Essendon

Talk on the national game

Re: Essendon 2014

Postby stan » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:15 pm

lebron wrote:
Booney wrote:When clubs at all levels build a "culture" with talk about being selfless, showing yourself and your team mates respect, knowing when "it's your turn to go", leaving your ego at the door for the betterment of all etc etc it's pretty ******* rich to think Hird could come back and coach at AFL level, any level, for that matter.

Bit rich to make strong comments when no one is 100% sure of the goings on behind closed doors. The info we get is driven from media outlets with agendas. If the info went to a pro-Essendon reporter early on as opposed to Caroline Wilson, Hird/the Club may have been painted in a different light. It's all about agendas folks!

Why does Caro hate Essendon so much? Serious question folks, anyone know the answer to this.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Jim05 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:24 pm

stan wrote:Why does Caro hate Essendon so much? Serious question folks, anyone know the answer to this.

Number of reasons. Essendon and Richmond were hated rivals were her old man was President of Richmond.
She really started the vendetta though when one of her best friends was sacked by us. Bev Knight was a former board member who was caught leaking club info to Wilson and was shown the door. And then to cap it off her good friend Matthew Knights was sacked as coach and Hird brought in, from that day on her venom for Hird grew and even before this latest saga she has had it in for him
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby stan » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:33 pm

Jim05 wrote:
stan wrote:Why does Caro hate Essendon so much? Serious question folks, anyone know the answer to this.

Number of reasons. Essendon and Richmond were hated rivals were her old man was President of Richmond.
She really started the vendetta though when one of her best friends was sacked by us. Bev Knight was a former board member who was caught leaking club info to Wilson and was shown the door. And then to cap it off her good friend Matthew Knights was sacked as coach and Hird brought in, from that day on her venom for Hird grew and even before this latest saga she has had it in for him

Thanks Jim, I didnt know half of that.
stan
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:42 pm

stan wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Thanks Jim, I didnt know half of that.

She holds a grudge well.
She had a tiff with Malthouse about 30 years ago and still hasnt got over it
Jim05
Coach

Postby dedja » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:07 pm

He didn't give her a military boot when she wanted one?
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 186 times
Been liked: 998 times

Postby stan » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:27 pm

dedja wrote:He didn't give her a military boot when she wanted one?

I did think at some point he turned her down an you know a women scorned, but Jim has a few items there that seem more reasonable.
stan
Coach

Postby JK » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:29 pm

The Bombers have Robbo in their corner so it evens out ;)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4462 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Jim05 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:32 pm

JK wrote:The Bombers have Robbo in their corner so it evens out ;)

Evens up the ugly stakes thats for sure
Jim05
Coach

Essendon 2014

Postby Jim05 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:19 am

Sad news, genuinely nice bloke
http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria ... 7027467191

FOOTY legend Neale Daniher has revealed his battle with deadly motor neurone disease and plans to dedicate what remains of his life educating the public about the condition.
The former Essendon champion and Melbourne coach has vowed to tackle the cruel and ­incurable disease with the same courage and determination that defined his football career.
Speaking publicly for the first time to friend and ­former Bombers teammate Tim Watson in an interview to air on Seven News on Monday night, Daniher delivered a blunt ­assessment of the disease ­slowly killing him.
“There’s no prevention. No treatment. No cure,’’ he said.
Daniher, 53, first recognised a problem when he had trouble hanging washing on the line and was diagnosed last year after nine months of tests.
“I thought, well I’ve got a weakness in my hands and I’ll fix it,’’ he said in the Channel 7 interview.
“Modern science. A few ­injections. A few tablets. Nothing serious. I’ll be back putting clothes on the line again.”
But his life was turned ­upside down when told he had a disease that leads to a slow, gradual death.
“I didn’t know a lot about it, but I knew you didn’t want to get it,’’ he said.
Daniher announced last September he would stand down as West Coast Eagles football operations boss due to health reasons but has until now kept his condition private.
He will quit football and move his family back to ­Melbourne to start work on a public campaign to raise awareness of the disease, ­recruiting AFL stars to help spread the message.
“A tragedy of the disease is you’re a witness to your body dying,’’ he said.
“But every 12 hours someone gets MND in Australia, and every 12 hours someone dies. It’s an anonymous killer. Not many people know about it.”
Daniher, who coached Melbourne to the 2000 AFL Grand Final and played 82 games for Essendon in a career cut short by injury, will also focus on fundraising for research.
“We need to find some treatment, prevention and a cure,’’ he said.
About two Australians die a day from the disease, which progressively robs sufferers of the use of arms, legs and ability to speak, swallow and breathe but normally does not affect their mind and senses.
Daniher has started slurring his words and has difficulty with his hands but is still physically active and said a positive approach was essential.
“You don’t cope by fear. You just day-by-day exist,’’ he said. “You just get on with life and enjoy life and there’s a lot to enjoy.
“And you don’t cope by thinking where this will end up? There’s no fun in that. You don’t get many laughs in that.”
The average life expectancy after diagnosis is 27 months but, in true fighting spirit, ­Daniher said he would play the game on his own terms.
“It’s important that people who’ve heard the diagnosis know that, on average, it’s two to four years to live but I might bump that up a little bit,’’ he said.
Jim05
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:55 pm

Jim05 wrote:Sad news, genuinely nice bloke
http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria ... 7027467191

FOOTY legend Neale Daniher has revealed his battle with deadly motor neurone disease and plans to dedicate what remains of his life educating the public about the condition.
The former Essendon champion and Melbourne coach has vowed to tackle the cruel and ­incurable disease with the same courage and determination that defined his football career.
Speaking publicly for the first time to friend and ­former Bombers teammate Tim Watson in an interview to air on Seven News on Monday night, Daniher delivered a blunt ­assessment of the disease ­slowly killing him.
“There’s no prevention. No treatment. No cure,’’ he said.
Daniher, 53, first recognised a problem when he had trouble hanging washing on the line and was diagnosed last year after nine months of tests.
“I thought, well I’ve got a weakness in my hands and I’ll fix it,’’ he said in the Channel 7 interview.
“Modern science. A few ­injections. A few tablets. Nothing serious. I’ll be back putting clothes on the line again.”
But his life was turned ­upside down when told he had a disease that leads to a slow, gradual death.
“I didn’t know a lot about it, but I knew you didn’t want to get it,’’ he said.
Daniher announced last September he would stand down as West Coast Eagles football operations boss due to health reasons but has until now kept his condition private.
He will quit football and move his family back to ­Melbourne to start work on a public campaign to raise awareness of the disease, ­recruiting AFL stars to help spread the message.
“A tragedy of the disease is you’re a witness to your body dying,’’ he said.
“But every 12 hours someone gets MND in Australia, and every 12 hours someone dies. It’s an anonymous killer. Not many people know about it.”
Daniher, who coached Melbourne to the 2000 AFL Grand Final and played 82 games for Essendon in a career cut short by injury, will also focus on fundraising for research.
“We need to find some treatment, prevention and a cure,’’ he said.
About two Australians die a day from the disease, which progressively robs sufferers of the use of arms, legs and ability to speak, swallow and breathe but normally does not affect their mind and senses.
Daniher has started slurring his words and has difficulty with his hands but is still physically active and said a positive approach was essential.
“You don’t cope by fear. You just day-by-day exist,’’ he said. “You just get on with life and enjoy life and there’s a lot to enjoy.
“And you don’t cope by thinking where this will end up? There’s no fun in that. You don’t get many laughs in that.”
The average life expectancy after diagnosis is 27 months but, in true fighting spirit, ­Daniher said he would play the game on his own terms.
“It’s important that people who’ve heard the diagnosis know that, on average, it’s two to four years to live but I might bump that up a little bit,’’ he said.

Awful news.....shit disease! A great friend of mine suffered with it for 10 years, then sadly passed away not long ago. She was given 3 years but lasted 10.
A relative had it and she passed away in 18 months.
Hopefully he can get the most out of life while he can.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 502 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby valleys07 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:18 pm

Horrible news.

A great attitude though- and fingers crossed one day science can develop a cure.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:59 pm

That's bloody awful. Courageous Daniher.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:15 pm

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/cronulla-sharks-players-facing-bans-of-up-to-two-years-report/story-fnca0von-1227030643685

On topic, but off topic, Cronulla Sharks players issued with Show Cause Notices in meetings with ASADA and lawyers in Sydney today.

SEVENTEEN past and present Cronulla players have been issued with show-cause notices after meeting with the NRL and ASADA.

The notices, which follow ASADA’s anti-doping investigation into the Sharks’ 2011 supplements program, were distributed today and varied in severity, with potential bans ranging between six months and two years, The Daily Telegraph reports.

The notices follow ASADA’s 18-month anti-doping investigation.

The players will have 10 days to respond and have the option to challenge the notices, according to the report.

Show-cause notices ask potential offenders to explain why they should not be served with infraction notices over alleged breaches of the anti-doping code.

Breaches usually carry penalties of up to two years, but can be cut to six months for those who provide “substantial assistance’’ to ASADA.

Sharks skipper Paul Gallen is one of the players involved and expressed his concern on Wednesday morning that by accepting reduced bans, they’ll be labelled drug cheats.

“It’s (our reputation) tarnished now already, but no matter what, if we do this we’re going to be labelled a drug cheat,’’ he told Sky Sports Radio’s Big Sports Breakfast.

“It’s a tough situation to be in.

“Our mind and our mood changes every 10 minutes. At one stage we’re (thinking) ‘thank God, this is going to be over hopefully, whatever happens is going to happen and we can just get on with life’. Because closure on this thing would just be unbelievable (after) what we’ve gone through the past two seasons.

“But then you say ‘let’s stuff this, we’ve done nothing wrong’.

“It’s a real hard situation to be in.’’

Regardless, Gallen was adamant he hadn’t taken any banned substance.

“I’m 100 per cent positive I’ve never taken anything that’s been on any banned list,’’ he said.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7501 times
Been liked: 10795 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:31 pm

Decisions to make: AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan has received an offer from ASADA about the Essendon players suspected of using performance-enhancing substances. Photo: Getty Images
Share 0 Adjust font size Read Later
By ROY MASTERS
ASADA has tabled with AFL chief executive, Gillon McLachlan, a six-month sanction for Essendon players, on the condition they accept they took performance-enhancing substances in 2011-12.

If Essendon wait until the Federal Court's Justice John Middleton brings down his decision in the club's case that a joint AFL/ASADA investigation was unlawful, the offer will be withdrawn.

ASADA is willing to accept Essendon players were doped and duped and therefore qualify for a WADA "no significant fault" discount, taking the standard two-year ban for use of prohibited substances down to 12 months.

Advertisement

ASADA chief executive Ben McDevitt is also willing to apply the 75 per cent discount which applies to all athletes who concede guilt and whose evidence leads to a doping infraction being issued against another person. Essendon players co-operated with ASADA from the first days of the investigation, when the anti-doping body joined the AFL in order to take advantage of its coercive powers. However, the 75 per cent discount applies to the full sentence, meaning it is an 18-month concession on two years, not one year. That is, six months.

NRL players were effectively offered a three-month ban, with their year-long sanction backdated to November, 2013. Ironically, the AFL and its supporters in Canberra precipitated this. The ASADA Act allows for administrative delays in bringing a case to a conclusion to mitigate a sentence. The joint AFL/ASADA investigation, promoted by senior public servants in the government of Julia Gillard, shifted ASADA's already stretched resources away from Sydney to Melbourne, meaning the Cronulla investigation was effectively placed on hold.

The AFL, by bullying ASADA into producing evidence for an interim report to punish the club, coach James Hird and other Essendon staff, drew resources away from the NRL. The co-operation of WADA is mandatory for all discounted bans and McDevitt may have a difficult task convincing the Montreal-based world body to accept the proposed Essendon ban of six months

A level of co-operation with a national anti-doping body is necessary to sustain discounted sanctions. Essendon, by taking ASADA to the Federal Court, could be perceived to being unco-operative, while Cronulla's board ruled out legal action, irrespective of ASADA penalties. While Essendon players were not a party to the action taken by their club and Hird, they were represented by a leading Melbourne barrister, David Grace QC.

Furthermore, club president Paul Little, has persistently claimed Essendon players are not guilty of taking performance-enhancing substances and has aggravated ASADA by saying publicly it will not communicate with him. It is understood ASADA's initial reticence to meet Little was only prior to the issue of show cause notices to 34 past and present Essendon players, where he deemed it would be a conflict of interest.

All that is required under the ASADA Act, for the anti-doping body to issue an infraction notice, is to establish to its satisfaction that evidence of a doping breach took place. It is presumed in the case of Essendon it is the use of the banned thymosin drug.

ASADA has also requested McLachlan issue a life ban against sports scientist Stephen Dank, the architect of the supplements program at Essendon and Cronulla, although the anti-doping body accepts this is the only common link between the two football clubs.

The Essendon campaign extended over a full year, with multiple injections where, despite the magisterial authority of Hird, players could have been expected to ask after say the fifth needle what were the substances and why was the operation conducted off site and requiring signed waivers.

By contrast, the Cronulla drugs regime was brief and ad hoc, administered after the captain's run final training session, from a corporate box at the club's home ground, with supplements stored amateurishly in an esky. The Cronulla club doctor quickly banned all injections and the program quickly reverted to use of creams and lozenges.

It is anticipated a three-month ban of past and present Cronulla players, where only five (one who has already announced his retirement) remain at the club, will be more palatable to NRL clubs than if the same punishment was applied to Essendon, where more than 20 players remain. Rival AFL clubs will contend the damage done to the AFL brand is greater in Melbourne where the code takes on the status of a civic religion. Essendon, in line for a position in the 2014 semi finals, have major issues to confront in terms of the date a six-month ban begins.
Jim05
Coach

Essendon 2014

Postby Jim05 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:32 pm

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/asa ... 06qv2.html

Decisions to make: AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan has received an offer from ASADA about the Essendon players suspected of using performance-enhancing substances.
By ROY MASTERS
ASADA has tabled with AFL chief executive, Gillon McLachlan, a six-month sanction for Essendon players, on the condition they accept they took performance-enhancing substances in 2011-12.

If Essendon wait until the Federal Court's Justice John Middleton brings down his decision in the club's case that a joint AFL/ASADA investigation was unlawful, the offer will be withdrawn.

ASADA is willing to accept Essendon players were doped and duped and therefore qualify for a WADA "no significant fault" discount, taking the standard two-year ban for use of prohibited substances down to 12 months.

ASADA chief executive Ben McDevitt is also willing to apply the 75 per cent discount which applies to all athletes who concede guilt and whose evidence leads to a doping infraction being issued against another person. Essendon players co-operated with ASADA from the first days of the investigation, when the anti-doping body joined the AFL in order to take advantage of its coercive powers. However, the 75 per cent discount applies to the full sentence, meaning it is an 18-month concession on two years, not one year. That is, six months.

NRL players were effectively offered a three-month ban, with their year-long sanction backdated to November, 2013. Ironically, the AFL and its supporters in Canberra precipitated this. The ASADA Act allows for administrative delays in bringing a case to a conclusion to mitigate a sentence. The joint AFL/ASADA investigation, promoted by senior public servants in the government of Julia Gillard, shifted ASADA's already stretched resources away from Sydney to Melbourne, meaning the Cronulla investigation was effectively placed on hold.

The AFL, by bullying ASADA into producing evidence for an interim report to punish the club, coach James Hird and other Essendon staff, drew resources away from the NRL. The co-operation of WADA is mandatory for all discounted bans and McDevitt may have a difficult task convincing the Montreal-based world body to accept the proposed Essendon ban of six months

A level of co-operation with a national anti-doping body is necessary to sustain discounted sanctions. Essendon, by taking ASADA to the Federal Court, could be perceived to being unco-operative, while Cronulla's board ruled out legal action, irrespective of ASADA penalties. While Essendon players were not a party to the action taken by their club and Hird, they were represented by a leading Melbourne barrister, David Grace QC.

Furthermore, club president Paul Little, has persistently claimed Essendon players are not guilty of taking performance-enhancing substances and has aggravated ASADA by saying publicly it will not communicate with him. It is understood ASADA's initial reticence to meet Little was only prior to the issue of show cause notices to 34 past and present Essendon players, where he deemed it would be a conflict of interest.

All that is required under the ASADA Act, for the anti-doping body to issue an infraction notice, is to establish to its satisfaction that evidence of a doping breach took place. It is presumed in the case of Essendon it is the use of the banned thymosin drug.

ASADA has also requested McLachlan issue a life ban against sports scientist Stephen Dank, the architect of the supplements program at Essendon and Cronulla, although the anti-doping body accepts this is the only common link between the two football clubs.

The Essendon campaign extended over a full year, with multiple injections where, despite the magisterial authority of Hird, players could have been expected to ask after say the fifth needle what were the substances and why was the operation conducted off site and requiring signed waivers.

By contrast, the Cronulla drugs regime was brief and ad hoc, administered after the captain's run final training session, from a corporate box at the club's home ground, with supplements stored amateurishly in an esky. The Cronulla club doctor quickly banned all injections and the program quickly reverted to use of creams and lozenges.

It is anticipated a three-month ban of past and present Cronulla players, where only five (one who has already announced his retirement) remain at the club, will be more palatable to NRL clubs than if the same punishment was applied to Essendon, where more than 20 players remain. Rival AFL clubs will contend the damage done to the AFL brand is greater in Melbourne where the code takes on the status of a civic religion. Essendon, in line for a position in the 2014 semi finals, have major issues to confront in terms of the date a six-month ban begins.
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:38 pm

Reckon ASADA are clutching at straws here. If they really had sufficient evidence no way would they be trying to cut a deal, they would be pushing for the full 2 years ban. Co-incidence that they are throwing deals around since court proceedings
Jim05
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:12 am

Jim05 wrote:Reckon ASADA are clutching at straws here. If they really had sufficient evidence no way would they be trying to cut a deal, they would be pushing for the full 2 years ban. Co-incidence that they are throwing deals around since court proceedings

disagree there Jim. as mentioned, it can be reasonably argued that the players didnt know exactly what they took, so that could mitigate.

would you finally admit essendon, and hird, actually did something wrong if they plead out?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Essendon 2014

Postby Jim05 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:05 am

bennymacca wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Reckon ASADA are clutching at straws here. If they really had sufficient evidence no way would they be trying to cut a deal, they would be pushing for the full 2 years ban. Co-incidence that they are throwing deals around since court proceedings

disagree there Jim. as mentioned, it can be reasonably argued that the players didnt know exactly what they took, so that could mitigate.

would you finally admit essendon, and hird, actually did something wrong if they plead out?

I still dont think ASADA have the authority to dish out lenient penalties, id imagine as soon as any guilt is admitted by anyone WADA would come in and appeal it. They would end up copping 2 years anyway.
Ive admitted Essendon and Hird have done plenty wrong all along but still not convinced they took anything illegal. As the ASADA report said, Hird sent several emails to Dank saying that we need to push the boundaries on the stipulation that everything had to be WADA and ASADA approved.
The drug we have received SC notices for is TB4 only and from what I understand ASADA's evidence of its use is circumstancial at best.
I know a couple of current players have said even if they are offered 1 day suspension they wouldnt take it as they feel they are innocent and prepared to fight it all the way.
I heard several Sharks players say likewise
Also thought the judge said last week that ASADA could not proceed until after the judgement was handed down
Jim05
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:19 am

Cronulla players have accepted their bans :shock:
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 449 times
Been liked: 1217 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Essendon 2014

Postby Jim05 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:40 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:Cronulla players have accepted their bans :shock:

Yep, apparantly WADA gave the NRL a promise they wont come over the top if they accept these penalties.
I heard a Cronulla rep say the deal was too good to refuse

Gilligan has also apparantly spoken to ASADA today and there is no new deal to Essendon, just media speculation
Jim05
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL