Carlton

Talk on the national game

Re: Carlton 2015

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:14 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Jase wrote:I wonder if Jim is a little concerned. I seem to remember him saying that Essendon already had enough wins to finish ahead of the Blues...

Only 1 win ahead now and we are playing pretty well...

1 win plus %
Not sure about the playing pretty well bit. Struggled against the worst side in the comp at home, on todays performance you wouldnt of beaten anyone else but us. I think we have 1-2 wins tops left in us, you guys probably the same. Might come down to %. We were ok for about 2 and a half quarters against a very good Hawks side and starting to get a few guys back from injury. A similar effort to yesterday may snare us a win or two. Id still have both of us pencilled in for bottom 4 though, depends who wants the better draft pick ;)

Yep and despite Barker's efforts, he may put the cue in the rack at the behest of the club now. I read that we're after Carlisle, which I think is needed (a big swing man) but at what cost? Judd's retirement will open up salary cap space but hopefully we're not stupid enough to give up too much/any kids/any talent like we have in the past.

I don't mind if we lose most games from here in. My point has been proven and the club has rectified it's mistake from the previous three years by moving on Mick. We're on the way up now, as long as don't try and bring in an "old" head again, I can see a bright-ish future. As long as we keep progressing, that's all I'm worried about. Not getting flogged by 100 points every week will do that ;-)
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Jase » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:16 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Jase wrote:I wonder if Jim is a little concerned. I seem to remember him saying that Essendon already had enough wins to finish ahead of the Blues...

1 win plus %
Not sure about the playing pretty well bit. Struggled against the worst side in the comp at home, on todays performance you wouldnt of beaten anyone else but us. I think we have 1-2 wins tops left in us, you guys probably the same. Might come down to %. We were ok for about 2 and a half quarters against a very good Hawks side and starting to get a few guys back from injury. A similar effort to yesterday may snare us a win or two. Id still have both of us pencilled in for bottom 4 though, depends who wants the better draft pick ;)

Just mucking around... will be a close run thing though I reckon....
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1501 times
Been liked: 563 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:17 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

1 win plus %

Yep and despite Barker's efforts, he may put the cue in the rack at the behest of the club now. I read that we're after Carlisle, which I think is needed (a big swing man) but at what cost? Judd's retirement will open up salary cap space but hopefully we're not stupid enough to give up too much/any kids/any talent like we have in the past.

I don't mind if we lose most games from here in. My point has been proven and the club has rectified it's mistake from the previous three years by moving on Mick. We're on the way up now, as long as don't try and bring in an "old" head again, I can see a bright-ish future. As long as we keep progressing, that's all I'm worried about. Not getting flogged by 100 points every week will do that ;-)

Carlisle will be with us or the Dogs IMO.
Will cost a first rounder for him seems the general consesus from the experts. Think you would only chase him if Henderson goes.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3568 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:21 pm

bennymacca wrote:Hehe, look at all the Carlton supporters up and about :D

So you should be though, look a lot better than a month ago.

Still dont think your list in general is very average, but at least they seem to be playing with a bit of freedom

Dunno about "all" the Carlton supporters, but I'm so up and about I'm pogo sticking around the loungeroom on my old fella!

Seriously, why wouldn't we? Our list IS very average. We know that. We still don't have a crumbing forward, nor any key defenders other than a Norwood forward! Our ruckman was a Collingwood reject and our most highly paid player is sitting on the sideline. Our best player retired and our leading goalkicker is a bloke who can't kick!

Three weeks ago we couldn't tackle, our leaders were ridiculed and we couldn't hit the side of a barn. Barks at least has given us supporters some hope!
gadj1976
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:28 pm

gadj1976 wrote:

Still dont think your list in general is very average, but at least they seem to be playing with a bit of freedom

Dunno about "all" the Carlton supporters, but I'm so up and about I'm pogo sticking around the loungeroom on my old fella!

Seriously, why wouldn't we? Our list IS very average. We know that. We still don't have a crumbing forward, nor any key defenders other than a Norwood forward! Our ruckman was a Collingwood reject and our most highly paid player is sitting on the sideline. Our best player retired and our leading goalkicker is a bloke who can't kick!

Three weeks ago we couldn't tackle, our leaders were ridiculed and we couldn't hit the side of a barn. Barks at least has given us supporters some hope!

you had two pretty decent ones last year :D
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:32 pm

Jim05 wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

1 win plus %

Carlisle will be with us or the Dogs IMO.
Will cost a first rounder for him seems the general consesus from the experts. Think you would only chase him if Henderson goes.

Nup, we need another tall. If Henderson goes, we'll need two talls at least. Between Jaksch and Watson they were supposed to be the third talls in defence and that hasn't worked for us yet. Watson will more than likely go at year's end. Warnock is out of contract, so that will free up 400k too - providing we don't do something really stupid and re-contract him. So we'll need another backman for sure. I can't see Carlisle being used as a forward, given his recent experiences up there.

And we'll have room to move in the salary cap I'd imagine too. Not that I'm for paying him 6 or 700k a year mind you! I have to say, he looks a bit lost at the moment up forward. Initially I liked Hurley up forward and him down back for you, but now I think the complete opposite!

First rounder........sheesh.... if I'd only gone to that extra footy clinic when I was a kid.....
gadj1976
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:33 pm

bennymacca wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

Yeh, thanks again Mick (ya ****)......

Oh, what am I saying, we've got Daisy instead (roll eyes)

you had two pretty decent ones last year :D
gadj1976
Coach

Postby stan » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:56 am

Ruck wise you have a problem. You best ruckmen currently plays for Adelaide and Kruzer is still finding his feet after a long lay off. Also will he be able to stay on the park?

Wood competes at least. He has limtied ability but really as a backup ruckmen he is ok, unfortunately he has had to shoulder the load which is beyond him.

So I would say Warnock will be gone and Carlton will look to draft in a young ruck. Hoping Kruzer can stay fit amd Wood to be that backup.

Also Casibolts kicking has improved of late. I reckon he has plenty to offer. Cripps is a ripping young player, Menzel looks good just hoping he stays fit.

Bi of doom but not all gloom perhaps. Lots of work needed but perhaps he light at the end of the tunel isnt a train.....

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Tapatalk
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1256 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:43 pm

Gibbs, looks like he's gone for the year
Denis, looks like he's gone for the year

Interesting times for the guys who think their career is on the line currently playing for the magoos.

Something the AFL haven't quite got right (and won't) is that teams down the bottom, with lowly ressies, will get far worse at season's end, despite what contrived draw you bring to the table.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:47 pm

gadj1976 wrote:Gibbs, looks like he's gone for the year

Interesting times for the guys who think their career is on the line currently playing for the magoos.

Something the AFL haven't quite got right (and won't) is that teams down the bottom, with lowly ressies, will get far worse at season's end, despite what contrived draw you bring to the table.

Our ressies were top last week, hasnt helped us.
Jim05
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:56 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Sorry Jim, wasn't talking about you.

You are in a whole OTHER world of pain.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:04 am

gadj1976 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

No but the ressies has hardly any co-relation to how the league side is travelling. Dogs ressies won it last year and Melbourne's ressies are often around finals. Richmonds ressies are nearly bottom, its pretty meaningless due to the large anmount of top up players each side uses.
Jim05
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:18 am

Jim05 wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

No but the ressies has hardly any co-relation to how the league side is travelling. Dogs ressies won it last year and Melbourne's ressies are often around finals. Richmonds ressies are nearly bottom, its pretty meaningless due to the large anmount of top up players each side uses.

Didn't say that.

I'm not talking about 'team' here, I'm talking about individuals who are playing for another contract.

On top of that, is that teams also put their cue in the rack. So if you're playing the ressies but might be in need of a post season op, the club will send them in rather than promote them, meaning less depth in the lowly ranked clubs. Our club is in great need of a good pre-season, and a top up of good draft picks to even start thinking we could be competitive next year.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:25 am

I think you guys need a couple of good years of drafting, with uncompromised drafts the bottom clubs can get some decent picks over the next few years. Still think you are 4-5 years away from finals but should improve next year
Jim05
Coach

Postby marbles » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:30 am

Jim05 wrote:I think you guys need a couple of good years of drafting, with uncompromised drafts the bottom clubs can get some decent picks over the next few years. Still think you are 4-5 years away from finals but should improve next year

4 or 5 years? :)
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:53 am

Jim05 wrote:I think you guys need a couple of good years of drafting, with uncompromised drafts the bottom clubs can get some decent picks over the next few years. Still think you are 4-5 years away from finals but should improve next year

no doubt! We also need our spine to stabilise and have some consistent footy together. Having Jamo on the park for more than 2 minutes this season would be a bonus. Having he AND Rowe on the park together would be a great benefit as well.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:29 am

marbles wrote:

Thats at minimum. Things change pretty quickly with a few decent drafts, there is always a bolter like the Dogs this year. Carlton wont be a flag threat for many seasons but they could push for 7th or 8th in the next 4-5 years
Jim05
Coach

Postby marbles » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:20 am

Jim05 wrote:
marbles wrote:

Thats at minimum. Things change pretty quickly with a few decent drafts, there is always a bolter like the Dogs this year. Carlton wont be a flag threat for many seasons but they could push for 7th or 8th in the next 4-5 years

an opinion on carlton from a vindictive essendon supporter :)
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby Jim05 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:24 am

marbles wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
marbles wrote:

Well Carlton are 5 years closer to finals than us :(
Jim05
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:04 pm

marbles wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
marbles wrote:

so you think carlton are closer than 4-5 years away?

Compare them with other teams outside the eight - I would say the only team they are ahead of is probably essendon. Teams like St Kilda are way ahead in terms of development
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL