Port Adelaide 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2015

Postby Failed Creation » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:38 am

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:Hinkley could be made to look the fool if this Cornes move goes wrong

Round 3

0-2

Harvey goes on to kick 2-3 goals 30 possies beats a couple of opponents and bang this could blow up

Obviously no Dal Santo has had a big impact on this but Hinkley will be praying a kangas midfielder doesn't put in a blinder

Kane has never had the turn of speed to go with Harvey, it's why he cuts us up every time we play the Roos, we've never had a match up for him.

I gave Kane a nod of acknowledgment last week, while Hannebery had 28, Kane had 25 and worked harder than some of the other mids. He hasn't been rested, he's been dropped to give Ah Chee a start, who deserves his chance.

On that, what great footage from inside the walls of Alberton. The noise when the lads see he's going to play his first game is spine tingling.

Videos like that always bring a tear to my eye. Imagine the pride the bloke must feel, especially given that he could barely get a game in the reserves a year ago...
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 615 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby JK » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:14 am

Great write up Valleys as always!!

Almost felt that Jonas was a bit out of sorts after copping a knock .. As always he has a heart the size of Phar Lap and battled on admirably.

Broadbent was huge, his run and ball use is a delight to watch.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4470 times
Been liked: 3012 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby valleys07 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:22 am

JK wrote:Great write up Valleys as always!!

Almost felt that Jonas was a bit out of sorts after copping a knock .. As always he has a heart the size of Phar Lap and battled on admirably.

Cheers JK!

Great point re. Jonas, I completely forgot about that knock in the first quarter. Probably explains why Thomas got the better of him- as I can't recall too many occasions where Jonas has had 4 kicked on him.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 769 times
Been liked: 1173 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Footy Smart » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:37 am

valleys07 wrote:
JK wrote:Great write up Valleys as always!!

Cheers JK!

Great point re. Jonas, I completely forgot about that knock in the first quarter. Probably explains why Thomas got the better of him- as I can't recall too many occasions where Jonas has had 4 kicked on him.

How North Let Broadbent run around all day is beyond me. He was the difference IMO.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:08 am

Great write up again valleys.

The keys for mine were Broadbent, Hartlett, Pittard had 75 touches between them. Sydney and Fremantle rode two of the three, for some reason the Roos didn't touch any of them for nearly 3 quarters.

Gray and Boak had 15 clearances, 8 in the last quarter between them. Young had 8. While we'll miss Wines, Young is ready to step into his place.

Mitchell was excellent on Gibson. Gibson had 24 at 3/4 time, 28 at the end of the match while Mitchell had 8 last 1/4 touches and a goal. Very important.

Westhoff had a better night, 6 tackles important, 1 resulted in a goal. He looks to be slowly building. Schulz was excellent, 4 goals, 6 tackles and pressure was up.

Ebert was my best, 22 touches at 86%, 5 tackles, 5 clearances and 3 goals. He works harder than anyone and has had just rewards being in our best all three matches to date. Might just be ready to take the step from good to very good.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7634 times
Been liked: 11100 times

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:00 am

Interesting stat on Talking Footy last night. Well, I thought it was interesting anyway.

Looking at the last 17 games played ( and not that it really is a reflection of much other than a statistician with a boner ) Port are 7 wins 10 losses. The ladder demonstrating this had Port "11th" over those 17 games.

What was not highlighted is of the 10 losses, 2 to Hawthorn, 2 to Sydney, 2 to Fremantle and one each to Adelaide and North.

A pretty fair assessment of where I see us at the moment, ahead of plenty, just behind the top 2-3.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:06 am

yeah that seems like more of a reflection of a very good early season draw last year and a few injuries in the back half combined with playing better teams.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby JK » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:59 am

Question for Port fans, do the club ever use Tom Jonas for midfield run-with roles?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:29 pm

JK wrote:Question for Port fans, do the club ever use Tom Jonas for midfield run-with roles?

Not that I recall. He has been given roles on forwards that have gotten away from their initial opponent (Tex Walker in Showdown 34(?) springs to mind).

I wonder if Ken took a little out of Saturday night, with the idea that Kane Mitchell could become that run with player. Certainly has the tank and can find the footy, its a matter of tightening up that defensive aspect of his game. Was very good on Gibson. Wouldn't see him on a GAJ or Fyfe, as I think these types of players require a focus to render their possessions ineffective, rather than a complete blanketing.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:30 pm

JK wrote:Question for Port fans, do the club ever use Tom Jonas for midfield run-with roles?

Perhaps, Tom Clurey is making a strong case for AFL selection as that third/fourth mid/tall defender, it could release TJ into the midfield. One thing for sure, he has the legs and the mental application to do so.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:37 pm

Booney wrote:

Perhaps, Tom Clurey is making a strong case for AFL selection as that third/fourth mid/tall defender, it could release TJ into the midfield. One thing for sure, he has the legs and the mental application to do so.

Absolutely, and he has the mongrel to perform that type of role that Vince did on Dangerfield. I know it's only SANFL level, but he used to carve Scott Lewis when deployed that way, and I vaguely recall him keeping Luke Hodge to something like 7 possessions in a half in his early days at Ports.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:40 pm

Without Kornes who does the tagging now?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby carey » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:42 pm

bennymacca wrote:Without Kornes who does the tagging now?

Your not allowed to tag now, You ask Poor little Patrick. ;)

Kane will be the tagger.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2804 times
Been liked: 2994 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby bennymacca » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:44 pm

Glad to see you trolling every single thread Carey, it's heaps funny and not at all tiresome.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby carey » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:49 pm

Thanks Benny your feedback, Makes my day I sit here just waiting for your approval.

I'm happy now.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2804 times
Been liked: 2994 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Grahaml » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:59 pm

Not sure true taggers have a permanent spot in the modern game. It might work on some fairly notable occasions but the point has been made lately that all it really does is make you play with one less midfielder. The players are so good defensively and so much work is done that even the star ball winners these days play both ways. Personally, I don't think Port can play Ebert and Cornes in the same side. Both in my opinion need 20+ touches to be effective and I just don't think you can have 2 poor ball users getting that much of it. Both are fine footballers, no doubt. But I think one of those spots needs to go to someone with a bit more class with ball in hand. Out of the two, Ebert is more effective. He runs and carries well, finds space outside nicely and has a bit more presence in a contest.

Having said that, Wines missing might hurt. I don't think there's any coincidence that when he came in Port's midfield clicked nicely. Blokes who can win it and get it out well are super hard to replace. Those skilful outside blokes that kids put on their walls don't look half as good when the tough inside guys aren't there to win the ball out to them. Robbie Gray also isn't quite having the influence of last season. Still above average but now opposition sides will be making him a greater focus but someone needs to step up to replace that output. This will be a strong test for Port. 1-2, a few tough games and a few questions. If they come out of this with their heads above water then the second half of the year looks fruitful. 1-5 after the West Coast game though and Port might just find out what Ken Hinkley is made of.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby valleys07 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:02 pm

An update on Lobbe:

PORT Adelaide still doesn't know whether star ruckman Matthew Lobbe will finally return to its line-up for Saturday night's Anzac Day clash against Hawthorn. Lobbe is yet to play a game this season after injuring his quad just before round one. The loss of Ollie Wines to a wrist injury only intensifies Lobbe's value for the Power - the ruckman led Port for tackles last season and Wines had picked up considerable slack in his absence. Wines will miss up to six weeks after dislocating his wrist against North Melbourne. Lobbe will undergo yet another fitness test at Adelaide Oval on Wednesday night ahead of the club's selection meeting on Thursday. The key big man has been impressive on the training track but skipper Travis Boak couldn't guarantee Lobbe would play at the weekend. "I saw him running around on Monday and he looked really, really good," Boak said. "At this stage he's progressing pretty well but he’ll just have to get through tonight and see what happens from there." The loss of Wines was further compounded by the suspension of his most likely replacement in Andrew Moore. Even if Port's appeal against Moore's three-week ban for touching an SANFL umpire is successful, it remains highly unlikely he'd be available to play against the Hawks. But Boak insisted the club had other options, praising the performances of Aaron Young and debutant Brendon Ah Chee last weekend. Young collected 18 possessions, kicked two goals and laid 10 tackles, while Ah Chee – a similar build to Wines – was impressive when subbed on in the final term. "It is a big loss but we've spoken in the past about (the fact) our team's not just one player and certainly we'll look to replace Ollie as well as we can," Boak said. "'Youngy' played a fantastic game on the weekend, Brendon Ah Chee is certainly in the same mould as Ollie, same body shape, and really cracks in. "The way he came on in that last quarter was exactly what we needed from him but he's right to go for a full game if needed. "We've got guys who can come in and help replace Ollie, probably not to that level, but certainly in the way we want to play our brand of footy."

valleys07
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:13 pm

Paddy will secretly be hoping Lobbe doesnt come back. Plays excellant football when he is the number 1 ruck
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1128 times
Been liked: 3654 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Grahaml » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:54 pm

I think Port need Ryder up forward. If Lobbe can let him do that, Port are a better side IMHO.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby stan » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:35 am

Grahaml wrote:I think Port need Ryder up forward. If Lobbe can let him do that, Port are a better side IMHO.

Not sure about that. Ryder was very good last week on his own.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1271 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL