AFL - Round 1 - general discussion (and live scores)

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL - Round 1 - general discussion (and live scores)

Postby RustyCage » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:05 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
RustyCage wrote:
Ron Burgundy wrote:Doesn't matter where you play, the ball has to be kicked at some stage. Has more chance of kicking a goal from 10m than kicking a bullet pass to Schulz on the lead.

He can take a mark though, and a good competitor. He reminds me of Ian Perrie actually.

He is a great kick when not kicking for goal

I dare say you can't be a great kick when you drop the ball and hope for the best.

When around the ground he just kicks it normally, no crappy ball drop
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby RustyCage » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:11 pm

kneedeepinthehoopla wrote:
RustyCage wrote:
Ron Burgundy wrote:Doesn't matter where you play, the ball has to be kicked at some stage. Has more chance of kicking a goal from 10m than kicking a bullet pass to Schulz on the lead.

He can take a mark though, and a good competitor. He reminds me of Ian Perrie actually.

He is a great kick when not kicking for goal

Is that enough when he's picked as a forward?
I'm a pretty handy batsman in the nets...

No it's not enough. I don't think he should be selected this week
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:11 pm

Butchers still a better kick than me. I had a career tally of 1 goal 13 points. :oops:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:15 pm

RustyCage wrote:No it's not enough. I don't think he should be selected this week

I agree. I think he needs a bag of 5 or more at SANFL level before coming back into the side.

However, I'm not an AFL coach and clearly Hinkley has a good handle on how the side needs to be balanced. With Schulz close to goal and Westhoff high up the ground it is clear Hinkley feels Butcher as the third tall is required. Mason Shaw will be very keen to impress early.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:24 pm

the second tall forward is probably the biggest weakness at port i would think.

the hoff could play there but i think we can all agree he is much better as a floating wingman / link man type role, which he undoubtedly is in your top couple of players when doing that role, and can still go forward and kick goals when doing that.

who else on the list is there? stewart? he is pretty rubbish too. anyone else? dont know the depths of the port list that well. cant even really think of any young tall forwards.

another 50 goal tall forward in there to help out schultz, and then with gray and the hoff getting 30-40 each, and port are almost a top 4 team.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby scoob » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:31 pm

bennymacca wrote:the second tall forward is probably the biggest weakness at port i would think.

the hoff could play there but i think we can all agree he is much better as a floating wingman / link man type role, which he undoubtedly is in your top couple of players when doing that role, and can still go forward and kick goals when doing that.

who else on the list is there? stewart? he is pretty rubbish too. anyone else? dont know the depths of the port list that well. cant even really think of any young tall forwards.

another 50 goal tall forward in there to help out schultz, and then with gray and the hoff getting 30-40 each, and port are almost a top 4 team.

I can't believe they didnt have a look at Mckernan seeing as though he was shopped about last trade period.
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:33 pm

even though he is a spud too, i think he is less of a spud than butcher, and can help lobbe out in the ruck too
bennymacca
Coach

Postby scoob » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:34 pm

Whoops sorry forgot to put the ;) at the end
scoob
Veteran

Postby bennymacca » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:36 pm

scoob wrote:Whoops sorry forgot to put the ;) at the end

lol.

well he would definitely still be better than butcher :D

reckon there's a chance he gets a game ahead of jenkins in R1 too, his pre season form was pretty good
bennymacca
Coach

Postby scoob » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:39 pm

bennymacca wrote:

lol.

reckon there's a chance he gets a game ahead of jenkins in R1 too, his pre season form was pretty good

Doesn't bode too well for the camrys if he is in the side.

Butcher may be the worst AFL player - Mckernan is the dumbest.............. by streets.
scoob
Veteran

Postby bennymacca » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:45 pm

scoob wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

lol.

Doesn't bode too well for the camrys if he is in the side.

Butcher may be the worst AFL player - Mckernan is the dumbest.............. by streets.

he is only the dumbest because brett burton, james sellar, ian perrie arent in our team anymore

but yes, mckernan is the sort of player that does something magic once every 10 times he goes near the ball, that makes you think he could be the best forward in the AFL, but no one, including him, knows how he managed to do it. the other 9 times are herpaderp
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:53 pm

bennymacca wrote:the second tall forward is probably the biggest weakness at port i would think.

It's Schulz....

I'm glad you acknowledged your own lack of knowledge :D Stewart plays forward but not as a "tall". Sure, he is not a "small" but plays (for your insular purposes) similar to Andy Otten. Running mid size who plays more tall than small, but can play small. Stewart will be very important as the third "at home" forward when he returns. He, like Schulz, is more at home inside 50 than outside, IMO.

Ports list of tall forward is a little slim, probably our weakness at the moment, thus Butcher being given the opportunities he has.

Mason Shaw is developing nicely, I expect him to have a solid season at SANFL level. He's a big lump of a lad and looks very promising. Mitch Harvey (recruited from North Adelaide this year) has also impressed in trials, he reportedly was one of the first year players at the Richmond "Showdown" who looked comfortable.

I'm surprised Port didn't chase Jessie White harder, although I think he may have made Melbourne his favoured destination early in his free agent negotiations.

McKernan is mug and you can keep him.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:54 pm

bennymacca wrote:he is only the dumbest because brett burton, james sellar, ian perrie arent in our team anymore

:shock:

You watch lots of Adelaide over the years then?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:59 pm

Booney wrote:

It's Schulz....

I'm glad you acknowledged your own lack of knowledge :D Stewart plays forward but not as a "tall". Sure, he is not a "small" but plays (for your insular purposes) similar to Andy Otten. Running mid size who plays more tall than small, but can play small. Stewart will be very important as the third "at home" forward when he returns. He, like Schulz, is more at home inside 50 than outside, IMO.

Ports list of tall forward is a little slim, probably our weakness at the moment, thus Butcher being given the opportunities he has.

Mason Shaw is developing nicely, I expect him to have a solid season at SANFL level. He's a big lump of a lad and looks very promising. Mitch Harvey (recruited from North Adelaide this year) has also impressed in trials, he reportedly was one of the first year players at the Richmond "Showdown" who looked comfortable.

I'm surprised Port didn't chase Jessie White harder, although I think he may have made Melbourne his favoured destination early in his free agent negotiations.

thanks for being a dick booney, appreciated. i was talking about daniel stewart, turns out he got delisted at the end of last year.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby scoob » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:01 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:

It's Schulz....

thanks for being a dick booney, appreciated. i was talking about daniel stewart, turns out he got delisted at the end of last year.

He can't help it macca.
scoob
Veteran

Postby Ron Burgundy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:02 pm

What's your thoughts on your backs Booney?

I think if you keep all of your first picked forwards on the field, and Butcher can at least compete and bring the ball down to your top quality crumbers then Port can kick a score. Last year Port only kicked 100 points against four teams, but I think they can do better this year.

I think for Port to get to September it is more about the scores they can restrict rather than the score they kick. We know at their best Port have some real attacking weapons.
Ron Burgundy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:04 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:

It's Schulz....

So I'm a dick for having a crack at your lack of knowledge, only to find you're talking about a bloke who was delisted last year.

Well, I apologise. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:05 pm

scoob wrote:He can't help it macca.

I don't even have to try either! :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:15 pm

Ron Burgundy wrote:What's your thoughts on your backs Booney?

I think if you keep all of your first picked forwards on the field, and Butcher can at least compete and bring the ball down to your top quality crumbers then Port can kick a score. Last year Port only kicked 100 points against four teams, but I think they can do better this year.

I think for Port to get to September it is more about the scores they can restrict rather than the score they kick. We know at their best Port have some real attacking weapons.

Our back half is strong, I think we are fine for backs. Carlile and Trengove are the key talls (both with years ahead of them ) then the likes Jonas, Hombsch, Clurey, O'Shea, Pittard, can take the third opposition mid/tall while White, Impey ( who was really impressive on Sunday night ) Colquhoun, Stevenson, Logan and Heath all being able to play back on smalls. So can Harlett, Broadbent and Cassisi if required. Westhoff as the floating loose man when the need arrises. No issues there.

As we all know, midfield pressure is the key to the back 6 working well.

I'd like to see one of either Clurey or Jonas tried forward. Jonas is very versatile, he kept Murphy of Carlton to little impact in the third quarter on Sunday night. Backs are fine.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Ron Burgundy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:41 pm

Trengove has a nice bit of mongrel in him.
Carlile is 27 next month, and hasn't got much improvement left in him. Generally he is serviceable but no world beater.

I see Pittard as more of a wing than a half back in time. If you put him and danyle pearce in a room they would dodge each others shadows for days. Doesn't like a tackle. Can use the ball though.

I was impressed with Jonas and Impey on the weekend. On first look Impey has something special, and looks to be a good user.

With the exception of Hartlett (who is A grade) most of the other guys are either developing or just good triers. I agree with the midfield comment though, that makes life easier and that is what the Hoff is so good at. He and Carlile can work well together in this regard.

I agree they are fine, but it isn't a strong back 6 that goes too far into September .
Ron Burgundy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 137 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL