2016 Silly Season, Trades and Rumours and utter BS

Talk on the national game

Re: 2016 Silly Season, Trades and Rumours and utter BS

Postby JK » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:34 pm

bennymacca wrote:Hombsch would be massive overs for 500k

I reckon $500k is about right .. Good player, and that sort of coin isn't big bikkies these days.

Said the same thing when Betts lobbed at Adelaide. $500k is around the level for a B Grade player, not the big bikkies it once was.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:38 pm

Anyone know what the average wage is these days for an AFL player and how it's calculated?
If it includes all players(including rookies)and players that only play a handful of games if any it will obviously reduce the average.

What would be the average wage for all players who played say 20 or more games a year?

500k for a B grader sounds way over the mark to me.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2234 times
Been liked: 2530 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:44 pm

Richmond have offered up a future first rounder for Hartlett. Port should jump at that, big chance the Tigers will be bottom 4 next year
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3564 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Grahaml » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:51 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Anyone know what the average wage is these days for an AFL player and how it's calculated?
If it includes all players(including rookies)and players that only play a handful of games if any it will obviously reduce the average.

What would be the average wage for all players who played say 20 or more games a year?

300k average, more or less.

From what I understand, all player wages are included, so rookies, draftees etc. Match payments seem to be a flat rate across the competition, so whether they count or not it's a bit of a moot point.

Rookies get 55k and draftees are on a sliding scale, although it doesn't drop too quickly. 70k for a first rounder, 60k for a third rounder. Minimum is 80k, give or take.

I personally think anyone on anything close to double the average would have to be considered A grade, or at least A grade potential. If Betts and Hombsch are on the same money, then either Betts is a bargain or Hombsch is getting overs.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:54 pm

Ok cheers.
Hombsch is a good honest defender but he ain't Eddie Betts!
But good luck too him if does get paid half a mill!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2234 times
Been liked: 2530 times

Postby valleys07 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:10 pm

Jim05 wrote:Richmond have offered up a future first rounder for Hartlett. Port should jump at that, big chance the Tigers will be bottom 4 next year

Considering the supposed calibre of next years draft, that is an ikea "start the car" trade.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby David Brent » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:13 pm

Jim05 wrote:Richmond have offered up a future first rounder for Hartlett. Port should jump at that, big chance the Tigers will be bottom 4 next year

Don't think Richmond could do that?? Don't you have to have 1 first round pick every three years under the future picks rules?

Gave up our first rounder for Yarren last year & Prestia this year, not sure it's possible.

Or did I imagine that rule & it doesn't exist??
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:27 pm

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:listening to trade radio

Jack Frost has asked to be traded to Brisbane on a 3 year deal

Yeah heard that.
Was interesting listening to Kane Cornes earlier who reckons Port have 9 players on $500k plus and need to find cap room.

Let's speculate then;

Ryder, Wines, Trengove, Boak, Wingard, Gray, Dixon, Ebert, Hombsch?

Hartlett took ( reportedly ) $200k less p.a. to stay at Port, so I'd think he'd be under $500k. Lobbe, with his 4 year deal, I doubt would be over $500k.

No way would Hombsch be on 500k, when did he last sign a contract? He has only been good for 12 months.
IMO from your list Id take Trengove and Hombsch out and add Hartlett and Lobbe. Lobbe was very highly rated at last contract signing.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 1664 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Grahaml » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:12 pm

Was also thinking that Hartlett and Lobbe might be on the list. But having read Days say it, I'm clearly wrong.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby carey » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:19 pm

Why the F**k would be Hawks want Vickery and for 3 years at that! Wouldn't be in the Hawks best 28!
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Brodlach » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:24 pm

carey wrote:Why the F**k would be Hawks want Vickery and for 3 years at that! Wouldn't be in the Hawks best 28!

Taken a few of these type players over the past few years; Spanger, Fitzpatrick, Frawley and now Vickery.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:33 pm

carey wrote:Why the F**k would be Hawks want Vickery and for 3 years at that! Wouldn't be in the Hawks best 28!

Disagree mate, he is just what we need especially while Roughy is out, Frees up Gunston a bit more
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:35 pm

Grahaml wrote:Was also thinking that Hartlett and Lobbe might be on the list. But having read Days say it, I'm clearly wrong.

Ive forgotten more about football than you will ever learn. Gotta love a Crows fan who knows it all, thats about 99% of you
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:29 pm

Brodlach wrote:

Taken a few of these type players over the past few years; Spanger, Fitzpatrick, Frawley and now Vickery.

Frawley was a big name, big money signing. Hardly the equivalent of the other names there.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby cracka » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:04 pm

Does a players quoted contract include match payments or are they on top of what's reported.
eg when its quoted Eddie Betts is on $550k a year, are match payments on top of that or is that what he gets if he plays 22 games a year.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 463 times
Been liked: 569 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Grahaml » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:15 am

cracka wrote:Does a players quoted contract include match payments or are they on top of what's reported.
eg when its quoted Eddie Betts is on $550k a year, are match payments on top of that or is that what he gets if he plays 22 games a year.

Would surely think that it is a base and that match payments are on top of that. With the rules on minimum spends it would be nigh on unworkable with the nature of injuries. Naitanui is supposedly on 1M, but not heard anyone saying his ACL will free up that cap space for West Coast to splash somewhere. I also suspect that if it was all in match payments then clubs would "overfill" with the expectation not every one of the top 22 highest paid players will play 22 games.

Also I don't see the AFLPA copping the idea that a blokes on 1M a season could lose $50k if he gets dropped or hurt.

From what I've read, it's a flat $3500 match payment to anyone from M. Eagles to L. Franklin. Which makes sense. Completely predictable and you can then also take those payments outside the cap since they'll be equal for every club.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:53 am

Grahaml wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Anyone know what the average wage is these days for an AFL player and how it's calculated?

300k average, more or less.

From what I understand, all player wages are included, so rookies, draftees etc. Match payments seem to be a flat rate across the competition, so whether they count or not it's a bit of a moot point.

Rookies get 55k and draftees are on a sliding scale, although it doesn't drop too quickly. 70k for a first rounder, 60k for a third rounder. Minimum is 80k, give or take.

I personally think anyone on anything close to double the average would have to be considered A grade, or at least A grade potential. If Betts and Hombsch are on the same money, then either Betts is a bargain or Hombsch is getting overs.

Hombsch was purely a speculative guess from me as I don't think Hartlett is over $500k on his new deal. Lobbe is probably the one I thought might be under that mark that would replace Hombsch in my list of so called "9" that Cornes mentioned.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7520 times
Been liked: 10822 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:36 am

Grahaml wrote:
cracka wrote:Does a players quoted contract include match payments or are they on top of what's reported.

Would surely think that it is a base and that match payments are on top of that. With the rules on minimum spends it would be nigh on unworkable with the nature of injuries. Naitanui is supposedly on 1M, but not heard anyone saying his ACL will free up that cap space for West Coast to splash somewhere. I also suspect that if it was all in match payments then clubs would "overfill" with the expectation not every one of the top 22 highest paid players will play 22 games.

Also I don't see the AFLPA copping the idea that a blokes on 1M a season could lose $50k if he gets dropped or hurt.

From what I've read, it's a flat $3500 match payment to anyone from M. Eagles to L. Franklin. Which makes sense. Completely predictable and you can then also take those payments outside the cap since they'll be equal for every club.

Incorrect, most established players are on a set pay packet whether they play or not, they have additional bonuses based on position in B&F, Brownlow, Premiership etc but thats about as simple as it gets. ONly players getting match payments are the rookies and the 1-3 year players.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2334 times
Been liked: 3575 times

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:53 am

Hartlett has spoken to 3 clubs in Melbourne and decided to not seek a trade from Alberton. As a contracted player he cannot be forced into a trade.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:55 am

Booney wrote:Hartlett more likely to end up in a Melbourne club than on the Gold Coast, more likely again to not go anywhere.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL