AFL 2020 Season

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL 2020 Season

Postby Spargo » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:28 pm

Dutchy wrote:Exactly, even if it costs $2m a week for these hubs but it brings in $5m in broadcast revenue the industry is ahead.

Broadcast rights would be worth $25m per week I just heard on radio.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5539 times
Been liked: 5172 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:33 pm

Dutchy wrote:Exactly, even if it costs $2m a week for these hubs but it brings in $5m in broadcast revenue the industry is ahead.

As long as everyone is safe and healthy, no price on that.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7524 times
Been liked: 10830 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:36 pm

Booney wrote:

Agree, hence why it seems crazy they aren't considering Adelaide as a hub with our excellent results.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2336 times
Been liked: 3593 times

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:01 am

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:

Agree, hence why it seems crazy they aren't considering Adelaide as a hub with our excellent results.

Really only have the one oval though, Melbourne you can at least use MCG and Marvel, Sydney SCG and ANZ, heck, even Brisbane with the 'Gabba and Metricon. Keep in mind they're not think 6 sides in a hub now, they're thinking all 18 in one place.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:44 am

The AFL will make this happen.

Victoria is the logical hub as it means less clubs have to upship and relocate, provides a heap more ovals with the likes of Victoria Park, Princess Park, MCG, Geelong, Marvel all up to standard for games with no crowds.

The AFL will back itself in to be able to provide the resources and systems in place to regular test players to relevant health department and governments satisfaction.

They will 100% have the governments backing, by having the AFL back it restores somewhat of normality and provides a morale boost, weekend excitement to all communities nationally.

Yes there will be a player who breaks the isolation conduct but the AFL will deal with that when that arrives just like they do many numerous other player conduct breaches.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5612 times
Been liked: 2541 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby someguy1 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:56 am

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:

Really only have the one oval though, Melbourne you can at least use MCG and Marvel, Sydney SCG and ANZ, heck, even Brisbane with the 'Gabba and Metricon. Keep in mind they're not think 6 sides in a hub now, they're thinking all 18 in one place.

Do you really need to play every game at the AFL home grounds though with no crowds? How many ovals in SA would have lights up to the TV standards, that would be the main factor. Westies / Norwood already would because of AFLW, what about the rest? I'd imagine they would be looking at playing 2 games every night with the shortened quarters to get the full season in plus more on weekends. As long as you have 2 in a state it could work. I'm sure the SANFL clubs would love a hosting fee if they could get it. Logistically you could play double headers at Adelaide Oval every day but how would the oval cope if we get a wet winter?
someguy1
Under 16s

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:03 am

someguy1 wrote:Do you really need to play every game at the AFL home grounds though with no crowds? How many ovals in SA would have lights up to the TV standards, that would be the main factor. Westies / Norwood already would because of AFLW, what about the rest? I'd imagine they would be looking at playing 2 games every night with the shortened quarters to get the full season in plus more on weekends. As long as you have 2 in a state it could work. I'm sure the SANFL clubs would love a hosting fee if they could get it. Logistically you could play double headers at Adelaide Oval every day but how would the oval cope if we get a wet winter?

Not sure AFL clubs would be happy with the away rooms at Richmond and Norwood isn't AFL standard.

Could play day games at Richmond and twilight/night at AO at best.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:05 am

Booney wrote:
someguy1 wrote:Do you really need to play every game at the AFL home grounds though with no crowds? How many ovals in SA would have lights up to the TV standards, that would be the main factor. Westies / Norwood already would because of AFLW, what about the rest? I'd imagine they would be looking at playing 2 games every night with the shortened quarters to get the full season in plus more on weekends. As long as you have 2 in a state it could work. I'm sure the SANFL clubs would love a hosting fee if they could get it. Logistically you could play double headers at Adelaide Oval every day but how would the oval cope if we get a wet winter?

Not sure AFL clubs would be happy with the away rooms at Richmond and Norwood isn't AFL standard.

The players need for income will mean they magically find the rooms suitable enough. It's already a mickey mouse season where the premiers will have an * next to their name, clubs will put up with it for one year. Im sure the clubs also receive a percentage of the tv rights so they need that just as much as the AFL.
whufc
Coach

Postby Spargo » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:14 am

Booney wrote:

Yep, can’t play night games at Richmond, the lighting is terrible (shouldn’t play SANFL at night there either IMO)
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5539 times
Been liked: 5172 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:30 am

Booney wrote:

Do they need to be night games?

Could use a couple of suburban grounds for day games, you could squeeze two evening games at AO on the same night.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:37 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:

Do they need to be night games?

Could use a couple of suburban grounds for day games, you could squeeze two evening games at AO on the same night.
I’d imagine they would be playing games every day of the week so night games are essential for TV ratings
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3566 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:52 am

Spargo wrote:
Booney wrote:

Yep, can’t play night games at Richmond, the lighting is terrible (shouldn’t play SANFL at night there either IMO)

I should have said Norwood isn't SANFL standard, actually.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:54 am

Spargo wrote:Yep, can’t play night games at Richmond, the lighting is terrible (shouldn’t play SANFL at night there either IMO)

I'm not convinced that any SANFL ovals are up to scratch for actual games.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:56 am

Jim05 wrote:I’d imagine they would be playing games every day of the week so night games are essential for TV ratings

Yup I think it'll be like the BBL - a game a night, perhaps double headers on Saturday afternoon/evenings.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4041 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:02 am

The Bedge wrote:
Jim05 wrote:I’d imagine they would be playing games every day of the week so night games are essential for TV ratings

Yup I think it'll be like the BBL - a game a night, perhaps double headers on Saturday afternoon/evenings.
The AFL have said they still want 22 rounds so yep teams will be playing every 4-5 days and games will be on at prime time every night with double headers on weekends
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3566 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:03 am

The Bedge wrote:

You'd think they'd smash out a heap of games during the day on weekends, 11am starts even.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:06 am

Jim05 wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

The AFL have said they still want 22 rounds so yep teams will be playing every 4-5 days and games will be on at prime time every night with double headers on weekends

I think bare minimum for weekends would be triple headers 12pm,3pm,6pm.

In theory you could almost go quaruple headers:

11pm- MCG
2pm- Marvel
5pm- MCG
8pm- Marvel

They would have enough time to swap teams over between games etc, they would only need two tv crews which they would have as they cover two games on a day as it is at the moment.
Last edited by whufc on Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:08 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Spargo wrote:Yep, can’t play night games at Richmond, the lighting is terrible (shouldn’t play SANFL at night there either IMO)

I'm not convinced that any SANFL ovals are up to scratch for actual games.

Happy for the AFL to install better lighting at Hisense Oval (Richmond) :D

Actual ground is magnificent
Last edited by Brodlach on Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby The Bedge » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:08 am

Monday 7pm
Tuesday 7pm
Wednesday 7pm
Thursday 7pm
Friday 7pm
Saturday 2pm
Saturday 6pm
Sunday 2pm
Sunday 6pm

That's 9x time slots.. might use multiple grounds on the weekends as well?

Play Monday, then Saturday.. then Thursday, then Tuesday.. then Sunday, then Friday vs Collingwood. 5x day breaks
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4041 times

Postby am Bays » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:08 am

Noarlunga's surface is suitable but the away rooms were no good from the start and then they made them worse once they took the internal corridor out.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 1832 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL