Port Adelaide 2013

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide "off season" discussion thread

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:49 am

Booney wrote:
westcoastpanther wrote:Is Booney still here, or is he too busy laughing at the Crows for leaking players. That would be the least of Port's problems!! :oops: :oops:

Thanks for the concern, but I'm going fine thanks. I wasn't laughing at Adelaides player management, I'm just surprised how many have walked out of such a good "culture" over the last few years.

Anywho, I'm still thinking it will be Eade to take the job and if not Hinkley. As Hinkley has been touted for many senior roles over the last few years he is clearly close to getting a job somewhere and who is to say that Richmond picked right with Hardwick over Hinkley, GC with McKenna over Hinkley, Melbourne with Neeld etc etc.

As for Leon Cameron, if he was offered the job as we are led to believe and decided within 24 hours of visiting the GWS set-up to ignore a senior role to accept a succesion plan under Sheedy then good luckto him but I'd be confident that someone who either backs out of a deal ( if there was one ) or decides his future in under a day isnt thinking things through very clearly or simply took the $$$ on offer.

I knew it would be a tough gig getting someone to come to Port, we're damaged goods at the moment. It also represents a great challenge that could be very rewarding for someone to come along and turn us around off field.

Perhaps some of these blokes aren't interested in the pressure associated with the job. You'd think some would thrive on the opportunity.

or, maybe, people just dont want a $hit job and Leon Cameron is thinking things through very clearly.
I actually doubt Eade will take it - he is part of a wealthy, well run, top 4 footy club that can pull in 50k of their own spectators every week - the complete opposite of Port Power.
Plus, I dont think he's got the minimum 5 years it's going to take to get Port anywhere near the top 4.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 728 times
Been liked: 1088 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby overloaded » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:52 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Booney wrote:
westcoastpanther wrote:Is Booney still here, or is he too busy laughing at the Crows for leaking players. That would be the least of Port's problems!! :oops: :oops:

Thanks for the concern, but I'm going fine thanks. I wasn't laughing at Adelaides player management, I'm just surprised how many have walked out of such a good "culture" over the last few years.

Anywho, I'm still thinking it will be Eade to take the job and if not Hinkley. As Hinkley has been touted for many senior roles over the last few years he is clearly close to getting a job somewhere and who is to say that Richmond picked right with Hardwick over Hinkley, GC with McKenna over Hinkley, Melbourne with Neeld etc etc.

As for Leon Cameron, if he was offered the job as we are led to believe and decided within 24 hours of visiting the GWS set-up to ignore a senior role to accept a succesion plan under Sheedy then good luckto him but I'd be confident that someone who either backs out of a deal ( if there was one ) or decides his future in under a day isnt thinking things through very clearly or simply took the $$$ on offer.

I knew it would be a tough gig getting someone to come to Port, we're damaged goods at the moment. It also represents a great challenge that could be very rewarding for someone to come along and turn us around off field.

Perhaps some of these blokes aren't interested in the pressure associated with the job. You'd think some would thrive on the opportunity.

or, maybe, people just dont want a $hit job and Leon Cameron is thinking things through very clearly.
I actually doubt Eade will take it - he is part of a wealthy, well run, top 4 footy club that can pull in 50k of their own spectators every week - the complete opposite of Port Power.
Plus, I dont think he's got the minimum 5 years it's going to take to get Port anywhere near the top 4.

Eade may also have had enough of Eddie McGuire and his bullsh!t and be looking for a change
therealROSSCO wrote:Now listen to this loud and clear.....

I have not been approached to coach at the WFC this year, next year or any year. I have not approached the WFC to coach this year, next year or any year. This is an unconditional statement.
overloaded
2009 Punting Comp Winner

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Magpiespower » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:52 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:It didn't take Ferret head long to turn on his Messiah

Soon as the press conference finished!

One thing is certain in all this:

The Tiser is a rag when reporting about the club you barrack for.

But a reliable source about rival clubs you love to have a crack at.

Assuming they want to coach again, Ratten & Eade aren't in the position to knock back any club.

Even a basket case...
Everyone can eat s#!t! A big bag of s#!t! I'm the greatest man in the world!
Magpiespower
Coach

Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Dutchy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:54 am

Cameron is very smart, no doubt GWS offered him more $ and they have a team which will develop into a top 8 team much quicker than Port and they have a recent history of sacking coaches 1 or 2 years into a contract. No brainer.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2339 times
Been liked: 3607 times

Postby Strawb » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:55 am

Port need an expreniced coach but who is willing to coach them? There are not many lining up for the job and one feels the longer they have no coach for the more they will struggling finding one. I am surprised they have not looked at Mark Harvey, Nathan Bassett or even Andy Collins. You have in the VFL Gary Ayres, Matthew Knight to name a few.
I am the Voice Left From Drinking
Strawb
Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:56 am

Dutchy wrote:Cameron is very smart, no doubt GWS offered him more $ and they have a team which will develop into a top 8 team much quicker than Port and they have a recent history of sacking coaches 1 or 2 years into a contract. No brainer.

Williams was sacked, yes. Primus was told he wouldn't get another contract. Two different things.

Both clubs are at least 5 years away at best. Long time to wait, either way.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7531 times
Been liked: 10839 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:59 am

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Cameron is very smart, no doubt GWS offered him more $ and they have a team which will develop into a top 8 team much quicker than Port and they have a recent history of sacking coaches 1 or 2 years into a contract. No brainer.

Williams was sacked, yes. Primus was told he wouldn't get another contract. Two different things.

Primus had a 3 year deal with the option of the last year. Can understand if Cameron was nervous.

Yes both clubs are miles off but GWS have got a great start with 12 months of AFL into young bodies who are highly talented, Port havent got the same players coming thru.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby JK » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:00 am

Strawb wrote:Port need an expreniced coach but who is willing to coach them? There are not many lining up for the job and one feels the longer they have no coach for the more they will struggling finding one. I am surprised they have not looked at Mark Harvey, Nathan Bassett or even Andy Collins. You have in the VFL Gary Ayres, Matthew Knight to name a few.

I reckon Andy Collins is an interesting one .. Has taken West from the depths of the ladder and rebuilt the list and style to get them up to potential premiers. Already lives in Adelaide, has won a Premiership with Box Hill (IIRC) and wouldn't have to take much of a pay cut to coach the Power.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Dutchy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:02 am

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/david-koch-must-mend-many-bridges/story-e6freck3-1226487645449

The more I think about it I think Koch will be good for Port.

Sure there have been some board members removed that have had 90 years at the club combined, but they are also the board members that have put the club where it is.

Rucci has lost it, time to head to Tuscany for the summer....
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:04 am

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:

Primus had a 3 year deal with the option of the last year. Can understand if Cameron was nervous.
Yes both clubs are miles off but GWS have got a great start with 12 months of AFL into young bodies who are highly talented, Port havent got the same players coming thru.

I agree, but looking 5 years down the track based on the "potential" of young players is fraught with danger. Lots can happen in that time. Like GC found out this year the second season for the young lads will be a huge test.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7531 times
Been liked: 10839 times

Postby Strawb » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:05 am

Dutchy wrote:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/david-koch-must-mend-many-bridges/story-e6freck3-1226487645449

The more I think about it I think Koch will be good for Port.

Sure there have been some board members removed that have had 90 years at the club combined, but they are also the board members that have put the club where it is.

Rucci has lost it, time to head to Tuscany for the summer....

When has Rucci had it??
I am the Voice Left From Drinking
Strawb
Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

Postby Frosty » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:44 am

FORMER Hawthorn assistant coach Leon Cameron will succeed Kevin Sheedy as coach of Greater Western Sydney.

Cameron was announced as Sheedy's right-hand man and successor on Thursday. He will be the Giants' senior assistant in 2013, becoming head coach of the club at the end of next season.

So who's left? Eade, Hinkley, the homeless dude who plays the xylophone in the Mall every day???
Frosty
Under 16s

Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby stan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:45 am

Rucci is bloody terrible. If he writes an article its probably based on info from bigfooty or twitter. Actually he probably quotes the fake rucci twitter account.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1256 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby stan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:49 am

Frosty wrote:FORMER Hawthorn assistant coach Leon Cameron will succeed Kevin Sheedy as coach of Greater Western Sydney.

Cameron was announced as Sheedy's right-hand man and successor on Thursday. He will be the Giants' senior assistant in 2013, becoming head coach of the club at the end of next season.

So who's left? Eade, Hinkley, the homeless dude who plays the xylophone in the Mall every day???

The gws job would be a cracker. 11 of the top 14 of last years draft. How can you compare that to ports list??? You cant. Simple as that.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1256 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Johno6 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:53 am

Frosty wrote:FORMER Hawthorn assistant coach Leon Cameron will succeed Kevin Sheedy as coach of Greater Western Sydney.

haha that dude is **** sic!
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby OnSong » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:41 pm

Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 538 times
Been liked: 564 times

Postby UK Fan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:43 pm

GWS future isn't in doubt after next broadcasting rights deal unlike Ports.

I'm sure his manager would of been doing all the homework on it for him.
Last edited by UK Fan on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1205 times
Been liked: 507 times

Postby UK Fan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:44 pm

OnSong wrote:Image

Gold!!!
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1205 times
Been liked: 507 times

Postby dragonsphere » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:47 pm

Matthew Knights just arrived at Adelaide Airport......surely not!!!!!!!!!!!
dragonsphere
Under 18s

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Border Downs-Tintinara

Postby Frosty » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:49 pm

One thing's for sure, whoever does get the gig will been seen as a last resort.

Hopefully, this isn't reflected in the way whoever it is goes about things and ends up being directly proportional to the success of the club from 2013 onwards.

Port need to sort this mess out ASAP and attempt to get some stability sooner rather than later or next season will be a dogs breakfast and wooden spoon favouritism may follow.
Frosty
Under 16s

Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL