Port Adelaide 2017

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2017

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:27 am

amber_fluid wrote:Polec is the one player with more upside than anyone on the list
If he can recapture his 2014 form and have that run and carry and deliver back in his game, he will be very important.
I know he has had injuries but he has been harshly treated by Ken and been made the scapegoat for others that should have been dropped before him IMO.

I disagree, he was treated right last year. He was simply soft on a few occasions and he needed to be sent a message. I hope it sunk in as his best attacking football is very good, he's one of our outside runners who can hit a target and he was missed because of this last year, his own fault though IMO. I saw him in a Magpies game completely disinterested, he spent another few weeks there, obviously I wasn't alone in thinking that.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7543 times
Been liked: 10873 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:28 am

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:yeah a few of those guys are harder for me to assess as i dont watch port as closely as you guys.

My point was, there are very few that I would be genuinely excited about as a port fan.

I think the reason bonner and Powell Pepper are being talked about is more to do with the fact that there are no slightly older breakout candidates that usually get all the attention in a preseason

I watch a lot of everyone and I think you've over rated Cameron and Atkins, I don't see them as A graders, anywho.

Not many clubs have more than 3 or 4 A graders, it's not possible to have 10 on your list who are in the upper echelon of the AFL. What you want is 5-10 B graders who play their role every week to the best of their ability.

Hawthorn, the most recent measuring stick, guys like Gunston, Puopolo, Breust even Gibson I don't rate as highly as Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne and Lewis, but they do their job every week to their best. Likewise, Port need the likes of Young, Impey, Byrne-Jones, Broadbent etc playing their best. I'm not comparing the Port guys to the Hawks guys, but saying in our system they're the ones who need to be consistently playing at their best to support the top end talent.

Even Gibson. Put a man on him and he gets beaten. Absolute sheepdog.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1710 times
Been liked: 1825 times

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:28 am

bennymacca wrote:S.Gray, Pittard - 25
Polec, Young, Hombsch - 24
Wingard, Ah Chee - 23
Clurey, Neade, Wines - 22
Austin, Impey , Amon, Byrne-Jones - 21
Howard, Palmer, Bonner - 20
Houston, Snelling, Powell-Pepper, Atley, Drew - 19

all imo obviously.

you have used that list as cause for optimism but i think its the opposite really.

But you admit you haven't watched them closely? :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:48 am

Booney wrote:
Wingard, Ah Chee - 23

all imo obviously.

you have used that list as cause for optimism but i think its the opposite really.

Based his opinion from Wickipedia :lol:
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:50 am

Brodlach wrote:
Booney wrote:
Wingard, Ah Chee - 23
all imo obviously.

I can see we'll never tire of this. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:55 am

Booney wrote:
Brodlach wrote:
Booney wrote:But you admit you haven't watched them closely? :lol:

I can see we'll never tire of this. :lol:

May aswell :lol:
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4352 times
Been liked: 7969 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:08 am

amber_fluid wrote:I think Wines is their most important player this year.
Many would argue that Ryder is but both are very important to any chance they have of playing finals.
Gray is still their best player but Wingard is close behind I'd say from what I've seen.

It's hard to constitute "best" or "most important" player.

To me:
Wingard: The most skillful player on the list and can turn a game on it's head with 15 minutes of magic, can rack up 18 disposals and be BOG because of what he done with those.
Gray: The most valuable player who can inspire the team with brilliance and pops up when the game needs to be won.
Wines: Probably the hardest working player who is still developing but gets the ball.
Ryder: Potentially the missing link, if he doesn't get lazy or injured he is probably the most influential player on the list, he can have a real domino affect on players such as Dixon, Trengrove and Westhoff who in turn free up the likes of Pittard, Hombsch, White and other players that are still developing.

At full strength they are dangerous and will turn it on from time to time, they can play some utter rubbish too which will see them finish around mid table, hopefully Kenny has some new tricks up his sleeve because they're getting a little stale, unsustainable and predictable.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4352 times
Been liked: 7969 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:34 am

Booney wrote:I watch a lot of everyone and I think you've over rated Cameron and Atkins, I don't see them as A graders, anywho.

I never said they were A graders, just that there is genuine excitement about their progression and the potential is there that they do turn into genuine matchwinners.

Booney wrote:But you admit you haven't watched them closely?

I watch more footy than most, just dont go out of my way to watch port in the SANFL, where most of your underperforming draftees are located :D

How many from the list you posted do you think have the potential to be genuine matchwinners?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:52 am

bennymacca wrote:
I watch more footy than most, just dont go out of my way to watch port in the SANFL, where most of your underperforming draftees are located :D

That's where the stars of tomorrow are building from. You know, the ones who leave to go home once they got into your senior side.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:55 am

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

That's where the stars of tomorrow are building from. You know, the ones who leave to go home once they got into your senior side.

fine then, dont bother with trying to talk footy. dont complain when the trolls are back
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:57 am

bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:I watch more footy than most, just dont go out of my way to watch port in the SANFL, where most of your underperforming draftees are located :D

fine then, dont bother with trying to talk footy. dont complain when the trolls are back

Hang on, your comment was a troll, at least wanted a bite and by your own admission you don't know about the players I was discussing. Good chatting. :D
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:04 am

I never said I didnt know about them, I said it is likely a few of you could make better judgements than me. Which valleys has done and you have not ;)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:08 am

S.Gray, Pittard - 25
Wingard, Ah Chee - 23

I don't see any other than Wingard in that list who meet your criteria of "match winner", benny. ( Somehow we've gone from A graders to match winner, not many sides have more than 1 or 2 "match winners" )

I do however see Wingard, Wines and Hombsch as elite and I see Pittard, Young, Clurey, Austin, Impey, Byrne-Jones, Bonner, Powell-Pepper and Atley as being solid consistent contributors at AFL level.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:09 am

bennymacca wrote:I never said I didnt know about them, I said it is likely a few of you could make better judgements than me. Which valleys has done and you have not ;)

Won't get me arguing. 8)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:11 am

bennymacca wrote:I never said they were A graders, just that there is genuine excitement about their progression and the potential is there that they do turn into genuine matchwinners.

Of course there is genuine excitement for you, you're a Crows supporter - it's no different to Port supporters being genuinely excited about Bonner or SPP or whoever.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3199 times
Been liked: 4057 times

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:13 am

Zartan wrote:
bennymacca wrote:I never said they were A graders, just that there is genuine excitement about their progression and the potential is there that they do turn into genuine matchwinners.

Of course there is genuine excitement for you, you're a Crows supporter - it's no different to Port supporters being genuinely excited about Bonner or SPP or whoever.

Adelaide are going to have 15 A graders and 12 match winners mate, you don't know much about them though. ;) :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:15 am

Booney wrote:Adelaide are going to have 15 A graders and 12 match winners mate, you don't know much about them though. ;) :lol:

They'll turn into A graders.. then take the better coin at a better club ala Dangerfield.. then Crows supporters will roll out the "We are a better side without them anyway" line :lol: :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:19 am

Zartan wrote:

thats my point though - the excitement for port fans is for a couple of players that have hardly played, not the 20-50 game players. Which I think is a reflection of where Port's list is at.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:24 am

bennymacca wrote:thats my point though - the excitement for port fans is for a couple of players that have hardly played, not the 20-50 game players. Which I think is a reflection of where Port's list is at.

Hard to get excited when your side is under performing. I think you'd find there are plenty of players that the Port fans like - they just aren't gonna hype them up like Brownlow medalists, because they're just honest serviceable players.

Question: Which of the Port players would you not want at Adelaide if you had the option?
The Bedge
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:39 am

Good to see women's football getting coverage with chad winguard getting a big poster in the advertiser

;)
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3039 times
Been liked: 2407 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL