Buddy off to Sydney...Swans!

Talk on the national game

Re: Buddy off to Sydney...Swans!

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:46 am

I dont see what the issue is, from Franklins perspective he is taking the best financial long term contract available, if someone came up to me and guaranteed me a job for 9 years on a healthy pay i'd jump at it.

From the Swans view, this is a massive risk they are taking - 9 years is a huge commitment!

Question i have, what happens if Buddy has a freak injury early in his contract and has to retire - could that financially cripple Sydney??
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby GWW » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:01 am

The issue of a potential serious injury to Franklin, and the financial implications for Sydney, are aparently going to be discussed during the AFL's upcoming investigation into this matter.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Zorro » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:05 am

GWW wrote:The issue of a potential serious injury to Franklin, and the financial implications for Sydney, are aparently going to be discussed during the AFL's upcoming investigation into this matter.

Why? Surely the AFL should just be checking the legitimacy of the deal and nothing more. If Sydney want to roll the dice surely that's their call.
The Cocks Will Rise Again
Zorro
Under 18s

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 52 times

Postby Q. » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:13 am

MW wrote:I find it ironic that the likes of Collingwood are complaining about fairness....you've got Collingwood playing 18 games at the MCG per year including 7 of their first and 7 of their last for the season. They get all the blockbuster games. Is this fair?

Which ground do you propose we play the other Melbourne clubs at?
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2397 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Dissident » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:28 am

If I chose a forward line, I'd take Buddy and Roughead, over Buddy and Tippett, every day of the week. Take out the amounts of money that they are being paid and it's not like they have a "superteam".
I love 'Food and Stuff'. It's where I buy all of my food. And most of my stuff.
Dissident
Site Admin

Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 158 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:44 am

Q. wrote:
MW wrote:I find it ironic that the likes of Collingwood are complaining about fairness....you've got Collingwood playing 18 games at the MCG per year including 7 of their first and 7 of their last for the season. They get all the blockbuster games. Is this fair?

Which ground do you propose we play the other Melbourne clubs at?

Moorabbin, Windy Hill, Arden Street, Princes Park.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:48 am

Dissident wrote:If I chose a forward line, I'd take Buddy and Roughead, over Buddy and Tippett, every day of the week. Take out the amounts of money that they are being paid and it's not like they have a "superteam".

Top 4 side at the end of the minor round will do for starters. Reid the lead up forward. Tippett deep forward and buddy on the prowl. Goodes loose in defence. Nice.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby Dissident » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:55 am

Reid will be there?
I love 'Food and Stuff'. It's where I buy all of my food. And most of my stuff.
Dissident
Site Admin

Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 158 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:57 am

Don't see why not. Could go to Collingwood I guess.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:01 am

I am amazed at the lack of disapproval publicly from the Hawks, to me this indicates that perhaps they AFL will not allow this trade to go ahead as is their right and the Hawks don't want to be seen as the bad guy with Franklin knowing that they will have to work a trade or lose him for nothing.
The AFL are saying they will investigate and protect $ydney from themselves. If Buddy retires after 5 years then $ydney must pay the remaining 4 years in one season which is impossible to do so obviously the AFL shouldnt and wont allow such a lengthy deal.
If the deal is bought back to 5-6 years Hawks will match it and then be able to do a trade with $ydney. Either way he gets to $dyney but only one way is palatable to Hawks fans and thats getting what he is worth not pick 20.

On another note if all the other clubs are so pissed at $ydney why dont they refuse to trade with $ydney and pick up all these uncontracted swans in the PSD so that $ydney get nothing for any of them
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2457 times
Been liked: 1683 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:06 am

i just heard Buddy told the swans he wanted to be there 12 months ago... :shock:
the fact he was average in the 2012 gf is making sense now :lol: ;)
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3068 times
Been liked: 2440 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:08 am

daysofourlives wrote:I am amazed at the lack of disapproval publicly from the Hawks, to me this indicates that perhaps they AFL will not allow this trade to go ahead as is their right and the Hawks don't want to be seen as the bad guy with Franklin knowing that they will have to work a trade or lose him for nothing.
The AFL are saying they will investigate and protect $ydney from themselves. If Buddy retires after 5 years then $ydney must pay the remaining 4 years in one season which is impossible to do so obviously the AFL shouldnt and wont allow such a lengthy deal.
If the deal is bought back to 5-6 years Hawks will match it and then be able to do a trade with $ydney. Either way he gets to $dyney but only one way is palatable to Hawks fans and thats getting what he is worth not pick 20.

On another note if all the other clubs are so pissed at $ydney why dont they refuse to trade with $ydney and pick up all these uncontracted swans in the PSD so that $ydney get nothing for any of them

the swans have done nothing outside the rules here. AFL can't block it. The AFL are just very pissed about the fact he didn't go to GWS...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby hawks21 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:12 am

woodublieve12 wrote:i just heard Buddy told the swans he wanted to be there 12 months ago... :shock:

3.4 and 24 touches? Hardly average!
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby whufc » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:13 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:I am amazed at the lack of disapproval publicly from the Hawks, to me this indicates that perhaps they AFL will not allow this trade to go ahead as is their right and the Hawks don't want to be seen as the bad guy with Franklin knowing that they will have to work a trade or lose him for nothing.

the swans have done nothing outside the rules here. AFL can't block it. The AFL are just very pissed about the fact he didn't go to GWS...

Oh contraie

If the AFL are that mad they will just make a rule which enables them to block the trade etc etc
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5652 times
Been liked: 2594 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:14 am

whufc wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

Oh contraie

If the AFL are that mad they will just make a rule which enables them to block the trade etc etc

ahhh, like they did with melbourne. you are not guilty of tanking but here's a fine anyways.
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:15 am

hawks21 wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:i just heard Buddy told the swans he wanted to be there 12 months ago... :shock:

3.4 and 24 touches? Hardly average!

you did see the ;) ;) ;)
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:19 am

woodublieve12 wrote:

I'd say the AFL have until Friday to change the COLA payment system.

If they do, Sydney can do nothing, they cant take legal action against the AFL as Sydney cant make a formal offer to Franklin until the free agency period opens on Friday morning. So no restraint of trade etc can be claimed.

Watch the AFL move swiftly on this.....but, if Sydney can still fit him in without the extra COLA then I think the AFL will be happy to take front page publicity in the week leading up to the NRL Grand Final.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7641 times
Been liked: 11105 times

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:20 am

woodublieve12 wrote:

Sorry WUB12 the AFL can block it, they can do anything they like. It would be irresponsible of the AFL not to block it. They can not afford to have a basket case in $ydney in 5 years time. The AFL will block it in its current form and $ydney will have to alter it.
$ydneys actions also remain questionable. Handing a contract to a contracted player before free agency opens IS against the rules
The AFL will remove the COLA as early as today or tomorrow. It will not be part of Buddy's contract.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2457 times
Been liked: 1683 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:20 am

Colless speaks out about the buddy situation and in reply eddie cryguire and malthous

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/w ... 2uqzi.html
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby am Bays » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:28 am

Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 1919 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL