Round 3

Talk on the national game

Round 3

Postby Booney » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:32 am

Round 3 and all the talk suggests finals are just around the corner, well, for Adelaide in Adelaide at least it is.

Friday night Collingwood and the Sainters kick the weekend off, what, no room for Carlton? Collingwood went down to the much improved Adelaide last week, while St Kilda went up to the Goldy and like a storm brewing over the Ippy hinterland, put a dark cloud over the Coast and the Suns didn’t have a chance to shine. I didn’t see St.Kilda winning many, if any this year and a Suns outfit bereft of players willing to work hard gave the Saints 4 points to take with them through 2015.It might be their only points. I’m not sure who to pick here, I think the Pies are the better unit, they aren’t hot, but they should beat the plucky Sainters. Pies by Four’n’Twenty. 4 goals.

Saturday at the G and Carlton take on the Not Guilty players. After looking like they were out on their feet, the Not Guilty players somehow managed to pluck up enough run to finish over the top of the Hawks. The Not Guilty players have a very sound back half, with Hooker, Carlisle and Hurley pumped up and looking as sharp as needles. Carlton with nobody left to kick goals and nobody interested in going there, according to Mick, are on a hiding to nothing against a side who might do some damage at the pointy end of the season, but then again, they may run out of juice when things really get going. Not Guilty players, easily.

The Demons come to Adelaide looking to repeat last year’s massive upset and beat the Crowies on the Adelaide Oval. It won’t happen this time around. Adelaide are looking extremely dangerous up forward, have one of the best midfields in the game and their defence won’t have much to do in this one. With a 1:40 kick off, I hope those AFC folks take a hat to keep the sun off. They might want to sunscreen the roof of their mouth, they’ll be looking up at the scoreboard plenty as it tick’s over in their favour. Melbourne were given a spanking in Canberra last week, it’s legal there. Adelaide by......lots.

The great Sydney take on Greater Sydney in a derby, battle of the bridge, showdown thingy. The Giants went to work on Melbourne, in Canberra, proving someone there does work from time to time. 13 goals to nothing in one stretch and the Giants win 2 on the trot. They’re building nicely and the 368 members they have are loving it. This one will be a bigger, if not the biggest test they face early in 2015, yes, bigger then St.Kilda and Melbourne. You read it first here, folks. They beat the Swans in the corresponding match last year, it won’t happen again this year. The Swans smashed Port in the clinches last week and I’d imagine boring Johnny Longmire would be setting that as the standard for the year. Sydney, the nice one, by 28 points.

Saturday night under the roof Port are nearly at season on the line stage, with Hawthorn and Adelaide to follow, 0-3 would be a disaster and who do we have, our bogey side. North were rubbish through 02/3/4/5 and still had Port in a squirrel grip for 5 years....we just couldn’t beat them. Goldstein is the first hurdle,not an easy one to jump, Harvey is the next, easier to jump but harder to stop. We don’t now and have never had anyone to quell Harvey’s influence on our games. Not many sides do. Our best stopper, Kane Cornes, has never had the turn of speed to negate Boomer. Lobbe is in doubt, Redden is underdone and Ryder/Westhoff/Schulz are yet to find some balance. Port lost this one last year and the Roos got some form back against the hapless Bears last week. Cripes....I just don’t know. I’ll keep backing my lads in though and expect a much more brutal effort around stoppages this week. Port....just, please.

This week has a classic “who cares” match up, the Bears and 9th. The Bears get riddled by injury every year (is it the harder ground they play on most weeks?) while 9th continue to frustrate their army of fans. Seriously, if I supported 9th I’d give footy away, even change clubs, the ridicule of doing that would be easier to wear than barracking for them. Or, just say, “I don’t follow the footy”, which, really means “I barrack for Richmond” so no point using that. The Bears are in for a long, long year. They’ve got a developing midfield but struggle in the big man department. Meanwhile Richmond have one of the best key defenders in the game setting up their back half, Alex Rance. Richmond to set themselves up for a spot just out the 8....Tigers by 32.

The Hawks suffered the most minor of hiccups on the weekend, dropping their guard for the last 5 minutes as Hirdys Hero’s ran over the top of the Hawks by less than a major. That will have the Hawks smarting. On the other side of the coin the Doggies have got a midfield full of talented youngsters and a “youngish” coach who looks like a surfer, talks like a drunk yet somehow brokered ( away from football ) a deal with the ATO and big business that has been used as a blueprint around the world. Anywho, while the young Pups from Footscray look to have a bright future, this week looks bleak for them, facing the Hawks after a rare loss. I think this will be very entertaining, Hawthorn might get Mitchell and Gibson back, but they’ve lost the bloke who jumped off a sinking ship, courageous, Frawley. He’s ripped a pec, ouch, but he can at least sit back while his team wins with him on the sidelines. Hawks by 44.

Geelong host the Suns, not often you hear Geelong and sun in the one breath. The Suns, sans GAblett who is out “indefinitely” with his bung wing head to Sleepy Hollow to take on the rapidly slowing Catters machine. The Cats still have some real class, but their second tier players along with their coach are being questioned while their big blokes up front, a bit like Port, get used to each other. Rocket Eade will be teaching the young Sunny boys what a good ol’ bake is and it’s not something Mum does on a rainy Sunday either. He’d have given them both barrels after the loss to the Saints. But, with the smart old Cats licking their wounds after 2 losses I expect the boys from the coast, the sunny one of the two here, to be 0-3 and Eade would be thinking “Why am I doing this again?”. While Bluey McKenna sits back thinking “Good luck with that”. Steve Motlop will not be appearing at any local for happy hour this Friday night, he will not be spinning the wheel at the First Commercial Chook Raffle. He’ll be home in bed, with a scotch and dry, being a good boy. Hey, you said I couldn’t drink beer! Catters by 21.

Meanwhile in 1973, I mean Perth, the Weagles take on the Dockers in the Derby/derby ( I hope you pronounced them differently ). Last week Josh Kennedy nearly beat Carlton thanks to his midfield and the Dockers went and beat up the Cats in Geelong. Ballantyne couldn’t get near Steve J to exchange monosyllabic words so he belted Harry instead. I think the Fremantle form line reads better, so does their forward line, so does their defence and so does their midfield. West Coast might have won big, but against Carlton.....Carlton.So take nothing away from that other than 4 points and the weekend off. Fremantle have added something to their game, kicking goals! Fremantle by 28 points. Do they still use Burleys over there?

Take this for what it’s worth. Last week’s preview was worth 4 winners......
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7485 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Re: Round 3

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:18 am

I take this as gospel
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11837 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby JK » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:27 am

Looks a pretty straight forward round, best underdog possibilities appear to be Saints, Roos, Lions, West Coast .. Now watch one of the other 6 roughies stuff everyone's tips lol
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby RoosterMan » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:06 am

Love the preview, Booney. Very well done mate. :-BD
RoosterMan
Rookie

Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury West

Postby Jim05 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:12 am

JK wrote:Looks a pretty straight forward round, best underdog possibilities appear to be Saints, Roos, Lions, West Coast .. Now watch one of the other 6 roughies stuff everyone's tips lol

Essendon v Carlton are always 50/50 regardless of form and ladder position.
We should be too strong for them but you never know
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Spargo » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:26 am

Collingwood - just, the Saints may still be hungover from last week.
Essendon - whilst these clashes have thrown up numerous upsets, this week won't be one. Carlton are woeful.
Adelaide - premiership t-shirt pre orders will increase again after they touch up* the Dees.
Sydney - back to their best last week. Their "half best" still beats GWS.
North - we didn't turn up round 1, our opponents didn't last week - hard to get a gauge. Port are copping it from everywhere, players underdone getting games, fit players being rested. Denial is not necessarily that river running through Egypt. Roos to win it with a kick after the siren.
Richmond - that's all I have for this game.
Hawthorn - won't lose 2 in a row, the plucky Dogs to get within 6 goals.
Geelong - surely? The Suns currently couldn't beat sleep.
Freo - will belt up the Eagles and add a little value to those still alive with their multis come Sunday arvo.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5474 times
Been liked: 5116 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby valleys07 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:43 am

Collingwood
Essendon
Adelaide
Sydney
Port Adelaide
Richmond
Hawthorn
Geelong
Fremantle
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby bennymacca » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:44 pm

liking the new crop of budding SAFooty journalists, makes a nice change from the trolling idiots.

if only you weren't all port supporters :D

good job boys.

reckon this is a pretty straightforward round except for the port north game.

Port just have to win this one. Not having Lobbe to go up against Goldy is huge though, and could be the difference, but i am tipping port to be a little more desperate to get their season up and running
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:09 pm

Carlton by 18 goals....

Oh, sorry that should've been Carlton (to be beaten) by 18 goals....
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:12 pm

Jim05 wrote:
JK wrote:Looks a pretty straight forward round, best underdog possibilities appear to be Saints, Roos, Lions, West Coast .. Now watch one of the other 6 roughies stuff everyone's tips lol

Essendon v Carlton are always 50/50 regardless of form and ladder position.
We should be too strong for them but you never know

Jim.... seriously.....
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby BZB27 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:25 pm

Little bit of late mail has Riewoldt out and Mccartin and and Adams out and Karnezis in
BZB27
League - Best 21

Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 173 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:18 pm

Magpies
Bombers
Crows
Swans
Power
Tigers
Hawks
Cats
Dockers
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10328 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby RustyCage » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:47 pm

Two late outs tonight, Adams for Collingwood, and St Nick
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Spargo » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:50 pm

That is not a mark to Elliott - they shouldn't get paid for a good effort.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5474 times
Been liked: 5116 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Q. » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:00 pm

Love Broomhead's work. Shame about the rest of his teammates.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Q. » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:05 pm

Cloke gets his first free kick in two years and misses a sitter.
Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:12 pm

Varcoe bitch slaps Savage.
Q.
Coach

Postby RustyCage » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:18 pm

This will be all over by half time. Collingwood have stepped up and the Saints can't go with them
RustyCage

Postby Coach Bombay » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:52 pm

McCartin is getting a mcCarting. Either that or he's been on the bench the whole game. 0 touches.
The death penalty can never be excused as it allows a state a means by which it can pick and choose who is fit to live and who isnt
Coach Bombay
League - Top 5

Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 142 times

Postby RustyCage » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:13 pm

Cloke you spud
RustyCage

Next