Crows 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Crows 2015

Postby Ron Burgundy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:53 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:I reckon lynch goes alright in general, but I do agree, he and Jenkins have been well below their best.

Tex also needs to find a way to get himself into the contest when he is well held. Even if that means playing well up the ground for a while.

I think Tex should put himself into the centre square and make a physical impact for a few minutes if things are starting to fall apart

Disagree, centre square isn't the issue.

Hitouts won: 48-29
Clearances won: 43-34
Contested Possies very close 142-143
Ron Burgundy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:29 pm

Put him at CHB then
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11868 times
Been liked: 3605 times

Postby TEX07 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:33 pm

We were simply beaten up all day - poor foot skills, but this was a lot to do with the pressure the Bulldogs put us under. All of our better players played horrible game on the same day. Even when we didnt have pressure we missed targets. Walker had a smelly game but his service in was smellier!

The Bulldogs are so full of run - they play Port here in a month or so - if both play the way they did on the weekend it could be a cracking game - would not have thought this when I was allocated to take customers to it at the start of the year!
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Coach Bombay » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:36 pm

id move on wright and maybe VB in the next month or so. Time to get serious with the Crouch brothers.
The death penalty can never be excused as it allows a state a means by which it can pick and choose who is fit to live and who isnt
Coach Bombay
League - Top 5

Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 142 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:47 pm

Coach Bombay wrote:id move on wright and maybe VB in the next month or so. Time to get serious with the Crouch brothers.

Brad offers plenty, Matt is a plodder, looks like he's running on a treadmill. Legs are going, but he isn't moving.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7501 times
Been liked: 10795 times

Postby Footy Smart » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:56 pm

Booney wrote:
Coach Bombay wrote:id move on wright and maybe VB in the next month or so. Time to get serious with the Crouch brothers.

Brad offers plenty, Matt is a plodder, looks like he's running on a treadmill. Legs are going, but he isn't moving.

I think Matt will still offer a bit at AFL level. He is more inside than out, which with Thomo in the side he isnt needed. I think Matt offers much more than Lyons

And Brad needs to get his body right. Poor lad has had a bad trott
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby MW » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:07 pm

Brad yes as soon as he is fit. Thommo is keeping Matt out. Can't have both in IMO
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2617 times
Been liked: 1855 times

Postby Zorro » Fri May 01, 2015 1:41 pm

Does anyone else think the Crows are way too short in defense for the Showdown this week? Hartigan deserved to get dropped but all I see are mismatches.

40/60 chance initially based on form and results last week but with Ryder playing forward with Schulz and Westhoff this could get ugly.
The Cocks Will Rise Again
Zorro
Under 18s

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 52 times

Postby hawks21 » Fri May 01, 2015 2:31 pm

Zorro wrote:Does anyone else think the Crows are way too short in defense for the Showdown this week? Hartigan deserved to get dropped but all I see are mismatches.

40/60 chance initially based on form and results last week but with Ryder playing forward with Schulz and Westhoff this could get ugly.

Its all about "team defence' these days. Walsh will be hoping the spare man in defence will help no doubt.
Have Port played all the tall at once this year at the same time? Even last week i think 1 was off or Westoff pushed right up the ground.

How big is the midfield battle, will decide the game IMO.
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby valleys07 » Fri May 01, 2015 2:48 pm

Zorro wrote:Does anyone else think the Crows are way too short in defense for the Showdown this week? Hartigan deserved to get dropped but all I see are mismatches.

I don't agree with this, at all. For a side that is ahead of Port Adelaide so far this season in differentials for contested possession, tackles and clearances (where the game was lost for the Crows last week, but clearly won for the previous 3)- get on top in this area, and Port Adelaide's forward set up is rendered useless as it will halt Port's ball movement into the forward 50, allowing Adelaide to push numbers back and force the long bomb in.

Walsh will implement a high ground press to counter Port's quick ball movement, possibly even starting with a 7 man backline. Its up to Hinkley to counter this, either by sending Westhoff back, or pushing Gray and/or Wingard further up the ground in the hope of either impacting the scoreboard over the back.

This contest isn't as in favour of Port as the pundits might suggest.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Killa » Fri May 01, 2015 3:01 pm

I think in a couple weeks I reckon Lever will play his first game. Maybe after the break, which allows him to get more match time before he takes the step up!
Killa
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: South Augusta

Postby JK » Fri May 01, 2015 3:06 pm

valleys07 wrote:

I don't agree with this, at all. For a side that is ahead of Port Adelaide so far this season in differentials for contested possession, tackles and clearances (where the game was lost for the Crows last week, but clearly won for the previous 3)- get on top in this area, and Port Adelaide's forward set up is rendered useless as it will halt Port's ball movement into the forward 50, allowing Adelaide to push numbers back and force the long bomb in.

Walsh will implement a high ground press to counter Port's quick ball movement, possibly even starting with a 7 man backline. Its up to Hinkley to counter this, either by sending Westhoff back, or pushing Gray and/or Wingard further up the ground in the hope of either impacting the scoreboard over the back.

Without knowing the stats, I'd imagine Hawthorn, Sydney and Freo are better in those area's than Collingwood, Melbourne and the Bulldogs? Port have certainly had an extreme draw to start the season, but probably holds them in good stead now. Think the Crows will respond from last week's poor effort, but hard to see it being enough.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4462 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby valleys07 » Fri May 01, 2015 3:29 pm

JK wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

Without knowing the stats, I'd imagine Hawthorn, Sydney and Freo are better in those area's than Collingwood, Melbourne and the Bulldogs? Port have certainly had an extreme draw to start the season, but probably holds them in good stead now. Think the Crows will respond from last week's poor effort, but hard to see it being enough.

Dogs and Melbourne are top 3 for tackles and Collingwood are ranked #1 for contested possession. It hasn't been as easy for Adelaide as the scoreline has made it out to be- Adelaide have just been very good in the aforementioned stats.

They dismantled us in showdown 37 last year with ferocious attack on the man and the ball, where as we gave them a pasting in showdown 36 when allowed time and space to exploit them on the outside.

Contested footy and tackles will decide this game.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Crows 2015

Postby bennymacca » Fri May 01, 2015 3:53 pm

Good discussion lads.

I am pretty worried about this. Kelly will have to stand one of westhoff or Ryder and Cheney the other.

You can bet if the weather is fine all three of them (with Schulz) play deep forward at least some of the time.

As valleys correctly points out, if we get our press right it then forces the hoff up the ground to go back and help out, and to be that link man. In those roles I think Cheney and kelly can go with him, but if the ball comes in quickly and they get into a one out situation we are in trouble
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby bennymacca » Fri May 01, 2015 3:54 pm

Reckon this is the game of the round though. Having to wait till Sunday night is criminal!
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Fri May 01, 2015 3:57 pm

The key to Ports forward half will be dragging Talia out of his defensive 50 as often as possible.

Get Ryder/Schulz/Westhoff alone with Cheney/Kelly without Talia there and it's trouble for Adelaide.

Adelaide must have some real faith in Cheney, two weeks out with a hammy and he'll have Schulz and Westhoff to follow up to the wing and back.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri May 01, 2015 3:58 pm

bennymacca wrote:Reckon this is the game of the round though. Having to wait till Sunday night is criminal!

It's a stinking time for a home match, an excellent time if you're playing away in Melbourne. Have the weekend hassle free and come 4pm Sunday sit down to watch your team.

This one will rate through the roof for Foxtel in Victoria and WA.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Fri May 01, 2015 4:03 pm

bennymacca wrote:Good discussion lads.

I am pretty worried about this. Kelly will have to stand one of westhoff or Ryder and Cheney the other.

You can bet if the weather is fine all three of them (with Schulz) play deep forward at least some of the time.

As valleys correctly points out, if we get our press right it then forces the hoff up the ground to go back and help out, and to be that link man. In those roles I think Cheney and kelly can go with him, but if the ball comes in quickly and they get into a one out situation we are in trouble

Correct weight Benny. It forces Hinkey's hand to send Westhoff back to sit in front of Walker/Jenkins. The extra man in defence to counter the 3 talls will almost certainly be in favour of Adelaide, as the contest will 8 times out of 10, result in ground balls where Smith, Jaensch and co. will rebound with ease. Get Walker one out on quick transition and Bobby Carlisle has no hope- was only so good on Roughead last week through brilliant team defence upfield, allowing Hombsch in as the intercept on occasions where Roughy looked to have Bob beaten.

Ryder becomes so crucial to this next part. Get on top of Jacobs and restrict the influence of Thompson, Danger and Sloane by giving Boak, Gray, Ebert, Hartlett, Wingard and co. first bite- and then you have the 3 pillars looking dangerous. The crows simply wont have the options to counter all 3 one out.

Will be an absolute belter this one.

valleys07
Coach

Postby Ron Burgundy » Fri May 01, 2015 4:09 pm

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Reckon this is the game of the round though. Having to wait till Sunday night is criminal!

It's a stinking time for a home match, an excellent time if you're playing away in Melbourne. Have the weekend hassle free and come 4pm Sunday sit down to watch your team.

This one will rate through the roof for Foxtel in Victoria and WA.

Its a stinking time for a supporter that travels from the country to go to the match.

But looking forward to it. The challenge. A few pints by half time and then having the self control to stop...
Ron Burgundy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Booney » Fri May 01, 2015 4:14 pm

valleys07 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Good discussion lads.

Correct weight Benny. It forces Hinkey's hand to send Westhoff back to sit in front of Walker/Jenkins. The extra man in defence to counter the 3 talls will almost certainly be in favour of Adelaide, as the contest will 8 times out of 10, result in ground balls where Smith, Jaensch and co. will rebound with ease. Get Walker one out on quick transition and Bobby Carlisle has no hope- was only so good on Roughead last week through brilliant team defence upfield, allowing Hombsch in as the intercept on occasions where Roughy looked to have Bob beaten.

Ryder becomes so crucial to this next part. Get on top of Jacobs and restrict the influence of Thompson, Danger and Sloane by giving Boak, Gray, Ebert, Hartlett, Wingard and co. first bite- and then you have the 3 pillars looking dangerous. The crows simply wont have the options to counter all 3 one out.

Will be an absolute belter this one.

Carlile to play the third man up role I think. He's in good nick reading the play and using it pretty well. Trengove is building, but I think his primary role at the moment is shut down, no extra work in the air for him just yet, I don't think his shoulder is truly 100%.

Trengove > Jenkins, Hombsch > Lynch, Jonas > Walker with Hombsch and Jonas capable of taking either.

Krakouer and Betts should be an interesting one too.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL