Confabulate upon Round 12

Talk on the national game

Re: Confabulate upon Round 12

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:34 pm

Wedgie wrote:How much of a legend is Max Gawn, how could anyone not love him?

My love for him diminished after he dominated us last year, but is a cult figure for the Dees
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11997 times
Been liked: 3666 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:19 pm

Reports that Bennell has been partying back on the Gold Coast whilst he is meant to be doing rehab in Perth to get over his injury
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3573 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:06 am

MW wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Heading to Roos/Cats Sat night and Saints/Carlton on Sunday, thought that game was going to be a dud when planning the trip in the pre-season.

I think you're still right Dutchy

Both games duds!

Didn;t get into Saints/Carlton until halfway thru 2nd 1/4 :evil: then had standing room only tickets, OK for me but not great for the kids, was good standing with the Carlton fans though, god they are entertaining when their team plays shit :lol:

Should have gone to Richmond/GCS at the G as that was the original plan...

On another point, it was the first time for 3 years we have driven to Melbourne and the roads are fantastic now on both sides of the border, got there comfortably in 8 hours with a half hour break, Im sure years back it used to take 9-10 hours, more dual highway and overtaking lanes.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2352 times
Been liked: 3633 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:45 pm

Dutchy wrote:On another point, it was the first time for 3 years we have driven to Melbourne and the roads are fantastic now on both sides of the border, got there comfortably in 8 hours with a half hour break, Im sure years back it used to take 9-10 hours, more dual highway and overtaking lanes.

Pretty poop 100km/h zone for a large portion of the journey though I thought.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4351 times
Been liked: 7956 times

Postby saintal » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:51 pm

Agree on the roads Dutchy. Went to Ballarat a month or so back and the roads on the Vic side of the border have really improved, great to have an extra lane for some it now and the 110 limit.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 433 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:59 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dutchy wrote:On another point, it was the first time for 3 years we have driven to Melbourne and the roads are fantastic now on both sides of the border, got there comfortably in 8 hours with a half hour break, Im sure years back it used to take 9-10 hours, more dual highway and overtaking lanes.

Yeah but its improving with the dual highway this side of Ballarat now, apparently it will go all the way to Stawell eventually.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2352 times
Been liked: 3633 times

Postby JK » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:03 pm

Dutchy wrote:was good standing with the Carlton fans though, god they are entertaining when their team plays shit :lol:

Went to the 99' GF with a mate and pretty much played through from the night before - Standing up the back at the G chewing through the froff's and the Carlton supporters were brilliant entertainment.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:07 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Yeah but its improving with the dual highway this side of Ballarat now, apparently it will go all the way to Stawell eventually.

Correct, I drove to Melbourne last May ( 2015 ) and again this year in April. The improvements were very noticeable.

From Ararat to Ballarat you can see the progress, from Ballarat to Melbourne is excellent. Indeed it does change the drive, I used to say 9 hours from the Toll Gate here to Deer Park/Sunshine ( the start of the 'burbs ) there. That's now 8 I reckon.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7541 times
Been liked: 10870 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:20 pm

Still hard to justify when you can fly there for $60 and be there in just over an hour.
I did drive in 2011to the Grand Final, the roads were good then and much better than when we used to drive all the time in the 90s before flight prices came crashing down.
Ita great these days how there's virtually no lights all the way to the CBD compared to the old days of coming slowly through the western suburbs.

Off to Melbourne next month but will not see any footy (including a Geelong v Bulldogs game) as I'll be there for the soccer! Flying again though, too cheap and convenient to resist.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2065 times
Been liked: 3928 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:29 pm

Yep, flights are clearly the way to go, however, this can depend on the reason for the visit and the amount of people going.

In April we all went over, so 4 of us with flights, a week in Melbourne etc was quite high. With a company funded vehicle the fuel cost me nothing, it was just the time. We all had the week off ( school holidays ) so a day there and a day back was no great loss. All good fun when it's a family road trip too. No Wally World though... :( ;)

When I go with junior in a few weeks for the footy we'll fly, we don't need a car there and it's just the two of us. No brainer.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:36 pm

Booney wrote:Yep, flights are clearly the way to go, however, this can depend on the reason for the visit and the amount of people going.

In April we all went over, so 4 of us with flights, a week in Melbourne etc was quite high. With a company funded vehicle the fuel cost me nothing, it was just the time. We all had the week off ( school holidays ) so a day there and a day back was no great loss. All good fun when it's a family road trip too. No Wally World though... :( ;)

When I go with junior in a few weeks for the footy we'll fly, we don't need a car there and it's just the two of us. No brainer.

Exactly, I always have two kids in tow, being a single parent I am poor so that $60 turns into $360 plus hire car/public transport etc.
Plus eye spy is boring in a plane and we don't get half an hour of jokes about Arrarat.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:54 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:Yep, flights are clearly the way to go, however, this can depend on the reason for the visit and the amount of people going.

Exactly, I always have two kids in tow, being a single parent I am poor so that $60 turns into $360 plus hire car/public transport etc.
Plus eye spy is boring in a plane and we don't get half an hour of jokes about Arrarat.

:lol:

$60 is an excellent fare and one that you don't get too often ( unless you go to Avalon @carey ) so it's more like $90-110 each way * 3 = $600+

When it's a tank there, a tank back and one in between it's under $200 and the time.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby carey » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:56 pm

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

:lol:

$60 is an excellent fare and one that you don't get too often ( unless you go to Avalon @carey ) so it's more like $90-110 each way * 3 = $600+

When it's a tank there, a tank back and one in between it's under $200 and the time.

Why most you continue to mock me Boon??? :oops: ;)
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:20 pm

Yeah true, horses for courses.
We had to drive most weeks of the finals as you couldn't book flights when you might not be playing the next week.
I don't miss the scary Koala though :P
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2065 times
Been liked: 3928 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:28 pm

Dadswell Bridge, who thought that thing was a good idea? :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:38 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Isn't Public Transport in Melbourne free? ;)
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 748 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:40 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

As far as I can tell, yes. 8)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby westozfalcon » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:36 pm

Jim05 wrote:Reports that Bennell has been partying back on the Gold Coast whilst he is meant to be doing rehab in Perth to get over his injury

The combination of his long-term injury and ill discipline leads me to predict that he'll never play another game for Freo.
westozfalcon
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:25 pm

westozfalcon wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Reports that Bennell has been partying back on the Gold Coast whilst he is meant to be doing rehab in Perth to get over his injury

The combination of his long-term injury and ill discipline leads me to predict that he'll never play another game for Freo.

Would be nice if he played a game to begin with.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 452 times
Been liked: 1229 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:17 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:

I have no idea, if I was to do it again though I'd drive to Ballarat, train it from there and walk to the G from the Southern Cross Station.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL