lose him but the deal was too good for him to leave.

=))

Never say never. Remember Port had 3 years on the table for him before he chose to leave...

Imagine, you blokes paying $400k per year so he could play for the Magpies.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:06 pm

Booney wrote:
Spargo wrote:

=))

Who?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3507 times

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:17 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:
Spargo wrote:

=))

Who?

You've tried trolling me twice on the subject, poor form.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:56 pm

You are making quite a few assumptions in your statement.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:05 pm

Dutchy wrote:You are making quite a few assumptions in your statement.

Quite confident I'm right on both fronts.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:22 pm

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:You are making quite a few assumptions in your statement.

Quite confident I'm right on both fronts.

That Polec will be playing at the Magpies in 2021? We agree then :) ;)
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby MW » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:31 pm

I get why Brisbane drafted him, so they were unaware, but how can Port and North both f..k this up?
You either get him in for his skill set (pace and hard running forward of the ball) and use that to your advantage or don't bother. Everyone knows he's mute on defence and goes to water under pressure.
Not everyone can be an inside ball winner.
I wouldn't be paying for what North will want for him $ wise but if you're a contender I'd have a look at him.
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:43 pm

Brisbane - Agreed, was an unknown.

Port - Thought we were getting a long term investment with the come home factor and relatively cheap. Gave up 14 and 39 for him ( and then a heap of rooting around with Brisbane and GWS that saw us end up with 21 somehow for Impey and 45 Mitch Harvey )

Clearly played the best footy of his career with us and then had an offer to good to refuse, but it's clear North and Polec both misread the North list. Would he have gone there if he felt they were about to hit rock bottom? ( 2nd rock bottom, Adelaide are rock bottom )

North - What a mistake on so many levels. Wanted the big fish, landed the wrong one, paid him way overs, for way too long and misread their list thinking some 26 year old tops ups would take them from 12th into the 8. Obviously Shaw didn't have any say in his recruitment.

*Edit*

For Port to look at him, no. Amon has become a consistent contributor, Duurmsa looks to have a long career ahead of him, Farrell has tasted AFL footy, Bonner ( no my favourite ) is getting towards 50 games and his development is going along, slowly but it's going along and we've yet to see our first pick from 2019 Miles Bergman. Woodock, Rozee, Butters, Amon, Duursma, Farrell can all play mid/fwd as Polec does.

We don't need Polec.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:18 pm

Booney wrote:Brisbane - Agreed, was an unknown.

Port - Thought we were getting a long term investment with the come home factor and relatively cheap. Gave up 14 and 39 for him ( and then a heap of rooting around with Brisbane and GWS that saw us end up with 21 somehow for Impey and 45 Mitch Harvey )

Clearly played the best footy of his career with us and then had an offer to good to refuse, but it's clear North and Polec both misread the North list. Would he have gone there if he felt they were about to hit rock bottom? ( 2nd rock bottom, Adelaide are rock bottom )

North - What a mistake on so many levels. Wanted the big fish, landed the wrong one, paid him way overs, for way too long and misread their list thinking some 26 year old tops ups would take them from 12th into the 8. Obviously Shaw didn't have any say in his recruitment.

*Edit*

For Port to look at him, no. Amon has become a consistent contributor, Duurmsa looks to have a long career ahead of him, Farrell has tasted AFL footy, Bonner ( no my favourite ) is getting towards 50 games and his development is going along, slowly but it's going along and we've yet to see our first pick from 2019 Miles Bergman. Woodock, Rozee, Butters, Amon, Duursma, Farrell can all play mid/fwd as Polec does.

We don't need Polec.

Can't knock his efforts last year, he kicked more goals than the previous few years and his numbers were only marginally down on the previous year.

He's obviously had a stoush with Shaw, I don't think he's useless or washed up yet.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby Spargo » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:35 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:Brisbane - Agreed, was an unknown.

*Edit*

We don't need Polec.

Can't knock his efforts last year, he kicked more goals than the previous few years and his numbers were only marginally down on the previous year.

He's obviously had a stoush with Shaw, I don't think he's useless or washed up yet.

And with Cunnington & Ziebell being out for pretty much the whole season the clearance ball is rarely being won & getting to the outside going forward.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5126 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:43 pm

Spargo wrote:And with Cunnington & Ziebell being out for pretty much the whole season the clearance ball is rarely being won & getting to the outside going forward.

3rd for clearances behind Geelong and Port.

Goldstein 4th, Simpkin 13th, Anderson 26th in the league.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:48 pm

Brad Scott brought him to the club, its clear Shaw doesn't see him in our long term plans unless he can change his defensive game. I'm glad he isnt getting a game, just cause he is one of our highest paid.

Paying say $400k for him to play elsewhere is a good result for all parties and sensible if it can be arranged. Its not like we are going to be using all of our cap over the next 3 years anyway.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby beef » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:50 pm

Booney wrote:
Spargo wrote:And with Cunnington & Ziebell being out for pretty much the whole season the clearance ball is rarely being won & getting to the outside going forward.

3rd for clearances behind Geelong and Port.

Goldstein 4th, Simpkin 13th, Anderson 26th in the league.

Difference between winning a clearance by a hack kick, compared to a clearance that you can get out to an outside runner. Numbers can be deceiving.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 255 times

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:56 pm

I don't see sides lining up to take him and if list sizes are cut and you get stuck with him it's $1.8m ( - salary cap % decrease ) of dead money.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL