GRAND FINAL- WEST COAST V HAWTHORN

Talk on the national game

Re: GRAND FINAL- WEST COAST V HAWTHORN

Postby therisingblues » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:20 pm

carey wrote:Yeah I only think this because of the likes of Steven Rowe and Andrew Jarman. :roll:

Please, Give me a break.

I'm just wondering how an idea that works fine in other sports could be "ridiculous" in your view.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:26 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Dog_ger2 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Wow you speak for all people .... You must be a ....

I dont speak for all people but the birthplace of Aussie rules is acknowledged as the parklands area on which the MCG is now standing.
Id define that as the spiritual home of football and im sure most others do to.
If you want to have a chip on your shoulder regarding Victorians you can.
Anyway YOUR club knew the rules when you came in to the comp, deal with it because it isnt changing anytime soon

In your opinion, what should the non Victorian club get as a reward for finishing top..?

Hey lets hear your view...

Hey mine is not right...

Top gets enough already.
2 home finals and an extra day off.
Probably the only thing they could do is change the finals structure but I dont mind the current format.
Ive heard suggestions of making the finals so that one of 1 or 2 are guaranteed a GF appearance, at the moment they are not. Freo for instance lost just once and were out. Not sure how with a final 8 it would work but 1v2 for direct access to the GF similar to the final 4 or 5 system?

But even in a final 5, one of the top 2 aren't guaranteed a spot in the GF, although it is very unlikely. 1991 is probably the only year I can remember.

Freo losing once is a problem with the current system.
3rd and 4th got to use their second chance, 1st and 2nd didn't, although they do the week off - is this is a fair compromise?
Also, at the moment, presuming all higher rank teams win, the top team gets the harder prelim, and would only be different if 2v3 loser also lost the second week. But if they make it the higher team plays the lower ranked semi-final winner, then most years one or both prelims will be a repeat of the first week's games. Is this a problem compared to maybe having a fairer system for the top team?
A fifth week of finals might allow for a different system, but not sure if that would be seriously considered[/quote]

FFS the top team got to play a home prelim final. They wernt good enough.
I cant be 100% sure but im pretty sure that the best team wins the Grand Final every year, feel free to inform us all when that hasnt been the case, so WTF are we talking about it for
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby therisingblues » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:28 pm

gossipgirl wrote:Mcg is home of footy to Victorians ..... But saying that if you are good enough it doesn't matter what ground you play on and realistically it will never move from the MCG

So if the Hawks were good enough they'd have won on Subiaco. They weren't though. They had to wait for the Eagles to come to their home ground.
Really you should say, if a team from outside Victoria is good they can win anywhere, but a Victorian club only needs to be good enough to win in its home state, and in some cases its home ground.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:33 pm

therisingblues wrote:
gossipgirl wrote:Mcg is home of footy to Victorians ..... But saying that if you are good enough it doesn't matter what ground you play on and realistically it will never move from the MCG

So if the Hawks were good enough they'd have won on Subiaco. They weren't though. They had to wait for the Eagles to come to their home ground.
Really you should say, if a team from outside Victoria is good they can win anywhere, but a Victorian club only needs to be good enough to win in its home state, and in some cases its home ground.

Still havnt answered the question of a Grand Final at metricon or GWS or Canberra or Tasmania or are you saying only the ADelaide, Perth, Swans and Lions teams can have a home grand final
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:42 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
gossipgirl wrote::shock:

I dont speak for all people but the birthplace of Aussie rules is acknowledged as the parklands area on which the MCG is now standing.
Anyway YOUR club knew the rules top you came in to the comp, deal with it because it isnt changing anytime soon

You wouldn't be Australian if you hadn't heard this one before
I don't agree that aussie rules was simply "born" though. It was developed over a number of years. Some important rule adaptations occurred right here in SA, the push in the back rule the most notable. The first league that is still being played was the SANFL.
To claim the AFL grandfinal must be played in Melbourne is to ignore the SA contribution to the game. There are 4 states that put their hearts and souls into aussie rules, and they've been disenfranchised by this home of football myth.
The Vics should not have ownership of the game.
We all own it.

so you think the sanfl grand final should be hosted at a suburban ground?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby therisingblues » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:45 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
therisingblues wrote:

Still havnt answered the question of a Grand Final at metricon or GWS or Canberra or Tasmania or are you saying only the ADelaide, Perth, Swans and Lions teams can have a home grand final

I think whoever earns the right, should host the final. So if the Giants earnt the right, I think homebush would be the sensible choice. If a Queensland team earnt it, then the largest stadium in Queensland should host it. This would be the equivalent of say, the bulldogs earning the right and then having to play on the MCG, which is in their home state but is not their home ground.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:47 pm

bennymacca wrote:
therisingblues wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Anyway YOUR club knew the rules top you came in to the comp, deal with it because it isnt changing anytime soon

I don't agree that aussie rules was simply "born" though. It was developed over a number of years. Some important rule adaptations occurred right here in SA, the push in the back rule the most notable. The first league that is still being played was the SANFL.
To claim the AFL grandfinal must be played in Melbourne is to ignore the SA contribution to the game. There are 4 states that put their hearts and souls into aussie rules, and they've been disenfranchised by this home of football myth.
We all own it.

so you think the sanfl grand final should be hosted at a suburban ground?

I'm saying either neutral ground or earn the right to host the grand final. SANFL grand finals are played on a neutral ground. It's a non issue IMO.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:08 pm

And when was the last time the best team didnt win the flag?

Interstate teams get 11 absolute home games during the season against an interstate team, thus increasing their chances of a higher finish. Victorian teams have more games that are home ground neutral during the season.

Anyway this bullshit is clogging up what the threads about
Greatest team of all.
WCE were just happy to be there, they played their GF the week before.
Hopefully at some point in the next year or two someone can give us a decent run in the last game of the year
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:27 pm

therisingblues wrote:

I'll ask again are you being serious or trolling?
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby gossipgirl » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:37 pm

daysofourlives wrote:And when was the last time the best team didnt win the flag?

Interstate teams get 11 absolute home games during the season against an interstate team, thus increasing their chances of a higher finish. Victorian teams have more games that are home ground neutral during the season.

Greatest team of all.
Hopefully at some point in the next year or two someone can give us a decent run in the last game of the year

There are 16 interstate teams ..... Victorians just can't count and Brisbane say hello :lol:
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1433 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby RB » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:39 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

We all own it.

Top post.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby therisingblues » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:08 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
therisingblues wrote:

I'll ask again are you being serious or trolling?

I've noticed you have such a high tolerance of opinions that differ to yours.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:22 pm

I am very tolerant to all opinions and individuals. Just thought you have been joking
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby therisingblues » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:30 pm

Okay, shooting very straight with this question.
Is there any advantage in playing a home grand final?
therisingblues
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:30 pm

gossipgirl wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:And when was the last time the best team didnt win the flag?

Greatest team of all.

There are 16 interstate teams ..... Victorians just can't count and Brisbane say hello :lol:

Lol your club plays in the rebranded VFL, they are a Victorian club based in SA!!!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5591 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby therisingblues » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:33 pm

Greatest team of all.

You say it's all bullshit then say hawthorn are the greatest ever.
We aren't allowed to discuss any mitigating factors?
therisingblues
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:42 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:But even in a final 5, one of the top 2 aren't guaranteed a spot in the GF, although it is very unlikely. 1991 is probably the only year I can remember.

Freo losing once is a problem with the current system.
3rd and 4th got to use their second chance, 1st and 2nd didn't, although they do the week off - is this is a fair compromise?
Also, at the moment, presuming all higher rank teams win, the top team gets the harder prelim, and would only be different if 2v3 loser also lost the second week. But if they make it the higher team plays the lower ranked semi-final winner, then most years one or both prelims will be a repeat of the first week's games. Is this a problem compared to maybe having a fairer system for the top team?
A fifth week of finals might allow for a different system, but not sure if that would be seriously considered

FFS the top team got to play a home prelim final. They wernt good enough.
I cant be 100% sure but im pretty sure that the best team wins the Grand Final every year, feel free to inform us all when that hasnt been the case, so WTF are we talking about it for

It's not a Hawthorn or Freo thing, FWIW I'm glad Hawthorn knocked off both the WA teams.

It's a theoretical discussion that's been had on here before about a relative-good-but-not-perfect finals system that would still be the case even if all the teams were from one city. It is worse if the 2nd team loses the first week and the 1st team then has to play the 2nd in the prelim, through circumstances beyond their control even though they haven't done anything wrong.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:46 pm

Ok then lets just have 1st play 3rd and 2nd play 4th in the 1st week, that fixes everything
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:48 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

We all own it.

Agree with the general thrust* of your post trb, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the AFL GF should not be at the MCG. The bigger issue is the general lack of respect and disdain for the contribution and traditions of the other states.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:51 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Ok then lets just have 1st play 3rd and 2nd play 4th in the 1st week, that fixes everything

Still wouldn't be perfect, but better IMO.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL