2016 Silly Season, Trades and Rumours and utter BS

Talk on the national game

Re: 2016 Silly Season, Trades and Rumours and utter BS

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:07 pm

Would there be any interest in Colquhoun?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:13 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Would there be any interest in Colquhoun?

Not if they've been watching the Magpies this year. His kicking has lacked penetration, he's lost some of his pace and has struggled to regularly get a mention in the best.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10815 times

Postby Grahaml » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:33 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Grahaml wrote:I remember the Collingwood officials walking away from the meeting with David Cloke when Jason decided to pick them instead of Richmond, strutting as if they'd landed the biggest father/son haul of all time. Jason was meant to be one of the great backmen, then Cameron a dominating ruckmen. Travis did for a while become the best key forward in the game, but wow it was short lived and I imagine if Eddie today went back to that day and told himself what would happen young Eddie would laugh at old Eddie.

Where do your memories come from? Where did you see this at the time?
I remember the club anticipating that Cameron and Jason could be quality footballers, not necessarily champions. Sadly, they didn't live up to that - Jason had a reasonable career, but certainly not what anyone would have hoped.
As for Travis, the past few years haven't been great (and this year was terrible) but he's an All Australian, won a club b&f, our goalkicking four times and was a formidable player in our grand final runs, including our tilt at the 2007 grand final.
He hasn't had the career finish that I'd have hoped, but he's been a champion for our club. I don't think Eddie would regret that.

Who said regret? I just said they didn't end up having the careers Collingwood thought they would when they drafted them. One by one you've agreed with me, so I'm not sure why you start off trying to disagree.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby hawks21 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:51 pm

Jim05 wrote:Great year to have pick 1 in the PSD. Essendon have been into him for a fair while now and have plenty of cap room. Will be interesting if he chooses us but think he will somehow get to Hawthorn

Not sure that is the case Jim. 3 quarters of your salary cap is tied up for the next 5 years over paying Hurley, Hooker, Heppell and who else looked like leaving. You will also need cap space over the next few years to pay Merrett and the likes when they come out of contract.
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:28 pm

Richmond have put on their website that Prestia is on his way.

Kangaroos showing interest in Nathan Brown but the Pies have a contract offer in front of him.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 451 times
Been liked: 1222 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby tigerpie » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:28 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Grahaml wrote:I remember the Collingwood officials walking away from the meeting with David Cloke when Jason decided to pick them instead of Richmond, strutting as if they'd landed the biggest father/son haul of all time. Jason was meant to be one of the great backmen, then Cameron a dominating ruckmen. Travis did for a while become the best key forward in the game, but wow it was short lived and I imagine if Eddie today went back to that day and told himself what would happen young Eddie would laugh at old Eddie.

I remember the club anticipating that Cameron and Jason could be quality footballers, not necessarily champions. Sadly, they didn't live up to that - Jason had a reasonable career, but certainly not what anyone would have hoped.
As for Travis, the past few years haven't been great (and this year was terrible) but he's an All Australian, won a club b&f, our goalkicking four times and was a formidable player in our grand final runs, including our tilt at the 2007 grand final.
He hasn't had the career finish that I'd have hoped, but he's been a champion for our club. I don't think Eddie would regret that.

I thought Jason was going to be a 200+ gamer for us but his form dropped away really fast in his last year, very similar to Travis.
Cameron was never going to make it.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 505 times
Been liked: 432 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:59 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:Richmond have put on their website that Prestia is on his way.

Kangaroos showing interest in Nathan Brown but the Pies have a contract offer in front of him.

All Prestia has done is nominated Richmond. It's now up to the Tigers to offer up a decent trade or pick if they want him
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3556 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Jim05 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:08 pm

hawks21 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Great year to have pick 1 in the PSD. Essendon have been into him for a fair while now and have plenty of cap room. Will be interesting if he chooses us but think he will somehow get to Hawthorn

Not sure that is the case Jim. 3 quarters of your salary cap is tied up for the next 5 years over paying Hurley, Hooker, Heppell and who else looked like leaving. You will also need cap space over the next few years to pay Merrett and the likes when they come out of contract.

Not true
We will have plenty in the tank.
Goddard's heavily back ended contract is now over and he will be on only close to a third of this years wage. If/when Hibberd leaves that will free up $350k and Cooney was on close to $400k.
Heppell didn't negotiate a new contract so his wage won't go up. Yes we paid overs for Hurley but that doesn't kick in until the end of next year. Hooker signed on decent money but not overs. All the others signed 1 or 2 year contracts on either minimum or moderate pay. Most of the kids have re-signed already so it's probably only Laverde and Jobe that will cost us a bit.
Jim05
Coach

Postby heater31 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:59 pm

Are Hawthorn taking the piss or do they see something we all do not.......Tyronne Vickery a restricted free agent on a 3 year deal :shock:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Q. » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:41 pm

Grahaml wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:

Who said regret? I just said they didn't end up having the careers Collingwood thought they would when they drafted them. One by one you've agreed with me, so I'm not sure why you start off trying to disagree.

If everyone turned out like we hoped, we wouldn't need recruiters, just hope.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby stan » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:19 am

heater31 wrote:Are Hawthorn taking the piss or do they see something we all do not.......Tyronne Vickery a restricted free agent on a 3 year deal :shock:

The way they deliver the ball forward with the efficiency, well they feel they can get the best out of him.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby GWW » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:19 am

The way Port is going with key position forwards stocks st the moment, if we dont bring anyone decent into the squad in the next few months, we'll finish up with Jake Neade at CHF and Dougal Howard at FF in a wheel chair.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby helicopterking » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:32 am

heater31 wrote:Are Hawthorn taking the piss or do they see something we all do not.......Tyronne Vickery a restricted free agent on a 3 year deal :shock:

Clarksons career has nothing left to achieve, other then to show everyone that he can actually polish a turd.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 670 times

Postby stan » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:39 am

GWW wrote:The way Port is going with key position forwards stocks st the moment, if we dont bring anyone decent into the squad in the next few months, we'll finish up with Jake Neade at CHF and Dougal Howard at FF in a wheel chair.

Dixon and Westhoff are the only 2 forwards really left now. Howard is long term injured.

I wonder though if they are looking at using Trengrove up forward next season or trying it. With Austin coming on down back, Cluery and Homsch as well you could say they when fit of course the have the KPP down back. So if there a chance they might use Trengrove uo forward and as the 2nd ruckmen? He holds his on in thr ruck at least and gives Port something. Just a thought perhaps.
stan
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:43 am

Hawks are magicians but surely it's a stretch turning Vickery into a footballer
Jim05
Coach

Postby stan » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:47 am

Jim05 wrote:Hawks are magicians but surely it's a stretch turning Vickery into a footballer

I watched them turn spanger from absolute crap to passable.

Anythng seems possible.
stan
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:31 am

Hawks have taken a few recently like Vickery. Fitzpatrick, Ceglar and Spanger come to mind
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby helicopterking » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:37 am

stan wrote:
GWW wrote:The way Port is going with key position forwards stocks st the moment, if we dont bring anyone decent into the squad in the next few months, we'll finish up with Jake Neade at CHF and Dougal Howard at FF in a wheel chair.

Dixon and Westhoff are the only 2 forwards really left now. Howard is long term injured.

I wonder though if they are looking at using Trengrove up forward next season or trying it. With Austin coming on down back, Cluery and Homsch as well you could say they when fit of course the have the KPP down back. So if there a chance they might use Trengrove uo forward and as the 2nd ruckmen? He holds his on in thr ruck at least and gives Port something. Just a thought perhaps.

Trengrove is a very average kick. Not sure forward is his go.
Taking a punt and Trading Jonas for a young forward might be more the go.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 670 times

Postby hawks21 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:39 am

Jim05 wrote:
hawks21 wrote:

Not true
We will have plenty in the tank.
Goddard's heavily back ended contract is now over and he will be on only close to a third of this years wage. If/when Hibberd leaves that will free up $350k and Cooney was on close to $400k.
Heppell didn't negotiate a new contract so his wage won't go up. Yes we paid overs for Hurley but that doesn't kick in until the end of next year. Hooker signed on decent money but not overs. All the others signed 1 or 2 year contracts on either minimum or moderate pay. Most of the kids have re-signed already so it's probably only Laverde and Jobe that will cost us a bit.

5 years at about $750k would be overs IMO for Hooker. When blokes like Hurley extend their contract, they rip up the current one and renegotiate the last year as part of their new contract, so his massive salary starts next season.
Hibbard/Cooney helps a bit but i don't think you will be able to bring in too much 'top end talent' over the next few years at the risk of losing some good young players. I don't think you have as much cap space as you think.
hawks21
Reserves

Postby hawks21 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:43 am

helicopterking wrote:
stan wrote:

Trengrove is a very average kick. Not sure forward is his go.
Taking a punt and Trading Jonas for a young forward might be more the go.

Not sure how much trade value someone like Jonas/O'Shea has. Late 2nd round pick?
Even Hartlett now if Port wanted to trade him wouldn't attract as much as previous years with his inconsistency.
Port might have to look to the draft rather than trade in more players, their bottom half of the list (Amon etc) haven't developed as well as they would have hoped.
hawks21
Reserves

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL