Sydney Swans 2014

Talk on the national game

Re: Sydney Swans 2014

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:39 am

Sydney Swans coach John Longmire will hand the reins to his assistants during the NAB Challenge series.

John Blakey will call the shots this Friday night in Coffs Harbour when the Swans take on the Brisbane Lions at C.ex International Stadium.

Forwards coach Henry Playfair will take charge for the Swans’ second NAB Challenge match against Fremantle at Drummoyne Oval, while senior assistant Stuart Dew will be in the hot seat for the team’s final hit-out ahead of the season proper, against GWS in Canberra.

Senior coach John Longmire said it was a good opportunity for all of the coaches to get a different perspective of the game.

“The coaches are no different to the playing group in the sense that we can all improve and I’m hoping it is something that all of us on the coaching panel can learn from,” Longmire said.

“This is something we planned at the start of our pre-season and it is a great opportunity for the assistant coaches to take charge, not just during the match, but also in the build up to the game.

“I’m really looking forward to seeing the game from a different perspective. Whether it is just taking a backseat in the coaches’ box or spending some time on the bench, it will be interesting to see what I can learn from a different vantage point.”
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:37 am

Just a trial but Heeney was very impressive and from all reports is in the hunt for selection come round 1...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby stan » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:55 am

woodublieve12 wrote:Just a trial but Heeney was very impressive and from all reports is in the hunt for selection come round 1...

Like the look of him wub. A real steal at pick 18.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:02 am

stan wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:Just a trial but Heeney was very impressive and from all reports is in the hunt for selection come round 1...

yeah, i reckon he is. but it was only a trial so i'm keen to see how he goes in the real stuff.
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby stan » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:33 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
stan wrote:

yeah, i reckon he is. but it was only a trial so i'm keen to see how he goes in the real stuff.

Yeah sure but be didn't loom out of place. Might be a chance for rd 1.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:06 am

John Longmire's speech at last nights guernsey presentation...

After some initial time spent reflecting and reviewing the 2014 season in its entirety, the planning of our 2015 campaign began.

The National Draft for a club is always exciting, as the culmination of years of work by the recruiting staff comes to fruition.

Whilst the anticipation of a club leading into each draft is palpable, understandably it doesn’t match the uncertainty and nervousness of the young men and their families whose lives will forever change in the space of seconds when their names are called out.

To Isaac Heeney, Jack Hiscox, James Rose, Abe Davis, Sean McLaren, Nic Newman, Jordan Foote and Lewis Melican,– welcome to the Swans family.

Be prepared to work hard, test your limits, have disappointments and be challenged on and off the field.

And also be prepared to learn, mature, be supported, nurtured, and make friends that will last a lifetime. You will have a number of experiences that you would never have dreamt of only a few months ago. Tonight is just one of those experiences.

As all new players to the club, tonight you will be presented a book by the name of “In The Blood”, written by lifelong Swans supporter and Life Member Jim Main. It charts our history from the late 1800’s. It features in detail the men who have gone before you – from Vic Belcher, Bob Pratt, Herbie Matthews, Bob Skilton, Peter Bedford and Barry Round, to the modern day warriers Tony Lockett, Paul Kelly, Stuart Maxfield, Brett Kirk and Adam Goodes, as well as hundreds of others who have left their own mark on this club.

At the back of the book there are 13 blank pages. Use these pages to write your own story. Fill in the blanks for your contribution to this club, and leave your mark.

To the families and friends of our new players, also welcome. We understand the enormous change that occurred to your family unit when your son’s name was called out last November. However you will also go along for the ride, and be there for the ups and downs that all careers inevitably have.

For those of us here, who could forget Jude Bolton’s mum Rosalie’s speech last year? She spoke of how much joy she had watching her son develop from a boy, to a young man, and then to a father, whilst at all times being supported by a network at this club that genuinely cared for him as well.

We take the responsibility of looking after your sons very seriously. Our staff and playing group are all committed to the development of each and every one of them.

Damian and Sue Melican - our recruiters won’t forget the first comment you made when they arrived in your lounge room in Birragurra to tell you that they were interested in recruiting Lewis… “Kinnear” – you said - “have you really thought about this”. I can assure we had!

I’m sure that you would never have dreamed that just 4 months later Lewis can not only cook (of sorts!), and drive in the traffic of Sydney, but also play in a pre-season game on television.

I’m sure all the other families have similar stories.

Players outside of those first year draftees – drive yourself and others to set the standard. Enjoy your work, by working hard. There are no easy ways.

To our team – We have 18 days until the first bounce against Essendon.

Pre-season began on the 17th of November. Since then we have, on average, run over 310km, spent over 50 hours working on skills, plus many more hours spent attending to injuries, having meetings, and generally setting the foundations.

And all to get to the starting grid in the best possible shape.

We also know that there are 17 other teams, and 800 other players doing exactly the same thing.

Some do ask – what exactly lies before us in 2015? The truth is that I don’t know. It’s impossible for anyone to know.

However what I do know is that these 44 men that you see behind me, and the fantastic staff who sit behind them, are absolutely committed to the challenge ahead. Committed to playing the type of football that gets us into a position to challenge again.

As supporters, please take a minute to have a good look at every one of these men on stage. I’m sure that you’re glad you go to the game wearing the red and white to cheer them on each and every week.

And you have confidence in their ability to work to get the most out of themselves. Confidence in their willingness to challenge and support each other. Confidence in their proven ability to overcome hurdles, and raise the bar again.

I stand here proud to be coach of this team and what it stands for. Its time to get back in the ring……
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby cracka » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:09 pm

That's F***** brilliant.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:08 pm

Sydney Swans versus Essendon
Now that the dust has settled, for the time being, on the club’s supplements, all the Essendon Bombers will want to do is play football.

Meanwhile the Swans have spent the last six months pondering what could have been after copping a 63-point hiding from Hawthorn in the grand final.

Franklin will be out to continue his dominance of Essendon, having averaged five goals in 11 outings against the red and black.

John Longmire will notch his 100th game as coach against the club whom the Swans defeated for their first win under his stewardship back in Round 2, 2011.

The Swans will also look to win a Round 1 match against a club other than GWS for the first time since 2005, which is a strong chance given the Bombers’ 2012 players will be lacking match practice, those players having missed the NAB Challenge due to what has turned out to be a meaningless provisional suspension.

Prediction: Sydney Swans by 30 points.
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:20 pm

I thought this was really good...

http://bit.ly/19AXERE
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:03 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Sydney Swans versus Essendon
Now that the dust has settled, for the time being, on the club’s supplements, all the Essendon Bombers will want to do is play football.

Meanwhile the Swans have spent the last six months pondering what could have been after copping a 63-point hiding from Hawthorn in the grand final.

Franklin will be out to continue his dominance of Essendon, having averaged five goals in 11 outings against the red and black.

John Longmire will notch his 100th game as coach against the club whom the Swans defeated for their first win under his stewardship back in Round 2, 2011.

The Swans will also look to win a Round 1 match against a club other than GWS for the first time since 2005, which is a strong chance given the Bombers’ 2012 players will be lacking match practice, those players having missed the NAB Challenge due to what has turned out to be a meaningless provisional suspension.

Prediction : Sydney will not even kick 30 points :lol:
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 848 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:52 pm

wristwatcher wrote:

Pardon? :D
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:46 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

Haha your welcome. ;)

I think they kicked the last 8.5 from when I posted this. I demand a 3 year investigation. :)
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Cohiba » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:09 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

Haha your welcome. ;)

I think they kicked the last 8.5 from when I posted this. I demand a 3 year investigation. :)

Somebody not taking their pills?
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:33 am

woodublieve12 wrote:John Longmire's speech at last nights guernsey presentation...

After some initial time spent reflecting and reviewing the 2014 season in its entirety, the planning of our 2015 campaign began.

The National Draft for a club is always exciting, as the culmination of years of work by the recruiting staff comes to fruition.

Whilst the anticipation of a club leading into each draft is palpable, understandably it doesn’t match the uncertainty and nervousness of the young men and their families whose lives will forever change in the space of seconds when their names are called out.

To Isaac Heeney, Jack Hiscox, James Rose, Abe Davis, Sean McLaren, Nic Newman, Jordan Foote and Lewis Melican,– welcome to the Swans family.

Be prepared to work hard, test your limits, have disappointments and be challenged on and off the field.

And also be prepared to learn, mature, be supported, nurtured, and make friends that will last a lifetime. You will have a number of experiences that you would never have dreamt of only a few months ago. Tonight is just one of those experiences.

As all new players to the club, tonight you will be presented a book by the name of “In The Blood”, written by lifelong Swans supporter and Life Member Jim Main. It charts our history from the late 1800’s. It features in detail the men who have gone before you – from Vic Belcher, Bob Pratt, Herbie Matthews, Bob Skilton, Peter Bedford and Barry Round, to the modern day warriers Tony Lockett, Paul Kelly, Stuart Maxfield, Brett Kirk and Adam Goodes, as well as hundreds of others who have left their own mark on this club.

At the back of the book there are 13 blank pages. Use these pages to write your own story. Fill in the blanks for your contribution to this club, and leave your mark.

To the families and friends of our new players, also welcome. We understand the enormous change that occurred to your family unit when your son’s name was called out last November. However you will also go along for the ride, and be there for the ups and downs that all careers inevitably have.

For those of us here, who could forget Jude Bolton’s mum Rosalie’s speech last year? She spoke of how much joy she had watching her son develop from a boy, to a young man, and then to a father, whilst at all times being supported by a network at this club that genuinely cared for him as well.

We take the responsibility of looking after your sons very seriously. Our staff and playing group are all committed to the development of each and every one of them.

Damian and Sue Melican - our recruiters won’t forget the first comment you made when they arrived in your lounge room in Birragurra to tell you that they were interested in recruiting Lewis… “Kinnear” – you said - “have you really thought about this”. I can assure we had!

I’m sure that you would never have dreamed that just 4 months later Lewis can not only cook (of sorts!), and drive in the traffic of Sydney, but also play in a pre-season game on television.

I’m sure all the other families have similar stories.

Players outside of those first year draftees – drive yourself and others to set the standard. Enjoy your work, by working hard. There are no easy ways.

To our team – We have 18 days until the first bounce against Essendon.

Pre-season began on the 17th of November. Since then we have, on average, run over 310km, spent over 50 hours working on skills, plus many more hours spent attending to injuries, having meetings, and generally setting the foundations.

And all to get to the starting grid in the best possible shape.

We also know that there are 17 other teams, and 800 other players doing exactly the same thing.

Some do ask – what exactly lies before us in 2015? The truth is that I don’t know. It’s impossible for anyone to know.

However what I do know is that these 44 men that you see behind me, and the fantastic staff who sit behind them, are absolutely committed to the challenge ahead. Committed to playing the type of football that gets us into a position to challenge again.

As supporters, please take a minute to have a good look at every one of these men on stage. I’m sure that you’re glad you go to the game wearing the red and white to cheer them on each and every week.

And you have confidence in their ability to work to get the most out of themselves. Confidence in their willingness to challenge and support each other. Confidence in their proven ability to overcome hurdles, and raise the bar again.

I stand here proud to be coach of this team and what it stands for. Its time to get back in the ring……

You guys get this ^ and we get our coach sitting at a press conference saying that he can't see how we'll get beaten.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:10 pm

Good call.

Somebody needs to tell Mick the Dick that the 90,s called and they are wondering why he is still living in them
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:36 am

Port Adelaide versus Sydney Swans
Two competition heavyweights will collide at the Adelaide Oval when Port Adelaide christens the ground for the first time this season against last year’s beaten grand finalists, the Sydney Swans.

Port were unlucky to be beaten by Fremantle by only seven points but they still showed why they will be expected to take the next step up in 2015, having fallen agonisingly short of making the grand final last year.

Meanwhile, the Sydney Swans will need to ensure they get off to a good start after a poor first three quarters nearly cost them victory against Essendon in their season opener.

The Swans trailed the Bombers by six goals deep in the third quarter before rallying to win by 12 points. A repeat of what happened beforehand could result in an ugly result this Saturday night, but the trip to Adelaide should not hold any fears for the side who have won on seven of their last nine trips to the city of churches.

That includes a 26-point win in the two teams’ last meeting, which came in Round 20 last year. But with the Power playing at home for the first time this season, and desperate to avoid starting the new season 0-2, they’ll be fired up for this one.

Prediction: Port Adelaide by 15 points.
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:36 am

McGlynn and McVeigh are certain starters...
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby MatteeG » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:49 pm

Is it time for a 2015 thread Wubsy?
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Previous

Board index   Football  AFL