Port Adelaide 2013

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide "off season" discussion thread

Postby stan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:57 pm

Frosty wrote:One thing's for sure, whoever does get the gig will been seen as a last resort.

Hopefully, this isn't reflected in the way whoever it is goes about things and ends up being directly proportional to the success of the club from 2013 onwards.

Port need to sort this mess out ASAP and attempt to get some stability sooner rather than later or next season will be a dogs breakfast and wooden spoon favouritism may follow.

They have lost 2 of there starting 22 dont have a coach and couldnt beat the gws this year. I thought it was already inferred spoon favouritism?
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1256 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Johno6 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:23 pm

So what round of the 2013 will port be lookin the the replacement to this coach?

port could do a lot worse than knights............... :oops:
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Strawb » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:24 pm

Johno6 wrote:So what round of the 2013 will port be lookin the the replacement to this coach?

port could do a lot worse than knights............... :oops:

he won a Premiership this year.
I am the Voice Left From Drinking
Strawb
Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

Postby Johno6 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:33 pm

i think port need a guy with experience,
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Pup » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:04 pm

Johno6 wrote:i think port need a guy with experience,

What do you qualify as experience.

I think someone like Hinkley is fine, you need a coach who can grow with the club and the players thats why personally i wouldnt be looking at Eade especially since he doesnt seem keen on it at all.

Criteria 1: WANT to coach the club! Be passionate about the rebuilding.
Criteria 2: Understand how far back your coming from, dont see this as a quick fix see this as a chance to build a club from ground up (Playing Wise) The reality is yes your not going to get paid as much as other clubs but you can come in using a broom and decide who you want to stay and go.
Criteria 3: Have good people around you, Recruiting and list managers are a key! as well as good assitants.

Like i said in the other thread pick your targets and preferably South Australians that can have an impact on the field and get them (Monfries,Russell,Gorringe,Day) these sort of guys and then continue to develop Boak,Harlett,Wingard,Ebert,Butcher,Gray and co. Aim for 5-7 wins next year, 8-10 the year after, 10-13 the year after and i think you would find that you would start exceeding expectations.

I personally think the foundation is not as bad as people think, Key positions are a worry but the midfield could be great in the next couple of years, They have pick 7 this year so that would be untouchable unless something amazing came up. Port fans need to be patient and i think they will see the club going in the right direction (I have re evaluated my thoughts on Kochie i reckon he will be good)
You sunk my Scrabbleship
Pup
Veteran

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:06 pm

dragonsphere wrote:Matthew Knights just arrived at Adelaide Airport......surely not!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha, surely they wont go down this path!!!

Actually I hope they do, sign him up and announce it before he gets offered a coaching job in country footy!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2335 times
Been liked: 3589 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:11 pm

overloaded wrote: Eade may also have had enough of Eddie McGuire and his bullsh!t and be looking for a change

Only non-Collingwood people would say that.
From what I've heard, Eade is loving it at Collingwood.
Why give up Demi Moore for Amy Winehouse?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 728 times
Been liked: 1083 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:15 pm

Dutchy wrote:
dragonsphere wrote:Matthew Knights just arrived at Adelaide Airport......surely not!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually I hope they do, sign him up and announce it before he gets offered a coaching job in country footy!

He's here to interview for the West Croydon job, but if Port move quickly, they might get him to drop into Alberton on the way
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 728 times
Been liked: 1083 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Port Adelaide "off season" discussion thread

Postby RustyCage » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:16 pm

West Croydon wouldn't be that silly surely!
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby GWW » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:51 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
overloaded wrote: Eade may also have had enough of Eddie McGuire and his bullsh!t and be looking for a change

Only non-Collingwood people would say that.
From what I've heard, Eade is loving it at Collingwood.
Why give up Demi Moore for Amy Winehouse?

I reckon Malthouse would have been sick of Eddie by the time he left.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:40 pm

Their is a rumour going around that Sheedy has thrown his hat in the ring.
GWS has told him next year will be his last and the Cameron will take over, Sheedy wants another 2-3 years and may be willing to get out of the GWS if Port offered him a 3 year deal
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3565 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby OnSong » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:48 pm

Jim05 wrote:Their is a rumour going around that Sheedy has thrown his hat in the ring.
GWS has told him next year will be his last and the Cameron will take over, Sheedy wants another 2-3 years and may be willing to get out of the GWS if Port offered him a 3 year deal

Did this rumour originate from Alberton? :lol:
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 533 times
Been liked: 551 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:49 pm

OnSong wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Their is a rumour going around that Sheedy has thrown his hat in the ring.

Did this rumour originate from Alberton? :lol:

No, from Melbourne
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3565 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:49 pm

Description: Power Mast

Port Adelaide Football Club Statement

Thursday 4 October 2012

The Port Adelaide Football Club confirms Troy Chaplin will depart Alberton after the club decided against matching an offer from Richmond to the restricted free agent.

Port Adelaide general manager football Peter Rohde said the Power had considered detailed medical opinion regarding the 26-year-old defender and was unwilling to counter the extended contract term included in the Tigers’ deal.

“Troy needed serious knee surgery towards the end of 2012 and while we hope he has many years of football left, we’re not prepared to commit to the extent Richmond is,” Rohde said.

“We would have liked Troy to remain at Alberton, but on terms suitable to the Port Adelaide Football Club as well as the player.

“In fact, we had what we considered a fair contract in front of Troy and his management for a long period this year, but unfortunately they were unwilling to sign.

“Troy has been a valuable player at Port Adelaide throughout his time with us and we sincerely thank him for his efforts with our club and wish him the very best at Richmond and back home in Victoria.”

Chaplin was recruited by Port Adelaide from North Ballarat in the 2003 AFL National Draft and debuted in 2004. He played 140 games for the Power, including the 2007 grand final.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:59 pm

Dear members and supporters,

It's been a while since my last communication, and much has happened in that time. As we often say, the Port Adelaide journey is always interesting!

I'd like to share with you some of the background to the big issues we've been dealing with over the past month.

Senior Coach

We are within a few days of announcing the name of our new coach.

We're probably a week to ten days behind our ideal schedule but unfortunately, as things panned out, this was largely unavoidable.

Far from being farcical, our process has been very diligent. But the combination of Johnny Mac's accident and funeral, and then the involvement of several of the top candidates in the finals series, has slowed us down a bit.

In the overall scheme of things it's a bit frustrating, but not a big issue.

This process is about building the best coaching structure possible. We are committed to this cause.

I suspect Brett Ratten dropping out immediately after presenting was more about how he's feeling after his Carlton experience. Senior coaching is a gruelling game, and for all of his energy and passion Brett simply decided that jumping so quickly back into the frying pan may not be the ideal scenario for him.

Leon Cameron's decision was a disappointment I must say. He was really impressive and whilst we didn't get to the point of formally offering him the job, he certainly would have been a strong contender. We wish him well at GWS.

Our policy is to avoid providing commentary on candidates still in the mix. All I can say at this stage is that the list is strong and has actually strengthened as the process has unfolded.

We are close to the unveiling. Stay tuned.

Chairman

I think the David Koch appointment is excellent for the football club. It satisfies one of our great needs, to grow the Port Adelaide community and our corporate relevance beyond the confines of South Australia.

We compete on the national stage in an elite competition. Our profile in the eastern states has dwindled in the past few years and I'm sure David will help us in that area enormously.

He is a hard core Port Adelaide man, who happens to live in Sydney and talks to a couple of million people a week through Sunrise - there's a fair bit to like about that.

But it's his clarity on business issues and passion for the club that most impress. We're very much looking forward to working with him.

The remainder of the new Board members will be announced soon.

Former Board Directors

Eternal credit must be given to the five outgoing Board Directors, for their enormous contribution of time, energy and passion for the Club.

Symbolic of this commitment was the process of self-evaluation that they initiated throughout 2012 to determine the best Board structure for the Club going forward.

The review - which included external assistance - resolved that a greater diversity of skills and a stronger Eastern Seaboard presence would strengthen the Board's capacity.

The resignations of Brett Duncanson, Bruce Abernethy, Mick O'Connor, Nick House and David Basheer pave the way for a rejuvenation that will equip the club to meet the challenges ahead.

It has been an honour serving these guys and I'm sure they will continue to be welcome contributors to the club in the years to come.

The only Director up for election by our members this year is Alex Panas. If necessary, we will have that election in December.

Pearcey and Chappy

I'd like to thank Danyle Pearce and Troy Chaplin for their long service to the Port Adelaide Football Club.

The boys are departing Alberton and go to Fremantle and Richmond respectively, with our best wishes.

The era of free agency is with us and that has changed the market place a bit. Different clubs place different values on players, depending on the needs of their lists at a particular time.

There is a lot to consider and to weigh up, and our football general manager Peter Rohde, national list manager Jason Cripps together with other key staff and our football strategy committee are overseeing that from our end.

Pearcey and Chappy are 100+ game players and beyond having their names on their lockers forever and a day, they will always be Port Adelaide boys and will always be welcome at Alberton where they have many friends.

On behalf of the club and all members and supporters, I wish them all the best at their new clubs.

As a club, we have our own plans in the free agency and trade period and we expect to be active.

We'll share those with you when we are able to.

Johnny Mac

I won't dwell on this other than to say that I was very proud of the way that our club rallied to support John's family, and our own family through this tragic event.

Our duty of care continues. Thank you to everyone who has sent messages of support.

Can't wait to start talking about the future changes with you. Very exciting.

Cheers,
KT
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7523 times
Been liked: 10829 times

Postby scoob » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:04 pm

Disappointed he didn't sign off with Love KT
scoob
Veteran

Been liked: 87 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:04 pm

Dutchy wrote:

VFL premiership coach in 2012 :lol:
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11927 times
Been liked: 3636 times

Postby Squids » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:17 pm

Knights would be an okay get. He will do everything to stick it up Essendon.
Squids
Coach

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 205 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby scoob » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:27 pm

Maybe they could get in Darren Berry as a high performance manager
scoob
Veteran

Been liked: 87 times