Buddy off to Sydney...Swans!

Talk on the national game

Re: Buddy off to Sydney...Swans!

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:30 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Ok another question.

For ease of mathematics il use round numbers.

If $ydney offer 1 mill a year and the cost of living is 10% of that, does that mean the Hawks only have to offer 900k to match it?

No. Buddy may not even want the COLA.

Since its so fricken attractive to live in $ydney perhaps they should have 10% less salary cap than everyone else.
By the same token maybe port and adelaide should have COLINS (Cost of living in nanny state) allowance.
Can see Free Agancy becoming the new Father/Son advantage for Victorian and $ydney teams
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 1664 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby whufc » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:59 pm

Lol at all the people whinging about the COLA

Are you the same people who buy a house near an airport and the complain about the overhead noise.

The AFL has made absolutely no secret its biggest priorities are making money from the tv rights, expanding to capture the NSW/QLD markets, attendances from blockbuster fixtures rather than intergrity of competition, eveness of fixtures, creating a level playing field for all 18 teams.

Yet come the end of cricket season and all this will be forgetton and everyone will mindlessly buy their memberships, attend games, watch games and AFL based shows on t.v, play AFL dreamteam etc etc

And the AFL will continue to head down the path of doing what it likes when it likes because it has no consquences.

The AFL is now the Australian Rules version of the WWE.

;)
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5611 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:04 pm

Don't forget the people who want to play Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton twice a year, then whinge that they play GWS or the Suns once a year.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby the wonder elephant » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:13 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:Don't forget the people who want to play Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton twice a year, then whinge that they play GWS or the Suns once a year.

This , cake and eat it always complaining about soft draws etc but AFL want these blockbuster games !!! well said TSG :D
ps **** never thought I would that :lol:
the wonder elephant
League - Best 21

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:16 pm

So it's ok for port, dees, bulldogs, North Melbourne getting millions of $$$ assistance from the AFL and in the dees case, paying there fines and for there coach, but the swans don't break any rules, make room in our cap with players leaving and delisting and continue to build a strong list and we are frowned upon!
Ps
Not sold on buddy and we haven't officially got him either
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3034 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:16 pm

Hawthorn have to match the money and length of term. $10m over 9 years, otherwise Buddy goes to Sydney for nothing. If they match it, Buddy can only get to Sydney via trade.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:16 pm

My thoughts on Buddy's Big Move - Shane Crawford

Late this afternoon I sat down with my eldest boy Charlie Crawford and told him that Buddy was leaving the Hawks and heading to the Sydney Swans his reaction as a 7 year-old boy slightly surprised me…he started to cry.

Did the news shock me? No it didn’t. I spent some one on one time with Buddy in the Hawks locker rooms after the win on Saturday and Buddy was highly emotional. After seeing him in this state it didn’t take much to know there was something else playing on his mind.

Knowing Buddy as a team-mate and a friend I know this would have been the toughest decision of his life. In my opinion, this season would have been a long, drawn out one for Buddy as even he wouldn’t have known how things were going to unfold until the final weeks of the season. One thing is for sure – his heart is at Hawthorn.
I think there is a lot more to this story than financial gain.

This decision allows his an element of freedom that he wouldn’t have experienced since his early twenties. Perhaps this is even a reason why the deal with GWS didn’t proceed – they were positioning him to be “the face of their club” after all.

The start of the 2014 season is going to be hard to watch with the Big Bud dressed as a Swan but how lucky were we to have Buddy on our side for nine years and contributing to two Premierships for the Hawks?

So one last word to you Buddy…

I have a clear memory of our first training camp together at Kokoda when you were given your 24 hour ration pack and ate it in the first five minutes. We were told very clearly how important it was for you to learn to manage your rations and instructed not to give you any of our food supply. We failed dismally because we loved you then and we still love you to bits now…ALWAYS.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3034 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:18 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:So it's ok for port, dees, bulldogs, North Melbourne getting millions of $$$ assistance from the AFL and in the dees case, paying there fines and for there coach, but the swans don't break any rules, make room in our cap with players leaving and delisting and continue to build a strong list and we are frowned upon!
Ps

I think we have. Just have to see if Hawthorn match the offer after the AFL go over the contract with a fine tooth comb.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:23 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:So it's ok for port, dees, bulldogs, North Melbourne getting millions of $$$ assistance from the AFL and in the dees case, paying there fines and for there coach, but the swans don't break any rules, make room in our cap with players leaving and delisting and continue to build a strong list and we are frowned upon!
Ps

I think we have. Just have to see if Hawthorn match the offer after the AFL go over the contract with a fine tooth comb.

Cant be signed before Friday and there is rumours the AFL are calling a meeting in next day or two and one of the topics will be discussing the COLA and decide if it gets scrapped.
I agree though Sleepy the deal is as good as done
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3562 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:35 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Ps

Cant be signed before Friday and there is rumours the AFL are calling a meeting in next day or two and one of the topics will be discussing the COLA and decide if it gets scrapped.

Even if it is scrapped (which I highly doubt) all current contracts would still have to be honoured. The AFL investigate all free agency dealings, then rubber stamp them. The "official" contract can't be signed until the free agency period begins.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby Q. » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:40 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:Even if it is scrapped (which I highly doubt) all current contracts would still have to be honoured. The AFL investigate all free agency dealings, then rubber stamp them. The "official" contract can't be signed until the free agency period begins.

I bet the league already had plans to scrap it and gave Sydney the heads up. One final big play while they've got the advantage.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby rod_rooster » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:53 pm

Didn't Sydney have a "no dickheads" policy? What happened to that?
rod_rooster
Coach

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:56 pm

They conform to the Sydney way.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:06 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Ps

Even if it is scrapped (which I highly doubt) all current contracts would still have to be honoured. The AFL investigate all free agency dealings, then rubber stamp them. The "official" contract can't be signed until the free agency period begins.

So they could scrap it before friday, yeah unlikely, i think Q is probably spot on.
I bet the AFL would like to keep it in place for GWS but not $ydney
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 1664 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:16 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Question I'm not sure on.
If Hawthorn match the offer can we then trade him a week later?
If Franklin loves the Hawks so much surely he insists that the Hawks get looked after with draft picks from $ydney and that a trade is done rather than through free agency.
Mumford plus pick 14 and another 1st round pick that $ydney will have to trade for would satisfy me.

I'm also surprised he would want to go to a club that hung him out to dry only 4 weeks ago.

Already delisted Alex Brown. Who knows what sort of contracts players are on? Front/Back ended? How do you know Sydney didn't have some unspent dollars in their salary cap? Maybe because your guessing like everyone on here and in the media?

Who knows. His guess might be better than yours.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10818 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:18 pm

Ps

So tell me how North Melbourne are getting millions from the AFL?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2334 times
Been liked: 3570 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:18 pm

I love the fact the Swans have been working on getting Buddy to Sydney for 12 months, yet people only started to get a whisper late last week. Same with Tippett the year before. Footy world shocked again. Outrage. :lol:
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:19 pm

Booney wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Question I'm not sure on.
If Hawthorn match the offer can we then trade him a week later?
If Franklin loves the Hawks so much surely he insists that the Hawks get looked after with draft picks from $ydney and that a trade is done rather than through free agency.
Mumford plus pick 14 and another 1st round pick that $ydney will have to trade for would satisfy me.

I'm also surprised he would want to go to a club that hung him out to dry only 4 weeks ago.

Already delisted Alex Brown. Who knows what sort of contracts players are on? Front/Back ended? How do you know Sydney didn't have some unspent dollars in their salary cap? Maybe because your guessing like everyone on here and in the media?

Who knows. His guess might be better than yours.

You do know what everyone means don't you booney?
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:21 pm

Got a feeling this wont end well for the swans, Id be nervous signing Buddy to anything longer than a 2 year contract. When was the last time he took a mark above eye level? His body is banged up, discipline is questionable and with the Hawks playing finals ever since he started playing he has played another season than the average players already.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2334 times
Been liked: 3570 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:27 pm

Lynch signed for 10 years, and actually did 11.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL