2017 AFL Season

Talk on the national game

Re: 2017 AFL Season

Postby valleys07 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:03 pm

Zartan wrote:
valleys07 wrote:Would be an excellent 3rd midfielder at the Cats IMO. Problem with Trav is, he can't impact on the outside the way he used to. At the Cats, where blokes like Danger, Duncan and co. can impact the outside, Trav's sole responsibility would be to win the contested cod and extract.

To Trav's detriment at Port, he doesn't have the impact up forward that is needed of him for the role he plays.

Is this an indication the Port faithful are losing interest and faith in their skipper?

At the present time, he is producing ok numbers (22 and just under a goal a game), so for his role, he is the best performing player on our list. In time, I suspect Joe Atley will be looked at to replace him.

No faith lost in Trav, but he isn't performing to the level we have come to know of him. If he is to be playing that mid/HF role moving forward, he needs to impact the scoreboard, and 11 goals and 5 goal assists isn't cutting the mustard for mine.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:21 pm

Pittard isn't worth a first round pick for a start
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2334 times
Been liked: 3575 times

Postby morell » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:53 pm

Dutchy wrote:Pittard isn't worth a first round pick for a start
Its based on the new contract value and the players age, not what any club, you or I think he's "worth".
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1143 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:14 pm

morell wrote:
Its based on the new contract value and the players age, not what any club, you or I think he's "worth".

I think most experts in the industry think he will be a second rounder. Don't think he will get a huge contract offer either in terms of length or $$
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3565 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby morell » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:17 pm

Sure, I get that, but its staggering how many pundits think it works like a normal trade. If he gets offered $600k/pa it'll more than likely be an end of first round draft pick.

Whether we think he's worth that on an open market or not is irrelevant.
morell
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:31 pm

Jim05 wrote:
morell wrote:

I think most experts in the industry think he will be a second rounder. Don't think he will get a huge contract offer either in terms of length or $$

At 26, if the speculated offer is $600k x 4-5 years then that would suggest end of 1st round.

COMPENSATION

A club that has a net loss of players transferring to/from other clubs as free agents in one transfer period is entitled to compensation via National Draft picks allocated by the AFL.

The compensation formula produces a points rating for players based on:

1. The new contract of the free agent;
2. The age of the free agent.

Draft picks are allocated to clubs based on the net total points for free agents lost and gained during the transfer period.

Draft picks will be allocated to one of five places:

• 1st round
• end of 1st round
• 2nd round
• end of 2nd round
• 3rd round

In applying the formula, an expert committee reviews the formula outcomes. The committee has the power to recommend alternative outcomes to GM – Football Operations where the formula produces a materially anomalous result.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7520 times
Been liked: 10823 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:50 pm

Those rules will be changed now that the CBA has come in
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby morell » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:09 pm

Brodlach wrote:Those rules will be changed now that the CBA has come in

and so will his offer.
morell
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:23 pm

Commensurate, surely?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:50 pm

morell wrote:

and so will his offer.

I doubt he would get anymore with the CBA adjustment
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:51 pm

Booney wrote:

Commensurate, surely?

That's got to be the case maybe even slightly more
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:56 pm

Brodlach wrote:
morell wrote:

and so will his offer.

I doubt he would get anymore with the CBA adjustment

Of course he would. Simple supply and demand economics.

In all likelihood if he doesn't leave it ll be a second rounder, but it is dependent on the $$$, not his apparent capabilities (or lack-thereof) as a player. Which was the crux of my point.
morell
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:59 pm

If he was offered $500k before there is no reason to offer $600k just because of the CBA. Not all players are going to get the extra.

Not worth big money as he is a HB Flanker
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:53 pm

Brodlach wrote:If he was offered $500k before there is no reason to offer $600k just because of the CBA. Not all players are going to get the extra.

They all just got a 20% pay rise.

If his wage went 400>480 then the offer goes 600>720 overnight. But so does everyone's.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:31 pm

Booney wrote:
Brodlach wrote:If he was offered $500k before there is no reason to offer $600k just because of the CBA. Not all players are going to get the extra.

They all just got a 20% pay rise.

If his wage went 400>480 then the offer goes 600>720 overnight. But so does everyone's.

That's not quite correct. If your existing contract didn't have a clause in it about the CBA increase you don't get the increase. Jenkins is one.

Just because there has been a CBA increase that doesn't mean you have to offer Pittard more $$$
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:02 pm

Yeah it's the cap increasing by that much not necessarily each contract
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:54 am

Western Bulldogs Tom Boyd is taking indefinite leave as he deals with clinical depression.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

“Western Bulldogs forward Tom Boyd has been provided a leave of absence from the Club while he receives treatment for clinical depression.

Tom has managed his illness in conjunction with the Bulldogs’ medical staff for an extended period, and will continue to receive the Club’s full support as he works through this challenge.

Tom has indicated a desire to return to playing as soon as possible, and the Club will work closely with Tom and the Bulldogs’ medical staff to determine a suitable time for reintegration into the training program.

The Club will continue to provide an extensive support framework to help Tom manage his illness, and asks for the respect for Tom’s position during this time.”
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:58 am

I was about to type gee it's getting worse these days but I'm sure that's not the case, it's just a lot more acceptable to talk about it these days.

Hope he gets himself right
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby morell » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:07 pm

bennymacca wrote:Yeah it's the cap increasing by that much not necessarily each contract

Of course not. Pretty Sam Mitchell's contract isn't going to go up. Either is Dean Gore's.

But on the open market a player with demand will obviously have his price influenced by the forces inherent in that market. In this case, people have more money to spend, which therefore means there are more potential buyers, which therefore means the goods they're buying are scarcer ... which means their price goes up.

Pittard's price will go up due to the CBA - it's not even arguable really.

What *might* change is the formula that the AFL put on the contracts for free agency compensation. As in, they might adjust the weightings up by a commensurate amount to reflect the upswing from the CBA.

Either / Or - its kind of moot to the conversation. The compensation for Pittard isn't based on his output as a player, its based on his age and the $ value of his contract. So nuff nuffs continuing the "but Pittard isn't a good enough player for a first rounder" in a normal trade situation are derping all over their keyboard.

Free Agency <> Trades
morell
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:14 pm

Booney wrote:Western Bulldogs Tom Boyd is taking indefinite leave as he deals with clinical depression.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

“Western Bulldogs forward Tom Boyd has been provided a leave of absence from the Club while he receives treatment for clinical depression.

Tom has managed his illness in conjunction with the Bulldogs’ medical staff for an extended period, and will continue to receive the Club’s full support as he works through this challenge.

Tom has indicated a desire to return to playing as soon as possible, and the Club will work closely with Tom and the Bulldogs’ medical staff to determine a suitable time for reintegration into the training program.

The Club will continue to provide an extensive support framework to help Tom manage his illness, and asks for the respect for Tom’s position during this time.”

Best wishes to Tom for his recovery.

Fasolo, Cloke and now Boyd have all taken a leave of absence to deal with Mental Health issues.

I can't recall a season in the past where so many cases have been brought to the public light which is probably a good thing, as depression clearly isn't an isolated AFL industry issue and this is proving that more men are choosing to speak up.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL