AFL Finals Week 2. Your chance to bag the teams still in it

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL Finals Week 2. Your chance to bag the teams still in

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:48 pm

I'm looking forward to Toby Greene trying one of his karate kick marks on a Collingwood defender at the city end of the ground.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 449 times
Been liked: 1219 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby LMA » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:52 pm

Amazing in the AFL how you can protect your space/hold your ground with a boot to the head of your opponent but get penalised for holding your ground/protecting your space with open palms and minimal force to the back of your opponent
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Spargo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:22 pm

LMA wrote:Amazing in the AFL how you can protect your space/hold your ground with a boot to the head of your opponent but get penalised for holding your ground/protecting your space with open palms and minimal force to the back of your opponent

But you’re still allowed to to take a running jump and stick your boot, sometimes both, (studs up) into an opponent’s back in a marking contest.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5507 times
Been liked: 5141 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:34 pm

Spargo wrote:
LMA wrote:Amazing in the AFL how you can protect your space/hold your ground with a boot to the head of your opponent but get penalised for holding your ground/protecting your space with open palms and minimal force to the back of your opponent

But you’re still allowed to to take a running jump and stick your boot, sometimes both, (studs up) into an opponent’s back in a marking contest.

Exactly right Spargo, all these people saying that studs up should be banned will be the first to whinge when an over zealous umpire like Razor ray takes mark of the year off someone for studs up taking a hanger.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2424 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby LMA » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:20 am

daysofourlives wrote:
Spargo wrote:

Exactly right Spargo, all these people saying that studs up should be banned will be the first to whinge when an over zealous umpire like Razor ray takes mark of the year off someone for studs up taking a hanger.

Well you can blame a grub like Greene if that happens, because they will outlaw it. Bit different launching into a mark with pure athleticism than sticking you boot out to stop someone
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:35 am

LMA wrote:
Well you can blame a grub like Greene if that happens, because they will outlaw it. Bit different launching into a mark with pure athleticism than sticking you boot out to stop someone

Trademark Ross Gibbs.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7937 times

Postby JK » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:42 am

LMA wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
Spargo wrote:

Shouldn’t come to that, at worst maybe a rule tweak to make sure both feet are off the ground if you’re going to lift a leg or knee
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4464 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:37 am

Interesting they didn't make/take any stance on it at all.

For mine a fine on this one and make it known that "sprigs up" is not acceptable, but, that does complicate when taking a speccy McGee from behind a pack.....

PS - Stop calling them studs, please.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7511 times
Been liked: 10806 times

Postby Corona Man » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:41 am

Booney wrote:Interesting they didn't make/take any stance on it at all.

For mine a fine on this one and make it known that "sprigs up" is not acceptable, but, that does complicate when taking a speccy McGee from behind a pack.....

Is stops ok?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1280 times
Been liked: 3491 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby JK » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:45 am

Do we have to change ruck contests to “tip offs” too? Coz that’s where we’ll get to if we ban raised knees and/or legs. People across all forms of footy have copped sprigs in the legs, arms, head, back and guts for as long as the game can remember and it’s always been accepted as part of the game. See zero reason why that needs to change.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby cracka » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:55 am

JK wrote:Do we have to change ruck contests to “tip offs” too? Coz that’s where we’ll get to if we ban raised knees and/or legs. People across all forms of footy have copped sprigs in the legs, arms, head, back and guts for as long as the game can remember and it’s always been accepted as part of the game. See zero reason why that needs to change.

Accidental sprigging yes. Deliberate no.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby JK » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:13 am

cracka wrote:
JK wrote:Do we have to change ruck contests to “tip offs” too? Coz that’s where we’ll get to if we ban raised knees and/or legs. People across all forms of footy have copped sprigs in the legs, arms, head, back and guts for as long as the game can remember and it’s always been accepted as part of the game. See zero reason why that needs to change.

So what, every time a ruckman has used an opponent as a springboard, or any player has put a boot in the back attempting a high mark it’s accidental?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby cracka » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:59 am

JK wrote:
cracka wrote:

So what, every time a ruckman has used an opponent as a springboard, or any player has put a boot in the back attempting a high mark it’s accidental?

Ruckmen use their kness to get the height, not the bottom of their boots. Its generally the same when taking a mark. Its when one foot is grounded & you decide to kick out with your other foot & put the sprigs of your boot into someone's chest or face that I have a problem with.
cracka
Veteran

Postby JK » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:06 pm

I could live with a rule that stops a boot coming out while the other foot is grounded, but they need to be careful or it will eventually lead to drastic change in time.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby cracka » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:53 pm

JK wrote:I could live with a rule that stops a boot coming out while the other foot is grounded, but they need to be careful or it will eventually lead to drastic change in time.

Having been on the receiving end of those types of incidents, I agree.
The other one is when Greene got Dalhaus in the face.
cracka
Veteran

Postby bennymacca » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:58 pm

Booney wrote:Interesting they didn't make/take any stance on it at all.

Well they did take a stance - they said it should have been paid as a push because there were two actions.

That seems fair enough to me.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:06 pm

I just noticed there is only one person who has commented on this thread who's team is still playing finals (and they'll be knocked out this week). All the rest are us are the poor bastards who follow shit teams. I think is says a lot that people are bunging on about Toby Greene's sprigs instead of actually talking about the games and who has a good chance. That probably goes to show that none of us give a shit about the remaining teams. Quite sad really. I hate it when my team doesn't make it past the first week of finals. It's just not the same.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 321 times
Been liked: 894 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Corona Man » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:15 pm

Bum Crack wrote:I just noticed there is only one person who has commented on this thread who's team is still playing finals (and they'll be knocked out this week). All the rest are us are the poor bastards who follow shit teams. I think is says a lot that people are bunging on about Toby Greene's sprigs instead of actually talking about the games and who has a good chance. That probably goes to show that none of us give a shit about the remaining teams. Quite sad really. I hate it when my team doesn't make it past the first week of finals. It's just not the same.

Well spotted ;)
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1280 times
Been liked: 3491 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:25 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:I just noticed there is only one person who has commented on this thread who's team is still playing finals (and they'll be knocked out this week). All the rest are us are the poor bastards who follow shit teams. I think is says a lot that people are bunging on about Toby Greene's sprigs instead of actually talking about the games and who has a good chance. That probably goes to show that none of us give a shit about the remaining teams. Quite sad really. I hate it when my team doesn't make it past the first week of finals. It's just not the same.

Well spotted ;)

Daisy has commented too but I didn't want to acknowledge him ;)
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 321 times
Been liked: 894 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:28 pm

I think that's because we all expect Melbourne to beat Hawthorn so there's only one game to talk about and I reckon GWS win that one.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7511 times
Been liked: 10806 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL