Port Adelaide 2017

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2017

Postby bennymacca » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:56 pm

So Booney are you saying you are happy with port's depth?

How many 2/3/4th year players look like being genuine stars of the comp? I cant really name one for port since Wines.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby The Bedge » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:04 pm

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Houston and Eddy officially upgraded to the Senior list today..
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3216 times
Been liked: 4124 times

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:11 pm

bennymacca wrote:So Booney are you saying you are happy with port's depth?

How many 2/3/4th year players look like being genuine stars of the comp? I cant really name one for port since Wines.

I'm happy with our current defender and midfield depth, our forward half needs more. From the below list ( see my remarks re age ) I think Pittard, Hombsch, Wingard, Wines, Byrne-Jones and in time Bonner, Howard, Austin and Powell-Pepper are high quality.

Instead of looking at 2/3/4th year players, look at the players age. Monfries and Westhoff are the only players on our list who are 30, Monfries just in January, Westhoff last October. Our list is quite young in the main.

S.Gray, Pittard - 25
Polec, Young, Hombsch - 24
Wingard, Ah Chee - 23
Clurey, Neade, Wines - 22
Austin, Impey , Amon, Byrne-Jones - 21
Howard, Palmer, Bonner - 20
Houston, Snelling, Powell-Pepper, Atley, Drew - 19

What we need, like every club, is your best playing well week in week out. Boak, Wines, Wingard, R.Gray, Ebert, Dixon, Trengove, Ryder all need to be near their best every week and I think only a couple ( R.Gray and Wines ) could lay claim to that over the last 2 years.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7632 times
Been liked: 11100 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:38 pm

The list is young but I don't see many young players other than Wingard wines and hombsch that have the potential to become a graders.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:09 pm

Riley Bonner will
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4301 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:19 pm

bennymacca wrote:The list is young but I don't see many young players other than Wingard wines and hombsch that have the potential to become a graders.

Potential?
Surely Wingard and Wines are already there?
I agree that Hombsch will become an A grader though.......
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2259 times
Been liked: 2597 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:41 pm

Brodlach wrote:Riley Bonner will

still has hardly played, cant really make a call on those lads yet.

Only comparing to the crows because i know their list the best, but we have the likes of Laird, Lever, McGovern, M Crouch, Cameron, Atkins all look like they have the potential to become genuine A graders (not to mention Talia and smith who are already all australians before the age of 25)

I just dont see comparable players in port's list of 20-24 year olds

Bonner and Powell-Pepper look great but they are still 2-4 years away really.

Wingard, Gray and boak are the only all australians in ports team and are the only 3 that have ever been all australian since 2007

So even though Port's team is relatively young, i would have serious concerns about the recruiting department

amber_fluid wrote:Potential?

Wingard looked like he would be one of the best players in the comp a couple of years ago but seems to have dropped off slightly. Injury related? Still has massive improvement left in him imo.

How far do you think wines is away from being all australian? Potentially this year. But i dont think you can call him one of the best mids in the game right now. Just yet.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:46 pm

I think Wines is their most important player this year.
Many would argue that Ryder is but both are very important to any chance they have of playing finals.
Gray is still their best player but Wingard is close behind I'd say from what I've seen.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:47 pm

S.Gray, Pittard - 25
Wingard, Ah Chee - 23

all imo obviously.

you have used that list as cause for optimism but i think its the opposite really.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby stan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:47 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
bennymacca wrote:The list is young but I don't see many young players other than Wingard wines and hombsch that have the potential to become a graders.

Potential?

If Wines could hit a target.....
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1271 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:49 pm

stan wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Potential?

If Wines could hit a target.....

Yeah that's definitely his weakness.......
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:52 pm

bennymacca wrote:S.Gray, Pittard - 25
Wingard, Ah Chee - 23

all imo obviously.

you have used that list as cause for optimism but i think its the opposite really.

Agree with Benny.
If Sam Gray, Young, Ah Chee or Amon play regular footy this year, you ain't playing finals footy!!
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:55 pm

Young is a decent role player. But i dont see too many potential matchwinners in that lot.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:03 pm

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:So Booney are you saying you are happy with port's depth?

I'm happy with our current defender and midfield depth, our forward half needs more. From the below list ( see my remarks re age ) I think Pittard, Hombsch, Wingard, Wines, Byrne-Jones and in time Bonner, Howard, Austin and Powell-Pepper are high quality.

Instead of looking at 2/3/4th year players, look at the players age. Monfries and Westhoff are the only players on our list who are 30, Monfries just in January, Westhoff last October. Our list is quite young in the main.

S.Gray, Pittard - 25
Wingard, Ah Chee - 23

What we need, like every club, is your best playing well week in week out. Boak, Wines, Wingard, R.Gray, Ebert, Dixon, Trengove, Ryder all need to be near their best every week and I think only a couple ( R.Gray and Wines ) could lay claim to that over the last 2 years.

White is 30 next month as well.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:10 pm

bennymacca wrote:S.Gray, Pittard - 25
Wingard, Ah Chee - 23

all imo obviously.

Polec absolutely has the potential to become an A Grade player, but has been dogged by a near career ending injury. Now that he looks (touch wood) back to full fitness on the back of a strong pre-season, I expect him to supersede his 2014 season, where he was a very handy B grader for us. Green for me.

Clurey is absolutely ready to grab the FB role, and I predict will be a big improver for us. Has had an outstanding JLT I think, and whilst he might not fit the physical prototype of the modern day full back, has all the aerobic traits and smart body positioning to succeed. Yellow is fair, but depends on what you are looking for in a FB to determine what quantifies them as an A grade player.

Young might not become an A grader, but will be a solid B grade player for us in that Gus Monfries type role, but better on offense. Kicked 37 goals last year in a side that was rubbish at moving the footy, and even worse at converting F50 entries into goals, and if this season's JLT is anything to go by, is on his way to proving that 2016 was no fluke. Yellow is fair, but 2 or 3 seasons of nigh on 40 goals would make him a more than serviceable small forward. Betts has set the standard there, though- which Young won't reach.

Harsh rating on Austin- was very serviceable as our fullback when we were dogged by injury late last year. Mightn't reach A grade status, but will be a good player for us moving into the future. Not unhappy with his development, considering we drafted him at 68. Yellow for me.

Harsh rating on Impey- I don't think we have seen the best of Jars yet, as he has spent 3 years being exposed to a variety of roles. See Austin- mightn't be an A grader, but I'd rate him a yellow. Has all the physical attributes, just needs to polish the skills. Yellow for me.

Ah Chee is red. He will be gone at seasons end. Struggling to mount a case for Neade also. Will need to add something fairly significant to his game in terms of hitting the scoreboard for him to be considered this season.

Agreed with the rest- either fringe players or too young to assess.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 769 times
Been liked: 1173 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby bennymacca » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:13 pm

yeah a few of those guys are harder for me to assess as i dont watch port as closely as you guys.

My point was, there are very few that I would be genuinely excited about as a port fan.

I think the reason bonner and Powell Pepper are being talked about is more to do with the fact that there are no slightly older breakout candidates that usually get all the attention in a preseason
bennymacca
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:17 pm

Polec is the one player with more upside than anyone on the list
If he can recapture his 2014 form and have that run and carry and deliver back in his game, he will be very important.
I know he has had injuries but he has been harshly treated by Ken and been made the scapegoat for others that should have been dropped before him IMO.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:03 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Riley Bonner will

still has hardly played, cant really make a call on those lads yet.

Only comparing to the crows because i know their list the best, but we have the likes of Laird, Lever, McGovern, M Crouch, Cameron, Atkins all look like they have the potential to become genuine A graders (not to mention Talia and smith who are already all australians before the age of 25)

I just dont see comparable players in port's list of 20-24 year olds

Bonner and Powell-Pepper look great but they are still 2-4 years away really.

Wingard, Gray and boak are the only all australians in ports team and are the only 3 that have ever been all australian since 2007

So even though Port's team is relatively young, i would have serious concerns about the recruiting department

amber_fluid wrote:Potential?

Wingard looked like he would be one of the best players in the comp a couple of years ago but seems to have dropped off slightly. Injury related? Still has massive improvement left in him imo.

How far do you think wines is away from being all australian? Potentially this year. But i dont think you can call him one of the best mids in the game right now. Just yet.

Posted on here just before or just after Rory Laird was drafted that he is a jet and would be probably the best player the Crows drafted that year, I've seen a lot of Bonner and would say he is just below the Laird level so they have got themselves a beauty
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4301 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Spargo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:10 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Polec is the one player with more upside than anyone on the list
If he can recapture his 2014 form and have that run and carry and deliver back in his game, he will be very important.
I know he has had injuries but he has been harshly treated by Ken and been made the scapegoat for others that should have been dropped before him IMO.

Polec :lol: :lol: :lol:
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5706 times
Been liked: 5276 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:25 am

bennymacca wrote:yeah a few of those guys are harder for me to assess as i dont watch port as closely as you guys.

My point was, there are very few that I would be genuinely excited about as a port fan.

I think the reason bonner and Powell Pepper are being talked about is more to do with the fact that there are no slightly older breakout candidates that usually get all the attention in a preseason

I watch a lot of everyone and I think you've over rated Cameron and Atkins, I don't see them as A graders, anywho.

Not many clubs have more than 3 or 4 A graders, it's not possible to have 10 on your list who are in the upper echelon of the AFL. What you want is 5-10 B graders who play their role every week to the best of their ability.

Hawthorn, the most recent measuring stick, guys like Gunston, Puopolo, Breust even Gibson I don't rate as highly as Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne and Lewis, but they do their job every week to their best. Likewise, Port need the likes of Young, Impey, Byrne-Jones, Broadbent etc playing their best. I'm not comparing the Port guys to the Hawks guys, but saying in our system they're the ones who need to be consistently playing at their best to support the top end talent.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7632 times
Been liked: 11100 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL