Crows 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Crows 2015

Postby Footy Smart » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:18 am

Booney wrote:With Jenkins CHF, Walker FF and Betts as full time forwards and a resting mid down there, along with Lynch and Cameron (although I think once some attention is paid to him, he might struggle - much like Jake Neade) there might not be room for Pods.

I think Adelaide will look seriously at the two ruck combo with Lowden providing a forward target and ruck relief. With Talia bound up* in defence, he won't be able to play that third man up role, so will need more height around him. Enter Jacobs/Lowden.

Yeah 2 rucks is an option, i think there was an article a while back on the 2 ruckman set up coming back into the game. so could well happen.
While betts is in the side Charlie will have a bit of room to move but understand what you are saying. In the end if he kicks a goal a game but has 10 inside 50 pressure acts and a goal assist then he probably does his job as that second small FWD.

This team defence tactic which keeps getting talked about may very well change our structure and personnel. It may as I think you ve pointed out boon put pressure on Thommo with his 2 way running and lack of pace.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:22 am

i still reckon they could play jenkins at CHB. if lynch is fit and firing that would take pressure off jenkins to help out tex, and that would also allow room for lowden to play as the second tall and resting ruck.

jenkins played there a couple of times during the year for short periods and i didnt mind it. very mobile. the problem will be that they try to drag him to the goal square as i think he would be much worse one on one than talia, but I'm sure they can work through that.

at worst i can see jenkins being the swing man instead of pods

also agree regarding thommo, he may well be too slow to regularly play midfield. reckon he will play a lot more forward this year. of course the opposition will try and put their rebounding flanker on him but thats where cameron would come in
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:26 am

Agreed.

I expect Dangerfield to be used forward more often as well, his ball winning ability and attack on body and ball at ground level will create scoring opportunities. Plus he can play that mid tall role that someone like Hendersen or Otten can. With Otten out, Hendersen will be the swing man in defence. If his contract is still open ( as I think it will be ) come mid season, I think Walsh will quickly "read the tea leaves" and put midfield time into Crouch, Smith, etc.

With the running demands put on the on ball brigade the big lumbering blokes like Jacobs, Goldstein, Hale etc will need more support in transition and throughout a long season. Thus Lowden is a real shot to play more often at AFL level than SANFL IMO.

For instance, Port will have Lobbe, Ryder and Westhoff to ruck with. Jacobs, albeit dominant over Lobbe in recent times, unable to shoulder that on his own, surely.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:30 am

off topic, but ryder is going to be massive for port this season, for the reasons you mentioned. will make lobbe more effective because he might only ruck 70% instead of 90%. could be the missing link in a premiership team imo

and yeah dangerfield was a bit too inside last year. whilst that was good, it meant he didnt hurt teams as much as he has in other seasons. he needs to be receiving more often than extracting. 20 touches and 4 goals on a half forward flank is much more valuable to the crows than 40 touches given our lack of classy outside run, which dangerfield can perform if used correctly
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:30 pm

bennymacca wrote:off topic, but ryder is going to be massive for port this season, for the reasons you mentioned. will make lobbe more effective because he might only ruck 70% instead of 90%. could be the missing link in a premiership team imo

and yeah dangerfield was a bit too inside last year. whilst that was good, it meant he didnt hurt teams as much as he has in other seasons. he needs to be receiving more often than extracting. 20 touches and 4 goals on a half forward flank is much more valuable to the crows than 40 touches given our lack of classy outside run, which dangerfield can perform if used correctly

No point him shoveling it out over his head if nobody is there...( or if he hasn't looked to see if anyone is there )
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:20 pm

bennymacca wrote:i still reckon they could play jenkins at CHB. if lynch is fit and firing that would take pressure off jenkins to help out tex, and that would also allow room for lowden to play as the second tall and resting ruck.

jenkins played there a couple of times during the year for short periods and i didnt mind it. very mobile. the problem will be that they try to drag him to the goal square as i think he would be much worse one on one than talia, but I'm sure they can work through that.

also agree regarding thommo, he may well be too slow to regularly play midfield. reckon he will play a lot more forward this year. of course the opposition will try and put their rebounding flanker on him but thats where cameron would come in

Did you see how petulant Jenkins was during the St Kilda game playing down back? He hates it...it will be the end of his career playing back
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2633 times
Been liked: 1863 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:24 pm

MW wrote:
bennymacca wrote:i still reckon they could play jenkins at CHB. if lynch is fit and firing that would take pressure off jenkins to help out tex, and that would also allow room for lowden to play as the second tall and resting ruck.

Did you see how petulant Jenkins was during the St Kilda game playing down back? He hates it...it will be the end of his career playing back

sh*t attitude...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3034 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby hawks21 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:21 pm

Jenkins showed to much promise up forward last year kicking 40 goals to send him down back now and not being a natural footballer would find it very difficult to adapt IMO.

Although a very young and inexperienced backline, we need to get games into the likes of Hartigan and Shaw before experimenting with Jenkins at CHB
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:59 am

I think the Crows will unfortunately finish quite high this season - between 3 and 6
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11915 times
Been liked: 3628 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:59 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I think the Crows will unfortunately finish quite high this season - between 3 and 6

i think you're quite high ;)
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3034 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:28 pm

Brent Reilly fractured his skull at training. Hope he is ok
bennymacca
Coach

Postby HH3 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:47 pm

bennymacca wrote:Brent Reilly fractured his skull at training. Hope he is ok

Why do the Crows have to have a player rushed to hospital every preseason?

Symes
Van Berlo
Reilly

Dont know what happened to Brent, but the other two were due to stupidity.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby bennymacca » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:02 pm

Not sure van Berlos was stupidity either. But yeah, glad to see you are concerned about him rather than trying to insinuate he is stupid.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby hawks21 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:06 pm

HH3 wrote:

Symes
Van Berlo
Reilly

Van Berlo's was a freak accident, far from stupidity :roll:

Hearing a clash of heads for Brent.
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby HH3 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:09 pm

hawks21 wrote:
HH3 wrote:

Symes
Van Berlo
Reilly

Obviously wasn't using it correctly...stupidity.

Clash of heads is an accident, so that ones not in the same bracket.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby MW » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:15 pm

HH3 wrote:
hawks21 wrote:
HH3 wrote:

Symes
Van Berlo
Reilly

Jeez who was the hard head he clashed with?

Stupidity lol
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2633 times
Been liked: 1863 times

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:43 pm

HH3 wrote:
hawks21 wrote:
HH3 wrote:

Symes
Van Berlo
Reilly

I'm all for Crow bashing, but you're way off the mark.

I'm sure Adelaide will be happy to have you attend and show them how to properly use the resistance sled that van Berlo was injured by.

Hopefully you can explain to them how the sled that Ian Callinan was dragging could have been prevented from hitting van Berlo, who, while back turned didn't actually have a sled connected to him. So, I guess you're right, he wasn't using it right as he wasn't using it at all!!!

Stupidity or accident? I'm going the latter.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby stan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:04 pm

Terrible injury to the young man. Hope he pulls through ok.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby kickinit » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:57 pm

Would this be the end to his career? Would suspect he would be out for a while, at the age of 31 and missing 12 games last year you would have to assume it's career over. If it is over, thats a pretty crappy way to end it.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:08 pm

kickinit wrote:Would this be the end to his career? Would suspect he would be out for a while, at the age of 31 and missing 12 games last year you would have to assume it's career over. If it is over, thats a pretty crappy way to end it.

dont reckon he was in our best 22 anyway, not unless he got back somewhere near his form of a few years ago. but yeah, pretty shitty way to go out
bennymacca
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL