Port Adelaide 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2015

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:23 pm

Booney wrote:Schulz wanted a two year deal at the end of last / start of this year. The club was only willing to offer the one and I guess Jay accepted that, backing himself in to perform this year and secure another year next year.

There was some conjecture this was unsettling for the playing group, in a broad sense, as Ryder had been brought in and it may have upset some of the closer members of the side around Schulz. It was, from what I can gather, unsubstantiated.

I hope ( and trust ) that list management would take into consideration the delivery to forwards this year when considering Schulz' future.

Can I see him playing somewhere else for 1 maybe 2 years tops? No, I can't. I think he'll get another year offered to him at Alberton.

I reckon he's gone. think the money is more of an issue than the length of contract. This will only add more angst amongst the playing group as its obvious the Ryder deal is pushing him out the door. Wines and Wingard also out of contract at the end of next year so they will need plenty of spare cash to hang onto them
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2456 times
Been liked: 1683 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Jim05 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:37 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Booney wrote:Schulz wanted a two year deal at the end of last / start of this year. The club was only willing to offer the one and I guess Jay accepted that, backing himself in to perform this year and secure another year next year.

There was some conjecture this was unsettling for the playing group, in a broad sense, as Ryder had been brought in and it may have upset some of the closer members of the side around Schulz. It was, from what I can gather, unsubstantiated.

I hope ( and trust ) that list management would take into consideration the delivery to forwards this year when considering Schulz' future.

Can I see him playing somewhere else for 1 maybe 2 years tops? No, I can't. I think he'll get another year offered to him at Alberton.

I reckon he's gone. think the money is more of an issue than the length of contract. This will only add more angst amongst the playing group as its obvious the Ryder deal is pushing him out the door. Wines and Wingard also out of contract at the end of next year so they will need plenty of spare cash to hang onto them

With Butcher and Schulz gone they should have a fair bit of coin to perhaps chase a Dixon type
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1128 times
Been liked: 3650 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:03 pm

That extra coin will be needed for Wingard and Wines, wont be any recruiting done at the Power this year.
Is Monfries safe?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2456 times
Been liked: 1683 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Ruben Carter » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:11 pm

daysofourlives wrote:That extra coin will be needed for Wingard and Wines, wont be any recruiting done at the Power this year.
Is Monfries safe?

No. His 2015 form puts his future at the Power highly doubtful IMO
If you don’t like my words, don’t listen. If you don’t like my appearance, don’t look. If you don’t like my actions, turn your head; It’s as simple as that.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 75 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:25 pm

Tried to get him angry by giving him a bad beat at the poker tables last week. Didn't work :)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:58 am

It will be a new look forward line next year IMO, Monfries surely will be de-listed, Schulz will be gone and Butcher will get the chop, not a lot of talent otherwise for forwards in the Port camp, they'll have to go external.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4365 times
Been liked: 8068 times

Postby valleys07 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:14 am

Monfries is very much out of form, and has had a poor season. I can't see us de-listing him though.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 769 times
Been liked: 1173 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:17 am

valleys07 wrote:Monfries is very much out of form, and has had a poor season. I can't see us de-listing him though.

Why?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:24 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
valleys07 wrote:Monfries is very much out of form, and has had a poor season. I can't see us de-listing him though.

Why?

I would think Ken and the coaching staff would put the heat on Gus to return to his 2013 form, knowing what he is capable of offering the side.

The use of Gus primarily as a defensive forward this season, has been poor IMO. When given the licence to attack he is strong overhead, and knows where the goals are (43 in 2013 attests to that).
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:31 am

valleys07 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Why?

I would think Ken and the coaching staff would put the heat on Gus to return to his 2013 form, knowing what he is capable of offering the side.

The use of Gus primarily as a defensive forward this season, has been poor IMO. When given the licence to attack he is strong overhead, and knows where the goals are (43 in 2013 attests to that).

I guess, at 28 at least he has a bit of time on his side.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:34 am

He needs to play as a high half forward rather than the lock down. Bring in impey or Neade or someone for that imo
bennymacca
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:38 am

bennymacca wrote:He needs to play as a high half forward rather than the lock down. Bring in impey or Neade or someone for that imo

Agreed Benny. Leave Wingard and Gray deep to cause concern for opposition defenders, bring Gus up the ground to take some catches and apply defensive pressure.

Over the past couple of weeks, a noticeable improvement in Neade's game has been his crumbing. He seems to be getting into better spots to read the contest off hands, and is kicking goals as a result.

valleys07
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:39 am

He is obviously smaller, but I think his best role is basically what Tom lynch does for the crows
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:20 am

bennymacca wrote:He needs to play as a high half forward rather than the lock down. Bring in impey or Neade or someone for that imo

This ^.

He's been given the lock down role this year, IMO it doesn't suit him. Wingard isn't afraid of tackling / applying pressure, nor is Schulz, so I don't think we need a specific lock down forward. If we are to, let Neade do that.

Gray now spends more time in the midfield so he's more of a resting forward, he doesn't need to do any defensive work while there.

Interestingly Monfries was dropped last week but didn't play for the Magpies. I think if you're going to give a bloke a kick in the arse then sink the boot in, don't mollycoddle.

On Schulz, I think he'll be at Port next year.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7625 times
Been liked: 11096 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:32 am

Does Sam Gray play the lock down role? Haven't seen much of him bit I can vaguely remember him playing a decent game or two
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:42 am

I think Sam may lack a yard of pace to be that type of player in Ports forward line.

With another preseason under his belt at AFL level he could be an important inside mid more than a pure forward / lock down half forward.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:43 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:It will be a new look forward line next year IMO, Monfries surely will be de-listed, Schulz will be gone and Butcher will get the chop, not a lot of talent otherwise for forwards in the Port camp, they'll have to go external.

Well, Butcher hasn't played any role this year so it's hardly a new look without him.

Schulz and Monfries will be there.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Footy Smart » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:58 am

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:It will be a new look forward line next year IMO, Monfries surely will be de-listed, Schulz will be gone and Butcher will get the chop, not a lot of talent otherwise for forwards in the Port camp, they'll have to go external.

Well, Butcher hasn't played any role this year so it's hardly a new look without him.

There is no way Monfries will be delisted, he hasnt been managed properly IMO. Get him playing a proper role, trying to score and he has plenty to offer.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:06 pm

Booney wrote:

I was more referring to forward options on their list, I'd love to Charlie make the move down here, he could get an Adelaide United membership seeing as though he loves the reds.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:16 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:

I was more referring to forward options on their list, I'd love to Charlie make the move down here, he could get an Adelaide United membership seeing as though he loves the reds.

Dixon would be a valuable addition to any side I think.

At the end of the year the money from Butcher will free up, but as noted above, Wingard and Wines will get more in their next deals and I can't see either of them going anywhere right now.

I don't think we'll be a major player come trade time though, unless another club see's value in O'Shea, Clurey, Moore, Young and co.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL